Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2014, 18:48   #61
BHPian

re: Audi A3 sedan caught testing EDIT: Launched at INR 22.95 lakhs

I saw a white Audi A3 sedan (it was 1.5 l tsi varient) here in Singapore today. Really does not look like a 30 + lakh car for the indian market. Except for the headlights and taillight design nothing much catchy. It was night time so could not get a closer look at the interiors. Size wise it looked pretty much similar to the VW Vento. Pricing and features are going to be key when Audi launches in India, else it would not bring in the volumes.
I feel that overall the Octavia is a better option except that it does not have the Audi logo.
nikhil_pon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 20:17   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
I saw a white Audi A3 sedan (it was 1.5 l tsi varient) here in Singapore today.
sorry, for typo... it was the 1.4 l tsi varient
Old 17th April 2014, 22:37   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Audi A3 named 2014 World Car of the Year.

Quote:
A panel of 69 automotive journalists selected the car over the BMW 4-Series and Mazda3 because it offers a "silky smooth ride," a "superb choice of engines" and four body styles. They concluded the A3 "packs a hefty premium punch in the small luxury segment."
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11404177...ar-of-the-year
Old 18th April 2014, 05:10   #64
BHPian

Audi A3 is crowned the world car of the year, beating the BMW 4-Series and the Mazda 3

http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...3223&type=News
Old 23rd April 2014, 07:34   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

The car in this video is a fully-loaded 2.0T Premium quattro, basically almost the most expensive model.

Quote:
Audi Connect offers you the option of having a WiFi hotspot inside your car, as well as full social media integration. We're not crazy about Facebook in cars, but Google Street View is awesome to have when you need a visual point of reference.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/20...deo-80260.html
Old 12th May 2014, 12:28   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Audi Q3 : Official Review

Audi India is pinning high hopes on its new entry level sedan, the A3 set to launch in August this year.

Quote:
With dealers requesting to double up the allocation of the car based on the demand even before launch, the A3 is certainly expected to be a strong seller in Audi India’s portfolio. Now, our sources tell us that Audi India will be launching the A3 sedan with only two engine options in India namely the 1.8-litre TSI and 2.0-litre TDI units, while the 1.4-litre TSI available internationally is being given a miss initially.
http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/audi-a...DSsCVtBgbAD.99
Old 20th May 2014, 14:36   #67
BHPian

Got a call from Audi Mumbai South as well as West regarding prebooking the A3. Neither had details on the gearbox/trim levels available, they only knew that the diesel would be the 143bhp one and that there is a petrol option too. Launch is mid June. Price they told me was 25 lakhs ex-showroom Mumbai(non-octroi) with on-road in Mumbai with octroi around 32lakhs. If this is what it actually turns out to be, then I sincerely doubt they will get many concrete orders for the car. I have seen the international version in person, and its waaay too small to justify plonking 32 lakhs on it.
Old 20th May 2014, 16:41   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess Audi is trying to follow the strategy of introducing the pricier variants first to skim the market and then bring the less expensive variants later on. This is also what they did with the Q3. However, this strategy may backfire with the A3. With the Q3, there was a distinct fan base of Audi SUVs keen to get their hands on an Audi SUV in the 35 lac price range. With the A3 you are essentially getting a spruced up Vento. Pricing it at 3X the Vento's price is not going to find many takers.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 20th May 2014 at 16:42.
Old 20th May 2014, 17:03   #69
BHPian

Above 25 lakhs I don't actually expect much numbers for the A3 even though its a sedan while the A & B class from Mercedes and the 1 series are hatchbacks since most first time buyers would probably wait a couple of years and buy the A4/C/3 series which is a proper luxury sedan and even more classier and has even more snob value.

With the smaller cars from the big trio coming in, the A4/C/3 would not be called entry level luxury calls also.

Most likely sales of these A & B class/1 series/A3 at these prices is likely to come from existing luxury car customers who are looking for a smaller set of wheels. Others would most probably find more value in a D segment sedan. Not that the D segment cars are value for money at these current prices
Old 20th May 2014, 22:16   #70
Senior - BHPian

We were all expecting an Audi at the price of a Top end Skoda which isn't going to be the case i feel. The A4, C & 3 are now pushing 40 L and the A6, 5 & E are pushing 50 !! Expect the A3 at 30+ On Road as that price point has now been vacated for an all new segment. Its a real pity though !

The point for us buyers is whether we should buy a car smaller than an Octavia, having the same engine, gearbox and fewer features for 10L + ?
Old 26th May 2014, 13:48   #71
BHPian

Audi A3 sedan caught testing EDIT: Launched at INR 22.95 lakhs-dsc_0058.jpg

Saw the A3 in Mumbai today morning on JVLR. Managed to take a pic while waiting at the traffic light.

Looks stunning, especially in red. In terms of size, looked more like a Verna while parked beside me.

At the previous traffic light, I was waiting beside it and were at the front of the line. As soon as the light turned green, it just swept us behind (it was a 2.0 TDI)
Old 26th May 2014, 15:59   #72
Senior - BHPian

I happened to catch a white A3 on JVLR testing some days back. I had quite the opposite assessment as it underwhelmed me greatly. The lights were simple halogen bulbs, no DRL's of any kind and it was so utterly uninspiring to look at. It was small (of course), about the size of the Vento and I reckon it was the base version. Still, I struggle to see why someone would pick this over a Superb unless they absolutely want the badge. That's considering the somewhat loaded versions are about ₹30 lakhs on-road.
Old 26th May 2014, 16:04   #73
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
Saw the A3 in Mumbai today morning on JVLR. (it was a 2.0 TDI)
That's the first time 2.0tdi badge has been spotted on the test mule. I saw a white one the other day at Worli.
Old 26th May 2014, 22:11   #74
BHPian

I agree the car can be underwhelming if you compare it to an entry level luxury sedan. However, I prefer tight and compact proportions and in that light its well shaped. The flip side is the poor legroom at the rear reported in various forums.

The question this car raises is what, apart from the brand name, would make a person prefer this over a Jetta (more specifically the upcoming MQB version).
Old 4th June 2014, 20:53   #75
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Tweet from Editor of Top Gear India.

Name:  gear.png
Views: 1245
Size:  42.7 KB
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks