Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 08:50   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

A very wishful thinking!

The new SX4 S-Cross in the UK got the 1.6L DDiS. It is the same 120 BHP 1.6L MJD which makes a whopping 320Nm @ 1750 rpm coupled with a 6 speed MT we all been waiting for Fiat to put in the Linea.

So, lets wait for the YL1 to be launched here. One never knows which Diesel we might get.

Here are the specs. http://www.suzuki.co.uk/cars/microsi...SX4_SCROSS.pdf

This engine can do wonders in the Ertiga and XA Alpha as well.
Old 10th January 2014, 09:24   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Agree that 1.6D will be a game changer. However the chances of Maruti getting 1.6 engine was debated at length for years before SX4 Diesel was launched (some 3 years back).
With no concrete news of 1.6 coming to India in a Maruti as of now I guess it still remains a wishful thinking. I guess the chance of that happening will only be after Fiat comes with that engine, but then also Maruti will have to take some time for testing and integration of the engine on YL1 platform.
Old 10th January 2014, 09:33   #258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As others have commented Maruti needs to look beyond 1.3. Because in 2014 when this car releases; Fiat will have 1.6 MJD Linea, VW/Skoda will have 1.5 TDI and so will others. This can be a serious downer for Maruti in the C-segment sedan category.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
After the City launch, the design of the YL1 is already beginning to look outdated. Honda and Hyundai have realised that in this segment you need presence and even if a car is 10L it should look like more.

With 1.3L 90HP diesel and 1.4L 94HP petrol, the YL1 is already on the backfoot compared to Hyundai, Honda and VW. Maruti has it's work cut out.
Quoting myself. Exactly same thoughts I had posted some time back. YL1 is not about budget. It would compete against City/Verna and the likes. 1.3 would fall flat in there. And with Linea coming in with the 1.6 MJD, its more difficult for Maruti at the C-Segment premium level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Even VFM for YL1 will be very tricky because of the Dzire. If they aim for lower segment like Sunny, Etios then YL1 will hit the Dzire also. That's why I said Maruti has their work cut out.
If they price it in the 9/10L range then the target competition would be Dzire/Amaze, which I think they dont intend to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
A very wishful thinking!

The new SX4 S-Cross in the UK got the 1.6L DDiS. It is the same 120 BHP 1.6L MJD which makes a whopping 320Nm @ 1750 rpm coupled with a 6 speed MT we all been waiting for Fiat to put in the Linea.

So, lets wait for the YL1 to be launched here. One never knows which Diesel we might get.

Here are the specs. http://www.suzuki.co.uk/cars/microsi...SX4_SCROSS.pdf

This engine can do wonders in the Ertiga and XA Alpha as well.
1.6 MJD is difficult, although truly its wishful. XA-Alpha would come with 1.3 Only as per what I read. Its the S-Cross, which has 1.6 DDIS. Not sure, if they plan to get this to India, although they have been issuing statements about the same. As regards to 1.6 on YL1, again wishful. See my comments earlier. With the new City Maruti will already have it's one leg cut if it even thinks 1.3 and wants to plant the YL1 on the C-segment.

Last edited by ampere : 10th January 2014 at 09:36.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:10   #259
BHPian

Maruti has now become the last to join this race and there is a great chance that the new sedan will again not be able to pic up the momentum which they were expecting from it.

However, aggressive pricing, cheap spares and their existing after sales and service network can really help them to gain the ground which they would have lost even before the launch.

To keep the interest in brand SX4 alive they could have well thought of bringing SX4 cross. This was required more than the Stingray as this would have helped them compete and generate good numbers.
Old 10th January 2014, 11:16   #260
Senior - BHPian

Instead of fighting here, i would like to wait & see how it goes in real world. Because real world never works in theoretical way but it goes practical way. So everybody is saying that it won't stand in the market against the likes of City, Verna, Vento, Rapid etc. Okay. Maruti has its own way of working & surely they are successful in it. When Amaze launched with Diesel, lots of people said Dzire is finished now. But things are looking quite different in real market. I guess even Honda is amazed to see falling sales of Amaze. When cars like i20, Figo, Polo launched, people said Swift is gone now. But Swift is still there & laughing at others. So i will save my words till next few months. We should discuss this after 3 months after YL1 is launched. Let market decide
aniketi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 14:19   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Exactly. I dont understand why people disregard the same engine in multiple cars in the maruti stable. The Logan taxi and the Renault Fluence share the same motor. The 6L liva and the 15L Corolla share the same engine.

I agree that it may not be a hoot to drive. But reliability wise, all are proven engines.

How many people bashed ertiga before launch claiming it was underpowered?

For an enthusiast, the car may not win hearts. But majority Indian customers aren't enthusiasts.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 14:49   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
For an enthusiast, the car may not win hearts. But majority Indian customers aren't enthusiasts.
Very true. But the idea is not to bash Maruti. The only point I wanted to make was if Maruti tries to play in the premium segment (Honda/Vento/Verna pricing), the engine spec would be a differentiator. And if they undercut the C-segment, then they have a tricky job to price it bang in between C-segment and Amaze. Thats the only point. Surely it would be a good product. It just needs to be seen where it plays its game. As you said only time will tell.

Last edited by ampere : 10th January 2014 at 14:53.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 15:09   #263
Senior - BHPian

^^ I was just checking Maruti Swift Dzire prices. DZire Lxi costs 5.03 L ex showroom in Delhi !!! That means Maruti has lot of room for pricing. They can launch YL1 Lxi at say 6.25 - 6.5 L ex showroom. That will make it well below other competitors and on road will be even more less. From spy pics it also looks its a quite spacious car. It will be perfect & within budget for people.

When people are criticizing Multijet engine, they are also forgetting that its a very refined engine & very peppy to drive. Its air conditioning is way better than Vento & Rapid, this i am telling by my own experience. On highway its one of the best engines i have driven. NVH levels are better here than Vento, Honda, Rapid, Figo etc. In car you don't feel like you are sitting in diesel car, which is felt in Vento at least which my friend own. Also fuel economy figures thrown by Honda (26 KMPL) is just a marketing gimmick & are in ideal conditions, not in real world. In market almost all gives similar average like 15-17 in city & 20-22 on highways, +/- 5% is absolutely ok with all people. Also being common engine means, you get plenty options for repairs, spares & A.S.S. job everywhere.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 15:17   #264
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately for Maruti, this is a segment where Snob rules. And Maruti doesn't have that. Corolla can make do with a 1.5 l engine because of the Badge, so can Honda. But for a Maruti in a segment which in India is considered premium, the badge may be a hinderance. Swift is in a segment where the buyer will be focusing more on the costs part. However a customer in India who is willing to pay 10 lakhs upwards, will be looking for something special. He wont mind spending a little extra, if he is getting that bit more. I am not saying that Maruti won't crack it, just that it may already be on a backfoot.

Ertiga effectively didn't have a competition. It won't be same for YL1 who has to contend with existing heavy weights.

Of course all this is speculation and we will find out only when it is indeed launched. But then that is the fun in discussion, isn't it?

I am almost a Maruti fan because of my swift. Believe me I will be happy if I am proven wrong on the YL1.

Edit: 6.25-6.5 lakhs would be a coup. I don't think they will price it that low. It is touted to be SX4 replacement. I would rather be looking at a price of above 7 lakhs for the base variant.

Last edited by vibbs : 10th January 2014 at 15:26.
Old 10th January 2014, 15:27   #265
BHPian

I couldn't agree with the Honda gimmick of a 26 KMPL for IDTEC city, at that price point i expect some power than mileage .

Mileage is an added advantage on top of power.

Think about this way , if you planning for a 15-20 lakh segment vehicle , do you really look into the mileage it would offer ?

My expectation from the IDTEC was a peppy engine and good highway cruising.

For Maruti YL1 , they need to consider atleast 1.6 MJD to stay in competition .
sandeep3in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 20:58   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

YL1 is speculated to be called 'Ciaz'

Source:IAB

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th January 2014 at 20:59.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 12:56   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Coming close to launch and still no fresh spy pics? We had the ertiga revealed almost completely before launch
Old 18th January 2014, 22:27   #268
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
YL1 is speculated to be called 'Ciaz'

Source:IAB
'Suzuki Ciaz' has a good flow to say, imo. I remember the Suzuki bike named 'Seuz'.
Old 19th January 2014, 11:01   #269
BHPian

When is the launch going to happen? are the dates confirmed or still rumours? I guess City and this Maruti car should bring in some required competition in this sedan segment. Just hoping this car is launched with an Automatic variant without an atrocious price tag.
Old 19th January 2014, 12:12   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Unfortunately for Maruti, this is a segment where Snob rules. And Maruti doesn't have that. Corolla can make do with a 1.5 l engine because of the Badge, so can Honda. But for a Maruti in a segment which in India is considered premium, the badge may be a hinderance.
I don't think this is a segment where snob rules. At least not anymore i think. This is now a segment where people look for the most from the brand they buy. People do have sufficient money and that reflects in the numbers the C-Segment sedans do today.

Maruti couldn't crack it cause all its efforts were extremely halfhearted and / or half-baked. Even today, Maruti is a brand that will pull people into the showrooms sufficiently to hurt Hyundai or Honda but it definitely needs to meet the basic expectations people today have from C-Segment cars. But they just don't seem to have invested enough in their sedan portfolio above the Dzire segment ever! They are definitely late to the party with all other manufacturers having given 3rd or 4th generations of their sedans. But i hope that if they can't really differentiate themselves much from the crowd, they stand true to the brand they are and the YL1 turns out to be - frugal, well priced, spacious & decently equipped car.

Even Honda suffered in spite of their badge and ultimately had to really fix things in the City for it to really rack up the numbers it did now. And the Corolla doesn't sell anymore i guess. Just not in the league of what Verna or City do. Again, the badge couldn't save a simply outdated, stop-gap arrangement for a car.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 19th January 2014 at 12:15.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks