Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 11:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Second generation Chevrolet Beat (Spark, internationally) coming in 2015

Link to News Section

General Motors will launch an all new version of the Beat hatchback, known as the Spark internationally, in 2015. The South Korean division of the American car maker will begin producing the second generation version of the Chevrolet Beat from 2015. Until then, the hatchback is expected to soldier on with facelifts. Details as to the exact changes on the second generation Chevrolet Beat remain unavailable at this point in time.

Second generation Chevrolet Beat (Spark, internationally) coming in 2015-south-africaspec-chevrolet-spark.jpg

Pictured above is the facelifted South Africa-spec Chevrolet Beat.

The Chevrolet Beat/Spark has been a big success for the American automaker with South Korea being a major production hub for this entry level hatchback. The least priced car in General Motors's American line up, the Chevrolet Beat/Spark is available in petrol and electric variants in that part of the world. In the Indian car market, General Motors sells the Beat in the B-segment, with a range of engine options that include petrol, petrol-LPG and diesel motors.

For the 2014 model year, international versions of the Chevrolet Beat gain a CVT automatic gearbox that replaces the 4 speed conventional automatic transmission. Also, electrically adjustable wing mirrors, automatic headlamps and new colours make it to the 2014 model of the Beat/Spark sold internationally. The South Africa-spec version of the Beat gets stylistic upgrades and new features too. General Motors is expected to refresh the India-spec Beat with new features, with a possible unveil at the 2014 Indian Auto Expo.

Second generation Chevrolet Beat (Spark, internationally) coming in 2015-chevrolet-beat-hatchback.jpg

Weeks ago, General Motors India updated the India-spec Beat hatchback with a satin trim on the dashboard and the height adjustment function for the driver's seat. Also, General Motors is offering the petrol version of the Beat hatchback at a 66,000 Rupee discount, ostensibly a move to counter the cut-price Nissan Micra Active. Notably, the Beat has been the best selling model in GM's Indian line up for the past couple of years.

Meanwhile, the production of the second generation Cruze, initially scheduled to begin in late 2014, has rumoured-ly been pushed back by one year, to 2015. Like the Beat, the Cruze is another hot selling product for General Motors globally. The second generation model of this sedan will be based on the new D2XX platform, which will host a range of cars in General Motors's line up across the globe. The flexible D2XX platform, which allows parts and platform sharing, is said to be GM's answer to the Volkswagen group's MQB platform.

Source FirstPost

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 31st July 2013 at 11:57. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 16:46   #2
BHPian

Re: Second generation Chevrolet Beat (Spark, internationally) coming in 2015

I would love the beat to have a little bit of boot space and thigh support in the rear seat. Rest of the other features, I am completely ok. GM could have done that as an interim arrangement instead of getting the SAIL hatchback. Just my humble opinion as a beat diesel owner.
Old 31st July 2013, 17:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Good move by Chevy. Although the TCDI is flying off the shelves, it is high time for the baby to get some makeover.

I am looking at some makeover too for my 2011 Petrol Beat. Hope the new 2014 mods fit into the existing Beat.
Old 2nd August 2013, 13:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

With issues on the engines and cars produced by GM (tavera & sail diesel) in India that has resulted in production hault as well as recall of cars, I have serious doubts that the image of GM has not went down in India.

Some of my known ones looking for new hatch have decided against buying GM products for the time being.

Too bad GM. I am sure that would have been in major trouble had this happen in European or the US markets.
Old 21st January 2014, 19:04   #5
BHPian

Next generation Chevrolet Beat begins testing in Europe

Quote:
General Motors have begun developing the next generation Chevrolet Beat, and the first prototypes have been spotted in cold weather tests in Europe. The Beat (known as the Spark globally) launched five years ago, and was introduced in India in January 2010. The vehicle receives its first cosmetic intervention at the Auto Expo next month, which was shown in Europe in 2012.

GM engineers are testing well camouflaged mules, but according to reports, the vehicle would get evolutionary styling with a sloping roofline and sweeping shoulder line. A rear quarter glass is in place, which should improve what today is a dark interior with a small rear window. Sadly though, the door release had to be moved to its conventional place, and with it the visual effect of a three-door coupe disappears.
From: http://indianautosblog.com/2014/01/2...testing-113815
Old 21st January 2014, 19:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

I think they will bring in the AT option to India. The market for automatics seems to be maturing. Of course a diesel AT would be wishful thinking.
Old 21st January 2014, 19:25   #7
BANNED

I know I'm asking for too much, but I would like a sport variant with 2 doors and a 100BHP diesel engine & 150 BHP Petrol.

And prettier tail-lights please.
HyperRetard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 19:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I think they will bring in the AT option to India. The market for automatics seems to be maturing. Of course a diesel AT would be wishful thinking.
Last I heard, there are speculations about GM bringing the automatic transmission with the facelifted Beat post Auto Expo. I just hope they also get the electronics like steering mounted audio and phone controls, though none of the reports have made any mention of this. Afterall, what is the point of cosmetic facelifts!
akshay87kumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 20:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

what about one with proper door handles? Thats one thing i always hated about the current beat!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 20:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

The Beat just got a Jatco CVT in many markets (incl US). Hopefully this will make it to India.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 20:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

After using Beat for 7 months and then selling it off due to poor ergonomics overall, I say they should take clue from Spark and improve the ergonomics and seating position at rear seat. The rear seating position is horrible for long rides, leg room also is below average. One reason for Beat not selling in good numbers is the interior color scheme and layout design. The dashboard intrudes too much into driver and co-driver space, digital speedo console is not to everyone's taste.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 21:29   #12
BANNED

The Chevrolet Spark was introduced five years ago, so the company is developing an all-new model.
Caught undergoing cold weather testing, the redesigned Spark is heavily camouflaged but we can see it will have an evolutionary design with a sloping roofline and an upward sweeping beltline.
Little is known about the model but previous reports have indicated that Opel could also get a variant to help fill the void being left from Chevrolet's departure from Europe. Nothing is official but rumors suggested the car would be a four-door, four-seater with a base price of less than €10,000 ($13,770 / £8,400).
The Spark is expected to be introduced in early 2015, while the Opel variant could debut in late 2015 or early 2016.

Source: WorldCarFans
Attached Thumbnails
Second generation Chevrolet Beat (Spark, internationally) coming in 2015-chevroletbeatexterior23922_l.jpg  

Second generation Chevrolet Beat (Spark, internationally) coming in 2015-chevroletleftsideview23926.jpg  

Second generation Chevrolet Beat (Spark, internationally) coming in 2015-chevroletleftrearthreequarter23927.jpg  

HyperRetard is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 22:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
After using Beat for 7 months and then selling it off due to poor ergonomics overall, I say they should take clue from Spark and improve the ergonomics and seating position at rear seat. The rear seating position is horrible for long rides, leg room also is below average. One reason for Beat not selling in good numbers is the interior color scheme and layout design. The dashboard intrudes too much into driver and co-driver space, digital speedo console is not to everyone's taste.
The new look for the US spec Spark (Beat) can be seen in the following pics (source: http://www.leftlanenews.com/photos/c...icture-19.html). These are exactly the same as the ones that can be seen on Chevy's US website (http://www.chevrolet.com/spark-city-...-pictures.html)

I agree with you regarding the sub-par leg room in rear and with the knees brushing against the control knob on dashboard. But I seem to like the new interior shots even more, and fervently hope they make it to the Indian version too!

The US variants (at least in the pics) do not have climate control feature. The control knobs look pleasant for a change, since I have never liked those turn knobs they provide in lower variants and even in other cars.

Bring the US spec to India with the CVT transmission, auto climate control and some more sophisticated electronics, and I might buy the Beat despite its shortcomings
Attached Thumbnails
Second generation Chevrolet Beat (Spark, internationally) coming in 2015-2013chevroletspark9_1200.jpg  

Second generation Chevrolet Beat (Spark, internationally) coming in 2015-2013chevroletspark20_1200.jpg  

Second generation Chevrolet Beat (Spark, internationally) coming in 2015-2013chevroletspark21_1200.jpg  

Second generation Chevrolet Beat (Spark, internationally) coming in 2015-2013chevroletspark22_1200.jpg  

Second generation Chevrolet Beat (Spark, internationally) coming in 2015-2013chevroletspark23_1200.jpg  

akshay87kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay87kumar View Post

The new look for the US spec Spark (Beat) can be seen in the following pics (source: http://www.leftlanenews.com/photos/c...icture-19.html). These are exactly the same as the ones that can be seen on Chevy's US website (http://www.chevrolet.com/spark-city-...-pictures.html)
Links dead, they have removed it all.
Old 22nd January 2014, 11:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appu.bhandari View Post
Links dead, they have removed it all.
Both links seem to work for me!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks