Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 22:02   #136
BHPian

re: Audi A3 sedan caught testing EDIT: Launched at INR 22.95 lakhs

I think the diesel base will be accepted well by the masses, that is if/as its not striped of all its major equipment like the BMW 1 series base. Besides, diesel is the current fuel of the country ain't it?

But one thing i dont understand, Audi thinks that only pure enthusiasts will go for the petrol! Now Brand image set aside, why would anyone go for this model when theres Skoda Octavia 1.8TSI which offers similar power and a gearbox as well, more space, more comfort, is also well equipped. Not to mention its almost a million bucks shy of the over the Audi and how can one forget that Skoda might just bring in the Vrs version anytime now.
Old 7th August 2014, 22:38   #137
BHPian

Good pricing for the base variant, but it will still cost atleast Rs. 26 lakhs on-road Delhi. And there are hardly any features.

It will be bought only for its snob value, no doubt. 'Premium plus' variant is well-loaded, but its pricing goes through the roof! Speaking of roofs, sunroof as optional even in the top variants is surprising!

And bad attempt there, Audi, at trying to exaggerate the safety features list. First-aid kit, warning triangle, toolkit and jack, LOL!
Old 8th August 2014, 05:58   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus View Post
And bad attempt there, Audi, at trying to exaggerate the safety features list. First-aid kit, warning triangle, toolkit and jack, LOL!
A weird list actually..where is ESP/TCS?? Is it standard across the range?
Old 8th August 2014, 07:18   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
A weird list actually..where is ESP/TCS?? Is it standard across the range?
Yes, the feature list looks to be put up in a hurry
ESC is mentioned in the brochure (screenshot below). Assume it to be standard across the range as there is no optional * mentioned.

Audi A3 sedan caught testing EDIT: Launched at INR 22.95 lakhs-img_1766-copy.jpg
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 09:00   #140

The prices do seem to be a tad on the higher side as compared to what is on offer, however Times of India claims that the car has already had more than a 1000 bookings already. So there is an initial demand for the car, let's see what figures gets actually converted in sales in the coming month.

To provide greater customer satisfaction Audi should have provided better features on the base and the mid variants to really make the car competitive in this segment. But i feel people will still buy it for the brand name just to flaunt that they have an Audi now
Old 8th August 2014, 09:21   #141
BHPian

Mods, Incorrect specs in the our TBhp front page news Item (I think)

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/audi-a3...a-rs-2295-lakh

This mentions Wheel-base as 2367mm whereas it should be 2637mm. Can you kindly confirm? Thanks.
Old 8th August 2014, 09:47   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

To all the people who are cribbing over the lack of features in the base variant : Audi has tasted success with that formula before with the Q3S edition of there Q3 car. At 25 lacs ex showroom roughly, it found a lot of buyers. And the car was seriously under equipped with no ACC, no electrically foldable ORVMs and manual transmission I think. People still bought it for the brand and I guess Audi expects the same with the A3 too.

It would be interesting to see how much internal cannibalization occurs between the A3 and A4.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 09:56   #143
BHPian

The best part is that safety features on A3 are standard across ALL variants. This includes 7 airbags! Excellent by Audi!

They could've easily kept only two airbags in the base variant to price it lower, but safety comes first!
Y@SH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 11:03   #144
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I am told that the A3 is going to launch with a starting price of 23.xx lakhs. If Audi can price it accordingly, it will definitely grab a good market share as customers of Octavia, Jetta, Elantra might just want to spend a little more and own an Audi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I wish that were true mate. I don't see it being priced at 23xx !!
I am expecting a price of 27.99xx and On Road price of 30+.
So it seems my source of info was pretty reliable.

A3 at 23 lakhs will eat up the sales of the Octy, Jetta, Superb, A-Class, B-Class, 1-series to a great extent. With the A3 and Q3-S priced below 30-lakhs ex-showroom, Audi will be at the No 1 position for a long time to come among the German players. It will be interesting to see how much of an impact the Merc GLK will be able to make to dethrone Audi.
Old 8th August 2014, 12:12   #145
BHPian

how does the A3 premium and premium plus variants stack up against the celebration edition of A4? with the discounts on CE, the prices of these variants of A3 would be within shouting distance of A4 CE.

On the other hand, would Audi continue with A4 CE, considering they now have A3 occupying that price band?
Old 8th August 2014, 12:27   #146
BHPian

I think that is a common factor with many makes/models. If you see the case of A4, 3er or C class, their high spec variants are priced in the range of the lower variants of next series/class whatever you may call it. It's the fully loaded variant of a lower model eating into the territory of the base variant of the higher model. That is true, not only for just the German trio but other makers and their models too. Head vs Heart again!
Old 8th August 2014, 12:34   #147
BHPian

Isn't relevant for India, but just for facts: A3 does come with a 2.0 Litre Quattro at 220 HP in the US.

US does not have the diesel version. A3 petrol (1.8/2.0) is ranked No. 1 in entry level luxury compact by Car and Driver. CLA (with a Turbo 2.0 Litre and 208 HP) is no. 3 as per their list.
Old 8th August 2014, 14:17   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I think that is a common factor with many makes/models. If you see the case of A4, 3er or C class, their high spec variants are priced in the range of the lower variants of next series/class whatever you may call it. It's the fully loaded variant of a lower model eating into the territory of the base variant of the higher model. That is true, not only for just the German trio but other makers and their models too. Head vs Heart again!
i would differ on that statement. consider the 3 and 5 series pricing, the top of the line 328i is cheaper by 4 lacs from the base 520d, and if were to compare the top 320d to base 520d, the difference is 12 lacs. this is of course without discounts. considering discounts also (hypothetical), the gap would'nt be narrower than 8 lacs 320d to 520d. Similar would be the case with mercs. audi with its trim levels is closer, but not as close as A3 and A4
Old 8th August 2014, 14:43   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
i would differ on that statement. consider the 3 and 5 series pricing, the top of the line 328i is cheaper by 4 lacs from the base 520d, and if were to compare the top 320d to base 520d, the difference is 12 lacs. this is of course without discounts. considering discounts also (hypothetical), the gap would'nt be narrower than 8 lacs 320d to 520d. Similar would be the case with mercs. audi with its trim levels is closer, but not as close as A3 and A4
I was talking about the comparison between the higher variant of lower model to lower variant of higher model only, not between a 320d and a 520d. For a car in the range of 40 lakhs or more, difference of 4 lakhs is seriously getting close to the upper model's territory. Also, you conveniently missed out on the A4 top spec. to A6 low spec. comparison. Those won't be true to your statement by any margin.
Old 8th August 2014, 14:51   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
I was talking about the comparison between the higher variant of lower model to lower variant of higher model only, not between a 320d and a 520d. For a car in the range of 40 lakhs or more, difference of 4 lakhs is seriously getting close to the upper model's territory. Also, you conveniently missed out on the A4 top spec. to A6 low spec. comparison. Those won't be true to your statement by any margin.
Hi, I did mention that audi is closer than the other two in their pricing. and you are right, and i would definitely be wrong if we start comparing A4 3.0 top variant to base A6 2.0. i think in this case the A4 would be much costlier than the A6
lalittalwar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed