Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2013, 10:30   #46
BHPian

re: Ford EcoSport Diesel : Recall

I believe this is a very good confidence boosting step by Ford. Most manufacturers simply wont accept any flaw and that is well documented (specially in India). It is a mature and very un-Indian like step.
Some people may still question it saying - why wasn't this flaw checked earlier. The answer is simple - It wasn't. That's why they say, it's a mistake. Now they have accepted it and would correct it, it makes no sense for us to give Ford some flak about it.
Old 12th July 2013, 11:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

I am yet to see an EcoSport in person and there's a recall already? It's not as if they are new to India and didn't know the challenges. This looks more like "if we discover something wrong, we will issue a recall and still look great as it would generate good faith/PR". Thanks to our extremely low expectations from auto manufacturers & an extremely painful legal system.

I see no reason to celebrate a recall.
asr245 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 11:53   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

This is something good from their part. Some people may take this in a bad way but it's always better to fix the issue right away rather than recalling thousands of cars. They could have paid more attention but a good job done by Ford. Hope they will continue to show this during the service. Am quite pleased with Ford and this will be the 3rd car from Ford in our garage.
Old 12th July 2013, 12:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
This surely is a confidence booster! Atleast they do a recall unlike many electronic manufacturers(like HP,nvidia) who never accept their fault!

I replaced my Figo front mudflap 3 times in 3 years. I am sure that my car never had hit a speed breaker/ pot hole side. It seems like the water from the rotating wheel is breaking off the mudflap. After every high way drive in monsoon, my cars mudflap is broken! Sent an email to ford customer-care, and in 3 hours - I received a call from them. In 6 hours, I received a call from dealer. The next day, they called me again and conveyed they will take the issue to product development team.

That is a reassuring - making customers feel good! Even if they don't do anything with the mudflap, I am happy because I got at least a call and followup.

That is one great CRM(Customer Relationship Management) they have there!
The mudflaps of the Figo have gotten a fix already. The new units come with flexible construction, as opposed to the inflexible construction of the former units. The older mudflaps used to break when they hit speed breakers, etc due to their rigid construction. Bummer: Ford dealers replace all four units at the customer's cost. Whatever happened to the child parts strategy.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 12th July 2013, 12:22   #50
BHPian

Still i have not seen a registered ES in Bangalore. It might have to do with the route that i take. I daily drive from E.City to Indian Express, roughly some 25 kms one side. Till date i have seen only 2 ES, both unregistered, one before the launch and one unregistered. I don't know why?

Seeing the recall, the first impression that i got was : i have not seen a registered ES till date and now a recall ?

In a way its good that Ford have made it public, but they have to. They cant hide these things as they have to show it in the bills, whether they do it for free , its another matter. But coil plug is an basic and important component. I think it again depends on the quality of the heater coil which they will be replacing. If its of much better quality that what other manufacturers are providing, its really appreciable. But if the reason for this upgrade is for water wading capacity, then it means that they did miss out on some basic testing, of such an important advertising feature, but might not be useful for basic city user like me.

Our thinking at times, most of the times, goes by the per-conceived impression about anyone. I was wondering what would have happened if Tata's would have asked for recall, add further, its a new launch.

Last edited by turbo_delight : 12th July 2013 at 12:24. Reason: edit
Old 12th July 2013, 12:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Thanks to our extremely low expectations from auto manufacturers & an extremely painful legal system.

I see no reason to celebrate a recall.
Let me add one more point .. cheap money . The way people jump at a new launch and plonk in a lakh without even seeing the vehicle , its not funny . A lakh is chicken shit nowadays - with this scramble for the "next hot thing" , its not surprising that consumers get slapped around and a recall just days into a launch is touted as a great CRM strategy .
This is a very basic error and a big screwup by Ford !
souravc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 12:37   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

I have seen atleast 7-8 cars on road in the past 1 week. I'm trying to get in touch with the owners to see if they have received any call from the dealers regarding the issue.
Old 12th July 2013, 14:06   #53
BHPian

If the issue is indeed true, I really appreciate Ford's honesty in taking cognizance of it and doing a recall.

But I am not totally convinced that the glow plug relay could malfunction because of 'indian road' conditions. Nobody is going to do a stream crossing in a EcoSport. The 550m that they promise should be good enough for normal city, highway and bad road conditions.

If i were the customer, I would insist that I see the actual work being done in the showroom. That should put all doubts at rest.

By the way, where is this glow plug control located in the Fiesta or Ikon diesels?
Old 12th July 2013, 14:38   #54
BHPian

Having problem with the product is not a problem.
Identifying the problem and still not notifying the customers and not correcting is a problem - and this is a problem that we've seen so many times earlier - Skoda, XUV500 etc. etc.

Kudos to Ford for identifying and taking the step in right direction.
That's a confidence boost for me personally for Ford.
advaitlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 20:51   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Let me add one more point .. cheap money . The way people jump at a new launch and plonk in a lakh without even seeing the vehicle , its not funny . A lakh is chicken shit nowadays - with this scramble for the "next hot thing" , its not surprising that consumers get slapped around and a recall just days into a launch is touted as a great CRM strategy .
This is a very basic error and a big screwup by Ford !
I read somewhere 20000 Ecosports have been booked so far. People tend to jump at new launches. In my place impressing your neighbour or colleague by buying a brand new model is assumed to be cool.
Old 12th July 2013, 23:14   #56
BANNED

I have seen many posts here, talking about Ford doing a commendable job of fixing the problems right away after the launch of the vehicle. I get, that give the credit where its due.

But What was that whole year of testing on Indian soil? Interesting how Ford is able to figure out the problem just after the launch. They do conduct some extensive tests, I find it hard to believe they didn't face a problem due to this GlowPlug while testing it.

I don't know about anybody else, but for me, Recalls are NOT a postive sign to me.

Don't get me wrong, of course it would be better than a company sitting about failing to acknowledge the problem.
But a company that doesn't need a recall would be even better, or even the Best.

Recalls do highlight that there has been some huge oversight in the company in the past, they're doing everything to fix it. But what's done is done, and the damage to the image of the Manufacture, I think, is a long lasting one.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 08:13   #57
BHPian

Ecosport engine area is not too big as fiesta so some components needs to be shuffled around near the bay. The only reason for me to push the module inside is there is more possibility of accidents and bumper scraping incidents in India which might make the module to go loose or break causing unnecessary expenses to the customer or the manufacturer to fix.
Old 13th July 2013, 09:17   #58
Senior - BHPian

The battery is under the bonnet.
The ECU is under the bonnet.
The engine is under the bonnet.

But why glow plug relay in the rear?
Old 13th July 2013, 10:18   #59
BHPian

Toyota has been making the corolla/ altis here in india for donkeys years and is the segment leader in sales yet they also have done recalls, more recently for the driveshaft of the altis. Saying this because no one manufacturer is perfect. Should appreciate Ford for taking a step immediately after launch to set right a problem which in the future may cause a issue. I feel a recall refit from any manufacturer only reassures a customer on the manufacturers commitment towards customers
Old 13th July 2013, 12:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

I appreciate the honesty of the recall but i empathize with the owners and anyone else who is frustrated that this problem should come up to begin with. Ford is not new to India , they have been around for donkey's years and understanding weather conditions here should be a given , they have had other cars and lets not forget that they have the Endeavour in their line up - a completely different segment ofcourse but in terms of looking at aspects such as ground clearance , water wading - that research would have gone into the Endeavour and they should have been aware / sensitive to this from the beginning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks