Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2013, 09:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: June 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Fantastic analysis (as always) Parrys & thanks for sharing that. Though it is better late than never, this time around the monthly sales thread got unusually late. If you don't mind, could you please share the reason for that? People who are used to getting their daily cup of tea or the daily newspaper every morning can understand the uneasiness they experience, when they don't get the tea in time or when the boy drops in the newspaper pretty late. Not getting the monthly sales thread up & running in the first week of the month creates far greater uneasiness. What a great relief to see this thread up & running.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 9th July 2013 at 09:24.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 09:38   #47
BHPian

Thanks Parrys for the work you put in this eagerly awaited thread.

Compared to June'12, Hyundai aside (barely), every one in top 5 (read: Maruti, M&M, Tata, Toyota) has struggled to keep the numbers UP. The strength of a company is tested in the hardest of months, not when everything is going great. For Hyundai, it is the good after sales service and then their network which goes a long way in attracting customers.

But yes, overall, numbers are going down.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:11   #48
Senior - BHPian

Dwindling sales and a weak rupee. Not reading well for most manufacturers.

The guys with strong exports like Hyundai, Nissan etc will have reasons to cheer. Weak domestic market gives them extra capacity for exports as well.

Read a report that MSIL is reducing the production of the DDiS.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:11   #49
BHPian

A worrying trend overall. The sales have been continually declining. This month will be all the more harder with the onset of the "Ashada" season. The declining rupee value and the declining sales are a bad combo for all the manufacturers.
A small observation, Fiesta sales seems to have doubled. A rub-off effect of the Ecosport perhaps?(Or maybe a hotelier/taxi company bought 100 of those) :P
Old 9th July 2013, 10:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

I closely follow Hyundai while going through these analysis. This time around it's again the Santro showing exceptional growth and setting the charts on fire. I can safely compare Hyundai to Apple and Santro to the iPhone because of the immense popularity of this product. It just doesn't give up. Competitors come and go but the Santro prevails. Hyundai clearly has more than just a winner here. It has a product that has been bought, loved and accepted by the masses. Long live this one. Kudos Hyundai.

- Another Santro fan.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 9th July 2013 at 10:17.
Old 9th July 2013, 10:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

After being in India for over 10 long years, Skoda hasn't managed to stick on to even 1% market share. Shame!
Old 9th July 2013, 11:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the report.

I wonder what made Micra sales jump suddenly. I think Nissan was throwing huge discounts on the prev gen to get rid of the stock and prepare for the facelifted and Active variants.

One query to MODS:

Why is the Vista considered B1 segment car and i10 a B2 segment car? Vista D90 has all the creature comforts, engine power, huge passenger space, FE to match and even better than a car like i10, Micra, Pulse, Figo and other 3 cylinder-engine cars like Polo, Fabia. Is it just because its a Tata vehicle? Also, the Vista D90 has a better engine than all other cars in B2 except, Punto 90HP and may be i20.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 9th July 2013 at 11:04.
ajay_satpute is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 11:05   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
After being in India for over 10 long years, Skoda hasn't managed to stick on to even 1% market share. Shame!
Agree, Fabia is probably one of the best premium hatches in the market by design, but Skoda completely let down their customer base by bad sales force, spares/service costs & non-existent upgrades.

Octavia was a massive success on sales, but they again messed with the service/spares costs.

Yeti is one of the best compact SUVs there, but low localization % means price is out of range of XUV/Duster/Top end Ecosport clientele.

Not sure what they are thinking :/
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 11:15   #54
BANNED

Thanks for the sales figures.

For the last 2 months, (after the introduction of Amaze and EcoSport ?), Maruti's market share came down to 40% (from the usual 45%). With no new launches and just with some cosmetic changes, this is expected for any manufacturer - just like Tata. Last year, Ertiga and new DZire was driving Maruti's sales. This is year, they have the new Alto only, which has not gone well with the buyers in terms of cuteness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
What is happening with Ritz? I thought it is the flagship model for Maruti along with Swift and Dzire. the sales plunged to a low of 2551 during may 2013 and june shows only a slight relief of 3250 numbers. dealers have surplus stocks of Ritz and it is not moving as expected? is this a sign of permanent downward spiral for Ritz, wondering.
Ritz was selling in good numbers at around 6-7K when Swift was in huge waiting period and with no discounts. Now, Swift is almost readily available, and even with discounts, so people are going by the popular choice. As per the current situation, Ritz can come back to the older levels only by a thorough cosmetic surgery at its bum!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 9th July 2013 at 11:29.
Old 9th July 2013, 11:16   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Agree, Fabia is probably one of the best premium hatches in the market by design, but Skoda completely let down their customer base by bad sales force, spares/service costs & non-existent upgrades.

Octavia was a massive success on sales, but they again messed with the service/spares costs.

Yeti is one of the best compact SUVs there, but low localization % means price is out of range of XUV/Duster/Top end Ecosport clientele.

Not sure what they are thinking :/
True! From a product perspective, Skoda is brilliant. None of their cars are poorly finished or bad vehicles (maybe, barring a few pieces). It's their parts and dealership story that has brought their reputation/image down, coupled with horrific dealership experiences for some members.

Yet is a fantastic, premium vehicle. I read somewhere that the Yeti 4x4 is almost 90% capable of what the Audi Q3 could achieve. But at its price one would now be encouraged to buy an EcoSport and a mid-sized hatch. Value for money markets will continue to equate size to price.

And agree on the Fabia comment too. It's one of the reason I'm not able to convince myself to sell it to buy the EcoSport, and retaining it along with an EcoSport might just be putting myself in a considerably tight position (which I have to still think about)..

Sokda has the potential to do better as a product, but it requires massive change in its management (for I don't understand how just launching new cars will get them better marketshare).

Last edited by k_ajay : 9th July 2013 at 11:18.
Old 9th July 2013, 11:39   #56
BHPian

Thanks Parrys, for the wonderful analysis (as ever!). I dont know what would be the rates this year end the way sales and US$ rates are fluctuating!
Old 9th July 2013, 11:45   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
What is happening with Ritz?
Even I am surprised to see Ritz numbers falling from their 5k-6k mark. I do see Ritz on the road but they are all the pre-facelift ones. I think there are just too many choices in this segment and there is no USP for Ritz. I think a price cut for Ritz can do wonders for it but Maruti does not seem to give too much importance to it now.
Old 9th July 2013, 12:00   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
But, it is developing a unique "cult following" share, like fiat ?!
stringbh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 12:16   #59
Senior - BHPian

XUV @ 1377 – how the mighty have fallen! I remember all the hype and hoopla. The dealers were too busy even to give a TD. Mahindra raised the prices to cash on the popularity as well. Its good to see customer having the last laugh. Overall, it is a bad month for Mahindra – sales have fallen 30% across the products – is something wrong?

Renault – you are next – Duster seems to be on the decline path as well with a 12% m-o-m decline.

Next month will show the truer picture of Ecosport.
Old 9th July 2013, 12:25   #60
BHPian

@GTO, @parrys and others, can we have separate numbers of Polo GT TSI like the diesel-petrol separation? It would be really interesting to know the numbers of the GT.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed