Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2013, 12:49   #76
BHPian

Re: Pics & Report: 2013 Skoda Octavia unveiled @ Mumbai

I'm expecting the starting price to be around 13 lacs ex-showroom for the base model. From what i hear in automotive circles is that Skoda is getting aggressive to gain its lost market share and reputation. The best way to bring the customers back is to entice them with attractive pricing.
Old 12th August 2013, 13:28   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

New 2013 Skoda Octavia first look video from ACI.

Old 12th August 2013, 15:40   #78
BHPian

In terms of looks, especially the front 3 quarter, and the first of the 3 promo pictures, it quite reminds of the previous generation Superb.
Old 12th August 2013, 15:52   #79
BHPian

The ACI review complains of that the older model's 'solidity' is absent…

What are the precise engine changes from the earlier 1.8 Tsi? Is it just a different tune or are there a host of incremental internal changes as well?
Old 12th August 2013, 16:46   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post

What are the precise engine changes from the earlier 1.8 Tsi? Is it just a different tune or are there a host of incremental internal changes as well?
I think what they are referring to is the much reported use of lighter (but stronger, I read) metal, resulting in a near 100kg weight reduction compared to the outgoing Laura. This is also true with the Euro model (Skoda isn't Hyundai), and we may rest assured that this wont compromise on what they call 'solidity'. We folks are used to referring Ambassador as a 'solid' car, you see!!
Old 12th August 2013, 17:11   #81
BHPian

The new Octavia will be another brilliant car, no doubt. But the < 1% market share of Skoda, ain't going anywhere. The VAG companies and its dealers have consistently failed in after-sales customer satisfaction. Who wants to spend Rs. 20 lakhs and be at their mercy?
Bomi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 17:23   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post

I remember when the Laura came out similar comments were going around, that the doors are not as heavy as the erstwhile Octavia's! To be honest its pretty well built and seems to handle whatever abuse you throw at it. The new Octavia apparently uses lighter and stronger materials, which has allowed it to shed some weight. Maybe that's the reason why at first people may miss the 'solidity' of the outgoing model.

AFAIK there are no major mechanical upgrades to the 1.8 TSI engine. More of a tuning update. Power is up from 160 bhp to 177 bhp, max torque of 250nm remains the same, though it is produced from a wider range to 1,250 rpm to 5,000 rpm as against the earlier engine's 1,500 rpm to 4,200 rpm. I can't imagine what it would be like to have peak torque coming in at 1,250 rpm!

The 1.8 TSI is a tuner's delight. Tuners like Pete's can up the max power of the existing 1.8 TSI from 160 to 200 bhp within minutes without any mechanical changes. Of course something coming from the manufacturer is always better as it is backed by lots of rigorous testing under various conditions.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 12th August 2013 at 17:24.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 17:36   #83
Senior - BHPian

Its a looker for sure!
A few things that spell new design (and possible platform sharing?) are, the gear lever is now typical VW lever. No longer does one see the fat gear lever, we've gone used to seeing on Skoda's.
The steering wheel is different, and dare i say, better looking!

@Parrys: Hows the horn? Typical Skoda horn, or the new single horn?

Have they eliminated the Aux port completly? Didnt notice one anywhere (under the armrest, or in the glove box). Or did i miss it?

Pricing is going to be key on this, but dont think its going to be substantially cheaper than the current gen Laura.

BTW, was that the topend (L&K) model displayed? The lower variants would obviously have a few of the bells and whistles missing.
Old 12th August 2013, 17:48   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

I remember when the Laura came out similar comments were going around, that the doors are not as heavy as the erstwhile Octavia's! To be honest its pretty well built and seems to handle whatever abuse you throw at it. The new Octavia apparently uses lighter and stronger materials, which has allowed it to shed some weight.
Well said. This is true for all new model releases - look at how much weight the new 3 series and the Range Rover have shed. Purists may moan but in these days of increasingly stringent emission norms, lighter - stronger - faster is the way to go.

[Quote = "Santoshbhat"] AFAIK there are no major mechanical upgrades to the 1.8 TSI engine. More of a tuning update. Power is up from 160 bhp to 177 bhp, max torque of 250nm remains the same, though it is produced from a wider range to 1,250 rpm to 5,000 rpm as against the earlier engine's 1,500 rpm to 4,200 rpm. I can't imagine what it would be like to have peak torque coming in at 1,250 rpm! [/quote]

The peak torque kicking in at 1250 is more important in my view than the peak power at 5000 rpm. I have probably hit even 4000 rpm less than a dozen times in my 3 + years with my Superb. But higher torque at 1250 rpm is something everyone will use everyday. I just hope that the DQ200 is able to sustain operating at peak torque for a much higher duty cycle.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2013, 18:18   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I just hope that the DQ200 is able to sustain operating at peak torque for a much higher duty cycle.
The box will be handling its maximum rated torque, almost from the moment you leave the clutch pedal. Scary thought indeed!
Old 12th August 2013, 18:26   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I remember when the Laura came out similar comments were going around, that the doors are not as heavy as the erstwhile Octavia's! To be honest its pretty well built and seems to handle whatever abuse you throw at it. The new Octavia apparently uses lighter and stronger materials, which has allowed it to shed some weight. Maybe that's the reason why at first people may miss the 'solidity' of the outgoing model.
Yes, the new materials may be as strong as the older ones and yet lighter.
But trust me, the original Octavia (Octavia 1) was much much better built that the current Laura (Octavia 2).

Of course, weight reduction is a very good thing, will improve the performance as well as FE. The key is to still preserve that tank like feeling. Hope they achieve that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post

The peak torque kicking in at 1250 is more important in my view than the peak power at 5000 rpm. I have probably hit even 4000 rpm less than a dozen times in my 3 + years with my Superb. But higher torque at 1250 rpm is something everyone will use everyday. I just hope that the DQ200 is able to sustain operating at peak torque for a much higher duty cycle.
Yes, peak torque from 1250 will be awesome. That minor lag in the first and second gear off stand-still may disappear with this, I hope. Of course DSG users might not have noticed it at all .

But as Santosh said, additional top end is always welcome. Mine is absolutely stock and I feel some dead spots in 4'th and 5'th gears (around 2800 to 3000 rpm I think, after which it again takes off). May be those have also vanished for good in Octavia 3?
Old 13th August 2013, 11:22   #87
BHPian

The USPs of the Octavia 1 and the two Laura versions were that they came in good economical diesels, were priced in the 11 to 17 lakhs bracket and the Tank like, heavy car feel which made them track straight and true at high 80 plus speeds and in windy conditions. The equivalant Honda city, Toyota Corolla or the bigger Hyundais could not match up to this.

Now in 2013 if the new Octavia 3 has lost its heavy car feel, the German trio are well entrenched in the luxury segment and with all the Japs and Koreans having diesel engine versions, the Octy 3 will not do as well as before. Also earlier Skoda diesels were the luxurious versions, whereas this time the petrol one seems to be having all the top end features. Petrol Skodas have NOT sold in numbers so far and will not sell in a 'Kitna detha' market like ours.
rxpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 11:25   #88
BHPian

Has anyone any idea about what all features are going to be available in India. Is things like auto park, adaptive cruise control going to be available?

Was the car on display an L&K. if the L&K too gets a bolero without GPS then it is really disappointing. GPS and a proper screen for reverse parking is basic. i hope they don't skimp on that. I have seen many international reviews and the columbus interface is supposed to be really nice. pity if it doesn't come here
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 11:55   #89
Senior - BHPian

Looks stunning.

Always loved Skoda cars. This is one brand that does not charge you over the top and the cars reek of quality. I would not bother looking hard for cheap bits in a Skoda. They do not exist. Their idea for a affordable quality car has been there from the early days. The attention to detail in design of a product is something few manufacturers even bother looking at and this is what make Skoda cars different. Well done Skoda and I hope this car takes you to the top.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 23:29   #90
BHPian

I have a 1 year old Laura and love the way it drives. But don't know whether I should have held to my older car for an year more as I could have purchased this beauty. No regrets though as I usually don't jump to buy the latest model. I wish to go for something which is stands the test of time and once the initial hype settles down. Hope this car will be good.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed