Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2013, 23:08   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: July 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Amaze sales clearly seems to have hit the swift sales number.
The sale of swift has plunged gradually from 19k to 10k now while the amaze has grown to 6.5k. This is a great achievement from Honda considering the reach that Maruti had to each nook and corner of the country.
For the first time since the launch of Swift, Maruti does seem to have a tough time ahead. The year on year growth is a wrong indicator for Maruti, since last year same time their production capacity was restricted by the Manesar fiasco.
Old 6th August 2013, 07:11   #92
BHPian

Ford EcoSport has impacted the sales of Maruti Suzuki Swift clearly. While Swift sales are falling Wagon-R is picking up. But Swift Dzire sales are still not showing any signs of downfall.

Another point to be noted as steady decline of Hyundai Verna. Any specific reason behind this ?
Old 6th August 2013, 07:48   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Ford EcoSport has impacted the sales of Maruti Suzuki Swift clearly. While Swift sales are falling Wagon-R is picking up. But Swift Dzire sales are still not showing any signs of downfall.
In fact, the plunge started as soon as amaze was announced ( in terms of waiting period ). Swift became readily available. So, the good sales numbers in the first month after amaze release was only due to the old bookings. Maruti, sensing danger manufactured as much as possible to prevent people from switching to amaze. Eco sport might have an impact of maximum 750-1000 on the swift. The Dzire is next in line. Just need to wait for Honda to boost its production capacity.
And it's not just the swift, the Ritz is close to all time low sales numbers. Wagon R survives mainly due to lack of competition. The i10 and Santro even though very practical by design costs a fortune to maintain. This segment is very sensitive to maintenance costs.
Old 6th August 2013, 13:41   #94
BHPian

Glad to see Fiat improving month over month with Punto and Linea. I guess their efforts in starting Fiat dealerships and service centers is starting to pay back. If this trend continues, it will give excellent platform for new cars to be launched by next year.
Old 6th August 2013, 14:00   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k149in View Post
Glad to see Fiat improving month over month with Punto and Linea. I guess their efforts in starting Fiat dealerships and service centers is starting to pay back. If this trend continues, it will give excellent platform for new cars to be launched by next year.
The higher numbers for Fiat is mainly due to the 1 lakh loyalty bonus offer for every car that's exchanged for a Fiat.
Old 6th August 2013, 14:14   #96
BHPian

From the spread of the top 20 models and the brands involved I'm assuming a large chunk of the sales are coming in from the non-metro/rural markets. That's where the consumption and faltering economy seems to have had a lesser impact.
Old 6th August 2013, 16:26   #97
BHPian

This monthly analysis is excellent........... If accurate sales data is available we should have similar analysis for luxury cars as this segment is growing in size. India is a growing market for Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Tata's Jaguar.

Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 17:02   #98
BHPian

I always had the conception that monthly sales figures can give a more complete picture when taken in conjunction with waiting lists. Production barriers and plans maybe hitting models in certain months. Eg Swifts (sold +waiting) would be greater than WagonR (no waiting) - hence the real demand is better understood. Happy with WagonR's climb though as a happy owner

Also, as a M&S man, was never comfortable with a non Indian driving figures in India - there is something about psyche that an Indian would understand better (have experienced the difference in my career though not in auto). Production, designing, quality can be adeptly headed by foreigners. Maybe food for thought at Tata
Old 6th August 2013, 18:25   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Another point to be noted as steady decline of Hyundai Verna. Any specific reason behind this ?
Though the month on month sales of Hyundai Verna are declining - but if we consider its market share in its segment (as per my personal segmentation - I'm considering sedans only), then it has remained stable and in fact even increased marginally over the past 6 months. So overall the sales in the segment have gone down - the pie has shrunk due to the market conditions, but Verna's slice of that pie has not gone down proportionately. Refer to the excel sheets in post#71 that I posted. Attaching sheet#2 again for reference (Verna Row#28):

July 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg
jessie007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 21:52   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The higher numbers for Fiat is mainly due to the 1 lakh loyalty bonus offer for every car that's exchanged for a Fiat.
What is the bonus that fiat is offering?
Old 6th August 2013, 22:25   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

What has gone wrong with Nissan Micra? The newly launched Micra Active at such a competitive price point should have atleast made some positive effect on Micra's sales numbers which is otherwise also a very capable car. Sometimes I just fail to understand the way the Indian customer thinks.
Old 6th August 2013, 22:58   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Sometimes I just fail to understand the way the Indian customer thinks.
How can you explain just 400+ units of the Sail Uva, that too not a single diesel? I was thinking about a city hatch and sail was coming under consideration and it looked like a good value.
Old 6th August 2013, 23:43   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinblades View Post
What is the bonus that fiat is offering?
50000 off for punto when you exchange another car ( in addition to the resale value of old car )
1,00,000 off on Linea when you exchange another car ( in addition to the resale value of old car )
In addition 2012 model Linea gets discounts upto 2,00,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What has gone wrong with Nissan Micra? The newly launched Micra Active at such a competitive price point should have atleast made some positive effect on Micra's sales numbers which is otherwise also a very capable car. Sometimes I just fail to understand the way the Indian customer thinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
How can you explain just 400+ units of the Sail Uva, that too not a single diesel?
The world market buys the likes of Toyota, Nissan, Chevrolet. Indians are still obsessed with a Maruti. There are a lots of myths with Maruti as well like low cost of maintenance when reality speaks otherwise. Having changed from Maruti to Toyota, I understand how much of an effort Toyota put into the practical and durability aspects of a car. No wonder why their 'boring' designs still sell all over the world.

We are more concerned about how the car looks ( even if we are cramped for room to such an extent that we cannot even stretch our legs properly ). It also doesn't matter to us whether the manufacturer is taking us for a ride with regards to the maintenance costs. It even doesn't matter if they compromise on critical parts like the brakes. All that matters is how funky the car looks like. :-)

Anyway the Amaze has turned the tables a bit. It has the looks and it's practical. There are still some who crib about how the interior looks. But, from the initial response to this great car, I guess better sense eventually prevails for an average Indian buyer. Waiting for the day when they boost their production capacity. It could be the start of the end for Maruti .

Last edited by amalji : 7th August 2013 at 00:02.
Old 7th August 2013, 00:03   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Amaze sales clearly seems to have hit the swift sales number.
The sale of swift has plunged gradually from 19k to 10k now while the amaze has grown to 6.5k. This is a great achievement from Honda considering the reach that Maruti had to each nook and corner of the country.
For the first time since the launch of Swift, Maruti does seem to have a tough time ahead. The year on year growth is a wrong indicator for Maruti, since last year same time their production capacity was restricted by the Manesar fiasco.
Seems a bit interesting why Swift sales numbers have fallen, instead of DZire. The natural competitor for the Amaze should be the Maruti sedan and not the hatch right?

Swift had 17k sales in June 2013, while it came down to 10,641 in July.
DZire on the other hand had only 12,548 in June, but increased to 15249 in July.

In my opinion - we need to wait few months become claiming a big success for Honda. This seems to be a variation in dealer dispatches from Maruti IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
How can you explain just 400+ units of the Sail Uva, that too not a single diesel? I was thinking about a city hatch and sail was coming under consideration and it looked like a good value.
I had explained in Page 3 of this thread. Production was halted (And i guess issues are still not sorted). IMO - you should look at other options.

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industri...-bs-iii-323248

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th August 2013 at 00:07.
Old 7th August 2013, 00:19   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Seems a bit interesting why Swift sales numbers have fallen, instead of DZire. The natural competitor for the Amaze should be the Maruti sedan and not the hatch right?

Swift had 17k sales in June 2013, while it came down to 10,641 in July.
DZire on the other hand had only 12,548 in June, but increased to 15249 in July.
In fact, the effect is on both the Dzire as well as Swift. 3 months back, Dzire was consistently clocking 19k to 20k. It has come down to 12-15k now.
Swift came down to 10k . All this happened when Honda has a production constraint. Just wait for the Honda diesels to prove its reliability and with the increased production, it should roll over the Maruti at least in all cities and towns where Honda has a dealership.

And we need to also consider 2 aspects here in addition to the sales plunge.
1. The waiting period for swift and Dzire has come down to almost nil.
2. Maruti had to stop one shift @ Manesar plant ( where Swift is manufactured ) and send the employees for unpaid vacation. This should be the first time since the release of swift that they had to resort to such drastic measures.

Last edited by amalji : 7th August 2013 at 00:26.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed