Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2010, 11:46   #16
BHPian

Hi Vasoo,

I too recommend the MDS. Infact I did a refresher course in MDS Bangalore which costed me abour 3000 bucks a year back. I had actually learnt driving in 2006 but was not confident(you know the obvious reasons about the normal driving schools) so before I planned to purchase my car I thought of improving my confidence and driving skills.

I did a 10 day course in MDS(RNS Motors),all the chaps are very good and teach you from basics. I purchased my car soon after my course and within a year I have driven 10K kms. I suggest you to learn from MDS and I am sure you will not repent from your decision.

Do let me know incase you have any questions.

Cheers,
Sanjeev

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th March 2010 at 12:36. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external fornt editors, also Preview before Submitting posts. thanks
Old 10th May 2010, 13:03   #17
BHPian

Maruti Driving School at Yeshwantpur.

My wife wants to learn car driving and I thought she better learn from good driving school like Maruti Driving School.

I first thought of sending her to the one in Indiranagar but when I read a couple of negative reviews (like simulators not available), I am hesitant. The MDS at Yeshwantpur is asking 4850 for the beginners course (+800 for license).

How is MDS at Yeshwantpur in terms of teaching, simulators and imparting the proper driving techniques?
Old 17th May 2010, 11:31   #18
BHPian

MSD Yeshwantpur is quite good in teaching indoor (Simulator) and also outdoor (on road) driving skills. I will give 10/10 rating from my exp. The course fee is bit epensive but its worth paying. I did a refresher course to gain the driving confidence,I had learnt driving form a local driving school so I had a DL but I ws not confident to drive (the reason is obvious which you might know) so I joined MDS before I took my car.

I had earlier recommended Vasoo for MDS (please see above) and I guess he must have done a refresher course by this time.

MDS is always a good option incase you reside near to BIMAL or RNS (since only these 2 guys are running the driving classes).

Incase your wife decides to join MDS then I would like recommend a good instructor with MDS Yeshwantpur-Mr. Manjunath. All teaching staff are Vgood but still I was very comfortable with him. The way he taught me was excellent.

Good Luck

Sanjeev
Old 18th December 2010, 18:02   #19
BHPian

Re: Opinions about Maruti's Driving School :

Any more feedback on this? I am looking to take a driving course in Hyderabad (Saboo Motors) any recommendations on MDS or alternative driving schools very welcome.

Thanks!
Old 18th December 2010, 18:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
sorry for invoking an old thread. Does anybody here has experience of using the service of Maruti Driving School? How much do they cost and is it better than the regular guys?
My friend had taken them and he was impressed with them; but he could not drive later due to knee pains, so do not know how much he actually learned.

I have inquired about the driving school last month at Mandovi Motors (on Bannerghatta Road) and they have quoted Rs. 5000 for the same.
Old 19th December 2010, 01:03   #21
BANNED

The simulators at MDS are a joke, the steering wheel is too light and like a video game.

Otherwise if you value any attempts at corporate professional behavior and attitude from staff, please go to MDS. If one has to trust blindly, not knowing which driving school to choose, then try your luck with MDS.

Actual learning depends on your knack and how comfortable you are with people from different backgrounds (read driving instructor). They also ensure no driver is repeated on the daily practice to keep you "off balance" and prevent you from seeking a pat in the back for yesterdays "great" driving that you did. Every day there is a total stranger besides you who treats you like a kid. also useful for lady candidates and potential "complications" that may arise from familiarity

I learned at MDS

cheers
Old 21st April 2011, 02:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Need help from Chennai people.

Friend of mine in Chennai completely clueless about driving (cant drive 2wheeler either) is looking for one that will start her off in an Automatic car and then teach gear shifting in an MT.

Know any schools in that have this facility?
Old 21st April 2011, 13:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

@Mpower, is she looking for an MDS or any driving school? Non-MDS schools like Jayabharath (at Nungambakkam) have a wide range of cars and thus AT would be a possibility. Not sure about MDS having ATs though.

I have few colleagues who learnt driving via the MDS at Perungudi and I guess they liked the overall experience. One of them was not very approving of the theory sessions as in "what value do they add anyway". As an example he mentioned how the instructor had told them to fuel up early mornings before it became hot (for better FE) and which my friend felt was illogical. Told him the logic behind it and he was impressed.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:07   #24
BHPian

I had no clues about car driving before joining myself in Maruti Driving School. It was tad expensive, but worth every money spent.
The course consist of theory, simulation and on road. One better thing is, they ask joinees what car they own and provide their car accordingly. Since I owned a Spark, they provided me with Estilo. And one day, estilo was not available and they provided with Esteem.

Duration is 20 days and they make us drive in main roads. Astonishingly, the day after I finished my course, I took my Spark for a spin.

And now, they have lady instructors to teach the ladies.

Worth.
Old 21st April 2011, 14:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,
My inputs on the MDS, Well they are quite professional in their approach and on road practices are quite decent, they ensure both the learner and instructor wear seat belts, they drive with their a/c on and teach the student on how to use all the three mirrors effectively and to listen to the sounds and movement outside and avoid the cars getting scratched by silly mobikers. Simulators are good.
but all said and done, they do not teach any sense into the drivers. Night classes will be with High beams on! Though they teach the two options on headlights but never tell their students on which one to prefer(statics: my personal + 4 more friends of mine) I asked them why should we use HB, since i am a biker I feel its quite troubling when I see a HB oncoming, their reply was, dont worry about the one coming opposite to you he will adjust, since the roads are bad and a kid or a drunkard or a cow or a auto might jump in from anywhere keep in HB. They dont teach lane discipline and most important, they dont encourage to stop in red lights. They just ask the student to drive if the bus behind honks or if the junction is free from traffic.
I guess its the right way to learn in india! Be a roman in rome.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo
since i am a biker I feel its quite troubling when I see a HB oncoming, their reply was, dont worry about the one coming opposite to you he will adjust, since the roads are bad and a kid or a drunkard or a cow or a auto might jump in from anywhere keep in HB.
They do have a point about roads being bad/unlighted/someone jumping in etc, but it still is doable with normal beam - I never use hi-beam in city. But talking of bikers, in Chennai almost 90% bikes have the lights always in hi-beam (I doubt they even know about the low-beam option) and I find them more of a pain than cars (lesser %age use hibeam).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo
they dont encourage to stop in red lights. They just ask the student to drive if the bus behind honks
I would not hold this against them because in Chennai, it takes guts to stay at a red-light with a bus honking behind you. While I stay put, I do worry about them nudging the boot with the bus - they come so close to your car.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 21st April 2011 at 16:02.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@Mpower, is she looking for an MDS or any driving school? Non-MDS schools like Jayabharath (at Nungambakkam) have a wide range of cars and thus AT would be a possibility. Not sure about MDS having ATs though.
Any good driving school is OK. She went for a couple of classes in some local driving school and gave up ...apparently the instructor did not have a lot of patience and that has dented her confidence.
Old 21st April 2011, 20:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

MPower sir, I did learn from a private school and I know a person(he works in a driving school, but teaches privately too), if your friend is only looking to learn to drive, I believe it would be better to learn from you if you dont have time some good trainers do it for some money, which is effectively cheaper than what the driving schools charge.

The person who taught me, taught me the following,
1. he speaks english too, a decent gentleman - Basics of cockpit(A-B-C)
2. Gear engaging at the correct RPM
3. Seat belt, using mirrors(he ensures everytime we enter the cockpit, we perform a check list, like a pilot!! I loved it )
4. Driving with lane discipline, road signs, driving with common sense, stopping behind stop line, using indicators(a must if he teaches)
5. Decent stop/start techniques
6. Overtaking maneouvres
7. something which we see only in western countries: watching out for pedastrians in a turn
8. usages of pass/dim/HB and takes detailed night classes
9. Reverse/parking(all kinds of parkings)
10. most important for ladies how to avoid conflicts with 2 wheeler romeos(coz there were two girls learning along with me)
11. Finally tips and tricks to get the licence(exam tips)

If any one can have this comprehensive and detailed teaching abilities and some patience, one can surely learn a lot. So, I guess, if she wants to just learn I can give the contact of the person or she can goto the school and ask for the car in which he teaches. I learned in a DLS indica, but I guess now they are using a diesel ritz. The school has alto K series, santro, wagon r and ritz and as usual an Amby. So let me know if you need the contact.
Old 21st April 2011, 20:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Need help from Chennai people.

Friend of mine in Chennai completely clueless about driving (cant drive 2wheeler either) is looking for one that will start her off in an Automatic car and then teach gear shifting in an MT.

Know any schools in that have this facility?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Any good driving school is OK. She went for a couple of classes in some local driving school and gave up ...apparently the instructor did not have a lot of patience and that has dented her confidence.
Mpower, as you are aware Chennai is a huge place it might not be feasible to learn in north part if someone is living in South etc. Let us know where your friend is located.
Then people in the respective areas can pitch in with thier recommendation based on locality.
Old 21st April 2011, 23:14   #30
BHPian

@AlphaKilo - Can you let me know contact number of this person who taught you driving in chennai

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks