Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2013, 01:06   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai India introduces Santro Xing Celebration Edition

I'm yet to understand Hyundai and their strategies vis-ŕ-vis the Santro / Eon / i10 and now the new i10 grand. The 3-6 lakh range in their stable looks a little crowded and is starting to stink of Maruti more than anything else.

What would make sense to me is if Hyundai were to discontinue the Santro altogether but replace that wheezy 3-pot engine in the Eon with the Santro's peaky 4-cylinder motor. And then drop the prices of the Eon to make way for a budget (old gen) i10 (if they must) and make room for the new i10 grand higher in the price range.

But I'm not the one who calls the shots, and perhaps that's a good thing. But the Santro has lived it's life. I don't know why it must be flogged for longer.

Also, I don't understand why the cabbies have lapped it up. I can think of many cars that could don the black-and-yellow and do a better job of ferrying people around town. Cars that ride better, are more spacious, and are cheaper to buy / run. Well actually, it's just one car. The Nano.

While it's a good car, the Santro, I think there are several better options out there. I'm hoping this Limited Edition is a stock-clearance tactic and nothing more.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 08:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Also, I don't understand why the cabbies have lapped it up. I can think of many cars that could don the black-and-yellow and do a better job of ferrying people around town. Cars that ride better, are more spacious, and are cheaper to buy / run. Well actually, it's just one car. The Nano.
Cabs need trunk space. Nano has none.
Old 14th August 2013, 09:51   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Cabs need trunk space. Nano has none.
The last time I hired a Santro cab in Mumbai, the trunk was non existent thanks to the LPG cylinder.
Old 14th August 2013, 10:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The last time I hired a Santro cab in Mumbai, the trunk was non existent thanks to the LPG cylinder.
I was under the impression that the santro cabs use the toroidal LPG tank. Evidently not!
Old 14th August 2013, 12:34   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Customers looking to buy this ‘celebration edition’ will have to shell out Rs. 381,268 (ex-showroom, Delhi) for the GL plus petrol variant.

http://motorbash.com/hyundai-launche...-rs-3-81-lakh/
Old 14th August 2013, 17:08   #21
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I was under the impression that the santro cabs use the toroidal LPG tank. Evidently not!
Could it be the CNG variant? AFAIK, the Santro ECO comes with a factory-fitted LPG kit and a toroidal tank that sits neatly in the spare wheel bay. The spare wheel itself sits flat on the boot floor, with the jack and tools housed within it, so the luggage capacity would be the same as in a normal Santro, minus the volume of the spare wheel.

On the other hand the CNG kit, available only in some cities, is a dealer-fitment authorised by the company, so the warranty remains intact. I don't think compressed natural gas tanks can be toroidal in shape, so the CNG tank would be a large cylinder housed in the boot, occupying much of the available luggage space.

Last edited by RSR : 14th August 2013 at 17:24. Reason: Quoted the wrong post, fixed it now

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks