Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2013, 14:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Suzuki threatens to shut down Manesar Plant

Although the details of the legal case are not known, generally speaking I feel if a big company with all its resources could not get a favourable verdict then there must really be some good ground for it. And hence they should pay up now.

To counter that, its also true that off late the courts have become rather busy in portraying a people friendly image in the media and hence this might be another one of those attempts.

But either way it will cost Maruti much less to pay the amount than to close the plant. So as far as the threat is concerned, it does not hold much weight I guess.
Old 25th July 2013, 14:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
... Coming to landlords, most of them are extremely greedy bunch. Today they sell you land at a price and if tommorrow the price increases, they demand more. I thought once you sell, it is over between you and buyer.
The agreement to sell could've had some reserving clause. Simple.

Please don't make generic controversial statements. Doesn't the landlord protect a scarce resource? See ANY construction company and you'd realise how very tough it is to get land free of encumbrances, and suitable for construction.

There's a reason 'Being Greedy' isn't illegal, its just a viewpoint people may have. What might seem as 'Greed' to us, doesn't have any legal standing. As long as any entity, whether the land owners or Maruti, has any legal interest, he/she/it has the right to pursue them.
Old 25th July 2013, 16:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Well, I have heard of some skewed judgements. I don't know what is at play there. Integrity or bias or favoritism or plain misjudgement. Coming to landlords, most of them are extremely greedy bunch. Today they sell you land at a price and if tommorrow the price increases, they demand more. I thought once you sell, it is over between you and buyer.
This sort of demand does not happen in a normal sale, where the agreement is between the buyer and the seller.

In this case it was an acquisition by the State Govt. from the owners at the notified rate of the area. The land is then handed over to the industry under a seperate agreement between the State and the Company.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2013, 17:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
In this case it was an acquisition by the State Govt. from the owners at the notified rate of the area. The land is then handed over to the industry under a seperate agreement between the State and the Company.
Rightly mentioned Sommos. I believe this was a special sale executed in a manner which already had some controversies built in right from the start. There were many landowners who were not willing to part with their holdings at the rate dictated by the govt. at times like this, it is anybody's guess how the money changes hands in deals like this. So rather than being a cut & dry matter like 'once sold is out of your jurisdiction', this particular decision does have long running background and supportings. All said and done, whatever way this goes, this is sure to make deep felt impacts on many such deals done in the past and which are being done right now as well all over the country.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks