Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2013, 01:56   #31
BHPian

Re: July 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Thanks a lot for the charts and figures. Look forward to this every month. Interesting to note that in all the segments, there is one clear leader. The Alto, WagonR, Swift, Dzire, XUV, Fortuner and Bolero leave everything behind in their wake, the competition has just not been able to measure up. Except for the C2 segment. This is where all the excitement has shifted, with competent players emerging and redefining the Indian value for money proposition. Till early 2011, it was the Honda City. To upset its applecart came the Verna, then the Duster and now the Ecosport. Am sure with rising incomes and aspirations, this segment in future will see many new battles.

Toyota seems to have increased the number of monthly kits for the Fortuner? For a long time it used to hover around the 1000 mark, but over past few months seems to have increased. The refresh has not done any good for the Liva and the Etios- hardly see new privately registered Liva and Etios.

Till a year back, Mahindra had the Midas touch- everything they made sold, even the Quanto. 2013 however has been unkind to them. Though the XUV's price cuts seems to have worked- has arrested the downward spiral. I personally find the XUV still to be an extremely VFM proposition. Now if only Mahindra could sort out the niggles.

Ah Tata- If only they in their mind had considered the Aria to be a MUV as the consumers perceive, rather than the SUV that they themselves perceive, and launched at a sensible sub 10 lakh price, it would have been a high selling product. Then they went ahead and changed everything in the Safari but its decade old exterior design, then they even went ahead and managed to undersell the Nano. Now with zero products in the pipeline, and a line up of overpriced and underdesigned duds, Tata seems to have nowhere to run. Pity though, because in the design department the JLR teams keeps churning out great ones. They probably need the verve in JLR to rub off on their Indian products.

The Ecosport is the only saving grace for Ford. One month old, and it has already cut the Duster down to size
achyutaghosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 07:35   #32

Thanks Parrys. Was eagerly waiting for this report Ecosport is really doing Great compared to Duster. This was very obvious after their amazing price which made it more VFM compared to Duster. These numbers will definitely increase if Ford does something to increase their production and thus decreasing their overall waiting period for Ecosport.
I definitely see a very good growth for Ecosport in the coming months !!! Hopefully Ford doesn't increase the price Ecosport for a year or two!
Old 4th August 2013, 08:17   #33
BHPian

Not going great for Nissan/Renault Group. Micra has again dropped down to less than 1000 after surprising the last month. What has happened to Sunny? It could be because of the new facelift version coming. Duster is finally beginning to feel the heat.
Old 4th August 2013, 08:46   #34
BHPian

Now even if Renault massively cuts Duster's prices I wonder what will be the feeling of all existing owners. Becoming greedy so early hurts everybody in the long run.
Old 4th August 2013, 10:07   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Not even a single Diesel car sold for the Sail hatch and Sedan ?

Sunny sells equal number of cars in Petrol and Diesel both as does the Toyota Altis and the Hyundai i20 !

The Micra sells twice the number of cars in Petrol than Diesel !
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
That's because both cars (Sail Diesel Twins) have been pulled off dealership yards. Recall likely.

Sweet work Parrys.

Cheers,

Jay
http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industri...-bs-iii-323248

Production has been halted and recall is being considered for the Sail twins. My guess is - they will take up the recall route once Tavera numbers are done with!
Old 4th August 2013, 10:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Though it is a very nice compilation by Parrys, I do miss GTO's insightful analysis. Maybe he too is depressed to comment seeing the current slide the Auto sector is in.
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 10:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quick question - I see a lot of Force Trax on road now a days, but I do not see them in the charts here. Any reason as such?

Edit: Saw that in Force motors website, Trax variants are listed as CV. But in Kolkata, w.r.t office cabs and shuttles, they play the same role.

Last edited by blackasta : 4th August 2013 at 10:53.
Old 4th August 2013, 11:21   #38
BHPian

Since I have woken up early (it's Sunday! ) let me try and present a summary of the excellent charts that Parry's has prepared.

1. The Indian Auto industry is not doing well. YoY sales are down by 8%. What is even more worrying is that compared to Jan -Jul 2012 (to account for monthly seasonality) Jan - Jul 2013 sales are down by 10%!

2. In terms of market share, MSIL has been the top gainer with a 5.6 pp gain YoY. In second place is Honda with a 4 pp gain YoY. The growth however has come at the expense of Tata Motors (-7.5 pp) and Mahindra (-2.3 pp).

3. The badge engineered twins Renault and Nissan have maintained their combined market share at 2.8%. However, while Renault has seen its market share double, Nissan has declined to almost a third of 2012. And this is in spite of Renault cars being priced higher than Nissan!

4. Segment wise, C segment as a whole (C1+C2) has registered a 11% YoY growth. Every other segment has degrown YoY whilst the basic A segment volumes have remained constant. Coupled with the overall Market degrowth, what this means is that entry level car buyers are hesitating to take the step up to the B segment from the A segment as compared to last year.

5. The fuel story continues as before with Diesel sales accounting for over twice that of Petrol sales.

6. The Ecosport and Amaze have been game changers. Without the Amaze, Honda would have registered a marginal growth of 38 bp of Market share, while Ford would have degrown by 146 bp! Worthwhile to note that both Ecosoprt and Amaze sales are more than all other cars combined of the respective Manufacturers.

7. In fact the Ecosoprt was the best selling C2 vehicle in July (Sedan & SUV combined)! The Amaze on the other hand has highly respectable figures of 6515, but still falls a long way short of the Market leader Dzire with 15249. Hopefully, Honda can get more market share with the ramp up of production facilities.

A huge thank you to Parry's for the excellent charts and the data! Also to tbhp for making analysis fun! And of course GTO, whose insights I keep on trying to emulate. Cheers!

Last edited by lordavenger : 4th August 2013 at 11:22. Reason: I missed GTO. How did I miss GTO!
lordavenger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 11:21   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Though it is a very nice compilation by Parrys, I do miss GTO's insightful analysis. Maybe he too is depressed to comment seeing the current slide the Auto sector is in.
+1. Agree 100% with you. His overall posts elsewhere have also dried up. Come on GTO please come out of the blues we are missing you, seriously dude.
mroptimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 11:51   #40
BHPian

Great report Parry , been waiting for this for some time.

Looking at the sales numbers of Aria it high time TATA do something about it .

Any idea on sales numbers of EcoBoost ?
Old 4th August 2013, 12:31   #41
BANNED

Thanks Parrys, for the details. We are missing GTO's analysis. Has he disappeared just like the scoop master Sidindica?

Time for the following manufacturers to completely refurbish / localize / reposition / stop the below mentioned cars (considering their opportunities to sell more). There is no point in continuing with low-selling models and amass losses in these times of financial crisis. We can easily note that only well-established products and new launches attract customers now. Better to stop production and relaunch new models the way customer wants it.

Chevrolet: Sail UVA, Captiva, Spark
Fiat: Linea
Ford: Figo, Fiesta
HM: Ambassador, Lancer, Montero, Outlander
Honda: Accord
Hyundai: Accent, SantaFe, Sonata
Mahindra: Verito
Maruti: 800, A-Star, Ritz, Estilo, Vitara, Gypsy, Kizashi, SX4
Nissan: Evalia, Teana, X-Trail
Renault: Pulse, Koleos
Skoda: Fabia, Superb, Yeti
TAta: Indica, Indigo, Aria, Nano
Toyota: LC, Prado, Prius
VW: Toureg

Last edited by romeomidhun : 4th August 2013 at 12:38.
Old 4th August 2013, 12:49   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Thanks Parrys, for the details. We are missing GTO's analysis. Has he disappeared just like the scoop master Sidindica?
He'll be tickled pink with that. He's cooling off on a vacation!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2013, 13:17   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
All are already taken care in case of Figo D which is known for better fuel efficiency and service & spares are already cheap, now what more to do?

Though the Fgo's sales is also down like all other cars due to downfall in the industry but its a fact that Figo is an outdated design developed on outdated platform which is powered by an outdated engine. They will have to work on new era platform. Now since a much competitive product- Ecosport is launched at the competitive price point, I doubt the situation will improve for Figo.
All new Figo to make Brazil debut next year. India launch in 2015.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 4th August 2013, 13:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Its pretty apparent that in such testing market conditions, only the cars with attitude and clearly defined USP can survive! The EcoSport, Fortuner, Verna, Amaze, Wagon R are all bucking the trend. But the Indica, Indigo, Micra, Sunny, Scala are going down with the tide.

Clear indications to all manufacturers that they have to focus on each and every car's character, rather than just adding more cars to their portfolio and hoping that they would bring in numbers !
Old 4th August 2013, 14:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlvl View Post
16 units of new Fiesta , that's a record! Guess Ford has given up on all models except the Ecosport and Figo..
The Fiesta Classic has sold 400 units in comparison! Might as well accept that the car is a dud and pull the plug on the Fiesta sedan. Ford needs to carry the initial momentum of the EcoSport success by looking at bringing the Fiesta hatch and pegging it straight at the i20. Considering that Hyundai sells 5000+ i20s in a bad month, it might not be a bad idea at all.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks