Team-BHP - Mercedes Benz B-Class Diesel launched at 22.6 lakh rupees ex-Mumbai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Mercedes Benz B-Class Diesel launched at 22.6 lakh rupees ex-Mumbai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/138818-mercedes-benz-b-class-diesel-launched-22-6-lakh-rupees-ex-mumbai.html)

Link to News Section

Mercedes Benz India has just launched the diesel powered version of the B-Class. A large hatchback projected as a "Sports Tourer", the B-Class is larger than the A-Class in terms of dimensions. The car is a CBU import currently, with CKD assembly due to begin next year. Priced at 22.6 lakh rupees ex-showroom Mumbai, the car uses a 2.2 liter-4 cylinder turbo diesel engine, in the same state of tune as that of the A-Class. The engine outputs 109 Bhp-250 Nm, and is mated to a 7 speed dual clutch automatic gearbox, which gets paddle shifters.

Mercedes Benz B-Class Diesel launched at 22.6 lakh rupees ex-Mumbai-mercedes-benz-bclass-2.jpg

The motor is capable of propelling the B-Class to a top speed of 190 Kph. The addition of diesel power to the B-Class is aimed at bringing in more sales as diesel engined models are preferred by luxury car buyers in India. Mercedes Benz has managed to sell 500 units of the petrol powered B-Class model, a car that it launched nearly a year ago in India. Notably, the B-Class Diesel is the fifth car launch for the German luxury car maker in India from the beginning of this year. (G63 AMG, GL-Class, A-Class, E-Class are the other launches)

The B-Class Diesel is available in a single "Style" variant, which omits features such as 17 inch wheels, the panoramic sunroof, Bi-Xenon headlamps with headlamp cleaning, LED Daytime running lamps and rear parking camera, to make for the lower price tag. Compared with the petrol powered B180 Sport model, the Style version of the diesel powered car omits "Sport" styling details on the outside and inside of the car.

Mercedes Benz B-Class Diesel launched at 22.6 lakh rupees ex-Mumbai-mercedes-benz-bclass-1.jpg

The omission of features is a clear sign that the B180 Diesel is positioned as an entry level version aimed at boosting volumes. ABS+EBD, 7 Airbags, ESP, Acceleration Skid Regulation, Attention Assist, Hill Start Assist with Hill Hold and Adaptive Brakes are standard safety features on the car. Cruise control, ECO start-stop system and the COMAND multimedia infotainment system are other standard features on the car.

On a side note, the 2.2 liter turbo diesel engine found on the B-Class Diesel is a motor that is one of the most popular engines in Mercedes Benz's Indian line up of luxury cars. Available in various states of tune, the engine is now used on Mercedes Benz car models such as the A-Class, B-Class C-Class, E-Class and the ML-Class. This engine is assembled by Force Motors, an engine assembler for Mercedes Benz in India.

Mercedes Benz B-Class Diesel launched at 22.6 lakh rupees ex-Mumbai-mercedes-benz-bclass-3.jpg

The B-Class Sports Tourer is based on the Modular Front Architecture (MFA), which underpins the entry level luxury cars in Mercedes Benz's range. A front wheel drive layout (in the interests of lower weight and cost, and higher fuel efficiency) and an affordable price tag are the two major highlights of the MFA based cars. MFA cars can also be specified with an all wheel drive layout, think A45 AMG and the CLA45 AMG models.

Good pricing! Luxury arena is now facing competition we usually relate to the B-Segment hatches in India! This was what was needed to give luxury people-movers a headstart in India. Pricing was a crucial factor for the B to make any serious impact on the minds of customers. The X1, which looks more like a station-wagon is BMW's biggest selling model and I see no reason why this B-Class can't become a success. It's got that 3-pointed star, versatility and luxury into a package only ₹70,000 more expensive that that small but stylish A-Class. Apart from the MPV-like silhouette, I don't see any reason why people would ignore it. But the biggest question that prevails now is that, with Mercedes launching a slew of models with an extremely fine line of price difference between each (just look at the pricing of A and B class), wouldn't it lead to cannibalisation of sales for each? A and B are priced within an arm's length of each other. My guess is that they're targettin' different types of customers with each. A-Class for the fashionable urban bloke who already owns cars worth crore in his home and the B-Class for the first time Mercedes buyer! Still, success of B-Class is to be seen. It would be very interesting to see which one do the customers prefer in luxury arena!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

Quote:

Originally Posted by S@ndy (Post 3176069)
A and B are priced within an arm's length of each other. My guess is that they're targettin' different types of customers with each. A-Class for the fashionable urban bloke who already owns cars worth crore in his home and the B-Class for the first time Mercedes buyer! Still, success of B-Class is to be seen. It would be very interesting to see which one do the customers prefer in luxury arena!

A customer considering the A class will barely take a second look at the B class.

They are quite different in the buyers they target.

While the A class screams out loud with it's in your face styling, the B class will barely get noticed on the roads.

The A class has a focus on driving pleasure thanks to stiff suspension and low stance.

The B class is practical with good boot, legroom and very decent space.

In short, for self drive the A class is the best option but if you chauffeur driven the B is almost perfect.

I say almost because both the A and B are supposed to super premium hatchbacks and sport the 3 pointed star. A mercedes with no parking sensors and no climate control is a big miss in my opinion. I don't even mind the detuned engine but these 2 features are inexcusable.

Should be around 25-26 OTR Bangalore. That is a killer price for something at Mercedes quality! Mileage off about 19 & 50 Lt tank capacity.

I thought they had lost it after seeing the pricing for the hatch but this pulls it back quite a bit. If you dont really need the room, it is a brilliant alternative to a CRV or a Fortuner.

Dont know if it is the slow down or the unexploited niches in the market but all new vehicles (EcoSport, Duke 390, even the Polo TSI) are brilliantly priced. SHows you how much 'premium' we have been paying for last gen products.

any idea what is cost of ownership wrt maintenance over the years after the buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anupam (Post 3178040)
any idea what is cost of ownership wrt maintenance over the years after the buy.

You can go through this video and you will get a good idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_8VueuEtH8

As a sports tourer I don't quite think this will be an alternate to people looking for an SUV. The B-Class is more of a long distance runner with its good legroom and will mostly serve those who are looking for an affordable, cheaper to run, executive hatchback with the three pointed star on the front.

With the price that it is introduced at and with petrol prices increasing every fortnight, this product from Mercedes, with a diesel heart that it deserved in the first place, definitely makes itself a good value for money proposition.

Can anybody confirm what engine displacement does the B180 CDI has? The brochure shows 2143 but globally the same car with same output gets 1798. Want to know because I'm planning for one and want to order a tuning box for the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3176143)
A mercedes with no parking sensors and no climate control is a big miss in my opinion. I don't even mind the detuned engine but these 2 features are inexcusable.

The parking sensors are added in the MY14 models... Of course with a price increase.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 (Post 3416528)
Can anybody confirm what engine displacement does the B180 CDI has? The brochure shows 2143 but globally the same car with same output gets 1798. Want to know because I'm planning for one and want to order a tuning box for the same.

The parking sensors are added in the MY14 models... Of course with a price increase.

You're on quite a roll aren't you.

Its the 2.2 in India while abroad the B180 gets a 1.8. This engine isn't offered globally in this tune so I doubt you will get a tuning box for it. But if you get a remap from someone like Tune O Tronics or something I'm sure the car can easily go upto 180bhp.

Quote:

The engine for india is indeed 2143cc 2.2L CRDI unit locally made which is in the A180 as well as the C220 CDI.

It is detuned heavily cause of the front wheel drive and 7 speed DSG that cannot handle the torque as much.

The biggest negative of the B class is the rear seat. While legroom is fantastic the rear seat incline is way too upright at 90 degrees. Your back starts paining in a few minutes. India doesnt get the adjustable reclinable seats which means you're stuck with upright bench.

Quote:

Are you sure it's parking sensors? I had seen the MY2014 car at T&T in Delhi. It didn't have sensors but a reverse camera. Other additions are different alloys and an arm rest for the rear bench. The price increase was around 60k.

I did test drive the diesel B and was extremely satisfied with the in city drive of the car. It's the rear bench that's a slight issue. Just too upright.

Cheers
Rohan

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay1234 (Post 3416533)
You're on quite a roll aren't you.

Its the 2.2 in India while abroad the B180 gets a 1.8. This engine isn't offered globally in this tune so I doubt you will get a tuning box for it. But if you get a remap from someone like Tune O Tronics or something I'm sure the car can easily go upto 180bhp.

Haha just looking for a small daily use car for use in the city. I drove the B and found it really satisfying. The DCT gearbox is indeed a gem and makes the car too drivable in the city conditions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vid6639 (Post 3416534)
The engine for india is indeed 2143cc 2.2L CRDI unit locally made which is in the A180 as well as the C220 CDI.

It is detuned heavily cause of the front wheel drive and 7 speed DSG that cannot handle the torque as much.

The biggest negative of the B class is the rear seat. While legroom is fantastic the rear seat incline is way too upright at 90 degrees. Your back starts paining in a few minutes. India doesnt get the adjustable reclinable seats which means you're stuck with upright bench.

Will be using the car mostly in the city so the rear bench is not that big of an issue. And despite the car being a FWD it handled real well and better than almost every front wheel car I have driven. I feel the 7 Speed DCT should be cool with a pinch more power. If only I can find the right tuning box as the remap might effect the warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RohanDheman (Post 3416845)
Are you sure it's parking sensors? I had seen the MY2014 car at T&T in Delhi. It didn't have sensors but a reverse camera. Other additions are different alloys and an arm rest for the rear bench. The price increase was around 60k.

I did test drive the diesel B and was extremely satisfied with the in city drive of the car. It's the rear bench that's a slight issue. Just too upright.

Cheers
Rohan

Ah yes the car indeed has rear camera but they have also thrown in the Quickpark or something which adds the rear parking sensors as well. This is in Kolkata. The deal that they are giving is free parking system along with free insurance. Pushing for the free MB secure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 (Post 3416940)
The deal that they are giving is free parking system along with free insurance. Pushing for the free MB secure.

Adi, just received a text from the dealer in noida that atleast on the A, apart from the above, they are offering free 2 years basis MB care. See if it helps your negotiations.

Rohan

Quote:

Originally Posted by RohanDheman (Post 3416985)
Adi, just received a text from the dealer in noida that atleast on the A, apart from the above, they are offering free 2 years basis MB care. See if it helps your negotiations.

Rohan

Ah thanks for letting me know Rohan. Pls share the exact details with me over the PM if you can. Won't mind picking the car from Delhi if the deal is much better than the current one I'm getting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 (Post 3417523)
Ah thanks for letting me know Rohan. Pls share the exact details with me over the PM if you can. Won't mind picking the car from Delhi if the deal is much better than the current one I'm getting.

Adi just sent you a PM. Please check.

Rohan