Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Spotted : Single Seat Car based on the Nano. University Project?

A few weeks back I spotted this single seat car being towed on St. Marks road, Blore.

Looked like a squeezed nano and the decals read "SAZ" which I presume that this car is some college project.

Looked like it was going to topple as the car kept bouncing on the rear wheels while it was being towed.

Here are some pics:

Spotted : Single Seat Car based on the Nano. University Project?-20130622-17.58.06.jpg

Spotted : Single Seat Car based on the Nano. University Project?-20130622-17.58.37.jpg

Spotted : Single Seat Car based on the Nano. University Project?-20130622-17.59.10.jpg

Spotted : Single Seat Car based on the Nano. University Project?-20130622-18.00.18.jpg
n_aditya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spotted : Single Seat Car based on the Nano. University Project?

That looks ghastly. And ridiculous. If it's a final year project,they must have got a re-do. But again, commendable effort has been put I guess.
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

College project it is. HKBK college. Runs on LPG / Petrol.

More details:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/index...024934a2cdeb49

http://bangalore.explocity.com/artic...s/54226/119309
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Aditya, is this a regular Nano becasue it looks considerably narrower in the picture?

PS: I saw you have mentioned that it looked 'sqeezed', so must have reduced the width

Last edited by Guna : 3rd July 2013 at 11:06.
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:29   #5
BHPian

Yes, this was part of a project and was in papers a couple of weeks ago.

I however have a doubt, wouldn't it be a straight design infringement? for having built something different on a original patented design? Or does this scape through because it was done as part of a project with no commercial interest?
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Just saw your pics and also read the news articles.
Indeed a good creation for a project. But dreaming of making the car to production is un-realistic. The news article states that it would cost approx 80k in production mode, which is highly non-practical.

Nevertheless, hope they got good grades for this creation.
P.S: 1.4 lakhs spent on a college project !! Pretty handful parents, I guess.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:00   #7
BHPian

Nano based quadricycle?
seems a lot awkward. The stability will be pathetic.
Old 5th July 2013, 14:59   #8
BHPian

Good effort. A motorcycle today costs 50-60K, adding another 20K to that isn't going to make the equation look bad. Vehicle dynamics, suspension comfort etc. will be some of the key things that would need consideration, which if not already done, would need due attention if they are planning to pursue the project further.

Quoting from the article @ Bangalore Mirror: Engg students create 150cc hybrid car

Quote:

Sanu Rahman, 24, Syed Zeeshan K, 22, and Syed Arif Ullah, 23, final-year mechanical engineering students from HKBK College of Engineering in Hebbal, built the 150cc vehicle as part of their a final year project.

No wonder the car’s name comes from the first letters of the trio’s names.

:Unquote

Thanks,
C_
Old 5th July 2013, 15:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

I may be wrong here, also i dont know the internal specs of this car.
But i dont see any novelty in this project. Its a total copy(not just copy, looks like they dismantled a Nano for this project)

Also there is no question of mass production in this, they will need to source the body panels from Shivaji nagar ?

If i were the guide, i would be more interested in knowing about non-nano behavior of this car
Old 5th July 2013, 15:25   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
But i dont see any novelty in this project. Its a total copy(not just copy, looks like they dismantled a Nano for this project)
Doesnt have to be novel. A project would be about an idea & how it is implemented. The success could be in the process, but not necessarily in the product. If not anything else, it gives them a hands-on, even as they get ready to move to the next step in their career.

They could have just used the panels .. not necessarily used the nano itself. The doors / panels arent really that expensive. Also, TML & Maruti both give out spares, which helps in situations like this.

Last edited by condor : 5th July 2013 at 15:26.
Old 5th July 2013, 15:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Doesnt have to be novel. A project would be about an idea & how it is implemented. The success could be in the process, but not necessarily in the product. If not anything else, it gives them a hands-on, even as they get ready to move to the next step in their career.

They could have just used the panels .. not necessarily used the nano itself. The doors / panels arent really that expensive. Also, TML & Maruti both give out spares, which helps in situations like this.
I am not downplaying the effort. I would have not minded if they had done a mix and match from different cars too(that is how you do when you pick from scrap) but this car resembles Nano so much.

May be they got excited and wanted to give a finished product type of feel hence Nano parts were obviously cheaper.

But i would grade them just based on the idea, the process, the use case( Safer than two wheelers, yet eats same space) as you rightly pointed out.

My comment was only because of the mass production statement that i read in the website. Its no where close to complete .
Old 5th July 2013, 15:45   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
My comment was only because of the mass production statement that i read in the website. Its no where close to complete .
Let's not take so seriously, points like that by the boys. This is nothing when you compare statements that car companies make in their advertisements where they try to show the so called "benefits" of their car as compared to the competition. These advt's sound hilarious.
Old 5th July 2013, 15:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Let's not take so seriously, points like that by the boys. This is nothing when you compare statements that car companies make in their advertisements where they try to show the so called "benefits" of their car as compared to the competition. These advt's sound hilarious.
. We need more such youngsters coming out with "Products" than getting sucked into vicious black hole called as "Service industry" that few visionaries created and doomed us.

Be it a car or a simple software, we need real engineering talent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks