Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 07:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

*Rumour* Maruti to launch XA Alpha in September'13

From the desks of Motorbeam:

Quote:
You read it first on MotorBeam. Sources close to us have informed us about the launch of the XA Alpha compact SUV in the Indian market. Maruti Suzuki showcased the XA Alpha at the 2012 Auto Expo and many expected the vehicle to hit roads as early as first quarter 2013. However the launch hasn’t taken place and there are no signs of the launch happening anytime soon. However we can confirm that the vehicle is ready to hit the production line with ARAI formalities commencing soon. Don’t get too excited as you won’t see spy shots of the production XA Alpha.

Maruti Suzuki doesn’t test its vehicles on the roads and ARAI officials come to the company’s Gurgaon plant for the certification. The XA Alpha was rumoured to be launched at the 2014 Auto Expo but the company is facing the heat from the recently launched Ford EcoSport, which is eating into Swift and DZire sales. The XA Alpha will not be called XA Alpha, as that was the name for the concept. The vehicle will not look as striking as the concept version either. The launch is expected to take place in September, while deliveries will commence by end of October.

Maruti Suzuki’s first compact SUV in India will use the Swift’s underpinnings. It is likely to be more than 4-metres in length and will be positioned alongside the Ertiga MPV. Powering the XA Alpha will be a 1.4-litre petrol engine and a 1.3-litre diesel engine, both offered with a 5-speed manual gearbox. The interiors will be similar to the Ertiga but with more features like a climate control system.

Read more at http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/maruti...XUqU6dZmqzb.99
Its supposed to be a 4+ meter vehicle so comfortable seating, has ACC and am sure will come with necessary bells and whistles. And hey, its a Maruti!

So whats not to be happy about? Just that i'm not so thrilled about the 1.3 DDIS doing the duty on this one. Really wish MSIL had a naturally aspirated 1.5 motor for this one like the one on 85ps Duster. Proof is in the pudding so wait and watch i guess.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:34   #2
BHPian

re: *Rumour* Maruti to launch XA Alpha in September'13

on specs, the 1.3 DDIS is better than the K9K 85 of the Duster.
With the 4m+ space and the styling , Maruti surely has a killer on hand. Its gonna annihilate the EcoSport and the Duster.

Last edited by bblost : 2nd August 2013 at 12:38. Reason: PLease do not use short forms for car names like ES instead of EcoSport.
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

Interesting news, this concept has been a closed wrap all this while, no spy shots no nothing. I do hope they retain most of the styling of the concept and don't make it look like a Swift on stilts. Maruti has no other go than to use 1.3 DDIS as they still do not have any product ready diesel engine. I also hope they give ample ground clearance of at least 200mm. Wondering what the price will be, since it says it might be positioned parallel to the Ertiga.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

From whatever concept pictures have been floating around it sure is eye catching , the rear from the side in my opinion looks really funny but will have to wait and see. Hope they jazz up the interiors a bit as well from what the concept pictures show so that its more aligned to the dynamic styling that is on the outside.
Old 2nd August 2013, 09:52   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
So whats not to be happy about? Just that i'm not so thrilled about the 1.3 DDIS doing the duty on this one. Really wish MSIL had a naturally aspirated 1.5 motor for this one like the one on 85ps Duster. Proof is in the pudding so wait and watch i guess.
I'd disagree with you on this point. First and foremost, i am not a fan of the K9K engine used in Duster, to me it's not a desirable/benchmark engine, i agree it has been tuned well for some applications but it is an outdated and basic 8-valve engine running basic specifications. In comparison the MultiJet engine is a much more Modern engine, for the enthusiast in me it loves to be revved and in the 90hp state of tune the torque does not tail off after 3000 rpm. I does have a Turbo Lag problem, but this is the only Diesel engine Maruti has access to right now.

However, i do believe Maruti tunes its MultiJet engine and the mated Gearbox really well, so i'd keep my judgement reserved till the day i drive the final product.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:25   #6
BHPian

Re: *Rumour* Maruti to launch XA Alpha in September'13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Really wish MSIL had a naturally aspirated 1.5 motor for this one like the one on 85ps Duster. Proof is in the pudding so wait and watch i guess.
And the 85ps K9K on the Duster is not a naturally aspirated unit. It is a turbo charged version, using a FGT. Anyway, Maruti-Suzuki does not have access to any other diesel engine, other than the 1.3 MJD. So much for calling diesel, a dirty fuel just a decade ago

Last edited by A350XWB : 2nd August 2013 at 10:28.
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:57   #7
BHPian

Have seen BMWs, Audis, Swifts and all major & minor manufacturer's cars in the ARAI compound for testing. Also after the Travera episode the agencies will be extra cautious.
So Maruti has to get the XA-Alpha cerified by sending to one of the approved Govt. agencies. Could be Any of the Natrip labs or ARAI or VRDE. Anways we will need to see the test mules on the roads at least 6 months before launch.
sridhar-v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

This makes for some interesting reading, confident that maruti will launch a sensible package. After all they are the masters in Indian Market and it is heartening to read that they have actually been forced to react to Ecosport's launch & waiting periods.
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:36   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Since past few days this news is discussed in multiple threads. This shows the interest in Mini-SUV segment. However Iam reminded of pre-SX4 Diesel days when at regular intervals different auto sites came up with news of upcoming launch. The same was discussed around for some 2 years till the product was finally launched. Hope this thread (s) does not face the same fate.
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Has to be a joke. I thought motorbeam was pretty decent with their coverage.

That said, Suzuki is teasing XA alpha and its clear now that they want to showcase it in Frankfurt Auto show being held in September.

So It could be that Suzuki is going to unveil their new SUV in frankfurt auto show as a global model and announce India is going to be one of the many countries where they will be launching it (people still buy suzuki here)
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

It will not come before 2015. Sorry for the spoiler!
Old 3rd August 2013, 12:37   #12
BHPian

Quote:
......Maruti Suzuki doesn’t test its vehicles on the roads and ARAI officials come to the company’s Gurgaon plant for the certification.....
Though not related to XA Alpha, can someone kindly explain the above as quoted from Motorbeam in the first post?

If this is correct, where does Maruti test its vehicles? Japan? Or are they such experts that they build the production ready version right from the drawing boards?

Also, what is the reason for special treatment from ARAI? Is there any specific agreement from the days of the govt. ownership of Maruti? Looking for some clues from someone knowledgeable on these (if at all we can trust the report that is).

PS: Having said the above, it is also true that Maruti test mules are very rarely seen on our roads.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 3rd August 2013 at 12:41.
Old 4th August 2013, 20:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Maruti doesn't test its vehicles on the road? Wasn't the Ertiga caught testing on a public road before launch?
Old 4th August 2013, 21:11   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently I came across the review of the Estilo(now old) on a fairly popular site. I just had to fall off my chair reading that. Now this is another load of bull from another site. Frankly speaking, as long as such websites post spy pics, I will not trust any of such news. Perhaps Autocar and overdrive are a bit bankable, but definitely not this.
Old 4th August 2013, 22:11   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I don't believe this article at all, for a number of reasons. To launch a vehicle from a concept to production is not a joke that can be done in a couple of months time. Various companies & organizations are involved in this. Besides, you cannot simulate real world testing in a companies test facility. This vehicle has to be tested in various climates, altitudes, terrain etc.

What they could do in a short period is to launch the Suzuki Jimny since it is already in production. It just requires localization and approvals.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks