Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2013, 18:10   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post

It's the same way in our i10. Interestingly, the adjustable rear head rests only come in Sportz and above. Don't know if it is same in the Grand i10.
In the grand only the top end asta gets adjustable head rests for the rear.
Old 15th September 2013, 20:46   #332
BHPian

re: Hyundai Grand i10 Preview

Mod Note : The Hyundai Grand i10's Official Review can be found at this link.

Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

i10 Grand Kappa Petrol initial impression :

Looks : Grand looks quite well balanced and proportionate. It is very likely that general mass will accept this safe but appealing design from the word go (they already had !). This is not exactly a tall boy design like the Santro but it definitely stands taller than the i20. I liked the way they treated the rear end, it looks classy and very European. The front end though could have had some more character than being a Eon+i20 kind of amalgamation. I wont call this design as 'fluidic'. This is more like an understated design with some Hyundai touch for distinction.
Better looking than i10 standard ? A definite yes !

Best looking Hyundai hatchback ? No. i20 fluidic is still more appealing overall

Build Quality / Fit and Finish : I was literally stunned by the kind of quality Hyundai has provided to this small hatch. Not like this is something we arenot aware of Hyundai's reputation but still i10 Grand can clearly pass among the better built hatchbacks around in its price range. Fit and finish is excellent inside out. Panel gaps are tight. And the sheet metal used is tougher compared to its Japanese competitors (All the competitors I mean!). The car looked classy in the Wine Red shade. Partly the deep gloss paint is responsible for this.

Interiors and comfort : When it comes to interior design, Hyundai provides good balance between style and functionality. Grand just reflects the fact. The dashboard design is upmarket and can easily qualify for a entry level sedan. I liked the steering wheel which feels great to hold and look at. The glovebox provides decent space and the door side pockets are practical enough. Quality of materials used is also very good. They have more softer feel compared to that of i10 standard . I would have personally preferred brighter texture in the car as the color scheme makes the car look little dull.

Equipment wise also the car is quite well loaded. The topend Asta model comes with Push button start, parking sensors, bluetooth connectivity, smart keys etc. Even the Magna and Sportz models have a very good feature list which goes on to reflect how well equips Hyundai its cars. Sadly ABS and Airbags are optional only with the top end model. I would call this an retrograde step for not keeping safety as a priority.

Spacewise Grand provides good legroom and headroom at the back as expected. The passengers sit little lower which sacrifices the thigh support a bit. Front seats with integrated headrest provide adequate comfort. Driving position is good, so is the visibility.

Engine,gearbox and performance : The Kappa2 powerplant is a capable engine as we know in the i10 standard. It performs satisfactorily in the Grand as well. The engine is decently responsive from lower rpm itself and one doesnt have work around the gearbox too much. Midrange is quite strong for a 1.2 litre engine and it propels the car to respectable speeds. Refinement levels are fine. But the engine doesnt like being pushed hard like say a Suzuki or Honda engine.

Gearbox is simply brilliant. Its extremely light,short throw and slots into the channel very well. Its an absolute joy to use.

Ride, Handling and dynamics : Now this is where Hyundai has actually improved with Grand. Ride quality. The suspension this time around has been stiffened a bit and this helps the car in being composed for most part of the road. Yes it is little stiff at lower speeds but as the speed rises it doesnt bounce like other Hyundai cars. At 100 kmph the car feels sufficiently stable with the car being capable of handling some better speed. This goes on to show what improvement the car has achieved. No its Figo or Swift kind of handler. But then Grand can handle pace better than i10 and even the bigger i20.

Interestingly even the steering is heavier than what we are used in Hyundai cars. Though it still isnt as communicative as it should be but the extra weight at speed surely does provide more confidence.

Verdict : I feel the Grand is among the best Hyundai car in the market in overall terms. It just does most of the things reasonably well. It is well built, well equipped and drives reasonably well. There will be competitors which are more entertaining to drive but as an overall package Grand is an excellent choice.

A small comparo with Brio which I checked back to back :

Grand Advantage :
- Feels better build overall. Lesser cost cutting areas. Finer details. Hyundai has actually overtaken Honda in this regard !
- Interior design and equipment level makes Grand special
- Bigger boot. Slightly better space at the backseat
- Kappa2 has better initial response at lower revs and hence will be better City drive.
- Gearbox of Grand is a genuine step ahead of Brio's notchy shifts.
- Ride quality and damping is better with Grand.

Brio Advantage :
- More driver oriented drive. Suspension is taut and handling is zippier.
- iVtec comes to its own once revs cross 3000 rpm. Its more fun to push than the Kappa unit. At lower revs Honda is immediately more silent too.
- Interiors look brighter and enhances the ambiance.
- Honda is expected to be more consistent with fuel efficiency. Maintenance costs can be cheaper too.

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2013 at 12:55. Reason: Link to official review
Turbokick is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks