Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2014, 14:42   #121
Senior - BHPian

Yikes, that base variant is really poorly equipped. Looks like I jumped the gun on that variant a bit lol. The Premium spec looks like it's VFM going by that feature list. Audi wanted a great sticker price and they've done that. Let's see how the market reacts to it now.
Old 7th August 2014, 15:06   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: Audi A3 sedan caught testing EDIT: Launched at INR 22.95 lakhs

Aren't the worthwhile variants very close in price to the A4? And the mid-variants can actually be compared to the base A4 in terms of features, which didn't have an `Attraction' trim.

Is the S-tronic 7-speed DSG, the DQ200?

Last edited by StarScream : 7th August 2014 at 15:08.
Old 7th August 2014, 15:10   #123
BHPian

Mouthwatering pricing!

This car gonna set new trend in India and will start new war between premium car manufacturers.

I know its a dumb question and answer is most probably negative but still asking if the A3 comes with Quattro?

Last edited by tbppjpr : 7th August 2014 at 15:12.
Old 7th August 2014, 15:14   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Mouthwatering pricing!

I know its a dumb question and answer is most probably negative but still asking if the A3 comes with Quattro?
Nope, it does not.

If Audi launches the S3 opposite the CLA45 AMG, then off course the S3 is Quattro equipped

Otherwise i dont think Audi will ever launch the Quattro specced regular A3s.
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 15:14   #125
Senior - BHPian

Look at the segment first safety equipment list in new Audi A3

Spare wheel (please note it is space saving not the ordinary), wheel bolts, tool kit, screw jack, warning triangle, first aid kit etc etc. Am I missing something?

Thank god they all come in base variant too. Anyway it will sell like hot cake in India.
Attached Thumbnails
Audi A3 sedan caught testing EDIT: Launched at INR 22.95 lakhs-audia3.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 7th August 2014 at 15:19. Reason: typo
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 15:19   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Mouthwatering pricing!

This car gonna set new trend in India and will start new war between premium car manufacturers.

nope. there shall be no quattro for A3
Old 7th August 2014, 15:21   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Nope, it does not.
Thanks, you saved me from big financial loss otherwise I started drooling and dreaming after seeing the price.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 15:22   #128
BHPian

This will definitely be the game changer in the in the luxury segment. How appalling would the booking numbers is yet to be seen. The base attraction variant is fairly equipped when compared to the base model of the 1 series. In competition, I feel the A class and 1 series and the Superb will be the most affected.
Old 7th August 2014, 15:32   #129
Team-BHP Support

The starting price of Rs. 22.95 looks attractive on paper, but overall I wouldn't say this is great pricing.
The Premium variant looks just decent, and the Premium+ looks to be the best bet but thats really not great pricing at 28.95 and 29.95 lakhs for the petrol and diesel respectively. The Technology variant looks to be a rip-off with close to 3 lakhs add-on for reverse camera and navigation. And sun-roof is listed optional for all variants!

But I expect this to really do well as (1) there is no direct competition until CLA arrives, and (2) BMW does not have any major pricing/equipment advantage with the 1-series, and the Merc A/B have inferior engine options.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 16:00   #130
BHPian

It's definitely not great pricing, the starting price of 22.95 lacs looks more like a gimmick to entice people into at least consider walking in to showrooms to enquire about the car. The top end technology variant priced at 32.66 lacs would translate to about 40 lacs OTR bangalore, honestly at that price point I think the base 320d makes more sense which with the current discounts might actually turn out to be a couple of lacs less than the A3 technology variant. I'm in the market for a luxury car and I considered everything from the octavia and jetta to the BMW X1 to the 3 series. But I was waiting to see how audi prices the A3.. I'm not going to pay 15 lacs over the top end jetta for just navigation and a sunroof, would rather spend that money for the base 320d 😀
zombiedriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 17:27   #131
BHPian

With all talk of localization and local manufacturing, i guess they should have "manufactured" Brochure in India for India specific car. Even though the details are for India specific variants, the pictures are not.

Also, the base variant pricing is keeping in mind the people who want Snob value of the A-brand but dont want to pay top-dollar for it (A similar case exists for people who want sedans and end up buying hatchbacks with stick-on boots).

All in all, a good marketing move, will surely increase the footfalls and resultant sales.
Old 7th August 2014, 17:48   #132
BANNED

The price leader is the Diesel and not the Petrol. A first for India. Maybe the bottom end is all compression ignition.
Old 7th August 2014, 19:31   #133
BHPian

Pricing is decent I feel and this will ensure it tops the charts against its competition till the CLA arrives sometime next year. This should set new records for Audi and they well and truly have the first mover advantage here. The base variant is shockingly sparsely equipped but then that is the case with the base 1 series as well. Full marks to Mercedes for decently equipping their cars here and hope the trend continues with the CLA and GLA.

I agree that the top end diesel is going into A4 and 3 series territory and they are a better choice purely by virtue of more power. Of course they offer you better status, have more standard equipment (read sunroof/rooftop) as well which is what really sells in these segments.

Would have loved to see a Team-BHP review of this car!
Old 7th August 2014, 21:11   #134
Senior - BHPian

Really disappointed with the petrol option or lack of :-(
- No MT
- No Premium or Action variant

With Audi Q3, Audi had launched a petrol MT later, and a A3 petrol MT at ~3-4 lakhs lower than Premium+ could have been really great for petrolheads - 180ps and all.

Hope Audi does bring in a MT petrol!!

@Latheesh
seems like someone at Audi fell asleep while drawing the feature table, so ended abruptly as far as Safety goes ;-) No ABS, EBD, TCS, etc etc just nuts, bolts and spare saver - sheesh.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 7th August 2014 at 21:16.
Old 7th August 2014, 21:29   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The price leader is the Diesel and not the Petrol. A first for India. Maybe the bottom end is all compression ignition.
Wasn't it the same case with the 3 series too until quite later when BMW launched the 320i?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed