Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2013, 11:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jeep B-Segment Compact SUV: Here are more details

Link to News Section

American SUV maker Jeep, a part of the Fiat-Chrysler group, is all set to break into the high growth compact SUV segment with not one but two SUVs. For now, the two SUVs are known as the B-Compact and C-Compact. While details about the C-Compact SUV are yet to be made public, details about the B-Compact SUV have begun trickling in ahead of the product's 2014 launch. The Jeep B-Segment SUV is all set to compete with the likes of the Ford EcoSport and the Renault Duster.

Here are a rash of details with inputs from Mr Mike Manley, the head of the Jeep brand globally. (Key inputs from AutoNews)

The Jeep B-Segment SUV will make its global debut in the middle of 2014. Production will begin in June 2014, at Fiat's Meifi factory in central Italy. The Jeep B-Segment SUV will be followed by the Fiat 500X. Asia, North America and Europe are target markets of both these SUVs.

Two other SUVs in the Fiat line up are expected to share the Jeep B-segment's platform. The Fiat 500X crossover and the next generation Fiat Panda XL (according to AutoBild) are the two models that will share the Small Wide Architecture. The Fiat group's Small Wide Architecture was first used for the 500L hatchback.

Jeep B-Segment Compact SUV: Here are more details-fiat-500x-crossover-1.jpg

This very platform is also expected to host the 500L Living (a 7 seat MPV due for a launch this month). Both front wheel drive and four wheel drive options will be available on the Fiat 500X while the Jeep will get a four wheel drive option as standard. Petrol and diesel engines will be standard on the Fiat 500X and the Jeep compact SUV.

Expect Fiat engines such as the Multijet turbo diesel and the 1.4 liter turbo petrol motors to be the major options for the Jeep and Fiat compact SUVs. According to a report on MotorBash, the first Jeep compact SUV to be launched in India will get a 1.4 liter turbo petrol engine and 1.6 liter Multijet diesel engine.

As reported on Edmunds, the Jeep B-Segment SUV will measure 4.2 meters in length, dimensions that pitch it directly against the Renault Duster. Mr Mike Manley wants the Jeep B-Segment SUV to eat into markets of B-segment hatchbacks and C-segment sedans, suggesting similar price points and positioning with that of the Ford EcoSport and Renault Duster.

Jeep B-Segment Compact SUV: Here are more details-fiat-500x-crossover-2.jpg

Rumours suggest that the Jeep B-Segment SUV will feature styling that's similar to the Wrangler. Jeep wants to launch the B-Segment SUV in India during 2014. The SUV will share a large number of parts with the Fiat 500X since it is based on the same platform.

However, the Jeep DNA is said to distinctly come through and the 4 wheel drive layout as standard seems like one such move to underscore this point. An interesting aspect emerging about the Fiat 500X crossover is that it will replace the Sedici model (a rebadged Suzuki SX4 crossover).

Now, Fiat India has talked about launching a compact SUV in India. Given the fact that the Jeep B-Segment compact SUV will be built at Fiat's Ranjangaon plant, off Pune, on the Small Wide Architecture and with a heavy amount of localization, the 500X is a model that Fiat may consider launching in the Indian car market.

Jeep India first two launches will be the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee SUVs, both products imported through the completely built unit (CBU) route. Both the SUVs are slated to be launched in India by the end of this year. The real volumes for Jeep will come from the B-Segment SUV (due for launch in 2014) and the C-Segment SUV (due for launch in 2015).

These SUVs will be sold through standalone Jeep dealerships. Fiat India is looking at setting up Jeep dealerships across 10 major Indian cities by the end of this year. By the time the big volume Jeep SUVs begin arriving into India, expect more Jeep dealerships across the country.

India, with its low cost-high quality manufacturing advantage, could serve as a export hub for Jeep as plans are afoot for launching the compact range of Jeep SUVs in many countries across the world.

Last edited by GTO : 4th July 2013 at 13:00. Reason: Removing Rubicon pic, out of place here
JayPrashanth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 12:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Jeep B-Segment SUV: Here are more details

Will these Jeep offerings be competition to the Thar and the Gurkha? In which case this could be a much better option than these for the off-road enthusiast!
Old 4th July 2013, 12:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Jay,
Would you want to take off the photo of Jeep Rubicon? It is misleading the readers considering the fact that this write up is more of the SUV's based on the 2nd & 3rd photos.
Old 4th July 2013, 13:05   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Will these Jeep offerings be competition to the Thar and the Gurkha? In which case this could be a much better option than these for the off-road enthusiast!
The Thar and Gurkha are the poor man's options to the Jeep Wrangler / Rubicon.

I'd expect these cars to be not less than 30 lakhs. They could be much more once you factor in the road tax, registration and insurance.

The Jeep will create a niche for itself, unless and until JLR / Tata decide to give us the Defender.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 15:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

I just cant explain my happiness to see the Jeep!!

I hope it is priced within my budget or hope that my budget increases
Old 5th July 2013, 13:58   #6
BHPian

Wouldn't this dilute the Jeep brand,on one end you have a sub-10 lakh compact SUV and on the other a 40-50 lakh Grand Cherokee.Especially in India where brand value matters so much,shouldn't Jeep position it's products at a premium if it wants to sell the Grand Cherokee unless ofcourse it plans to offer it's flagship products at a reasonable price as well.

IMO,a better strategy would be to keep Fiat as the main/budget brand with the 500X being the competitor to the other CSUVs and Jeep being the higher end brand offering all it's models in the luxury space
Maybe Fiat is in such a bad state that they can not afford to charge a premium for its products even though the cars being of a different brand.

Either way customers would be spoilt for choice in this space in a couple years time.
Old 5th July 2013, 14:36   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Maybe Fiat is in such a bad state that they can not afford to charge a premium for its products even though the cars being of a different brand.

Either way customers would be spoilt for choice in this space in a couple years time.
I hope you are right and will get Jeeps at affordable price.
But I doubt it. If they are going to import the vehicles, then obviously customs duty and taxes will make it expensive. If they are building the vehicles in India, the price can be less, but they will invest in such facilities only after a certain volume level is reached. Having a long term plan and investing upfront - I don't think they are going to do that. The way they are managing and awarding their dealerships and service centres is not giving a good indication in that direction.

If Fiat launches any new model under 15L in 2014, I will be among the first people to buy it. My Punto is 4 years old and I want to go for a new car. Linea is not much different. I wish they were still selling Fiat 500.
Old 5th July 2013, 14:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Wouldn't this dilute the Jeep brand,on one end you have a sub-10 lakh compact SUV and on the other a 40-50 lakh Grand Cherokee.Especially in India where brand value matters so much
Well Toyota sell the 5 lac Etios and one crore Land Cruiser side by side, so maybe it won't be problem by itself, I think. Establishing the Jeep brand in India will be a much tougher problem. And anyway I highly doubt the B segment Suv will be sub-10 lac. Unless they manufacture here.
Old 5th July 2013, 14:47   #9
BHPian

Expect they will use the fiat badging as seen on these images and keep Jeep much more premium. Can't see them using the Jeep badge on a sub 10-lakh entry level SUV.
Old 5th July 2013, 14:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep B-segment model will feature Wrangler inspired styling and a Duster-like 4.2 meter footprint. Production will happen at Ranjangaon. So, a sub-10 lakh rupee price point is a distinct possibility.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 5th July 2013, 15:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Thar and Gurkha are the poor man's options to the Jeep Wrangler / Rubicon.

I'd expect these cars to be not less than 30 lakhs. They could be much more once you factor in the road tax, registration and insurance.
I think it is a totally new SUV and not the Wrangler or Rubicon that is going to be launched. This one will be competition to the Duster and Ecosport. If Jeep can put in their brilliant 4x4 systems then it could be a competition to the Thar!!

At least i am praying that Jeep keeps it in that price point so that there is a better alternative to the Thar and Gurkha!!
Old 5th July 2013, 19:33   #12
BHPian

I'm sure Jeep will have some loyal following in India too just as the way they have built cult following in some places. But at the same time, we sure are in for a battle royale, since the Desi companies are also gearing up with some interesting concoctions of their own. Mahindra's in particular have been going all out for this segments with huge base to start with.
Considering Fiat 500 shape experience in India, It may not really be a bad suggestion to have a cutoff distance between the Fiat and the Jeep brands.
In any case, all the more cheers for the Indian customers.
Old 11th February 2015, 09:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Source: http://www.shifting-gears.com/2015/0...oming-in-2016/
Quote:
Fiat is working on an all-new compact-SUV to rival the Ford EcoSport. This SUV is expected to hit the streets by 2016, and will be a sub-4 metre compact SUV. Codenamed as the X3U, it will be built on Fiat’s modular 326 platform. This compact-SUV is specifically built for emerging markets such as Brazil & India.
The X3U will slot in below the Jeep Renegade and could be priced in the range of Rs. 6-9 lakh (ex-showroom).
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep B-Segment Compact SUV: Here are more details-fiatjeepcompactsuv632x330.jpg  

Last edited by rajeev k : 11th February 2015 at 09:08.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2016, 19:23   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep 551 seen testing with Honda's Cr-V and Hyundai's iX35 in Brazil.

Jeep B-Segment Compact SUV: Here are more details-flagra_jeep_551.jpg

The new Jeep to be called Compass will be presented in São Paulo auto show in November. Sales will be initiated only in the first quarter of 2017.

The 551 is a mini Jeep Grand Cherokee. By using the platform of the Fiat Toro, 551 SUV will be larger than the Renegade and less than the Cherokee. In Brazil it will be fill exactly this gap.

Quote:
The Jeep 551 will share much of the mechanical structure with the brothers. The traction and suspension systems also will be shared with the Renegade and the Toro. However, the version of the entry SUV 551 will be equipped with the 2.4 engine Tigershark flex that will have approximately 190cv of power and torque at the 35kgfm. The engine is built in aluminum. The transmission will be the nine automatic gear and traction 4 × 2.

The versions with diesel engines will use the same 2.0 turbo diesel MultiJet II, which yields 170 HP and torque kgfm 35.7 already used by Renegade and that will also be in the truck Toro. Just like in flex engine will be the automatic exchange nine speeds. Already traction diesel model will be 4 × 4.
http://www.microsofttranslator.com/B...s-em-testes%2F

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th May 2016 at 19:24.
Old 11th May 2016, 07:37   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Set to slot in between the Renegade and Cherokee, the heavily disguised model appears to be heavily influenced by the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee.
Quote:
Little else is known about the crossover but it is expected to ride on an extended version of the Small Wide platform that underpins the Fiat 500X and Jeep Renegade. Engine options are expected to carryover from the latter model so power could be provided by a 2.4-liter Tigershark four-cylinder engine that produces 180 horsepower and 175 pound-feet of torque
Jeep B-Segment Compact SUV: Here are more details-1.jpg
Jeep B-Segment Compact SUV: Here are more details-3.jpg
Jeep B-Segment Compact SUV: Here are more details-4.jpg

Jeep B-Segment Compact SUV: Here are more details-5.jpg
Jeep B-Segment Compact SUV: Here are more details-6.jpg

http://www.motor1.com/news/62651/jee...ailhawk-guise/
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks