Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2014, 14:17   #76
BHPian

re: Audi A3 sedan caught testing EDIT: Launched at INR 22.95 lakhs

UPDATE: Audi India set to launch A3 in AUGUST this year.

Quote:
The market launch of the A3 will take place by August this year.

Dealers of Audi India have started the initial communication with interested customers, thus throwing light on the car’s details. To begin with, the A3 Sedan would be offered with a single engine option, a 2.0-liter four-cylinder TDI engine. This diesel engine will be offered in its 150 hp power state (a 184 hp variant is offered in Europe) producing 340 Nm of torque. A petrol engine may also join the lineup a few months later to offer a wider range to customers.

The 2.0-liter TDI engine sends power to the front wheels via a 6-speed S-Tronic automatic gearbox. Initially, the A3 Sedan will come only with an automatic gearbox, though the company may decide to launch a manual variant in the future as an entry-level model.

Dealers inform that the A3 Sedan will come in two variants: Premium and Premium+. The Premium+ would see additional features such as Xenon Plus headlights, a sunroof and a more premium stereo.

on-road prices would be in the region of INR 30-35 lakhs for the higher variant.
Source: IAB
KING DYSP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 11:27   #77
Team-BHP Support

The Audi A3 1.8 TFSI has been spotted testing in Mumbai.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 22:00   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw an A3 sedan going from Bandra Church towards reclamation.

As I had my windows up, wasn't sure if it was a petrol or a diesel, but I definitely was quite impressed with the handling and pick-up of the car. I was in our remapped Laura, and overtaking the A3 wasn't as easy as I expected - I am guessing it was either the 1.8 TSi, or the 140BHP 2.0TDi engine.
Also, on the ramp leading to the bandra sealink, the A3 seemed a lot more confident around the corner than the Laura - which is expected given it will also be priced at a premium.

However, was not happy to see the halogen headlights. I really hope Audi do not do another Q3S with this car.
lamborghini is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 00:30   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Saw an A3 sedan going from Bandra Church towards reclamation.

As I had my windows up, wasn't sure if it was a petrol or a diesel, but I definitely was quite impressed with the handling and pick-up of the car. I was in our remapped Laura, and overtaking the A3 wasn't as easy as I expected - I am guessing it was either the 1.8 TSi, or the 140BHP 2.0TDi engine.
I have been seeing 2 A3s almost daily. A red A3 with a large sun roof is a 2.0 TDi variant whereas a white 1 is a 1.8TFSi. Both run with red plates and I assume are in their final stage of testing.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 00:38   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I have been seeing 2 A3s almost daily. A red A3 with a large sun roof is a 2.0 TDi variant whereas a white 1 is a 1.8TFSi. Both run with red plates and I assume are in their final stage of testing.
This was a gray-ish black one.
Old 7th July 2014, 14:20   #81
R17
BHPian

ACI reports that launch is just around the corner. It also reports that ex-show prices should start around Rs 28 Lakhs!! - http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ts-389047.aspx

So what was supposed to be a sub Rs 25 Lakh car, competing with A class is now pretty much a competitor to some versions of the A4, C or 3 series. Its tough to make sense of the positioning if thats pricing holds true - after all, its interior room is about the same as a Hyundai Verna. That'll be a shame, considering its reportedly an excellent car.

Here's hoping Audi has the kind sense to price a version below 25 Lakhs as promised by Michael Perschke a year ago http://indianautosblog.com/2013/07/a...hs-india-84733
Old 7th July 2014, 14:55   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R17 View Post
ACI reports that launch is just around the corner. It also reports that ex-show prices should start around Rs 28 Lakhs!! -

So what was supposed to be a sub Rs 25 Lakh car, competing with A class is now pretty much a competitor to some versions of the A4, C or 3 series.
I guess the A3 hatchback will compete with the A class & 1 series. Audi is probably following a top down approach, launch the sedan first because Indian's believe a sedan is premium & luxury. They may also be able to price the sedan a bit higher then the hatch if they launch it first.
Old 8th July 2014, 13:24   #83
PPS
Senior - BHPian

India review of the Audi A3 by Autocar. Media drive is happening tomorrow in Udaipur.

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...-389095,0.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Audi A3 sedan caught testing EDIT: Launched at INR 22.95 lakhs-0_468_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20140708042040_a32.jpg  

Last edited by PPS : 8th July 2014 at 13:25.
PPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 19:33   #84
BHPian

The video review of the A3 by autocar india is here folks.

Old 9th July 2014, 21:54   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got the invite for the official launch event in Delhi on August 8th. I'm guessing the media event will be before and prices should be out earlier.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 14:43   #86
BHPian

After reading the ACI review. You can't just help but notice to what level that review has been bought! They are all-praises for the car and not just in the reviews! There is a FM radio ad which begins praising the Audi A3 and then says this and another 15 new car reviews in the July edition of the Autocar magazine, grab your copy from the news stands near you.

All they need to say is, this is a VW Jetta TDI DSG/Octavia TSI DSG in a fancy frock (which to my eye isn't as pretty) and suckers for the badge can definitely pay a good 10 lakhs above the pricetag and can enjoy mentioning at parties that they drive an Audi.

Awaiting an unbiased review from our Team-BHP folks to actually figure if this car is actually any different from the ones I just mentioned.

Regards,
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 14:49   #87
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Just got the invite for the official launch event in Delhi on August 8th. I'm guessing the media event will be before and prices should be out earlier.
A day earlier.

Name:  a3.png
Views: 1157
Size:  21.0 KB
Old 11th July 2014, 16:39   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
All they need to say is, this is a VW Jetta TDI DSG/Octavia TSI DSG in a fancy frock (which to my eye isn't as pretty) and suckers for the badge can definitely pay a good 10 lakhs above the pricetag and can enjoy mentioning at parties that they drive an Audi.
I saw the ACI video review and thought its quite well-balanced. A3 is quite an accomplished car in its hatchback/sportsback avatars, and the sedan looks pretty neat as well. The rear seat space is still of the hatchback class, but other than that its a great package. And the current competition in this space also does not excel in rear seat comfort (A-Class, 1 series etc.).

Even though the engine options are shared with the Octavia, its far more superior than the A and 1.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 17:52   #89
BHPian

After reading the autocar review, there is one necessary feature missing in the car. Its the electric folding side mirrors. Can someone confirm whether it is really missing? If it is missing, then its an oversight by Audi, because on our congested roads its a highly desirable feature.
Old 11th July 2014, 19:05   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post

The A3's platform is identical to the new Octavia (MQB) as also the engine options and power output levels. However, the interior dimensions are bound to be much smaller than the Octavia. The Octavia is pitched in the same "space class" as an A4 internationally while the A3 would be pitched in the same class as the new European Rapid (equivalent to our Vento) in terms of space. I personally experienced the amount of space in the new Octavia and the current A4 and would have to say the Octavia is actually even more spacious than the A4.

So to say A3 is an Octavia DSG in a fancy dress is already an over statement. It is more or a "mini Octavia in a fancy dress" - at a 50% higher price.

The only way I see for Audi to rake up decent numbers in our space-obsessed market is to launch at a really mouth watering price point - say Rs. 21 or 22 lacs ex-showroom.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks