Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki 'Swift RS' Limited Edition Launched

Better sticker jobs are done by small time shops - and did you say a limited edition with 'black wheel caps' ?? what is this, an entry in the Indian laughter challenge?
MSIL has all the ingredients for a 'real' RS - just plonk the 1.4 engine from Ertiga into Swift and tune it to churn out around 110 bhp. Match it with a nice body kit and alloys. Maybe faux leather seats. Sell as an affordable hot hatch.
Why don't they want to realize this simple math?

Last edited by blackasta : 3rd July 2013 at 14:41.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:37   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Its not a paint job. its a sticker job

There are hints on updated swift but it is more of cosmetic changes like we had with previous generation. It took them 2005-2011 to come up with all new swift . So I dont think another all new swift will come before 2015
True, not at all new Swift , but a slightly facelifted swift..
I was super excited when I read the headline, but after I read the specs ..
Old 3rd July 2013, 14:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
IMO, the price increase justifies what one is getting. For eg. the upholstery and music system can alone add upto significant number in that price increase, isn't it?
Yes as far as the premium of 25k is concerned, it is justified by the 8 additional things which they are giving. No problem in that.

And you are also right, people can't see a MS car as a performance oriented one. But here I would like to add that, the Kizashi was launched in a completely different segment, as a completely new model, Maruti had never forayed in this territory and it fell flat on its face(shared some tit-bits with the SX4 and there were already spectacular cars like the Laura,Jetta,Accord in that price range, perfect recipe for disaster).

But the hatchback segment is Maruti's forte and I think a high performance Swift will be accepted quite well. Here I mean to say, Maruti shouldn't be looking at numbers with this Swift, but look at offering an Indian version of the hot-hatches like Polo GT. And we both, wouldn't mind buying the Swift Sport, instead of the GT given the cheap and readily available spares, low maintanence, and proven Japanese reliabilty, would we ?

There is only 1 player currently in the hot-hatch market (the Polo GT) and we all know its selling in decent numbers even though at a premium.
I know this would be taking chances again, but why not launch the Swift Sport and see for themselves how it fairs against the sole competitor?

I just searched for the mileage and it has a combined average of 15-16 kmpl, which is definitely good given its quite powerful a car.

So, MSIL, if you really want to term a model as "Limited Edition", launch one like this and it will definitely be one hell of a Limited Edition to own and will be true to its name.

-Bhargav
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti Suzuki 'Swift RS' Limited Edition Launched-suzukiswiftsportsuzukiswiftsportinteriorinfonewcarcenter.jpg  

Octane_Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:00   #49
BHPian

R.S = Rally Sport (for the world)

R.S = Really Silly (for Maruti)

Mods: Sorry but couldn't resist

Decals and bumper kits with wheel caps!!! now I know the true meaning of RS
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:44   #50
BHPian

They should launch the swift RS with the 90bhp multijet. Not as a limited edition cosmetic job.
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:53   #51
Senior - BHPian

Yet another standard issue Maruti "limited edition" - along the same lines as all others that have come before it.

What sticks in my craw, however, is the name. Come on, RS? Are you really serious Maruti?

And where is Ford in all this? They use the RS and ST monickers for their warm and hot models of Fiesta and Focus in Europe. I want to see a comment from Ford ...
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the pic of the car I wonder what happens if this car meets with an accident in the long run and needs a door replacement or kit replacement(say 4-5 years later). Will MASS be able to source the same vinyls or kit?
Old 3rd July 2013, 17:17   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
If I am am buying them from MGA, yes! If not, all these kits can be done up for less than the quote price.

MSIL should have been a little kind to the 'RS' moniker.
Don't know about Madras, but in Delhi NCR, aftermarket shops sell parts at unbelievable price (though low on quality). Eg: MASS offers a pair of internally adjustable ORVMs for Alto for Rs.2700 (enquired December last year), whereas the same is available at aftermarket shops for Rs. 600.

I think the Music System (including speakers and wiring) will cost you minimum 18k. Add to that, 1k for illuminated scuff plates, 1k for exterior sticker work (plus wheel cover painting), 5k for complete 3-peice bodykit. So, this equals to ~25k. Will aftermarket shops give Art Leather Seat Covers for free?

I feel this is a true VFM offering considering the price increase. This is a limited edition just to boost up the sales of the Swift and plonking a bigger engine would be useless for a limited period. The Swift Sport will cater to the demands of the performance-hungry. This version is surely for those looking for bling-bling stuff and not performance.

A price increase of 25k is well justified. With more add-ons like alloy wheels with wider tyres and ABS would have increased the price at least by ~50k and one would have definitely gone for the Z variant by spending ~20k more. And, yes, I agree that 'RS' is definitely not justified.

But, answer for the 'Which car have you bought?' question as 'Swift RS' sounds great!
Loud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 17:34   #54
Senior - BHPian

Any sports/ sporty car without ABS & Airbags is a no go. Add to this the average to poor brakes on current versions (L & V variants) makes this case a posers cars only. All the Pappus will now drive fast with a sillier & overconfident oozing smile right in front of colleges where they could not get admission to, just to impress girls.

Ranting aside, IMO, Maruti Suzuki should have offered ABS+Airbags, at least 15" low riders alloys, touchscreen infotainment, soft touch true leather seats, etc to justify the RS nameplate they are trying to create for Swift brand. They could have easily tuned the Suzuki derived Petrol engines for more power at least.

BTW, Swift's sales were around 0.96 million mark around May-13 (if I recall the reports correctly) & in Jun-13 they must have sold another 15k (without doubt), so they are bound to cross the 1 million mark & this variant can be a catalyst/ contributor in the same. But, I am definitely not satisfied with this & feel Suzuki is short charging the Indian... almost taking us for granted.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:17   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post

They tried that once - with the Kizashi. All of know how that panned out. Though it must be said they priced themselves out of the market.

Thing is their vehicles arent cheap - A swift isn't exactly a bargain when compared to a loaded i20. If they were to introduce a proper Swift Sport, it would expose how barebones the current swift is. Neither would the new car come cheap, meaning no takers for the vehicle. There's just no point.

Dont expect a real RS Swift. Its a Limited Edition Maruti, expect a sticker job.
Who would pay so much for a suzuki? That is the main reason why they dint sell in numbers. However for a hatchback, its a different scenario. A hot hatch is something india lacks and if suzuki gets it to india, there will be a good number of buyers for sure. Ofcourse, the pricing has to be played with fairly. If not the swift sport, how hard is it to pull out the old sx4's engine and plonk it into the new swift, tweak the suspension and brakes and call it an rs edition. Doesnt that make more sense?
kingofmyworld is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:53   #56
Senior - BHPian

Dont get excited mate, take it easy! You think MSIL is going to give you fancy HU with speakers and wiring. You will get the cheap Nippon HU and the speakers from the ZDi. You think its worth 18K, dont be kidding!

Add the price of rest of the accessories you found out, you will easily pay that 25K! With that 25K, I think you can make a Swift RS with your own colour choice of stickers. Why stick to blue OVRMs and black wheel caps

Pure Value!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud View Post
Don't know about Madras, but in Delhi NCR, aftermarket shops sell parts at unbelievable price (though low on quality). Eg: MASS offers a pair of internally adjustable ORVMs for Alto for Rs.2700 (enquired December last year), whereas the same is available at aftermarket shops for Rs. 600.

I think the Music System (including speakers and wiring) will cost you minimum 18k. Add to that, 1k for illuminated scuff plates, 1k for exterior sticker work (plus wheel cover painting), 5k for complete 3-peice bodykit. So, this equals to ~25k. Will aftermarket shops give Art Leather Seat Covers for free?

I feel this is a true VFM offering considering the price increase. This is a limited edition just to boost up the sales of the Swift and plonking a bigger engine would be useless for a limited period. The Swift Sport will cater to the demands of the performance-hungry. This version is surely for those looking for bling-bling stuff and not performance.

A price increase of 25k is well justified. With more add-ons like alloy wheels with wider tyres and ABS would have increased the price at least by ~50k and one would have definitely gone for the Z variant by spending ~20k more. And, yes, I agree that 'RS' is definitely not justified.

But, answer for the 'Which car have you bought?' question as 'Swift RS' sounds great!
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:59   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
If not the swift sport, how hard is it to pull out the old sx4's engine and plonk it into the new swift, tweak the suspension and brakes and call it an rs edition. Doesnt that make more sense?
kingofmyworld, the Swift Sport, has the same 1.6 VVT engine churning out a whopping 130 BHP!!

So as you have said, its quite sensible to bump the SX4 engine's current power output of 105 ps to 125-130 ps and plonk it in the Swift, give dual exhaust tips, xenon lamps, some new dual paint-schemes (a la Mini, Evoque?) plus throw in some creature comforts like steering controls and other bells and whistles to the interior, then it will definitely be the best hatch in India till date!

Maruti Suzuki India Limited, are you reading this?

-Bhargav

Last edited by Octane_Power : 3rd July 2013 at 19:01.
Old 3rd July 2013, 21:07   #58
BHPian

How I wished to get hold of the person who suggested this stickering work and black wheel caps and thwack him.

Really the height of limited edition.
Old 4th July 2013, 05:33   #59

Maruti has always come out with many such limited edition models of its cars with no substance at all. But unlike other markets Indian car makers can take advantage of the Indian consumers. The decals look cheap in my opinion and with zero changes to the engine or the mechanicals this should be called a celebration edition, than an RS. RS, GT etc are losing its meaning when it comes to the Indian market.
Old 4th July 2013, 11:34   #60
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki 'Swift RS' Limited Edition Launched

This is what limited edition means eh? Stickers, new bumper and a spoiler and some random paraphernalia and brand it as a limited edition? Sorry but i dont think people will be impressed after looking at this as well. Rally sport when taken in the literal sense would mean you give it better shoes, slightly tweak the suspension and obviously tune the ehart for slightly better power output which in this case in abysmal stock. Not happening MSIL, i don't think anyone would fall for this "limited edition" monicker.

Swift sport edition is what India needs! Bring the hot hatch here! After all, isnt this market which gave you all the muscles you have been flexing lately?
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks