Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 13:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why is Ford's resale value poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
....and too many used Honda Accords, Ikons, Baleno's etc are my case in point
When you say too many of these - I'm curious as compared to what? If accord resales are bad because they are in plenty, sonatas should be more expensive. and if balenos are cheap because they are in plenty, then OHC's should be even cheaper right ?
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 14:07   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Greenie, is that all that that B-school taught you ?

What happened to price of items that are not in demand ?
Old 26th July 2013, 14:21   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Greenie, is that all that that B-school taught you ?

What happened to price of items that are not in demand ?
I assumed that if there was a healthy primary market for a car, there should be a correspondingly decent secondary market. The only exceptions I see are ones where the used ones are exceptionally bad - For the indica where most of the ones on the market have reliablity issues or have been abused, or the Octavia where the 80K service costs a bomb, or ikons/palios where parts are very expensive.

If availablity is relative to the resale market demand, Yes, Ajmat is correct, resale market values will go down. My point was that just because a car is common, or a lot of them are available on the second hand market doesnt mean that the resale goes down - usually the opposite happens especially if its a sucessful model

Last edited by greenhorn : 26th July 2013 at 14:22.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 14:30   #49
Senior - BHPian

There are too many swifts, innovas and altos available in the used car market and these sell at a higher price premium than their competitors. Too many choices aren't driving the price down on these models.

Cars that are market hits will sell at a higher premium no matter what, and duds will sell at a lower price even if there aren't many of them around.
Old 26th July 2013, 14:35   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

If a model is successful, and/then there is a demand for it - hence prices dont go down.
Old 26th July 2013, 14:47   #51
Senior - BHPian

yeah, thats why greenie countered the point no 4 raised by ajmat. Availability of too many of the same model doesn't push the prices down - it depends on the virtues of the vehicle and brand.
Old 26th July 2013, 16:53   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

I've owned a Ikon-Petrol for 5 years and let me tell you, with clockwork precision certain parts will fail at a certain Km or years of ownership. E.g. Ignition Coil, A/C Valve, Suspension Arm, End Can/Silencer etc.

With such a heritage, I don't think the Indian Used Car Market will be easily forgiving to Ford's resale value.

And in spite of that I moved to a Fiesta petrol and it's been a giant leap (The Japs still have the edge though) with respect to reliability. The maintenance cost is on-par with the competition and I've seen that the Ford diesels command good resale value at least in Tamil Nadu & Kerala.

Every car has it's Achilles heel, I'm glad that in my car/Ford's case, it's the resale value which is of economic importance and not anything related to it's Performance, Driving Dynamics, Build Quality, Safety or Comfort. Some of the cars in the market are just not fit to be cars at all but have a ridiculously high resale value.
kiku007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 00:52   #53
BHPian

Sorry for igniting an old thread. I was just wondering how would their latest offerings, specifically the Ford Ecosport Diesel fare in used car market and reliability factor. I am concerned, because, based on this I have to decided whether to buy a new car or stick to it at the end of 3rd Year completion (2018). I know, I'm too early on this, but I need to start keeping a fund for new car from today itself if I plan to upgrade after 2 years.

Thanks !!!
Old 22nd September 2016, 11:42   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Sorry for igniting an old thread. I was just wondering how would their latest offerings, specifically the Ford Ecosport Diesel fare in used car market and reliability factor. I am concerned, because, based on this I have to decided whether to buy a new car or stick to it at the end of 3rd Year completion (2018). I know, I'm too early on this, but I need to start keeping a fund for new car from today itself if I plan to upgrade after 2 years.

Thanks !!!
Please check if the link below helps.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4061703 (The "USED" Car Price Check Thread)
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks