Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2013, 12:28   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: June 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Nano @ 2k, The facelift wasn't launched until this month, so the next month could see a higher figure, maybe 3k?

In spite of fat discounts, Aria refuses to sell. Or is it that TML has stopped the production and are dispatching on a order-to-order basis from whatever inventory they have at the factory?

Same sad strory with Safari+Strome. I wonder how will TML recover its investment on the x2 platform - both Aria and Storme are under performing. I guess in the short term, instead of flogging the old Safari, they should launch cheaper variants of Storme, maybe from 9 lakhs onwards.

Aug-Sep figures will tell the real story at Tata and their horizonext campaign's success for the short term. Considering they launched a host of facelifts this month, the dealer dispatches could bump up a little for July.

Mahindra!!
XUV at ~1300 is bad news! The slide seems to have started or became more pronounced in April numbers. Budget after effect I guess. Maybe that's why Mahindra reduced the GC to undo the price rise due to the 'SUV tax' - hoping to get the XUV back on top of the charts.

BTW, where is the Vibe? I thought it was launched at the beginning of the month. Curious to see, how it does.
Old 9th July 2013, 12:34   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
BTW, where is the Vibe? I thought it was launched at the beginning of the month. Curious to see, how it does.
IMO, Vibe figures is included in the Verito numbers.

Cheers!
Old 9th July 2013, 12:59   #63
BHPian

Given the state of the Rupee and the economic gloom affecting consumer sentiment, the overall trend is possibly likely to continue for some time. Its only newsy value launches like the Ecosport which may have people digging into their wallets.
A launch like Ecosport also has the effect of clustering demand around specific time periods. Imagine how the overall industry numbers would have read if not for the Ecosport launch!
Simply put, people are postponing purchases. It may be a good time to pick up value from the market. But then again, from a long term perspective it may make sense to buy models which are relatively fresh, so that they (kinda) hold some value for 3-4 years.
Old 9th July 2013, 13:48   #64
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the linea climb up by 60 units. I think the true effect (if any) of the T-Jet coming back and the discounts which are now underway will show in the July analysis

Fabia and yeti continue running out of breath.

Almost another 150 units for the Polo - the TSI effect perhaps?
Old 9th July 2013, 14:08   #65
BHPian

With more options in the Hatchback "Automatic" segment, it might not be a bad idea to have a section/data for Automatics.
Neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 14:12   #66
Senior - BHPian

Verna seems to be slipping quite a bit and quite steady as well. Seems like people are really putting off their purchase decisions cause i don't see any other reason why its sales should fall. No new competitor as such.

While i agree that Ecosport could not have eaten up into sales of Bolero/Xylo/XUV/Duster/City/Vento/Verna and what have you out there, i really think people did put off their decisions for a month to see what kind of pricing Ford brings in. Could that be a reason why the sales of a lot of vehicles got hit? I suspect that the July figures might show some improvement now that the Ecosport mania is more or less settling down.

Edit : Maybe the sliding rupee will really force most manufacturers to raise prices so July might be worse than June. So maybe July numbers will slide even further.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 9th July 2013 at 14:17.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 14:59   #67
Team-BHP Support

Some interesting movements in the D1 and D2 segments. The surprise of the month should be the Fluence with 200+ numbers, ahead of the Jetta and Cruze.
And it looks like a one-man-show in the D2 segment sedan space. The petrol Superb (75/126) looks real VFM in the segment, especially in the MT guise. On the other end, it’s shocking to see the Passat figures (4).

There is a sudden jump in the Fiesta figures – Ecosport effect maybe?
Old 9th July 2013, 15:08   #68
BHPian

Seriously why would anybody now buy a Tata or a Mahindra SUV/MUV at least in the metros, when you have a Duster or Ecosport options at the same or better price range.

The rest of the moneyed metro folks can scamper off to the Innova/Fortuner or the German cousins.

For Tatas and Mahindras, its really the 3rd tier cities where they may sell. Even there the customers may get more wiser soon.

Cheers
Old 9th July 2013, 15:09   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Some interesting movements in the D1 and D2 segments. The surprise of the month should be the Fluence with 200+ numbers, ahead of the Jetta and Cruze.
And it looks like a one-man-show in the D2 segment sedan space. The petrol Superb (75/126) looks real VFM in the segment, especially in the MT guise. On the other end, it’s shocking to see the Passat figures (4).
I am not surprised. The other day went to check out the Jetta with member Sameer here in Delhi. The dealer is a fairly prominent one for VW in Delhi. To my horrow they didn't have a display car for either the Jetta or the Passat. And no TD car either. Unable to understand how you are supposed to sell them without showing them to the customer. The ordeal didnt end there. Coupled with a malfunctioning AC ( possibly in line with the weak AC in VW cars), they didn't have any brochure and neither did the SA knew about the features of the 3 variants. On my telling him a zillion times that I only want MT, he still kept on telling me the additional feature in the HL Jetta as only the DSG box and paddle shifters.

Quote:
There is a sudden jump in the Fiesta figures – Ecosport effect maybe?
Have a theory on this too.
With so much crowd in Ford showrooms at present some people are bound to wander away exploring the deserted Fiesta. And the dealer is more than happy to pass on the unsold stock of Fiesta with attractive discounts to these customers. Actually saw something similar happen in one of the showrooms here in Delhi.

Last edited by drmohitg : 9th July 2013 at 15:13.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 15:17   #70
BHPian

Thanks for the much awaited sales data & analysis

XUV 500 dip in sales should concern M&M . The reduction in ground clearance by 40 mm actually contradicts the positionin of the product and may disappoint many future customers. there should be an optional model of 200 mm gc for customers who want to pay higher. XUV 500 with 160 mm gc sounds like a sedan trying to look like an SUV.

M&M was almost close to becoming the # 2 manufacturer with just a 5k sales gap with hyundai in december. That gap has increased to 13k with Hyundai increasing their lead in June.

If Vibe volumes are already included in verito sales (as mentioned by another member in the thread) then its a shock as a new product launch (vibe) cant even get 1000 sales in first month.

Ecosport likely to hurt Duster sales for next 2-3 months till renault india climbs down on pricing. Ecosport volumes should remain strong for 5-6 months till a new competitor surfaces in the market.

VW group seems to be sidelining skoda when it comes to offering new variants. Polo gets a GT TSI AT while Fabia which is an equally good product in being phased out as per media.

The Octavia launch may help Skoda climb up sales charts. Skoda sales at 1579 this month only better than Fiat and HM - Mitsubishi.

Chevrolet managing to keep Enjoy sales going strong for the second month (2000+ volumes) is a pleasant surprise as feedback I heard was not great. Pricing of the product would have helped get some volumes inspite of the inferior finish and quality of materials.

The industry is going through very bad phase with highly negative consumer sentiment. New launches with the right value proposition are the only saviours for the industry as of now.
Old 9th July 2013, 15:25   #71
Senior - BHPian

Amaze is down in just its fourth month in the market, Amazing !!! Now i guess they don't have any production issues, so the numbers are very surprising. They might not be able to produce 10 K cars per month, but definitely can do better than this. Does that mean orders has dried up for Amaze? Dzire is also down to less than 13 K. So i guess now on we will be able to see the real numbers from both the manufacturers. The fight has begun ! Till now Maruti is clear winner here. Same story we will be able to see between Duster & Ecosport after 3 months i guess. Ford will be able to stabilize the production by then. So my guess is Duster will settle around 3 K mark and Ecosport will do around 7 K mark. Lets see.

Mahindra is down, all models are beaten up. Not good for them. They should learn a lesson or two from others now. They tried to make cars like Quanto, Vibe without investing much & tried to make big profits. But market has rejected them i guess. Hopefully they will come up with better, completely new cars in future. XUV is clear case of greediness shown by Mahindra. They have increased the prices for XUV like anything after the launch & its success. Better they reduce the prices.

Tata needs new models now. They need to come up with something other than Indica, Indigo. People are fed up with them now. Safari is also struggling. Sumo is nowhere near Bolero in numbers for last 2-3 years now. Better start from scratch. Their recent relaunch for 8 models was a joke. Nothing new. Just small changes here & there. Grow up Tata, else Tata bye bye.

Maruti is doing good but i guess they need 1-2 new cars altogether now. There models like Estilo, Astar, SX4 are clearly struggling now. They need car around 4-5 Lacs in small cars and bigger car above Dzire. SX4 sport will do wonders if they launch.

Overall pretty average month for Automobiles. I guess Indian market is stabilizing now around 2 to 2.5-3 Lacs cars per month. It will take years to cross that mark. I am sure it will not cross that in next few years to come.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 16:46   #72
BHPian

Great work, @parrys!

We miss the detailed and informative analysis from @GTO.

Overall, the numbers reflect a general slowdown in the car sales. Uncertain fuel prices (especially Petrol), inflation, high interest rates and slow growth have taken their toll on the sales figures. Moreover, it's heartening to see the No #1 manufacturer Maruti releasing the Diesel-Petrol breakup. It appears, petrol variants of Swift, DZire, Ertiga and Ritz are doing decent numbers compared to their diesel counterparts. Hopefully, Amaze continues to be Honda's star performer in the coming months/years.
Old 9th July 2013, 18:05   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivethru View Post
XUV 500 dip in sales should concern M&M . The reduction in ground clearance by 40 mm actually contradicts the positionin of the product and may disappoint many future customers. there should be an optional model of 200 mm gc for customers who want to pay higher. XUV 500 with 160 mm gc sounds like a sedan trying to look like an SUV.
There is no actual GC reduction. If autocar is to be believed, this is the combination of a (1) measuring trick (2) adding of an engine guard. In practicality there will be no changes in customer experience.

Source:
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/349...h-suv-tax.aspx

On the other hand, a reduction of 33K is not going to solve the issues, in my opinion. Mahindra really needs to rollback the price increases they had and stick to the original price they had at launch.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 9th July 2013 at 18:06.
SkyWalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 18:53   #74
BHPian

I cant understand how Mahindra calls the Vibe a compact 'Sedan'. It clearly looks like a hatch. The only difference being the boot opening separately like in a sedan. Identity crisis can kill a product, ask Sumo Grande or Maruti Versa.

Last edited by veyron_head : 9th July 2013 at 18:55.
Old 9th July 2013, 19:13   #75
BHPian

Fiat and HM are doing their obligatory duty of staying in Indian market. Skoda is beating them consistently! Tata has given up. M&M is paying for over-priced, over-designed, over-gizmo'ed (read "cheap chinese") products.

The case of Amaze is very interesting. When launched, I thought it was VFM. Now, after looking at EcoSport, I think it is so much over-priced! A Dealer in A'bad quoted 9.12 for iDtec VX. It quickly ended with "thanks but not interested at this price point".

I hope Ford keeps up production to meet the initial demand. 4-5 month waiting would be deal-breaker for many.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks