Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2013, 03:31   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Grand i10 Preview

Mod Note : The Hyundai Grand i10's Official Review can be found at this link.

Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-grand-fronttop.jpg

Team-BHP was invited for a sneak peek of Hyundai's latest hatchback that - interestingly - was camouflaged during our drive; the Hyundai Grand i10. The name Grand i10 may sound like a newer variant or face-lift of the existing i10, but that is not the case. The Grand i10 is an all new car built on a different platform and will not replace the current i10; it will be sold alongside the current car.

This new platform will be used for multiple Hyundai cars on a global level, yet the Grand i10 is a 'Made for India' model. Compared to the model which will be offered in other markets, Hyundai claims to have made major changes for the Indian market. Namely, a longer wheelbase to liberate more passenger space, with a special emphasis on rear seat comfort. A spacious rear seat and the ability to seat 5 seemed to be the main focus of Hyundai's presentation to the media as well.

The Grand i10 will come with Hyundai's first locally manufactured 1.1 Liter, 3 Cylinder U2 CRDi engine. This diesel motor will be manufactured in Hyundai's freshly inaugurated diesel engine plant (link). Along with the 1.1 CRDi engine, the existing 1.2 Liter Petrol VTVT Kappa2 will also be available. The Automatic transmission from the current i10 will be offered as an option for the Petrol engined Grand i10.

Hyundai claims best-in-class Fuel Efficiency for the CRDi Diesel, although no figure has been disclosed as yet. Hyundai has not revealed any other specifications of the car or the engine either. As a frame of reference, the older version of this engine (which was sold under the hood of the European i10) used to make 74 BHP. The new engine however, has been heavily redesigned.

Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-front-launch.jpg

Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-rear-pr-new.jpg

The above pictures have been provided by Hyundai. Our test car was camouflaged, detailed images below:

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2013 at 12:55. Reason: Link to Official Review
.anshuman is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 03:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Interiors

The Grand i10 is bigger in size than the existing i10 and carries the now familiar Fluidic design language. The side profile has a similar form to the i10, as a result of which it looks more like a bigger i10 than a smaller i20. The car has raised roof rails too, though they are a fairly low profile. In terms of overall length, the Grand i10 looks longer than the current i10, but it isn't much wider, maybe because (just) a longer wheelbase was used to alter the space inside the car.

The design theme for the interiors is different compared to the other fluidic interiors we know. The dashboard is black, with a large beige insert in the center. Just like other Hyundai cars, the colour theme used inside is black + beige. Though Hyundai emphasized on their choice of beige as the dominant interior shade, I could see more black coloured bits than beige. Except for the roof and upper portion of the pillars, beige is mostly used for the inserts. For example, the seats are black but the center portion has beige inserts. Similarly, the door pads are black in colour and use small beige inserts in the center. Most other bits like carpets et al are black. The door handles are a straight pick from the fluidic Verna, and the top end Grand i10 will get chrome covered handles. Overall quality of the materials used is top notch, while the fit & finish is typical Hyundai.

The dashboard has two large A/C vents on either sides of the centrally placed music system. Just below the head-unit are the large HVAC controls. The HVAC system is manually regulated, there is no Automatic Climate Control on offer here. The switchgear has a quality feel to it, most of the switches and controls feel like they have been lifted from a more expensive car. Just like the i10, even the Grand i10's gear lever console is integrated with the dashboard.

The medium-sized front seats are well contoured. They have much better back support compared to the seats in the current i10, but the seats still have fixed headrests (like the current car). The fore/aft travel range is good, even really tall folk like me can find enough legroom available. The driver's seat is height adjustable, with the standard pump-type lever. However, the i10-like dashboard integrated gear lever intrudes too much into leg space. The door panel intrudes more than required too, leaving not much room for the legs to move sideways. The steering wheel is tilt-adjustable (no reach adjustment like the i20).

A start/stop system similar to the one in the i20 will be offered on higher variants. There is no reversing camera, although reversing sensors will be part of the kit. The glove-box will get a cooling vent. The outside mirrors can be electronically controlled and folded as well. ABS and dual front Airbags make the safety kit.

The music system has inbuilt memory for up to 1 GB of music (about 200 songs at 5 MB a piece). The internal storage can be populated via a USB pen drive, or any other device connected via USB (e.g. a Smartphone). The audio system has CD, AUX-In, USB and Bluetooth streaming capability. The steering wheel gets integrated audio + phone controls.

The real highlight seems to be the focus on the rear seat. The rear seat has a good amount of legroom, considering the car's external dimensions. 6 footers will actually be able to fit in! Having achieved a good amount of room by using a longer wheelbase, Hyundai has put in even more effort to utilize the space more efficiently. For instance, the seats are much thinner compared to cars like the Maruti Swift. Just like the Dzire, the rear bench seat-back angle is reclined a bit further than normal. Even the seat back (of the front seats) are scooped in a bit for extra space. It's surprising to see adjustable headrests at the rear, but not at the front. The rear door panels have been kept flat and slim to maximise passenger space. As a result of these measures, not only is the legroom good, but the seat is genuinely comfortable (by B-segment hatchback standards). No complaints on the headroom front either. The only downer is the lack of cabin width; the car simply isn't wide enough to seat 3 large adults on the rear bench. Interior width is closer to the i10 than the i20.

Another element that proves the rear seat focus is the presence of a rear A/C vent. There is a single set of horizontal louvers across the full width of the vent, but the vertical louvers are in two individually adjustable sets. Translated, the airflow height adjustment is common, but the airflow direction can be independently adjusted on each side. Upwards of speed 2 on the blower, air volume is good enough for 2 passengers on the rear seat. The A/C housing has a standard 12v socket for charging phones and gadgets.

Hyundai claims they have made the rear windows large to give an airy feel at the back, despite styling inputs from the design team suggesting that the car looked better with smaller windows. I still found the rear window sills to be placed on the higher side. The glass starts close to my shoulder height, and it had somewhat of a claustrophobic feel at the rear.

While the actual dimensions & capacity haven't been shared yet, the boot seems to be sufficient for a hatchback of this size.

No interior photos were allowed...this is as much as we're allowed to show at this time:

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th August 2013 at 16:08.
.anshuman is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 03:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Engine & Drive

Hyundai hasn't revealed any of the specifications of the new 1.1L Diesel. Of course, the 1.2L Kappa2 petrol from the current i10 is going to be offered in the Grand i10 as well. The Diesel engine will get a Manual Transmission only, but the Petrol will be offered in both MT and AT guise. The Automatic Transmission will be the same as the one used in the current i10.

The 3-cylinder diesel is compact in size. In the smallish engine bay of the Grand i10, there is a good amount of empty space around. So much so that I could sneak behind the engine block and read the turbocharger's brand (Honeywell). Engine mounts appear to be the hydraulic type.

I may not know the engine specs, but I can surely tell you how it is to drive. Hyundai let us drive the Grand i10 with the 1.1L U2 CRDi engine for a short distance. While the route wasn't long enough to shell out a full fledged review, it was enough to give us a preview of the engine's characteristics.

When I got the car, the engine was already warmed up, hence I don't know what it's cold start clatter sounds like. With the engine warmed up, the clatter was well controlled outside. Inside the car, sound insulation is rather impressive, although there is a movement at idling, typical of 3 cylinder engines. That aside, the engine felt refined and the sound was well muted, just like other Hyundai diesels. The engine starter sound reminded me of the erstwhile 3-cylinder mill from the Accent CRDi. The engine seemed familiar in its note, but not in intensity.

Hyundai claims they have tuned this motor for economy and driveability. This is made evident within the first kilometer of the drive itself. The engine starts pulling well from low down in the RPM range. There is no annoying turbo-lag and torque delivery is linear. By the time the engine crosses 1,500 RPM, it's already started pulling well. Torque gradually becomes stronger, albeit there is no sudden surge at 2,000 RPM (like some other Hyundai diesels). This isn't a bad thing and the car will be easy to drive around in traffic. The mid-range is where all the fun is. It is the strongest part of the rev range. Move beyond the 3,500 RPM mark however, and the engine starts to lose its punch. There is no point revving the engine to 4,000 RPM or beyond. The diesel start feeling crude at high RPMs, even though the noise levels stay within acceptable limits. At 100 km/h in 5th gear, the engine is revving at ~2,500 RPM.

The 3 cylinder engine employs shorter gearing. The choice of ratios is well matched to the power delivery. This engine is best suited to city traffic usage where the car stays at low revs most of the time. Out on the open road, there is a decent amount of grunt in the mid-range. On the other hand, the motor's weakness will be highlighted during fast overtaking maneuvers, where the top end is going to disappoint.

The gearshift action is smooth with a sure slotting click. The throw is on the longer side though, and the gearbox doesn't like rapid shifts either.

The suspension setup is similar to the i10 with McPherson struts at the front and a twist beam setup at the rear. Hyundai claims they have transformed the ride and handling nature of the i10. Unfortunately, our drive was on smooth tarmac. Hence, I couldn't derive any definitive conclusion on what the changes have actually resulted in. I can tell you this: On well paved roads, the characteristic Hyundai long-wave bounce and pogo stick feel (at the rear) was missing. Before driving the Grand i10, I was driven around in an i20...it had that uncomfortable rear movement on the same road. Even in an Elantra, I could feel the same vertical (bobbing) motion. Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope that Hyundai has done something good on the ride and handling front. Our full official review (coming up next month) will share definitive details.

Stability at speed seemed better than the i10. At speeds above 100 km/h, the car felt more planted. The steering has gained some weight, a good thing IMHO. The earlier steering systems from Hyundai felt over-servo'd (i.e. too much assistance). Although, even with some added weight over the current i10's steering, it remains light on an absolute scale. Hyundai hasn't done much about feel and feedback, the steering feels disconnected and there is a huge amount of vagueness around the center position. Expectedly, this steering is in tune with the tastes of the mass market and not enthusiasts.

While ABS will be standard on the top variants, rear disc brakes are not available on any variant. You'll see small drums at the rear instead. The brakes are well calibrated and stopping power is sufficient. We recommend an upsize of the puny 165 section tyres right after delivery.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th August 2013 at 16:09.
.anshuman is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 03:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Other Points:

• This car is set to be globally unveiled next month at the Frankfurt Auto Show (10th September, 2013).

• The Grand i10 was primarily developed at Hyundai's R&D center in Germany, but HMIL was involved in the development of this product too. Teams from Hyderabad and Chennai were engaged throughout the development process. Not surprising as India is one of the most important markets for this car.

• We were requested not to click pictures of the Grand i10's interiors, despite them being camouflaged. We were also shown the un-camouflaged car very briefly, but no pictures allowed.

• The top variant is likely to get a true keyless entry & start system.

• Interesting that Hyundai went with the "Grand i10" name, since Maruti already has the Grand Vitara in their stable (not to mention Tata with the Sumo Grande and earlier Indigo XL Grand).

• Hyundai has the option to add a boot to the Grand i10 - Dzire style - resulting in a sub-4 meter sedan with an XL sized boot.

• BHPians had spotted several test-mules of the "project BA", originally thought to be badged as the i15 or the i10 Brilliant. Link.

• The car we got to drive was from a pre-production batch, so there is a possibility of minor changes in the launch car.

• Just yesterday, BHPian asethi spotted this less-disguised Grand i10 on its way to a showroom in Bangalore:
Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-reviewwp_20130806_004-copy.jpg

Disclaimer : Hyundai invited Team-BHP for the Grand i10 preview and drive. They covered all the expenses for this driving event.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th August 2013 at 16:15.
.anshuman is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 04:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Preview & Drive

Excellent preview there, .anushman. Did HMIL suggest any prices, it is definitely going to be in between i10 and i20 as the car is positioned there. Just wondering if it is going to be closer to the i10 or the i20. Also, what are the additional gizmos on the i10 grand? Automatic headlamps, wipers etc... as in the i20?
Old 7th August 2013, 04:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow,this was un expected,with a frugal diesel motor under its hood,this is what Hyundai needed.
If priced right,it has the potential to set sales charts on fire.
Old 7th August 2013, 04:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review. If hyundai manages to deliver a fuel efficient diesel motor they sure have a winner on their hands. Hoping they don't over kill the price.

Also what other features it had or missing compared to say i20 Asta? Boot space?

Regards,
Old 7th August 2013, 05:53   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the review Anshuman. Quiet a detailed one considering the stage and manner in which it is done. Serves the purpose for the moment fully I believe.
Disappointed that the Diesel does not get an Autobox, but hope the petrol will be more fun than the existing i10 auto. Hyundai sure is going all guns out for the Indian market.
Old 7th August 2013, 06:25   #9
BHPian

Here are the images of unwrapped Hyundai i10 Grand. The front looks nice but the rear design is not that interesting (to me at least).

Source:- Autocar UK
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-hyundai-i10-grand-1.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-hyundai-i10-grand-2.jpg  

Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-hyundai-i10-grand-3.jpg  

Last edited by MaxTorque : 7th August 2013 at 06:28. Reason: Edited Source
MaxTorque is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 06:37   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the review Anshuman.

Finally Hyundai i10 with Diesel.

I am hoping it will be priced between current i10 and i20 and be direct competition to Maruti Swift. Only if they had increased the width a little more to accommodate 3 people - that would have taken one selling point of i20. Good that at high speeds the steering felt little heavy.

From the pictures posted by MaxTorque, both front and rear look good to me.
Old 7th August 2013, 06:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Here are the images of unwrapped Hyundai i10 Grand. The front looks nice but the rear design is not that interesting (to me at least).

Source:- Autocar UK
Thanks for the pics MT. I think the new treatment of the rear is bringing in more 'roundness' to the overall shape. One segment of customer will definitely like the movement from the relatively 'flat' rear design earlier to the more rounded one in the new form. IMHO this is bringing in the i10 design more in line with the series i.e. i20, i30.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Grand i10 Preview-i10_r.jpg  

yogibear007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2013, 06:50   #12
BHPian

Thanks for the preview Anshuman!

The new i10 with diesel seems to be almost a sure hit considering how the petrol-only version has been selling so well.

The name is a bit unimaginative though. I would have preferred i15 or just i10, and calling the older car the i10 Classic or something.
Old 7th August 2013, 07:36   #13
BHPian

Is this going to be the next game changer after amaze and ecosport? The diesel certainly looks promising. However I wish they had done more to differentiate the looks from current i10. May be the pictures are not enough but it needs a side by side comparison with the current gen i10

Wonder what this will do to the falling sales of swift?

Interesting times ahead!
Old 7th August 2013, 07:39   #14
BHPian

Front is a steal from Ford Ecosport and the rear from A-Star ?
lets see how TBHP reacts to this new platform but not so different in looks and name [remember Safari and Storme ?]

Prem.
Old 7th August 2013, 07:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice preview!! I wish you guys were allowed to take some pics of the actual car. This could add some competition to Swift which looks handsome but old, a bit like Tom Cruise.

Hyundai is definitely making the right moves in terms of expanding its portfolio. From the days of Santro & Getz, they now have Eon, i10, i10 Grand, i20 before it moves on to Sedans. I would definitely look at their petrol auto for my wife. They seemed to have the suspension ok as compared to i20 which is a plus. What beats me is how car after car they seem to go on with this:
Quote:
Hyundai hasn't done much about feel and feedback, the steering feels disconnected and there is a huge amount of vagueness around the center position. Expectedly, this steering is in tune with the tastes of the mass market and not enthusiasts.
And then only if they were to start making cars that get close to Maruti vehicles in terms of actual FE. With the same engine as i20, this one is not going to change much of that. Not sure how much more less efficient would the auto be over manual.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks