Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2013, 10:05   #31
BHPian

To start with - I do own a skoda.

Have I had issues with with the after sales service. No.

Quality of the product - reasonably happy on the build.

Overall I feel it's a great move by skoda, and something that will take them further, my only challenge that I feel, that needs further improvement is the cost of spares, they should help reduce that.

Best - ML
Old 14th August 2013, 11:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: Rumour: Skoda India to offer 5 year standard warranty on its Cars

Good move and a segment first(?), if not industry first. The main aspects Skoda definitely should improve on in after sales service and customer experiences and this step in surely a step in that (right) direction. Only hope they implement this with all honesty and deliver with integrity.

Will be good on them to start offering this right from the new Octavia that they're launching. Hope things improve by and for Skoda.

Last edited by k_ajay : 14th August 2013 at 11:19.
Old 14th August 2013, 11:30   #33
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes this would be a good move for sure. The current 2+2 years is not equivalent as the 2 years extension is contingent to buying a specific insurance etc. A standard 5 years by Skoda and VW group would be a superb move and also force the hand of other manufacturers. Yes the VFM ones will then have to aim for 7 year warranty and the customers status as the King will be reconfirmed.

Also Skoda should extent the current warranty of cars still within warranty to 5 years Free of Cost. This would be a much appreciated goodwill gesture. (Nope I will not benefit.)

They do seem to be honouring their warranties in general.

Last edited by ACM : 14th August 2013 at 11:31.
Old 14th August 2013, 12:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

People have to accept that not all European brands come with European level of service. Even bigger and more expensive brands (the likes of Audi, BMW and Mercedes) seem to sometimes falter on their A$$ aspect in some manner or the other. Japanese, Koreans and the Americans have their fair share of problems too!

Skoda is trying hard to reinvent their image by bringing in better service levels, cheaper spares, well-informed and capable dealers and an awareness of a general sense of stability in their products. The to-be-launced 5 Year standard warranty is a part of that deal. The 2013 Octavia is coming up too. Give it some time and let this innovative restructuring pan out. There are bigger and better things happening at Skoda and for once, it's really up to the consumers to allow them to show what they're really capable of.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 13:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
The point that Abhi seems to be making is that there is a certain amount of group-think here. Every bad experience with Skoda is played up enormously - every decent experience (whether that of Shankar or dkaile or me, despite the problems I have had) is discounted. If Skoda actually launches an unprecedented (for India) 5 year warranty, hats off to them. It's just what people like me have been saying they should do.
I disagree. As someone who is in the market to buy a car and has always liked the way the Octavia looked (gen-1, Laura-1 and the imminent one), my take is this: I have read the good experiences you, dkaile and Shankar have had. I have also read the bad experiences and heard some first-hand, word-of-mouth experiences from people I trust outside this forum. My impression is that the situation is 50:50 - you could have an excellent experience or you could be one of the unlucky ones. I also understand that Skoda is to Europe the sort of revelation that Hyundai has been to the U.S. But I still perceive the brand as a risk in India.

A 5-year standard warranty is the right step, albeit a small one. It'll take a lot for Skoda to change my opinion. And they themselves are to blame for the reputation they have acquired.

My first interaction with them hasn't been a very positive one. I called for a Yeti test drive. They promised it over the weekend (a week or two ago), didn't show and haven't bothered calling since.

Last edited by StarScream : 14th August 2013 at 13:08.
Old 14th August 2013, 13:48   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Why ever would anyone compromise on the quality of spares?
Why the assumption that the quality of spares outside of the dealer is bad?
Old 14th August 2013, 13:53   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Why the assumption that the quality of spares outside of the dealer is bad?
No assumption of that kind at all.
If indeed there was an assumption, then it was that the dealers charge a higher price for OE spares - which may indeed be true.
However, I would rather buy OE spares from an "Authorized Source" than a general source, especially in our country where these things are not nearly as well regulated as they ought to be.
OE is the operative word really. I dont think anyone on TBHP would flirt with the dark side of the Non OE world, because I do believe all of us without exception, love our cars too much!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th August 2013 at 13:55.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:23   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
But they were already offering 2+ 2 year of similar service. The problem was not with what they offer but what they honor and how they serviced customers.

Half the warranty requested was rejected and many had their cars in the garage so long that they hated to have owned the car in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Their cars are great, their existing service offering (2+2 years extended warranty) is good too. They need to 'actually' provide the service they're promising customers, not come up with new feel-good schemes that would mean nothing with their existing dealer setup and service attitude.
Please note that there is a big difference between a standard 5 year warranty and a 2+2. In the case of the latter, the Extended Warranty is not provided by the Manufacturer but by an Insurance company. As a result, there are a number of claims which are "rejected" for not meeting the fine print criteria. The criteria is far more stringent than in the original 2 year warranty provided by the Manufacturer.

IMHO, a standard 5 year warranty is far more comprehensive than a 2+2 and would offer much better peace of mind!
suman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 14:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic News !! I would however wait for an official announcement from SKODA INDIA.

I would definitely consider SKODA for my next purchase.
Old 14th August 2013, 16:14   #40
BHPian

Lets wait to read the fine print in the 5 year warranty before hailing this move. I am sure there will be many exclusions under "normal wear and tear".
Old 14th August 2013, 17:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Please note that there is a big difference between a standard 5 year warranty and a 2+2. In the case of the latter, the Extended Warranty is not provided by the Manufacturer but by an Insurance company.
I am confused on this statement. Does the manufacturer claim insurance of a car registered in the owner's name? How does that work when insurance companies calculate depreciation? I have received certificates from Nissan and Volkswagen themselves than the insurer.

Though I agree that, the extended warranty fine print and the ease in honoring extended warranty claims, are a case altogether.
Old 14th August 2013, 17:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

One news that does bring a smile to many prospective Skoda owners.
The fact that this will be a 5 years warranty, and not a 2+2 year, is surely a good move. The +2 was something optional, meaning, one had to shell out extra for added warranty. Now, its by default. So, a good move in my books at least.

As far as horror stories are concerned, obviously; there's never smoke without fire, and vice versa. But, if the wayward son is showing some signs of improvement, i say, we give him that chance! (Subah ka bhoola... and all that jazz)

I, as an owner of 3 of them, do welcome this move totally. Only grouse being, I wouldve been happier, had this been offerred before hand. Nevertheless, better late than never!

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 14th August 2013 at 17:16.
Old 14th August 2013, 18:07   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post

Please note that there is a big difference between a standard 5 year warranty and a 2+2. In the case of the latter, the Extended Warranty is not provided by the Manufacturer but by an Insurance company. As a result, there are a number of claims which are "rejected" for not meeting the fine print criteria. The criteria is far more stringent than in the original 2 year warranty provided by the Manufacturer.

IMHO, a standard 5 year warranty is far more comprehensive than a 2+2 and would offer much better peace of mind!
Yes you are absolutely right. I would agree totally with you on this aspect.
Old 14th August 2013, 18:18   #44
BHPian

But they should be freindly also. Currently tge dealers are obnoxious. They hate customers, sales or service irrespective. I will expect 5 yrs of horror in service expenditure as they will replace a lot of parts as preventive maintainence which is part of the warranty.
Old 14th August 2013, 18:25   #45
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
But they should be freindly also. Currently tge dealers are obnoxious. They hate customers, sales or service irrespective. I will expect 5 yrs of horror in service expenditure as they will replace a lot of parts as preventive maintainence which is part of the warranty.
Your statement is very extreme and wholly unwarranted in my opinion. Not acceptable at all to one who has had good experiences so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks