Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2013, 18:12   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai targets to overtake Maruti in "Compact Car" segments

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
We, as Indians don't like recurring expenses on products in form of maintenance and upkeep. The low cost of ownership of Maruti is miles ahead of the higher upkeep costs of Hyundai.

I don't know why Hyundai is lacking in this area, even after about 15 years of its existence in India. By now, most of the production would have been localised including the spares, which should have brought the costs down. This is an area where Hyundai is missing the mark, apart from the deep reach as MS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Completely agree.Hyundai must work on reducing the maitenance cost before take over Maruthi - infact this should be tgheir top priority at this point.

People who buy premium to mid range cars may bother much about the maitenance cost and most likely it will be afforable for them . But when this happens to a person who just managed to buy an entry level car, the negative publicity which the company gets will be more widespread and fierce.
Well, guys, if these threads are to go by, I don't think Maruti is all that cheap to maintain now, is it?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...expensive.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ers-okhla.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...000-km-11.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...p-myth-14.html

One advantage with Maruti though, is the spares are available over the couter so you have the option of swtiching to FNGs, not sure how Hyundai works here.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 10:49   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai targets to overtake Maruti in "Compact Car" segments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Well, guys, if these threads are to go by, I don't think Maruti is all that cheap to maintain now, is it?
Yup Dry Ice, like all things along side, the cost of Maruti ownership has also increased. I think more than the cost of spares, the labour cost has increased over the last few years.
On one hand it has increased, but I am sure that still it is the most inexpensive brand to maintain when compared to others. I own a MS since last 11 years and apart from one major accidental repair, its absolutely inexpensive to maintain even today. Would you believe that a total front suspension overhaul (included a lower arm replacement but no shock absorber change) + steering job (all joints replaced) costed me less than 5K about 1-1.5 years ago?
What is important to note that many service centres do not bill the jobs on a comparable basis. I don't know why it happens but one MASS in my city charges Rs. 670/- as service cost for Zen while the other charges Rs. 825/- for the same job. Also many times service centres push for useless jobs like engine flushing, interior cleaning, teflon etc. which pushes the bill northwards like anything; things which we should refuse them politely but firmly. This can add substantially to the cost of ownership.

I think the key is to know what your car needs at the point of the time of service than letting the SA do his antics. Hence, I keep a proper record of when the engine oil, brake fluids, coolant, spark plugs etc. will need a change or a throttle body, engine decarb, injector cleaning etc are needed and demand just that at the service centre. The routine checks like engine timing, rev. check, spark plug cleaning & re-gapping etc. etc are included in the service cost itself. This way, the cost is always under check and you are less likely to be duped.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 16th August 2013 at 10:54.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed