Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2014, 23:54   #1291
BHPian

re: Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99

Cruise control is important for someone who does a lot of highway driving. You wont use it in city driving, at all!!!
Old 13th September 2014, 03:49   #1292
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Cruise control is important for someone who does a lot of highway driving. You wont use it in city driving, at all!!!
That is right, but seeing the conditions prevailing on our highways the cruise control will halt be active for long.

Anurag.
Old 13th September 2014, 11:40   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
That is right, but seeing the conditions prevailing on our highways the cruise control will halt be active for long.Anurag.
This is slightly

I was referring to the highway drives. In my 10,750 kms recorded on the 2014 City so far, the following were routes in South India where I could use them extremely effectively:
  • Bangalore-Coimbatore via Salem
  • Bangalore-Trichy again via Salem, Namakkal
  • Bangalore-Hassan

The driving strain was greatly reduced. And I found that if you switch on the cruise at a speed of 80 to 90 kmph, the braking is also less and the car can be on cruise for several kilometeres at a stretch and at these speeds the i-DTEC City easily meets and sometimes exceeds the rated ARAI Mileage even on my upsized 195/60R15 XM2s

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th September 2014 at 11:43.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 14:15   #1294
Senior - BHPian

Here is what is not good for the car.... to do the pre-launch so quickly followed by not launching the car for almost a month.

The hype dies down, people began to wander, too many discussions and that just effects the sales. Perfect example, Tata Nano. So before MUL decides to do a Nano with Ciaz here is hoping that they get the car in dealership by next week to get the excitement back even if they launch it by October 10th.

Or better still, hire me as their marketing manager
aseem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 15:01   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Here is what is not good for the car.... to do the pre-launch so quickly followed by not launching the car for almost a month.

The hype dies down, people began to wander, too many discussions and that just effects the sales. Perfect example, Tata Nano. So before MUL decides to do a Nano with Ciaz here is hoping that they get the car in dealership by next week to get the excitement back even if they launch it by October 10th.

Or better still, hire me as their marketing manager
+1 to that. They should have probably kept the First Navratra as the date of Launch as a lot of people prefer making investments, purchasing vehicles during that time.

The Hype definitely seems to be fading and they are missing out on potential customers.

The Gap between the media drives and the Launch is way too long; unless Maruti is working on the feedback received and tweaking the production models, which is highly unlikely
amit_2025 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 15:39   #1296
BHPian

Why is taking Maruti soo much time to launch a car. All the sales reps in Chennai dealers have gone for training this week at MGM beach resort. Anyone wants a glimpse of the car can head there.
Maruti wants to take this very slow so it does not miss something and be written off as a bad product. They cant afford that loss.

The head unit on the top end is unresponsive to touch, ill fitting leather seats and all the other niggles, hope they are sorted out before the launch and release.

Did Maruti not invite teambhp to test drive the car and review it. May be the usual exhaustive review of information takes time to process.

Hoping to see the car soon. Tempted to book before launch, but unlike other dealers ABT in Chennai they are charges for cancellation of booking.
Old 13th September 2014, 22:26   #1297
Senior - BHPian

So what's the launch date ? Do we have any idea on the top end diesel prices ?

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 14th September 2014, 08:23   #1298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
So what's the launch date ? Do we have any idea on the top end diesel prices ?

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
As per BIMAL MASS, the launch date is on October 5th, 2014.
Old 14th September 2014, 11:56   #1299
Senior - BHPian

I saw the Ciaz on road on Friday. My office is right next to the Maruti Gurgaon plant in Udyog Vihar and I used to see camo-ed Ciazs quite regularly over the last 6 months. Seeing one in person on the road, one thing struck me the most- its so PLAIN JANE!. there is nothing striking about the Ciaz and nothing that grabs your attention- I guess its aiming to be a jack of all trades- This may work with the masses, time will tell.

However, one look at the Ciaz, and i felt that this car has no "Soul". its an intangible, but its something that IMHO a car needs to have for me to connect with it.

OT- in the same vein, when i saw the Zest and sat in it, i had the same feeling- This car had no soul.....too mundane.

On the other hand, the Elite i20 instantly appealed to me, esp the diesel, which has a very involving drive. On similar lines, the Fiat Avventura seems to be a car with Soul and character (the weedy engine seems to be a dampener though)

Just my personal perceptions.

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 14th September 2014 at 12:07.
himanshugoswami is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 02:57   #1300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I saw the Ciaz on road on Friday. My office is right next to the Maruti Gurgaon plant in Udyog Vihar and I used to see camo-ed Ciazs quite regularly over the last 6 months. Seeing one in person on the road, one thing struck me the most- its so PLAIN JANE!. there is nothing striking about the Ciaz and nothing that grabs your attention- I guess its aiming to be a jack of all trades- This may work with the masses, time will tell.

However, one look at the Ciaz, and i felt that this car has no "Soul". its an intangible, but its something that IMHO a car needs to have for me to connect with it.

OT- in the same vein, when i saw the Zest and sat in it, i had the same feeling- This car had no soul.....too mundane.

On the other hand, the Elite i20 instantly appealed to me, esp the diesel, which has a very involving drive. On similar lines, the Fiat Avventura seems to be a car with Soul and character (the weedy engine seems to be a dampener though)

Just my personal perceptions.
Pretty premature i must say cause your opinion about the i20 is based on an actual drive, on the Zest based on sitting in it and on the Avventura & Ciaz based on looking at them? You might just be surprised once the car is actually available for a TD.

Like its being discussed, MSIL is leaving the gates wide open for people to form strong opinions already by not launching the car soon enough!
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 07:49   #1301
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
That is right, but seeing the conditions prevailing on our highways the cruise control will halt be active for long.
I would disagree. There are many many 4-lane long haul sections in India, which can put the cruise control to the best possible use.

Earlier even I used to have same views. But once having driven on these long hauls, I have changed my views. Cruise control would really help.
ampere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 13:11   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I would disagree. There are many many 4-lane long haul sections in India, which can put the cruise control to the best possible use.

Earlier even I used to have same views. But once having driven on these long hauls, I have changed my views. Cruise control would really help.
I dont disagree, however compared to the developed world it makes little or no sense in India for the mass market. I am sure not many people outside of TBHP even know what it is.

Having said that, Cruise Control, DSG should eventually become standard on cars as we really deserve this.
Old 15th September 2014, 13:36   #1303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I dont disagree, however compared to the developed world it makes little or no sense in India for the mass market. I am sure not many people outside of TBHP even know what it is.
Aseem, At least in the south N-S corridor, GQ etc, I see huge opportunities to involve cruise control as the infrastructure is available today. Some sections to speak about : Bangalore-Hyd, Bangalore-Salem-Kanyakumari, Salem-Coimbattore-KL, Bangalore-Chennai, Chennai-Trichy-Madurai (Apart from the other GQ trails), have long stretches with good visibility and low traffic. Ideal situations for cruise control.

I dont know how traffic situation changes in north. (I know for sure Agra-Delhi, you cant apply cruise control! . On the expressway yes )

Last edited by ampere : 15th September 2014 at 13:38.
Old 15th September 2014, 19:17   #1304
BHPian

Spotted 3 Heavily Camouflaged Ciaz's on the Mehrauli Gurgaon road today.

I hadn't thus far been able to form an opinion on whether I liked or disliked the looks of the car; however was certain that it would change once I saw the car physically.

The images probably do not do justice to the presence of this car. True its no head turner but then some of us prefer timeless, understated designs. It's a non offensive design with no experiments going bad (similar to the corners of existing City). It Looks Good and definitely looks and feels bigger than the City and Verna.

Also took a quick yet close look at the interiors in one of the cars where the driver had parked in the Service Lane to have Tea. Sorry, he didn't let me click any pictures (not that there aren't plenty available already).

The dashboard is well proportioned and the quality of plastics does not feel cheap. No offense meant to anyone but its much better than the plastics being used in the current city and looks better than the now dated interiors of the Verna. Very European.
Attached Thumbnails
Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-20140915_150335_resized.jpg  

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-20140915_150346_resized.jpg  

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-20140915_150352_resized.jpg  

Team-BHP SCOOP: Maruti Ciaz / YL1. Scoop Pics on Page 99-20140915_150354_resized.jpg  

amit_2025 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 19:56   #1305
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I know I am going against my own opinion that you quoted. To the fact that I miss that feature in my Swift.

My daily drive demands CC but sadly there's none that I can have in the hatchback from Maruti stable. Hope the Refreshed Swift gets it.

Anurag.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed