Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2013, 15:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!

Link to News Section

Over the past few weeks, it has been raining high performance cars in India. After the likes of the Audi RS5, the Porsche Cayman S, the Audi S6 and the Jaguar F-Type, the newest sports car that combines high performance with luxury is the Mercedes Benz E63 AMG. Launched at the Buddh International Circuit, the E63 AMG represents the top-of-the-line variant in Mercedes Benz's E-Class line up in the Indian market. The Mercedes Benz E63 AMG is priced at rupees 1.29 Crores ex-showroom Delhi, and is imported into India through the completely built unit (CBU) route. The car will be sold at all Mercedes Benz dealerships across the country.

Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-mercedes-benz-e63-amg-1.jpg

The Mercedes Benz E63 AMG is powered by a 5.5 liter twin turbo petrol V8 engine. The motor outputs 557 Bhp of peak power and 720 Nm of peak torque, both figures representing a bump up over the previous iteration's output of 525 Bhp-700 Nm. The engine gets direct injection, start-stop and brake energy regeneration systems. An all-aluminium crankcase means that the hand assembled V8 motor weighs a light 204 kilograms. The engine is mated to a 7 speed dual clutch automatic gearbox. Driven by the rear wheels, the car hits 100 Kph from standstill in 4.2 seconds and the top speed is an electronically limited 250 Kph.

Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-mercedes-benz-e63-amg-3.jpg

The car gets four drive modes: C, S, S+ and M. C stands for controlled efficiency, a mode that is to be used to conserve fuel. For more sporty performance, there are the S and S+ modes, where throttle responses get sharper, gear shifts quicker and the exhaust angrier. M represents the manual gearshift mode, letting the driver take control of the 7 speed dual clutch automatic gearbox, and in the M mode, the gearbox will not downshift automatically, thus allowing the driver to hold a particular gear. The E63 AMG comes outfitted with sports suspension with Ride Control and a sports exhaust.

Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-mercedes-benz-e63-amg-2.jpg

The car also gets the AMG Drive Unit, which controls a plethora of high performance functions. The AMG Drive Unit can be used to set up suspension parameters with Comfort, Sport and Sport+ being the three modes on offer. Also, the AMG Drive Unit can be used to program the "race start" feature, in other words the launch control function. Mercedes Benz states that E63 AMG's electro-mechanical steering has been tuned for a more direct response while the car uses larger disc brakes and high performance brake pads for improved braking performance. A carbon ceramic braking package is available as an option.

On the styling front, the Mercedes Benz E63 AMG gets a revised front end with a new front bumper with prominent air intakes. The front grille is also a new item, with a twin slat signifying the car's AMG credentials. The car comes with all-LED headlamps as standard. 10 spoke alloy wheels, wider wheel arches and V8 BITURBO badging on the flanks are other distinguishing features of the car. At the rear, quad exhaust muffler tips, a new diffuser, a re-profiled bumper and AMG badging on the boot are the design highlights. On the inside, nappa leather upholstery dominates proceedings.

Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-mercedes-benz-e63-amg-4.jpg

An AMG steering wheel with a flatter top and bottom rim sections, AMG sport seats, aluminium paddle shifters behind the steering wheel, drilled control pedals, AMG instrumentation and the AMG Drive Unit in the center console are the various other changes on the car. 8 Airbags, ABS+EBD, ESP, Traction Control and a variety of active and safety passive features are standard on this high performance automobile. Mercedes Benz does sell a more sporty "S" variant of the E63 AMG in international markets. The S version gets a 585 Bhp-800 Nm output from the twin turbo V8 motor and many other changes. An all wheel drive mode is standard on the S version of the car even as the India-spec E63 AMG model makes do with a rear wheel drive layout.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 25th July 2013 at 15:38. Reason: New Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 16:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG : Report & Pics

A quick report of the Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG event at Buddh...

Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg.jpg

High Points:
  • AMG 5.5L V8 Bi-Turbo engine producing 557 BHP of power (@ 5500 RPM) & 720 Nm of torque (@ 1750-5250 RPM).
  • 0-100 kmph in 4.2 seconds, top speed is electronically limited at 250 km/h.
  • AMG Speedshift MCT 7-speed tansmission with C (controlled efficiency), S (sport), S+ (sport plus), and M (manual) modes.
  • Race start function provides the best blend of power and traction for the ideal launch.
  • Fuel efficiency rated at 10.2 kmpl
  • AMG carbon exterior and interior package.
  • 8 airbags (dual stage front airbags), LED intelligent light systems with cornering function, adaptive high beam etc.

A few observations from my 2 laps around the BIC:
  • Accelerate and the AMG growl is something you'll fall in love with, especially the sounds it makes whilst shifting.
  • Shoots really quick in a straight line, but you have to account for the weight / length of the car whilst cornering - else you'll have the ESP bailing you out of trouble.
  • What comforts you while cornering are the seats, the lateral support adjusts itself every time you go into a corner. Keeping you surely in place, and adding that little extra to your confidence.
  • During hard braking at the end of the straights, I was more than satisfied with the brakes. If they worked well from speeds above 200 kmph, they sure are good enough for the city.

Check out the front apron and air intakes.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg001.jpg

Do not miss the carbon fibre inserts on the side skirts.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg002.jpg

Close look at the full LED adaptive headlamps.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg003.jpg

Car overall looks very subtle in this white shade.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg004.jpg

A rear 3 quarter look.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg005.jpg

Carbon fibre inserts in the front bumper.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg006.jpg

Carbon fibre inserts in the rear bumper and two sets of twin exhaust pipes, each with an AMG embossing. Notice the small air vent.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg007.jpg

10.2 kmpl from a V8!
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg008.jpg

18" 10-spoke AMG alloys with 255/40/R18 tyres on the front and 285/35/R18 at the back.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg009.jpg

Hand-made. One man, one engine : The AMG motto.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg010.jpg

All black on the inside.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg011.jpg

Dashboard gets carbon fibre inserts too.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg012.jpg

Flat at the top and bottom, the AMG steering wheel with Nappa leather. Do I need to mention paddle shifts?
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg013.jpg

Instrument cluster with the speedo reading upto 320 kmph, however the top speed is limited well below that.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg014.jpg

Modes to suit your taste. Gear shifter is unique.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg015.jpg

Seats hold you in place, even during hardcore cornering action.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg016.jpg

Additional driver seat controls on the LHS of the seat.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg017.jpg

The fun pedal is on the right.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg018.jpg

Door pad hosts the usual functions.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg019.jpg

Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg020.jpg

The safety cars for the day.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg022.jpg

This one was driven by AMG driving instructor Norman Simon who clocked a 2.14.521 lap.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg023.jpg

Very inviting, isn't it?
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg024.jpg

To add some more fun to our drive, it started raining.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg025.jpg

The latest AMG offering in the pit lane at the BIC.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg026.jpg

Norman Simon leading the battalion.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg027.jpg

The E63 AMG running down the final straight.
Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!-e63-amg028.jpg

The sound that was left ringing in my ears:

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th July 2013 at 00:23.
parrys is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 00:30   #3

Re: Mercedes Benz E63 AMG launched in India & Driven @ Buddh!

I am literally drooling on my keyboard after seeing this. Excellent review!!

However i do have a very stupid question, does the hedlamp use normal projectors for the high and low beams, or is everything done by LEDs ?
Old 27th July 2013, 07:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice insight into one of the most 'sleeper' looking super cars! Seriously, white doesn't do justice to what's lying under the hood. They should have launched the car with a sporty, unique for the AMG colour to show that this is no ordinary E Class. And the exhaust note video sadly doesn't do full justice to the AMG heritage :(
Old 27th July 2013, 09:36   #5
BHPian

This is nice. An AMG offering on the E would be just the perfect mix of luxury & raw sporty performance.

Are there any videos of the cars on the move?

Cheers,
Sam
Old 27th July 2013, 10:30   #6
BHPian

Nice review. Crisp and sharp to the point. By the way, are you invited to BIC by them or is this a part of AMG Driving Academy Program where we have to register for the program?

I have recently driven R8 on BIC track and I would love to try this one too if they are offering this car as a part of their driving academy program.
Old 27th July 2013, 10:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the report.

Each time I see a picture of a white E-class, my dislike for the face-lift E-class is going down. White really suits this car and it looks very good in AMG avatar.
Old 27th July 2013, 10:54   #8
BHPian

The normal E class does look a bit below par when compared to the 5 series,A6 or the Jag.But with the AMG treatment this thing looks awesome.
The powertrain figures are simply amazing.what a treat it would be to have this thing for a drive down at BIC.
Old 27th July 2013, 15:06   #9
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG : Report & Pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
18" 10-spoke AMG alloys with 255/40/R18 tyres on the front and 285/35/R18 at the back.
Was expecting the car to have 19 or 20 inch wheels! Also what are the colour options offered in India?
Also the price mentioned in the report is ex-Delhi, i'm assuming it should be slightly cheaper in Maharashtra?

Last edited by PPS : 27th July 2013 at 15:12.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 15:20   #10
BHPian

BEAUTIFUL !
The headlight unit is amazing ! The gear knob is amazing ! AMG on end cans is amazing ! Hanging rear is amazing ! front bumper scoops are amazing !

In most of the cases, some parts of a really good looking car are not that good and average looking, but I'm still unable to find any angle/part on this which is not excellent. It's like the designers have put everything they had in this one. I mean look at the side profile !

Last edited by sudeep11787 : 27th July 2013 at 15:21.
Old 27th July 2013, 16:09   #11
BHPian

Pure Awesomeness!!!

The facelifted E looks really good in its AMG avatar, though I wish that they used the traditional AMG 5 spoke wheels rather than this design.

The all LED lights look cool, kinda funky and futuristic.

The real star though, is that fire breathing V8 under the hood. God, it sounds like a pure muscle car, unlike the Ferrari V8s.

What wouldn't I give to be able to slide this thing around the track in a huge cloud of smoke from the rear..
Old 28th July 2013, 21:23   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

10kmpl from a V8? Seems hard to believe. It probably would be half of that figure in reality.

Unimpressed by the alloys. AMG usually has the best designs for their wheels.

Given the engines power output, I'd expect it to touch the ton figure in sub 4 seconds.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 13:05   #13
Team-BHP Support

Looks-wise, the pre-facelifted E63, was like a 65 year old man who was still pumping iron.

This face-lift really brings some edgy and futuristic design in, which works well with the E63 AMG. (Don't get me wrong, i thought the pre-facelift E-Class was extremely stately and good looking - but it just didn't work in AMG form).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupai View Post
However i do have a very stupid question, does the hedlamp use normal projectors for the high and low beams, or is everything done by LEDs ?
100% LED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
By the way, are you invited to BIC by them or is this a part of AMG Driving Academy Program where we have to register for the program?
It was part of the E63 launch event. Not sure if the driving academy will have the new E63.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Unimpressed by the alloys. AMG usually has the best designs for their wheels.
Agree! It's like the new M5 "Competition Package". Didn't like their choice of machined wheels either :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Given the engines power output, I'd expect it to touch the ton figure in sub 4 seconds.
Interestingly a lot of other (Int'l) sites report a sub 4 sec timing. The official AMG site says 4.2 seconds. The "S-Model" version however does it in 3.6 seconds!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th July 2013 at 13:07.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 16:20   #14
BHPian

I was actually fortunate enough to drive the pre-facelift E63 a few months ago. A friend was in the market for it, so we took it for a fairly lengthy spin one Sunday in the company of a Merc sales rep who sat in the back seat the whole way.

I have to admit I was less than impressed with the overall package. Yes, the E63 (which is now highly misleading nomenclature considering how much the engine's been downsized from the original 6.2L capacity) has both prodigious low-end torque and mind-boggling peak horsepower, but it just didn't thrill.
Without getting into specifics, we got to really take the car to it's electronically governed limits, and I even managed a few tailslides around a deserted roundabout or two, but at no point did I feel one with the car.
In contrast, I've driven a much less powerful E46 M3 and I felt like an organic part of the car - the feedback from the steering and chassis was direct and fantastic. The E63, on the other hand, had virtually no feedback at all. It just felt like a normal saloon with a whopping big engine that was big on power and low on excitement. Every time we got on the power in a bend or a turn, all we could feel was the traction control stabbing away at individual wheels and ruining the fun.

What I'm seeing in this review is new features and embellishments, but no word from Merc on how this one drives different from it's previous avatar.

If I was emptying my (and several other people's) bank account to buy a hot performance sedan, I'm pretty sure I'd still get an M5.

Last edited by noopster : 30th July 2013 at 16:51. Reason: Absolutely no discussion on moderator actions on the forum, please
Old 1st August 2013, 20:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

A lap with Norman Simon @ the Buddh International Circuit in a Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG.

parrys is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed