Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2013, 20:57   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post

Only shows how people choose to read what they 'want' to read. Even when there are threads where Skoda has been appreciated, we still only see this.

To each his own, yes. True!
See Skoda has come to a point where everyone including their mother's will take a snick at them.

Point is they are doing well with the Laura and the Superb. If they do well with the Octavia people will start appreciating them more.

In the end if people see value they will buy a product. A lot of these hear says dont really matter to them.

Matter of fact is 90% of the people bad mouthing Skoda have never bought a Skoda or even sat in one. I bought a Skoda and did not have a good experience but that was not something which will make me hate the whole company and put an embargo on its products.

No if I see value, which I do in the Octavia. I will go for it.
eq24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 00:19   #62

Re: Rumour: Skoda India to offer 5 year standard warranty on its Cars

I see it as a great marketing move. This would ensure that most of the Skoda owners will continue to bear with the service center issues (current weak point for them) for five years to keep their warranty.

P.S. I currently drive a Skoda and am happy with the build quality of the car and very happy with services from a good friendly garage.
427Cubes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 02:42   #63
BHPian

Another Skoda bashing thread. sigh!

I have had better experience with Skoda than what I have had with Maruti Suzuki, this includes the product, sales experience & after sales experience.

I know and I am fully aware of the injustice done by Skoda to many over the years, but acts like providing 5 years standard warranty should be considered as Skoda trying to improve. The recent good testament to improved Skoda service by many owners should definitely be taken in stride of a company that is trying to get better, albeit slow - but seems like they are on the right path

Some say the costs of spares are expensive, but I generally put that to the quality of parts. To put things in perspective, a Stage 3 Laura vRS (churning out in the 400 BHP region) runs on stock clutch. Almost all of the Stage 2 cars (the one's that are in the region of 320 BHP) runs on stock clutch. These parts are made to last, unlike the experiences that I have had on my Maruti where a few spirited runs on the stock car and the Clutch starts crying.

Drive a Maruti as hard as you'd drive a Skoda (petrols), the costs of maintenance is much higher on the Maruti. An Awful lot higher. Trust me, I speak out of experience.

Last edited by azeemhafiz : 17th August 2013 at 02:43.
azeemhafiz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 07:52   #64
BHPian

I'm going little OT. Of late, bashing has become fashion. We take the liberty to bash or comment on anything and everything irrespective of whether we have knowledge in that area or not. Similarly, I'm not sure how many Skoda-bashers really own one or has ever owned one. I bet not many; And those who own will will be happy to share both good and not-so-good experiences.
Therefore my personal opinion is not to blindly comment or comment based on someone else's experience. Hope sense prevails.
harishpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 09:22   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
3. But there is a good amount of Skoda bashing going on. May be more than what they deserve.

I think the bashing is a matter of perception. The perception in the market is that their service and attitude are bad. Anyone getting a good service is seen as an exception. On the otherhand say, Honda has a good image of service and attitude. Any lapse from their side is more or less pardoned and considered as an exception.
Well said - this is the gist of the issue. The intentions of a manufacturer to increase the warranty period across its range would normally be welcomed by any automotive group. When people choose to ignore the news and use the occasion to talk up the negatives of the manufacturer, you know something isnt right.

I was part of what may be called "Skoda Bashing" here several years ago. I've also seen "Tata Bashing" and "Hyundai Bashing" based on individual cases presented here.

I now own a Skoda, and have owned both the other brands mentioned. I can confidently state that none of those individual cases are representative of my experience as an owner. Contrary to "popular perception", I've never felt cheated by Hyundai on spare part prices, never had any warranty issues with Tata despite doing everything to break all warranty clauses, and have (touch-wood) not had a single issue with my Skoda dealership or the car.

Unfortunately, this is India - where hot air rabble-rousers like Arnab Goswami and Barkha get far more attention than real, sensible news. Substance gets washed away by the sheer torrent of bovine excreta.

End of rant.

Last edited by Steeroid : 17th August 2013 at 09:30.
Steeroid is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 01:37   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Yay! Another Skoda bashing thread.

Usually I don’t bother with these threads as I no longer service my car at the Skoda service center. But I have had experiences with 3 different Skoda service centers and all three of them were hassle free.

I did my first servicing at the Skoda Siliguri,WB service center en-route to Bangalore. It was a routine check up with oil and change of filters. No hidden charges and it was pretty quick.

Following this, I started modifying the car and the second service was done at S7Cars, Salem,TN. The guys at Salem were intrigued by the performance of my car and it was actually the first petrol Laura Tsi they had seen. It was a quick service with oil change (I had actually given them my own engine oil, OWS Turbo Racing) along with regular oil/pollen/air filter change. They also installed the front bumper spoiler, rear brake pads and didn’t charge any labour. The service advisor and sales manager became great friends and never charged me anything for installation of accessories like rear windscreen blind, door scuff plates etc. Being a smaller dealership, it was mostly free during weekdays and was a good place to hang around.

Thereafter, I had modded my car to over 300HP and the third routine service was done at TAFE, Bangalore. This time my car had a wheel speed sensor error, initially the service center guys wanted to change all the 4 sensors but my VCDS log indicated that only the rear right sensor was malfunctioning and upon changing that the issue was solved.

After from this, all the major mechanical work in my car has been carried out by Pete’s Kochi and it has been the best customer service once can imagine. Once I had some water-pump issue in my car and the very next day the mechanics from Pete’s came and changed the pump at my place itself. The best thing was that they did not charge me anything for it, as it had happened within a few thousand kms after the Stage 2+ mods. Then on I stopped visiting Skoda ASS as my warranty was over and the work around time with Pete’s was much faster.

Now, whatever I have mentioned is my personal experience and I know people have had bitter experiences with Skoda. But I feel the quality of the cars they make is much better than the comparable Jap/American cars and it just needs a bit of care and regular service to have a delightful ownership experience. If they are providing a 5 year warranty that's a wonderful thing on their part and it should go a long way in improving their image in India.
robimahanta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 08:19   #67
Senior - BHPian

It is great to see so many owners coming out in support for Skoda. I personally believe, the build quality of Skoda and VW is notches above any Japanese or Korean manufacturers. The stability of the vehicle and smile on the face when you push her hard on an empty stretch is just mind blowing. You need to feel it to experience it. Spare parts and body replacement parts are priced at par with any other Japanese manufacturer. Skoda has consciously worked on bringing down the cost over the years by localising content to the max extent possible. Please refer to the thread on the "cost of spare parts of cars sold here" and you would agree with me.

Coming to the five year warranty, I dare assume that we are still not having any confirmed news on this front. But if it does happen, it will only help to build Skoda's name even more and help it to resurrect its image to a large extent.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 21:13   #68
Senior - BHPian

Folks, if everyone indeed goes by their own experience only, just imagine what would happen?
I dont enjoy this Skoda bashing either.. But when one of our own (Harish) has gone thru so much, its not uncalled for. Done with this thread.
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 11:52   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Yay! Another Skoda bashing thread.

Thereafter, I had modded my car to over 300HP and the third routine service was done at TAFE, Bangalore. This time my car had a wheel speed sensor error, initially the service center guys wanted to change all the 4 sensors but my VCDS log indicated that only the rear right sensor was malfunctioning and upon changing that the issue was solved.

After from this, all the major mechanical work in my car has been carried out by Pete’s Kochi and it has been the best customer service once can imagine. Once I had some water-pump issue in my car and the very next day the mechanics from Pete’s came and changed the pump at my place itself. The best thing was that they did not charge me anything for it, as it had happened within a few thousand kms after the Stage 2+ mods. Then on I stopped visiting Skoda ASS as my warranty was over and the work around time with Pete’s was much faster.
So do you drive down to pete's in whitefield? I see they have a small setup there.. or do you drive down to Kochi for major services and oil changes etc?
Old 21st August 2013, 12:23   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
I do not own or owned a Skoda. I have 2 friends owning Lauras and are proud of their cars. I know couple of friends who decided against buying Skoda in last 1 year......on a strategic level, close Harish's case. This has been going on for ever and 90% of the bashers cite this case. It makes business sense for Skoda to close the case - they should go whatever extent to make him happy. The negative publicity it is generating is creating more harm than even if they have to give him 5 cars free of cost...
+1 to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
So do you drive down to pete's in whitefield? I see they have a small setup there.. or do you drive down to Kochi for major services and oil changes etc?
My car has done 52K kms and I had been to Pete's Kochi for the mods (major mechanical upgrades) apart from that I have done regular service at the Skoda service centres till date. For simple work, Pete's sends down his mechanic to my place and they finish the job in my apartment parking lot. The Whitefield,BLR franchise is also pretty fast and efficient.
Old 23rd August 2013, 12:46   #71
BHPian

Is there any confirmation of the 5 year standard warranty from Skoda. This seems to be just a rumour and i see nothing anywhere else not even speculation in any other site about this. Will be good if anyone else has can independently confirm this
Old 23rd August 2013, 15:30   #72
BHPian

It's just a rumor. None of skoda dealers are even aware of this. I'm not sure who started this rumor, wish it was true.
Old 18th September 2013, 10:51   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
Is there any confirmation of the 5 year standard warranty from Skoda. This seems to be just a rumour and i see nothing anywhere else not even speculation in any other site about this. Will be good if anyone else has can independently confirm this
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
It's just a rumor. None of skoda dealers are even aware of this. I'm not sure who started this rumor, wish it was true.
It is true and not a rumour. In my very first statement i mentioned it very clearly that it is a very reliable source. Skoda had this five year warranty plan already on paper the day i started this thread and finally they have announced the five year extended warranty plan for the skoda rapid.
Skoda India launches "5X5 Experience" for the Rapid sedan
Old 18th September 2013, 11:54   #74
BHPian

This is extended warranty and not standard warranty as is clearly mentioned in the ad and seems to be limited to Rapid for now. I remember the Ad coming in TOI around a week back. There are other manufacturers also offering 5 years extended warranty, i know hyundai does

Having said that if Skoda makes 5 years the duration of standard warranty for all its products in India there will be no one happier than me. But as of now there seems to be nothing to indicate that. Hopefully Skoda will pleasantly surprise us all
Old 18th September 2013, 17:30   #75
Senior - BHPian

Not only that its applicable only till end September as well - which they might extended if they see it working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
and seems to be limited to Rapid for now. I remember the Ad coming in TOI around a week back.

Most Viewed