Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2013, 21:37   #76
BHPian

re: Hyundai Grand i10 Preview

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 11th August 2013 at 00:14.
Achyuth Vaibhav is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th August 2013, 21:58   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Preview & Drive

Well explained!

But as Indian market is 'different' than Rest of the World, they could've named it i15 and Indian customers would've felt privileged.

WRT pulling the plug on Santro, I must add that the sales figures it is clocking month after month is a distant dream for various manufacturers. But who knows, when i20 exceeded the HMILs expectations by 2 to 3 times they pulled the plug on Getz, this time it may be Santro. Also I like Santro Xing very much and prefer it over i10 anyday, but that's me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
I guess i15 was not possible because...
Old 7th August 2013, 22:15   #78
Senior - BHPian

Why don't they bring in UK version? It looks much much better than new Indian one. Why this discrimination? And Hyundai, please stop making the current i10. It is plain eye-sore.
Old 7th August 2013, 23:12   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
The official debut of the Euro-spec i10 is at Frankfurt while India launch of i10 Grand could be on September 4th.

Cheers,

Jay
Yes mate, I noticed the same after publishing those images. Subsequently I mentioned the same in another post. By the way the launch of Hyundai Grande i10 is on 3rd September (not on 04th September).
Old 7th August 2013, 23:46   #80
BHPian

I think Hyundai has done their research to keep the name i10 Grand. If I am the common man and have no idea about the market, the name tells me that this is a car somewhere near the i10's price point but with better quality/features.
Also, I don't see why does a small car require AC vents at the rear. Also will it not eat into the leg space for the person sitting in the middle? I would rather prefer having an armrest for the driver.
Old 8th August 2013, 00:52   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

TAI member Maheswara has snapped some really exclusive pics of the Hyundai i10 Grand during an advertisement shoot in his gated community. He has covered plenty of details, including interiors, in his pics.

The variant snapped is the Asta Automatic.

A massive scoop, I must say!

Mod Note: This picture was un-authorized and has been removed from automotive India. Same has been done here.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th August 2013 at 09:39.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2013, 01:57   #82
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

The variant snapped is the Asta Automatic.

A massive scoop, I must say!

Attaching a snap of the interior. The rest can be seen on the following.
A massive scoop indeed! Thank you!

From the pictures of the automatic's interiors, I can see that the gear lever is a P-R-N-D with + and - for upshifts and downshifts in D mode, like in the Fluidic Verna and Elantra. This is most welcome! It's much better than the P-R-N-D-2-L with O/D (4th gear) button on D mode, as in the current i10 and even the i20.

I hope Hyundai price the new car reasonably, and offer the automatic option in the Sportz trim level as well!
Old 8th August 2013, 04:43   #83
BANNED

They should come up with a diesel automatic. There is pretty much none available in the hatch category. There are several people who are liking their auto trans. My i10 auto has kept me very happy so far, and I am never going back to manual trans. People like me would certainly like a auto diesel hatch as their next upgrade.
Old 8th August 2013, 07:44   #84
Senior - BHPian

Looks good. Hyundai doing MS here. A-Star->Ritz->Swift, i10->i10 Grand->i20.
Why don't they call it i15?

Quote:
The above pictures have been provided by Hyundai. Our test car was camouflaged, detailed images below:
I don't understand the need of camouflage when they them self provided clear exterior pics!! Interiors I can understand.
Old 8th August 2013, 07:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing this with us .anshuman. I really like the styling from the rear. Reminds me of the new Peugeots.

Compact, spacious, comfortable and a frugal 3 cylinder Diesel. An AT box would have made the i10 Grand perfect for our cities.

And Hyundai should have called it the i15. That would have been a more desirable name.
Old 8th August 2013, 07:51   #86
Team-BHP Support

Excellent report anshuman.

During the Q&A- Didn't anyone question Hyundai why the exteriors were camouflaged when official pictures were released anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I would definitely look at their petrol auto for my wife.
And that's the major disappointment, for what promises to be a brilliant package otherwise.

The Hyundai automatics have been made to look ancient after the recent launches from Honda and VW. Even Nissan has entered the party with an old-school, but smooth CVT. Moreover, there are many user complaints about the fuel efficiency figures of their i10 automatic. I was expecting Hyundai to up the game with this launch, however they have chosen the same engine + gearbox combination.

The focus here seems to be the diesel and diesel alone.

Here's how they have split the segment, IMO-

Petrol hatch- i10.
Petrol automatic hatch- i10.
Diesel hatch - i10 grand.
Petrol premium hatch- i20. (Remember i20 is a rare case where petrol variants are still in demand!)

I expect the diesel grand to be priced squarely against petrol i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

And Hyundai should have called it the i15. That would have been a more desirable name.
Agree. Somehow this reminds me of Samsung Galaxy Grand.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th August 2013 at 16:17. Reason: Fixing quote tag ;)
Old 8th August 2013, 10:49   #87
BHPian

Super effort given the constraints Anshuman!

The design seems to be a cross between the i20 and the Eon and the result is not very appealing to me. Positively dislike the rear. That being said, if Hyundai get the pricing + positioning right on this one, it might just become a runaway success. They just have to be careful with the overlap factor on both ends of this car i.e. the i10 and the i20. I'm sure Hyundai have done their homework.

Very classy alloy design BTW. Most eagerly waiting to see the 1.1 liter oil-burner under this one. That could really make or break it.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 8th August 2013 at 10:52.
Old 8th August 2013, 11:00   #88
Senior - BHPian

Not good looking at all. Pretty generic design.
Old 8th August 2013, 11:14   #89
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the report Anshuman. Even the camouflage and restrictions, you managed to squeeze the maximum info from the preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Team-BHP was invited for a sneak peek of Hyundai's latest hatchback that - interestingly - was camouflaged during our drive; the Hyundai i10 Grand. The name i10 Grand may sound like a newer variant or face-lift of the existing i10, but that is not the case. The i10 Grand is an all new car built on a different platform and will not replace the current i10; it will be sold alongside the current car.

This new platform will be used for multiple Hyundai cars on a global level, yet the i10 Grand is a 'Made for India' model. Compared to the model which will be offered in other markets, Hyundai claims to have made major changes for the Indian market. Namely, a longer wheelbase to liberate more passenger space, with a special emphasis on rear seat comfort. A spacious rear seat and the ability to seat 5 seemed to be the main focus of Hyundai's presentation to the media as well.
Even though it’s an all-new car, is this really the next generation i10 to replace the current one in global markets? If so, in India it will be the case of two generations sold side-by-side, something which Suzuki have mastered with the likes of Alto, A-Star etc. Anyway, from a business POV, this looks to be a masterstroke from Hyundai, especially with the diesel engine.
Old 8th August 2013, 11:26   #90
Senior - BHPian

Great crisp review there with the limitations in place!

So this would fall squarely in Figo range with the base diesel hatch, I presume?

As always, we would expect the steering to have a mind of its own. But as with every other launch, Hyundai would package it well, and hopefully exclude Bollywood actors this time.

I also hope their dealers lose a little bit of attitude which they throw on prospective customers. Perhaps this attitude has already been passed on to the Ford SAs now with the Ecosport.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed