Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2013, 11:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India

Link to News Section

Audi has begun testing the facelifted version of its flagship luxury saloon, the 2014 A8, in India. A heavily camouflaged test mule of the car was spotted by Team-BHP reader Dhananjay Gupta, on the outskirts of Mumbai. The 2014 Audi A8 luxury saloon facelift is the German luxury car maker's answer to the likes of the facelifted BMW 7-Series and the all-new 2014 Mercedes Benz S-Class car models. The 2014 Audi A8 will be showcased later this year, at the upcoming Frankfurt Motor Show.

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-2014-audi-a8-luxury-saloon-facelift-1.jpg

Even before the show kicks off at Frankfurt, Audi will web launch the facelifted A8 and another unnamed car, on the 21st of August. So, a commercial launch of this car in India is likely to happen by the end of this year or early next year considering the fact that Mercedes Benz India is readying up the all new S-Class for a launch in India shortly. The 2014 Audi A8 is an end-of-life facelift as the all new A8 is slated to arrive in 2016.

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-2014-audi-a8-luxury-saloon-facelift-2.jpg

Nevertheless, the 2014 Audi A8 will pack in new technology, to keep up with rivals. The prime distinguishing feature of the Audi A8, in terms of looks and technology, will be the Matrix LED headlamps, that will make their world debut in this luxury saloon. The Matrix LED headlamp technology uses an array of 25 LEDs and 5 reflectors in each headlamp. These LEDs and reflectors will be controlled individually through a computer algorithm that's linked to a camera-based object/vehicle detection system of the car.

Whenever the camera of the 2014 Audi A8 detects an oncoming vehicle or a pedestrian, one or more LEDs pointing towards the object/vehicle will be dimmed/turned off. Essentially, this feature reduces light intensity to provide optimum visibility to both the Audi A8 driver as well as the oncoming traffic in specific situations. Audi claims that this technology represents a big leap to road safety as it will automate switching between high and low beams adaptive-ly.

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-2014-audi-a8-luxury-saloon-facelift-3.jpg

Also, Audi's Matrix LED Headlamp will be linked to the car's navigation system, allowing the headlamps to modulate their light intensity to illuminate upcoming curves on the roads. The Matrix LED headlamp technology will work faster than existing adaptive headlamps (which are connected to steering inputs) as it will use inputs from the navigation system. Since the satellite navigation system knows the route that the driver wants to take in advance, lighting up curves will become more efficient than before.

Apart from the Matrix LED headlamp technology, the 2014 Audi A8 gets revised bumpers, front grille, exhaust tips and new tail lamps. Also, the car's infotainment system could be updated given the fact that the Matrix LED technology is linked to the navigation system. Details on other changes to the car are expected to be available closer to the 21st of August, the date on which this luxury saloon will be web launched.

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-2014-audi-a8-luxury-saloon-facelift-4.jpg

While Audi does sell the extended wheelbase version of the A8, in the form of the A8L in India, the car continues to be imported into the country through the completely built unit (CBU) route. With both BMW and Mercedes Benz assembling the 7-Series and the S-Class respectively, through the completely knocked down (CKD) kit route, it remains to be seen whether Audi will also change its tactic to suit the specific needs of the Indian market.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 1st August 2013 at 11:31. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 12:35   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India

What a huge scoop. This is the first time I am seeing a vehicle on test in India even before the world wide launch. Shows how important a market India is and secondly they are actually testing the car for our road/climate conditions.

The big thing here is the Matrix LEd headlights. Huge controversy surrounding these lights and as of now I believe USA has banned the use of these headlights.

The way these lights work is different than regular lights. The LED's are on full power high beam mode as default settings. Only when oncoming vehicle is detected the lights dim out and create a shadow area so that the oncoming car does not see the glare at all. The always on high beam is what is causing the controversy in USA.

Don't know how well it work in India since it relies on GPS and cameras. Our roads are poorly lit at night and a lot of vehicles like 2 wheelers, taxis and lorries don't even have working headlights.

It also illuminated pedestrians by flashing LED's 3 times to show the driver. In India it will be flashing most of the time.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 13:44   #3
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is the first time I am seeing a vehicle on test in India even before the world wide launch.
Make that second! A4 facelift was also being tested here & i too had posted pics of the test mule.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ay-2012-a.html
PPS is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

Spotted near Worli. The LED Matrix sure does look interesting :

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-img_20130802_124041.jpg

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-img_20130802_124043.jpg

cya
R
Rehaan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 18:56   #5
PPS
Senior - BHPian

^^ Did they forget to remove the front logo on the test mule? The A4 facelift test mule which was being tested earlier didn't have the logos!
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 19:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

More of same , IMO. The overall shape looks similar and there is more to a design language than merely reshaping/ restyling L.E.Ds. The new S has taken the game forward and AUDI will have to do something substantial to stay in the game.
Old 2nd August 2013, 22:25   #7
BHPian

I always found the A8 very beautiful and it had just the right amount of panache which a 1-crore car must have.
Be it the shape of the LED's at front or the side or the rear, I just loved it.

But, I just didn't like this new face lifted front. The design of the LED's is such that it would look proper on a sportback like A7.
It just doesn't look in place on the A8..
And worse part is the rear which just looks so out of place and just doesn't looks execrable IMO.

The tail light looks just like the one on the Superb albeit, on a dose of steroids.

Look at the new Mercs. They look so futuristic and each new launch is so different and better than the previous gen model.
Audi needs to learn a lesson or two on designing from MB definitely.

-Bhargav
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-skodasuperbhatch2reartracking.jpg  

Old 19th August 2013, 15:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The sketches underline that the physical alterations are likely to be minor and focus on front and rear bumper updates, with the focus more likely to be on technical updates and mild engi
Among the technical innovations will be an LED matrix lighting system, which operates using 25 individual lights. Each light can be switched on and off, or dimmed or brightened, according to the conditions.
Audi has announced that it will reveal the official pictures of the revised Audi A8 on August 28.
ne modifications.

An all-new Audi A8 is expected around 2016.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/353...ft-teased.aspx
Old 19th August 2013, 15:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Not that am going to buy the Audi in a hurry but my question is whats new? Seriously? From A1 to A8 to R8, every single car seem to be the same in terms of looks and the looks are seriously wearing me down.
As for the other mumbo-jumbo, with the same looks getting carried over year on year, it now just seems pointless unless its pushing barriers in terms of safety, performance, environmental sustainability or entertainment/wow-factor!

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 19th August 2013 at 15:37.
Old 21st August 2013, 12:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

@Nilesh - sadly thats a trait of all the big luxury auto-makers. I can't tell you how many people have gotten a 3 confused for the 5, or the A4 confused for the A6.
I actually respected Jaguar for being different, but with the new XF, even that seems to be disappearing.
I guess it is more to do with branding, and having a clear defined family look, which is equally important in this era of copy-cats.

On a related note, I just hope Audi does something about its equipments level. On paper, they sound fantastic, but when you get into detail, you start wondering.
Someone I know paid over 1.2Cr. for his A8 recently, and still had to shell out extra to buy them MMI Interface cables to hook up a USB/Aux-in/iPhone to his media player - WHY!
Similarly, the A4 and A6 came with the optional WCI Package once upon a time, where buyers would pay to get the rear entertainment package wiring done, but would still have to pay even more for the screens and such.

I just hope Audi does something to rectify this in their newer variants, and stops launching stripped down variants which do swell in the market, but really hurt their brand reliability. Audi might be the largest selling luxury brand between the big three, but IMO, it is also the least respected.
Old 21st August 2013, 12:32   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

A8 breaks cover;

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-2014audia8lfacelift122.jpg

W12 Trailer out;

karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 00:08   #12
BHPian

2015 Audi A8/S8 Facelift

Source :Left Lane News

Quote:
Outside, the changes carried out to both flagships are relatively minor and largely limited to redesigned bumpers, new lights all around and a refreshed radiator grille. Additional paint colors and alloy wheel designs help differentiate the facelifted sedans from their predecessors.

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-a8s81.jpg

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-a8s82.jpg

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-a8s83.jpg

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-a8s84.jpg

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-a8s85.jpg

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-a8s86.jpg

Team-BHP Scoop: 2014 Audi A8 Facelift in India-a8s88.jpg

Mods: Could not find an existing thread
Fraz33r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 11:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

I quite like it. Nothing eye-catching about it much like the pre-facelift but a pleasant , safe looking car nonetheless. The S would remain its prime rival since i do believe as an overall package the big Audi bettered the XJ and 7 considering what customers in the segment are primarily looking for.
But to compete with the new S the A8 would surely have to put its best foot forward.
Let the games begin !
Old 26th August 2013, 12:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What a huge scoop. This is the first time I am seeing a vehicle on test in India even before the world wide launch. Shows how important a market India is and secondly they are actually testing the car for our road/climate conditions.
Yes.
Although, I wonder if this is only being done as a display to satisfy homologation requirements or if they will actually make possible investments towards radical changes that may(would?) be required to the cars innards to make them suitably work for our exact road/climatic conditions?
Old 17th September 2013, 17:43   #15
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Saw one in black at Worli today without any camouflage! It was on red TC plates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks