Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2013, 00:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel coming to India in early 2014

Link to News Section

Japanese automaker Mitsubishi, along with its Indian joint venture partner, Hindustan Motors, has made no bones about the fact that it wants to focus only on SUVs in the Indian car market. This explains Mitsubishi's decision to cull the likes of the Lancer, Cedia and Evolution-X sedans from its Indian portfolio, to be left with the likes of the Pajero Sport and the Montero SUVs. During this model rejig, SUVs such as the Pajero SFX and the Outlander were also discontinued.

Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel coming to India in early 2014-2013-mitubishi-outlander-crossover-1.jpg

While the production of the Pajero SFX was stopped due to fears of the SUV cannibalizing sales of the newly launched Pajero Sport, the Outlander's poor sales, owing to the crossover being a petrol-only model, resulted in its discontinuation from the Indian market. A new announcement from Mr. P. Vijayan, the Chief Operating Officer at Hindustan Motors, has revealed that the car maker will launch the diesel powered Outlander crossover in early-2014.

Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel coming to India in early 2014-2013-mitubishi-outlander-crossover-2.jpg

The Outlander that was discontinued from the Indian market earlier this year was the second generation model, even as Mitsubishi has already begun selling the third generation model of this crossover globally. First unveiled at last year's Geneva Motor Show, the 3rd-gen model of the Outlander is a much bigger SUV, and comes in 5 seat and 7 seat versions. Also, petrol and turbo diesel engines are available on the new Outlander.

The turbo diesel engined version of the 3rd-gen Outlander crossover is likely to be launched in India next year. This SUV features a 2.2 liter turbo diesel motor that outputs 147 Bhp of peak power and 380 Nm of peak torque. The engine comes with 6 speed manual and automatic gearbox options, and it remains to be seen which gearbox Mitsubishi India will bring to India. Also, the Outlander is available with both 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive options.

Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel coming to India in early 2014-2013-mitubishi-outlander-crossover-3.jpg

Apart from the additional space on offer due to its larger dimensions, the 2013 Outlander Diesel crossover is also said to bring a whole bunch of new features into the equation. This, as the Indian car market is witnessing contemporary products being launched with better features and creature comforts. A better feature set could make the crossover a more attractive proposition to the well heeled Indian luxury SUV buyer.

Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel coming to India in early 2014-2013-mitubishi-outlander-crossover-4.jpg

Mitsubishi and Hindustan Motors imported the discontinued version of the Outlander to India through the completely built unit (CBU) route. This move resulted in the crossover being priced steeply. Therefore, CKD assembly could make the India-bound 3rd generation model more affordable. If assembled through CKD kits, expect the 2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel to be built at Hindustan Motors's assembly unit at Tiruvallur, off Chennai.

Source FinancialExpress

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 15th August 2013 at 00:36. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 08:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel coming to India in early 2014

First of all this one looks really bad specially after getting used to seeing the gorgeous 2nd generation car which was being sold until now.

Secondly what is the price point that Mitsubishi is looking at for this car? They have never been known for pricing there cars aggressively in our market. If the previous prices were anything to go by then this diesel Outlander would end up landing in the same price bracket as the Pajero sport.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 08:29   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This is a good move to do the CKD approach and bring in a diesel heart too.

Wonder whether they will offer a manual and an AT or only AT.

And yes, certainly the current gen Outlander looks far nicer than this tamer version with the oddball moustache grill. I preferred the slightly more aggressive gaping mouth grill which they styled as that JetFighter look or whatever!

Honestly if these blokes want to corner a good share in the marketplace with this vehicle, then it needs to be priced above the XUV and positioned around the same space as the speculative Korando pricing because then, it will really blow away the market. It definitely needs to have smarter pricing than the Pajero Sport and has to be cheaper than the Captiva, CRV, Santa Fe etc. Of course, it also argues that HM Mitsu needs to get their servicing act together and fast!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th August 2013 at 08:32.
Old 15th August 2013, 08:38   #4
BHPian

Mitsubishi has to increase their presence in the country before launching any new models. The new outlander looks huge. I don't think they will be able to bring down their massive prices considering that they are not localizing their models to a great extent. However I wish them all the best for new ventures
Old 15th August 2013, 09:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

OMG! What have they done to the Outlander?

This looks old and ugly when compared to the gorgeous second generation.

Hope they launch the new Outlander Sport here instead of this with the Diesel motor. And while you're at it Mitsubishi, please ditch HM.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 10:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I like the new grown up look, going by the pictures it looks bigger in size as well, an aspect that is considered high on Indian SUV shopper's list. The first Outlander in India was a good looking car but i did not like the EVO-ish facelift that followed later. But the Outlander was an excellent package, Ride and Handling combo was tuned well, Interiors were plush without any third world feel..

With a Diesel motor and Decent pricing, it should appeal to quality conscious buyers who do not really need a ladder frame chassis based truck.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 11:56   #7
Team-BHP Support

Good move by Mitsubishi, but I wonder what makes them wait until early next year. The car is already on sale in other markets.
I have seen it in person, and actually liked the new design. It is said to be well-loaded especially on the safety front (not sure how much of those will be retained for India).

The 7-seater version with a pricing in the range of 15-20 lakhs should be ideal for our market.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 12:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Good move by Mitsubishi, but I wonder what makes them wait until early next year. The car is already on sale in other markets.
I have seen it in person, and actually liked the new design. It is said to be well-loaded especially on the safety front (not sure how much of those will be retained for India).

The 7-seater version with a pricing in the range of 15-20 lakhs should be ideal for our market.
If launched, this will be a god option for SUV customers in the 15-20 lakh range. The last Outlander was a good and well proportioned car but lacked a diesel option which is a prerequisite for SUVs in India.
Old 16th August 2013, 14:52   #9

I do not think they have to necessarily price it under the Santa fe, Captiva etc., what is key here is the equipment level.

I personally like the design, in spite of the headlamps and taillamps being very Range Rover-esque. The more aggressive looks of the older gen IMHO would not have suited a larger car like this one.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:32   #10
BHPian

Good Lord, they have ruined the looks of the Outlander.

If they get a fully kitted diesel AT for less than 20lakhs , then it will be a hit.

That is of course, if HM has improved their terrible sales and service network.
Old 16th August 2013, 17:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
If they get a fully kitted diesel AT for less than 20lakhs , then it will be a hit.

That is of course, if HM has improved their terrible sales and service network.
I dont know what it costs to build/import the car but why would HM try to price it bellow 20 lakhs when all the competitors (Captiva, Santa Fe etc) are priceed close to 30 lakhs for the top end AT? But I agree that if they manage to price it bellow 20 lakhs it will sell in very good numbers (say 500 units a month).
Old 16th August 2013, 17:59   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
I dont know what it costs to build/import the car but why would HM try to price it bellow 20 lakhs when all the competitors (Captiva, Santa Fe etc) are priceed close to 30 lakhs for the top end AT? But I agree that if they manage to price it bellow 20 lakhs it will sell in very good numbers (say 500 units a month).
Agreed that the competition is quite expensive.

I only hoped because the Outlander is going to be made the CKD way, instead of the CBU method, which will cost more due to our taxes.

Mitsu really needs some competitive pricing to stay afloat, because almost everyone except hard core loyalists are staying away from the brand.
Old 18th August 2013, 23:36   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel coming to India in early 2014

The diesel engine could be a trump card for the new Outlander.

At present, none of its competitors offer the same level of space, practicality, and a diesel engine - Unless you go the Koleos (too cramped), or Endy/Santa Fe/Fortuner way (too big). I personally would love to see this.
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 01:15   #14
BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Outlander Diesel coming to India in early 2014

Loved the 2012 Outlander, till we heard the user reviews of 5-6kmpl of petrol! It had fantastic features and creature comforts. The diesel 2013 model should really make the SUV segment interesting in the sub 30lac category, if priced right

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks