Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 20:19   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai Grand i10 Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
which means the rear door and window would be longer than Euro spec.
What they mention is 'a less rakish window line to increase visibility' and not just a larger/loner window (due to the increased wheelbase). This will be a very significant change to the design from the Euro version (if the Euro version indeed has more slopping window line like the Eon).
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 20:27   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
What they mention is 'a less rakish window line to increase visibility' and not just a larger/loner window (due to the increased wheelbase). This will be a very significant change to the design from the Euro version (if the Euro version indeed has more slopping window line like the Eon).
True. This is the best candidate for them to build a sub-4m compact sedan, which is probably almost ready. By the looks of it, the rear door looks like something that can fit in a sedan too, so they just need to add a boot (with 235mm length available for boot) to release the sedan version of Grande i10 and axe the Accent. India specific design might be specifically done considering maximum parts sharing with a compact sedan based on this hatch.

Last edited by zenren : 6th September 2013 at 20:35.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 22:07   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. This is the best candidate for them to build a sub-4m compact sedan, which is probably almost ready. By the looks of it, the rear door looks like something that can fit in a sedan too, so they just need to add a boot (with 235mm length available for boot) to release the sedan version of Grande i10 and axe the Accent. India specific design might be specifically done considering maximum parts sharing with a compact sedan based on this hatch.
It is a possibility but it appears a bit tallish to be a well proportioned sedan.
Old 7th September 2013, 01:02   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_vas View Post
Got this on-road price list for Bangalore from advaith Hyundai.
Thanks, ant_vas, for the on-road price list for Bangalore from Advaith Hyundai. Now, compare your list with the list that I got from Counto Automobiles here in Porvorim-Goa earlier this evening.

BANGALORE PRICE LIST
Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-bangalore-pricelist.jpg

GOA PRICE LIST
Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-grand-i10-pricelist.jpg

1. You will notice that the prices vary by a significant Rs 50,000 for the same Asta (O) Metallic model (Petrol) between Bangalore (Rs 6.77 L) and Goa (Rs 6.25 L).

2. The ex-showroom price of Asta (O) Metallic model (Petrol) in Bangalore is Rs 5.61 L, while it is merely Rs 10,000 less in Goa (Rs 5.51 L) The difference in road tax, though, is a whopping Rs 40,000 between Bangalore (Rs 87,000) and Goa (Rs 47,000).

3. What's also interesting is that the "Other Charges" specified by Counto Automobiles. It is specified below the price-list that "other charges include Handling and logistics (Rs 4000) and Basic Accessories (Rs 2000)." Incidentally, they haven't accounted for the remaining Rs 500 though.

4. It appears that while the "Standard Accessories" are priced at Rs 1000 in Bangalore, they are priced at Rs 2000 here in Goa. Assuming that the accessories would be from the same Hyundai source, I wonder why is there a difference in price of accessories between Bangalore and Goa.

Having said that, my wife and I were very impressed by the Grand i10. It is a huge improvement over our i10 facelift (2010) model. The boot is much bigger than our i10 and the Grand i10 has a more spacious cabin as well. The seats were softer than those in our i10 and legroom is also better. Though the Grand i10 is shorter than our i10, I did not find any difficulty getting into the car in the showroom. Fit and finish was top notch. The Grand i10 is perfectly located in between the i10 and the i20.

Unfortunately, both i10s do not come with 60:40 split seats.

Hoping to go for a test drive soon.

Psssst, team-bhp, the review please?

Last edited by misquitas : 7th September 2013 at 01:20.
misquitas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 12:50   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The changes indeed have been made specifically for Indian car market. The wheelbase of Indian version is 100mm longer than the version of the car that will be sold in Europe and other places, the aim was to liberate more space for the rear seat.

Similarly, Hyundai India claims the rear windows have been kept larger than the Euro version to give it less claustrophobic feel at rear. The Rear A/C vents are also India specific development.
Quote:
All 3 changes are actually linked and is what I would call intelligent engineering. I like the way Hyundai advertised everything separately - that's good marketing

The 100mm increase in wheelbase was done to increase the rear legroom, which means the rear door and window would be longer than Euro spec. Rear AC vents are also possible only because of the increased rear legroom, else the 5th passenger would not be able to sit properly.
Quote:
It is a possibility but it appears a bit tallish to be a well proportioned sedan.
I think what they also did for us was that one could lower the glass all the way down. I remember the sales guy telling me about this ( the competition according to him being the Figo).

I missed to record how comfortable it was for the passenger in the middle when I did the video.

I think in India most middle class people would buy a hatch and get a chauffeur. This car is would be ideal for them coz such car owners would feel more comfortable with more space/ac etc. I also noted that the rear door panel was sculpted in such a way that more space is created at the rear ( its curved and not flat).

I did manage to drive it over a big hump and the rear passenger were very ok with the jolt ( if any there was). I was also worried that the bottom would scrap but it didn't ( I redid this step twice). I am very sure that passenger in Swift if taken over the same road would curse me.

This is the apt diesel city car coz
1) its small
2) nice torque diesel engine
3) has all the accessories one would ask for at this segment
4) light steering
5) aggressive brakes.

I don't like the lighter steering part nor the over-servo'd brakes but I guess this is what most would prefer.
They should have given atleast ABS on lower versions and airbags as option. ( I am not sure if they do this and so don't flame me about this part).

Last one..

Last edited by jkdas : 7th September 2013 at 12:59.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 16:26   #291
BHPian

I took my friend to see the Grand i10 this morning. He was interested in the boot specifications as he is a musician and needs every bit of space in the boot to store his keyboard and other equipment. For the purpose of comparison, we took measurements of his Wagon R (2008 model), my facelift i10 and the Grand i10.

This are the specs that we could quickly measure:

BOOT SPECS (in inches):

Car-------------i10-------Wagon R------Grand i10

Length----------40-----------39.5----------41.5
Depth-----------21-----------22------------24
Height----------25-----------20.5-----------22
Seat-to-glass---12-----------17------------16

Suffice to say, the Grand i10 boot is significantly larger than our i10.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 19:20   #292
BHPian

Just had a good look at the i10 at a nearby dealer showroom. I was quite impressed. Hats off the Hyundai and many thanks for offering such a good product to Indian customers. The doors feel good. Boot is spacious, Driver seats and rear seats are impressive. The leg space also impressed me. Good to see bigger tires on alloys.
I walked away with a big regret, no automatic transmission available. I just feel like going to the Hyundai factory and getting one Auto variant made at a premium.
Old 7th September 2013, 21:06   #293
Senior - BHPian

Never liked i10 one bit in the past. But I must admit, this one is a good looker. I still wish they had launched UK version which looks very sporty. And Hyundai has loaded this one with features. I am sure AT version will follow in a month or two.
Old 8th September 2013, 13:38   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a feel of the car as I stopped by when passing by the showroom. Would like to put a few points across purely on practicality and comfort. The car is built very well - to be more precise, doors shut with a quiet soft thud, the rubber lining insulates very well. The interior plastics are very modern. The exterior design is clean and neat, which can please everyone. Afterall it is designed in Germany by Thomas Bürkle. The Vspoke 2 tone alloys look very smart.

Good ones :
1) Well insulated soft closing doors 2) Soft well padded seats 3) Rear a.c with fully closeable vents 4) Front a.c vents can be closed too, if someone doesn't want it 5) Light in boot 6) Very light clutch 7) Side mirrors close/open when pressing lock/unlock by remote/access button 8) Very informative display system below tachometer 9) Side rubber strips - very useful for India and will protect the door when opening in tight spaces 10) Space is more than adequate for its class

Not so good ones :
1) Interior roof handles where you sometimes like to grab onto is not spring loaded foldable, but fixed as an actual handle, just fyi more than a con 2) 1 reverse light (not satisfied) 3) Could have fixed front centre arm-rest 4) The taller thicker roof rails have no real purpose, could have made it nice & flat for a shorter stance 5) Height could have been made even lower to improve dynamics and avoid body-roll in all situation.

There is no real complaint though for a car in that class. Everyone will be happy with it, the Asta variant makes the most sense. In summary its a well built safe vehicle, has a 4 cyl petrol engine with 83 ps which is quiet and well refined, & is comfortable for 4 adults with good luggage space. The car looks very neat and formal in Silver/Grey while it looks funky in reddish colours. Overall a 4.5/5 product.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-grand-i10.jpg  

dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 13:50   #295
BHPian

Saw one TD vehicle pass by yesterday. The front looks quite plain and no non sense. But got to say, the rear looks very good and modern with the micra-like shape rear glass and slightly evolved polo-like tail lamps.
The car looks catchy and fresh.
The front would have been made a little more fluidic I wish.
Old 8th September 2013, 13:58   #296
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I visited the "Auto Expo" at the Chennai Trade Centre yesterday. It turned out to be another attempt to bring together dealers of various car brands to push sales ahead of the festive season. There was representation from only one bike company (Yamaha) at the show.

On display at the Hyundai stall (put up by KUN Hyundai) were an i20, the Verna with minor changes, and taking up centre-stage, eagerly checked out by almost every visitor, was the new Grand i10. It was an orange Sportz 1.2 petrol. Unlike the 1.1 diesel, the gear pattern of the petrol is the conventional H type with R being in-line with 5

I must say I was impressed with the way Hyundai are making progress with each successive generation of vehicles, and even each facelift on the same generation. The original Santro was followed by the Santro Xing, which was a solid improvement. They made a big leap with the launch of the i10, the facelifted model was even better - the i10 Kappa2 VTVT is the quickest naturally aspirated 1.2 lit. engined car in the country, with a 0-100 km/hr figure that is the the range of 1.6 lit. petrols and way ahead of all its 1.2 lit. competitors. Of course, the i10's characteristic tall boy handling, bouncy rear suspension and skinny tyres take away a significant amount of fun of driving such a quick car.

With the Grand i10, Hyundai have made another huge leap forward, and if the test drive reports are anything to go by, they have leapt over and ahead of the competition, by sorting out the ride and handling characteristics of the car. There is absolutely no cost cutting visible in critical areas (other than the integrated front headrests), the panel gaps, exterior finish and paint are consistently good and the doors feel reasonably solid (but not hefty or "thuddy").

The interior is where Hyundai's trump card lies. The boot is now sufficient in size, the seats have much better contours and support and the seat fabric's quality is good. The dashboard is the icing on the cake. The steering wheel is chunky to hold with the trip meter and reset buttons located on it (rather than on the speedo console), the dials are crystal clear and legible, and the way the switches and A/C knobs operate exudes a feeling of sheer quality.

The Grand i10 has a rear seat optimized for India when compared to the new European i10. The rear legroom (but not width) is now in the league of the i20 (thanks to the extended wheelbase) rather than the i10, ingress and egress are easy, the headroom is good, as is the H-point and the under-thigh support, and the rear A/C vent is a very useful feature for India that is sometimes not found in cars twice its price (or more). The black and beige colour combo is neat.

It must be noted however, that the Grand i10 is not a tall boy hatchback. It is NOT as low slung as some sedans but it is not as high as a true tall boy (like the Ritz, Wagon R, Santro and i10). It can be called a semi-tall boy. The seat base to floor distance is good and therefore one can sit comfortably without having to squat.

Hyundai should have made the rear seat even more comfortable by offering a foldable armrest, especially considering that split seats are not on offer. In any case, the car can comfortably seat only four (five would be uncomfortable for long distances because of the width and the A/C vent housing).

The performance and drivability of the 83PS 1.2 Kappa dual VTVT should be very good, as long as Hyundai have stuck to sensible gear ratios. It may not be as quick as the i10 Kappa2 VTVT due to the extra weight but it should be quicker than the i20 with the same engine and one of the quickest 5 among cars with 1.2 lit. NA engines. But if the test drive reports are true, then the improved ride, handling and steering should make it more fun-to-drive than the quicker i10.

The new 71PS 3-cyl. diesel seems tuned for drivability, fuel efficiency and refinement rather than outright performance. This is the correct approach, since the car would be used mostly in the city and the small 1.1 lit. CRDi would have had significant lag if a bigger turbo was used to improve flat-out performance.

I think the new Grand i10 is an excellent effort at intelligently engineering a car for India by the boys from South Korea This car is a potential best seller for Hyundai India, and sales should easily surpass those of the i20, the i10 and even the Eon, as long as Hyundai quickly adjust production to meet demand and avoid waiting periods.

My request to Hyundai India still stays the same - introduce the automatic version (and a diesel auto if possible) soon, and bring in a new Sportz(O) variant with driver's airbag, ABS and adjustable rear-seat headrests instead of an Asta without safety features, and watch sales shoot up to unexpected levels.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 14:40   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The taller thicker roof rails have no real purpose, could have made it nice & flat for a shorter stance
These roof rails allow you to fix a Tule box or a carrier without drilling holes on the roof.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2013, 20:45   #298
BHPian

Took a TD of the Petrol and Diesel back to back, and I'm mighty impressed with the petrol one. It just took off from the word go, and definitely did not feel like a 1.2L engine at all. There are only a couple of things that I didn't like - the dash felt a tad too high for my tastes, and the driver seat height adjust is too less, could have been better. Apart from this the clutch of both the petrol and diesel is very light and gearbox smooth. It would have been perfect if the driver arm rest (one from i20) was offered at least in the top trim. Hopefully it should be available as an accessory.
While the petrol is an absolute fun car to drive, the diesel felt tuned for fuel efficiency and most suited for sedate driving.
An AT in the Asta trim would have blown away the competition - Brio, Micra et al, but unfortunately, the dealer says it might take another 2 to 3 months if at all it gets launched.
msmatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 10:54   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmatic View Post
While the petrol is an absolute fun car to drive, the diesel felt tuned for fuel efficiency and most suited for sedate driving.
My mouth is already watering. Being a sedate driver myself, this beauty needs to be in my life and I may just consider filing for divorce as I'm already in love, yet again, and my second love (my i10) is no match for her sister. Heck, I'm already feeling the need for an "extra-carital" relationship!

I feel that Hyundai should have offered ABS, air bags, etc. from the Sportz model onwards, or at least, have made it an optional fittment, to prove a point that it while it excels in fit and finish, it ALSO takes safety seriously. Honda, for that matter, should be commended as it provides a lot of safety features on all of its variants.

How I wish the Grand i10 had split 60:40 rear seats. I mean, how much more would it have cost Hyundai to have included these split seats as standard fitment? Else, the Grand i10 could at least have had a double folding rear seat, like in the Santro, so that the floor could have been totally flat when the rear seats are folded, rather than merely folding the back rest and bringing it down to a certain degree (not fully flat).

Also, why did Hyundai not include a dead pedal for the driver on the Grand i10 and how much more would it have cost as a standard, or optional fitment? The decade-old Santro has it and it makes a big difference while driving long distances.

By the way, is there any news about extended warranty? Nothing was mentioned in the Goa and Bangalore price list. Unless, of course, they are not offering this facility for the Grand i10.

Last edited by misquitas : 9th September 2013 at 11:09.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 18:08   #300
BHPian

Quote:
These roof rails allow you to fix a Tule box or a carrier without drilling holes on the roof.
Have you used these type of roof rails (of some other cars) for the usage like you have mentioned? IMO if you mount a luggage carrier on the roof rail, it will be a risky business. After a sometime, water seepage may happen.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks