Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 10:57   #766
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

The new City has acres of legroom. Even 6 footers sitting back to back won't have any problem whatsoever. So, I doubt how much more the Ciaz can offer. And even if it offers a bit more, is it going to swing customers its way because of that? I don't think so.

People need to understand that it's not so easy to dislodge a car which has been the market leader for so many years. For people looking at a 10L Rs car, City is the de facto choice and the new one is well equipped with very capable engines. The Ciaz is going to come with a engine which is less powerful and less efficient and it doesn't seem to be offering any features which is way above the City. The only trumpcard Maruti has is the price. If it's close to City, Ciaz will flop. It needs to be a good 70K-1L less than the City to make a significant impact. Even then, it will not be easy to dislodge the City from the top spot but the numbers game will become interesting for sure.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 11:22   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Even i own a swift DDiS first gen car and can make it out what you are talking about specially the 2000 + RPM.
No offence but have you really tried Rapid, Vento or Fiesta specially their 3rd gear pull? Suzuki cars cant match the performance of those cars and trust me just give a try once, you'll feel that DDiS is nothing but just one tractor engine(I call it my car a Tractor). I have done a mistake once and not going to repeat the same even by thinking of Maruti cars.
If you are saying DDiS as a tractor engine, then i don't want to comment. I don't want to start a debate here.

I have tried VW Vento which is same as Rapid. Before starting the drive itself i can hear that it sounds like Tractor from outside when started. It is little better than DDiS in pickup but nothing like great or wow or stunning over DDiS. I tried 3 different Vento's owned by friends, all has AC problems. It takes loooong time to cool the cabin, feels like you are sitting in Alto. My Dzire is way better here, cools quickly enough. New Fiesta i have not tried, but older one (classic) was just about ok when i tried. Nothing great at all.
aniketi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 11:31   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Dezire and Amaze even if priced equally would result in Dezire rocking the sales. The same applies for Brio & Celerio. So can't really see your logic. The product should be good, comparative and from same segment. Then MUL has the brand value in India to pull perspective buyers. Ppl are educated enough to know that a Ciaz is different then a 800.
That's exactly the point but then both Dzire and Celerio operate at a different segment targeting different customers.

I had earlier mentioned in one of my posts within this thread itself is that people do not care a lot about intricacies of a car as long as it is reliable, trendy, low on maintenance and fuel efficient.

That logic holds true across most segments and if Ciaz is able to deliver these values at a better price, City should be worried.
Old 28th August 2014, 11:36   #769
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
That logic holds true across most segments and if Ciaz is able to deliver these values at a better price, City should be worried.
The Ciaz should get the City in grips but I don't think it can dethrone it from No.1 position unless priced very strategically along with the features to back it up.

Only time will tell what will happen to what car.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 11:42   #770
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even i own a swift DDiS first gen car and can make it out what you are talking about specially the 2000 + RPM.
No offence but have you really tried Rapid, Vento or Fiesta specially their 3rd gear pull? Suzuki cars cant match the performance of those cars and trust me just give a try once, you'll feel that DDiS is nothing but just one tractor engine(I call it my car a Tractor). I have done a mistake once and not going to repeat the same even by thinking of Maruti cars.
Tractor?

Sounds like there is something wrong with your car mate, rather than an engine characteristic in itself. 1.3 MJD still remains one of the more refined engines in its class, specially in MS cars!
Old 28th August 2014, 11:46   #771
Senior - BHPian

The defacto choice for anyone upgrading to this segment is the City or the Verna, followed by other options. Both these cars offer more in terms of engine options and brand value than the Ciaz.

Someone upgrading from a 1.3MJD powered car to a Ciaz class vehicle may prefer to have a different power train in his new luxury sedan. I would if i was looking for a vehicle in this segment. I hope that Maruti introduces a 1.6 diesel down the line for the Ciaz be it the FordPug 1.6 or the Fiat 1.6.

With the current engine options the Ciaz has to to be priced very very competitively.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 12:01   #772
Senior - BHPian

I can't see Ciaz dethroning City from no.1 position.
Reasons IMO with no offense to anyone-
1.- It's not offering any ground breaking features and City itself is quite loaded.
2.- The 1.3 engine would not be a match for 1.5 from City.
3.- No matter how much good brand image Maruti has it can't match the premium brand image Toyota and Honda have created in the last decade. Here Maruti is a bit unfortunate. They are no.1 manufacturer because of their small cars and people have the mentality Maruti cars are cheap to buy and maintain which will go against in C+ segment which looks for premiumness feel and brand image.
4.- The interior shots suggest good rear space which City provides as well so no bonus points for Ciaz.
5.- A.S.S of Maruti is highly regarded but so is Honda and Hyundai.
6.- No ARAI figures yet but i will be highly surprised if Ciaz can beat City's figures of 26 kmpl.

I believe if it undercuts in price by at least 1 lac then it can dethrone Verna from no.2 as Verna is getting old and till it gets a facelift next year Ciaz can topple it from that position.

What's good is the competition which will get tougher with the launch of Ciaz and we may expect better cars with better features in future launches. I am eagerly waiting to TD Ciaz. If its reasonably priced i am looking at it in petrol to replace my fathers Manza early next year.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 12:15   #773
Team-BHP Support

With all due respect to everyone, i think this City v/s Ciaz topic has been discussed to death now - and unless the car specifications are revealed - there is no point in arguing further over it!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 12:33   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
If you are saying DDiS as a tractor engine, then i don't want to comment. I don't want to start a debate here.

I have tried VW Vento which is same as Rapid. Before starting the drive itself i can hear that it sounds like Tractor from outside when started. It is little better than DDiS in pickup but nothing like great or wow or stunning over DDiS. I tried 3 different Vento's owned by friends, all has AC problems. It takes loooong time to cool the cabin, feels like you are sitting in Alto. My Dzire is way better here, cools quickly enough. New Fiesta i have not tried, but older one (classic) was just about ok when i tried. Nothing great at all.
While I agree that the VW Vento diesel sounds like a tractor from outside, there is H U G E difference in the pickup (both in-gear and outright) compared to a Swift. It's in a different league altogether in terms of performance. May be you can look at some of the numbers published by Autocar if would like an objective comparison.

I don't know about the AC issues. Obviously, Vento and VW/Skoda cars are far from perfect and they have reliability and A.S.S issues but talking strictly in terms of performance, it just blows away the DDIS.
Old 28th August 2014, 13:10   #775
BANNED

I should have put this in right way that is DDiS runs like tractor, sound yes German cars makes sound but inside cabin they are very quite for the obvious reason. And if we are talking about performance yes Rapid is any day better than any other diesel car in it's class.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 28th August 2014 at 13:11.
Old 28th August 2014, 15:32   #776
Team-BHP Support

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1, the SX4 replacement

Quote:
I should have put this in right way that is DDiS runs like tractor, sound yes German cars makes sound but inside cabin they are very quite for the obvious reason. And if we are talking about performance yes Rapid is any day better than any other diesel car in it's class.

Still not clear. You mean to say- Swift DDiS is slow? Or noisy?

And you might want to check the numbers before claiming Rapid diesel engine is the best. Verna is much faster and develops a lot more power. It's not another story that as a package - I would also chose Rapid over Verna any day.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 15:42   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

MSI 's first comment on Ciaz from their chairman,

Quote:
Maruti Suzuki India (MSI) will soon launch its mid-sized sedan Ciaz in order to replace the SX4.

"We are up to the level of Honda City. The car, which is next coming out Ciaz, is of the Honda City segment, that's it. That's our ceiling,"
http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...aruti/41086713
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 17:52   #778
BANNED

Quote:
No offence but have you really tried Rapid, Vento or Fiesta specially their 3rd gear pull? Suzuki cars cant match the performance of those cars and trust me just give a try once,
Quote:
And if we are talking about performance yes Rapid is any day better than any other diesel car in it's class.
Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-untitled.jpg

Can you see the small chart?

The Rapid/Vento is powerful and higher cubic capacity as compared to the Swift. Hence it feels faster. Compare cars in the same segment not a segment up! Not Fair.

Quote:
you'll feel that DDiS is nothing but just one tractor engine (I call it my car a Tractor).
Quote:
I should have put this in right way that is DDiS runs like tractor,
Lol, you made my day buddy. Tractor and DDiS engine?! I am not sure if that word gels with that engine in any way.

I'd say the 1.6L engine that does duty in the Rapid/Vento/Fabia sounds like tractor.

Anyway we are going . Lets get back buddy on Ciaz. Thanks!

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 28th August 2014 at 17:55.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 17:56   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
MSI 's first comment on Ciaz from their chairman,

http://auto.economictimes.indiatimes...aruti/41086713
Thanks buddy, but can anyone explain what in the world is meant by this statement?
Old 28th August 2014, 18:06   #780
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Thanks buddy, but can anyone explain what in the world is meant by this statement?
The Ciaz is their highest effort for that segment and they have reached the ceiling and can't go up further.

In short: "That's it! We cant do more!"

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks