Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2013, 11:41   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

The YL1 looks good. From the pictures posted, the quality of materials used inside is commendable.

Hope it gets a bigger Diesel engine and the launch is not very far off.

Forgot to add. This is an awesome scoop! Thanks for sharing with us .anshuman.

Last edited by deetjohn : 24th August 2013 at 11:44. Reason: Adding text.
Old 24th August 2013, 15:14   #182

Amazin scoop !!! Cheeres to Little birdie.............A few view points

1. The current SX4 looks muscular and heavy than this one. Also the rear end is more softened.
2. The Beige interior is a serious NO - GO. Makers are obsessed with this color which has a prominent dulling effect on the interior. And the floor carpet too is in beige which adds to the disaster.
3. The grille could have been taken away from Kizashi instead which is more dense and gives a better feel to it.
Old 24th August 2013, 16:16   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Rear seat legroom. For more details check post#7 on page#1.

I may be wrong here but even though the leg room looks good ,the under thigh support looks inadequate atleast in this pic . The seat bench is looking smaller.
I personally would not like if the under thigh support is being compromised to liberate more leg room.
Old 24th August 2013, 16:29   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Excellent scoop. It should be a lot cheaper to build compared to the SX4 which sits on its own unique platform. Plus the SX4 looked bulky and bloated to me.

I have a feeling it will be a stretched back seat like the Sunny.
MPOWER , but knowing Maruti , iaaume they are going to price it in the range of VENTO- Fluidic Verna range (not between i20- Verna range).
How i wish Maruti proves me wrong here.
Old 25th August 2013, 09:19   #185
Senior - BHPian

This is a good move I think to replace the SX4. However I fear it may end up being too little too late. What bothers me most is the poor choice of engines. The 1.4 petrol may be adequate for Ertiga but what people look for in a Sedan is increased performance. This car is just 10% more powerful than the swift.
It may be fine if they price it really aggressively else anywhere close to city levels it may end up as another SX4. Same thing about the multijet. It is a good engine no doubt, but this segment begs for a bigger engine. How else do you plan to take on the Vento/rapid and Verna? What new USP does it have vis-a-vis these cars?
Maruti doesn't have a bigger diesel yet in India, but I really hope they atleast provide a bigger petrol engine as an option. Else it would be a waste of what looks like a promising product at this point.

Last edited by vibbs : 25th August 2013 at 09:20.
Old 25th August 2013, 09:35   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
This is a good move I think to replace the SX4. However I fear it may end up being too little too late. What bothers me most is the poor choice of engines. The 1.4 petrol may be adequate for Ertiga but what people look for in a Sedan is increased performance. This car is just 10% more powerful than the swift
I don't think most sedan buyers of this segment look for performance. 80% would still prefer Maruti reliability(over the Germans) and good mileage(kitna deti hai mindset).

The SX4 when launched wasn't bad performance wise in it's segment but a lot of people used to crib about it's low mileage.
Old 25th August 2013, 12:35   #187
Senior - BHPian

Well whether 80% people would be happy with it or not is something only time will tell. See it's not just the Germans, but the super reliable Honda and Hyundai (which is atleast as reliable if not more) that maruti has to contend with here. When SX4 was launched it was let down by the mileage and was outdone by the city since it had the Honda badge, good mileage and an equally powerful engine. The next generation city would be a step above and with the diesel also to come, maruti will have a tough time with these engines unless they undercut the city on price front.
Vernas 1.6 is better than tdi of vento and rapid. Can the multijet even claim to come close to these? Honda would be benchmarking these cars when it rolls out diesel city. We can be rest assured that the multijet even in 90 hp trim would be out of its league here.
Old 25th August 2013, 14:23   #188
BHPian

I completely agree with what you've said. I was more or less talking about the petrol engine option.
With the petrol sales not much(though the trend might have changed slightly, still a long way to go) Maruti may not have much problem with the 1.4 engine if they price it right.
The new city definitely would give a very tough competition when ever its launched. Although i feel it would be priced slightly more than the maruti sedan.
midazolam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 23:19   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Vernas 1.6 is better than tdi of vento and rapid. Can the multijet even claim to come close to these? Honda would be benchmarking these cars when it rolls out diesel city. We can be rest assured that the multijet even in 90 hp trim would be out of its league here.

definetly needed a 1.6 MJD to compete with the segment and 1.3 may not hold good but again it depends on the package. A good example is the Ertiga which sells with a 1.3 MJD and still sells well.

Verna's 1.6 comparsion of TDI of Vento/Rapid, i feel you need to drive both to see which is better.I guess many on the forum would stand by and agree there is no match currently to vento /rapid tdi.

It is a rocket is simple terms.

The only areas i think where the verna would score over the TDI twins is in the NVH characteristics

Please watch the video , please keep a watch at the 5th minute 10 seconds.

sandeep3in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 23:39   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post

definetly needed a 1.6 MJD to compete with the segment and 1.3 may not hold good but again it depends on the package. A good example is the Ertiga which sells with a 1.3 MJD and still sells well.

Verna's 1.6 comparsion of TDI of Vento/Rapid, i feel you need to drive both to see which is better.I guess many on the forum would stand by and agree there is no match currently to vento /rapid tdi.

It is a rocket is simple terms.
My idea was not to compare Verna with the tdi. Tdi may perform better but when one brings in refinement into picture many side with the Verna ofcourse to be let down by the handling. However as I said intention was not to compare these two among themselves but to compare it with the mjd.
Ertiga manages to do with the mjd as there is no other offering which gives you same practicality. However what new will a sedan with the same engine provide when the competition has moved quite ahead I am not sure?

Last edited by Eddy : 26th August 2013 at 23:41. Reason: Quoting a video hampers readability for our mobile users.
Old 2nd September 2013, 17:21   #191
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai have unveiled ay the Chengdu Motor Show, the production version of Mistra, a car that it has developed in JV with Beijing Hyundai Motor Company. Refer IAB report here:

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/09/hyundai-mistra-94131

However, what caught my eye was the similarity it bears to the Maruti-Suzuki YL1, though at 4,710mm in length, 1,820mm in width & 1,470mm in height with a wheelbase spanning 2,770mm length the Hyundai will surely be much bigger than the Maruti-Suzuki version.
Old 3rd September 2013, 11:55   #192
BHPian

From the pics and the specs this has the potential to become the Best-Seller in the C1 segment. It looks very good on paper even with the relatively-small 1.3 DDIS engine and should be a hoot to drive like Swift/Dezire. The interior part quality is previously unseen (read premium) in a Maruti product, but therein lies the caveat; will the premium-ness of the interiors remain so when this goes into production in India? These are pics from a Japanese-made car in Japan. So often we have seen that the indigenous production leads to two grades lower part quality. I hope that this doesn't turn out to be the
case with the YL1. I also wish that Maruti keep the NVH down by not resorting to cheap practices like using thinner window glasses etc as they did with the new Swift. Assuming these apprehensions are taken are of, this definitely looks like the best Sedan produced by the company in India.
Old 3rd September 2013, 13:55   #193
BHPian

Shouldn't Maruti be launching something in the C2 segment rather than C1? I don't understand the point in launching a petrol which is lower powered than SX4, and then pricing it in the Vento range. Let it be only 1.3 Multijet then. I feel, and I have mentioned this before, Maruti has had enough sales and revenues from India, and should now concentrate in at least one really good mid size saloon, both on Petrol and Diesel variants. Being the top automaker in India for so many years, is it so hard to cater to a niche group, even if the sales charts are not set on fire?

The same Maruti gave us the Baleno, an excellent product for those times, which people hardly want to sell even today. It did not really set the charts on fire, but people still swear by that product. I would even be happy to have a 100 BHP+ Swift Sport - it that so difficult to do?!

Instead, what do we get? Wagon R Stingray!!! Stingray, I say!!!!!

Last edited by Tats07 : 3rd September 2013 at 13:59.
Tats07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2013, 14:56   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Shouldn't Maruti be launching something in the C2 segment rather than C1? I don't understand the point in launching a petrol which is lower powered than SX4, and then pricing it in the Vento range.
The 1.4 Petrol of the Ertiga that the YL1 is slated to get, is more refined and overall a better engine than the 1.6 of the SX4. I have a feeling that Maruti will price it lower than the Vento range. I think they may be banking on the overall refinement, quality and dynamics of the car to make it a success rather than purely engine cubic capacity. And on top of that, the superior reliability, affordability and maintainability of Maruti viz-a-viz VW is well known.
Old 3rd September 2013, 15:18   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
The 1.4 Petrol of the Ertiga that the YL1 is slated to get, is more refined and overall a better engine than the 1.6 of the SX4. I have a feeling that Maruti will price it lower than the Vento range. I think they may be banking on the overall refinement, quality and dynamics of the car to make it a success rather than purely engine cubic capacity. And on top of that, the superior reliability, affordability and maintainability of Maruti viz-a-viz VW is well known.
Agree with you mate. Only, the point that I was trying to make is that it's time Maruti steps up their game a bit in the enthusiast community. They are the leaders, if not them, then who? A 94 horse refined petrol with good dynamics is great to have, but may not be adequate for a small group of people who like their BHP and NM.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks