Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2013, 19:48   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: 2014 Toyota Innova Facelift - Now Launched!

The new Innova looks like its got a punch right on the nose and broken upper teeth.

18 Lacs for this basic MUV with 2 Airbags and ABS and a 102 bhp outdated and noisy diesel engine? And metal thickness akin to Lays Wafers?

Loyalists - please dont tell me its the price you pay for reliability and the 'T' badge. Agreed, its reliable but whatever you save is spent on the exorbitant service bills. And Toyota is not a Merc or a Bimmer that they can charge a premium for its brand name.

Why do I still think that this ugly duckling will be adopted like crazy by the Indian consumers? Because we follow herd mentality... "Oh, the new Innova has launched. Hurray! Just 18 Lacs for an all-new Innova, book two of them today itself"!
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 20:37   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Why do I still think that this ugly duckling will be adopted like crazy by the Indian consumers? Because we follow herd mentality... "Oh, the new Innova has launched. Hurray! Just 18 Lacs for an all-new Innova, book two of them today itself"!
I laughed like hell reading this phrase. Just the way you put up the phrase gave me giggles. Absolutely this kind of mentality has to change.

Forget innova getting agressive or something as such because one thing I've noted from their recent developments (or rather no developments from past 10 years) with cars like Innova or Fortuner is that they are taking us Indians for a ride with the 'T-Badge' and showing their arrogance. It sans almost all features for the price we pay. Even a Ford EcoSport has 6 airbags!

For a product that offers air filled chips(Lay's) like car that sells like nuts for what? I am yet to get any safety rating for this car? It is 5 star rated? Can someone please confirm on this?
Old 2nd October 2013, 20:54   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
For a product that offers air filled chips(Lay's) like car that sells like nuts for what? I am yet to get any safety rating for this car? It is 5 star rated? Can someone please confirm on this?
All you get whan you google 'Toyota Kijang Innova crash test rating' is a small pic-

2014 Toyota Innova Facelift - Now Launched!-toyota-kijang-innova-crash-test.jpg

Toyota has not released the ratings, though they have done the test. That gets my evil mind thinking - what are they hiding from us? They have revealed the ratings of their other cars like the Corolla and Prius. Then why not this "bull dog's" ratings?
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 20:58   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota's pricing is seriously baffling for the type of equipment they come along with. With cars like those from Hyudai's stable, XUV and Ecosport, the Indian consumer is gradually bound to realise that the other car makers are offering a lot more equipment at a lot less price. Only then Toyota might start pricing it more aggressively.
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:10   #125
BHPian

OMG. whatz really happening with indian car buyers. They want chrome everywhere.
Itz really sic, faux chrome is present in all cars (starting from basic to luxury ones).
When will this chrome madness end.
Itz like person smiling showing boldly all his polished teeth, without actually smiling or worst no smile.
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:29   #126
Senior - BHPian

Toyota seem to have no passion in their design. Agree that the cars we buy should be reliable but the should also look good. Do you think the Hyundai stable are not reliable. They are reliable and are terrific from a design point of you. Agreed Toyota have never made the best looking cars,but considering their recent designs of the Altius,Ethios and now the facelift Innova they seem to be going backwards.
Not long before the customers start feeling let down by Toyota's pricing. 18 lakhs is ridiculous for the Innova with hardly any features. ₹50,000 more would buy you the fully loaded Elantra Diesel in manual guise.
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:30   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Toyota has not released the ratings, though they have done the test. That gets my evil mind thinking - what are they hiding from us? They have revealed the ratings of their other cars like the Corolla and Prius. Then why not this "bull dog's" ratings?
Going a little off-topic to answer your question:
Cars like Corolla and Prius are designed with developed markets (such as US or EU) in mind. They cannot get away with cars that score low on safety tests. I guess it is mandatory to reveal the safety ratings of the cars there. Even if it isn't, people are informed enough to look at the safety ratings before buying a car.

Innova is developed for and sold in developing countries. These countries, especially India, have no rules on safety. People prefer gizmos and gadgets that can be shown off in front of family and friends. No one can show off crumple zones and deployed airbags you see!
rohanjf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2013, 21:32   #128
BHPian

Quote:
All you get whan you google 'Toyota Kijang Innova crash test rating' is a small pic-

Attachment 1147053

Yes I am completely baffled about the fact that there is no data related to safety rating of Innova. But I am stressing so much on the safety is because of the amount we are paying for this car.
Old 2nd October 2013, 23:36   #129
BHPian

While I believed that the Innova is overpriced ever since I considered it for the first time in 2010 when the top end retailed for 13.5 lacs in all these years it has gone from strength to strength in sales with really no signs of slowing down irrespective of the competition coming up with new launches (ertiga, duster, XUV, etc.). For me it's very simple the Innova has ample space for 8 people and then some luggage. Infact there is no better 7 seater than this vehicle in the market today and hence it sells irrespective of the underpowered engine and outdated design. There is just no alternative! Period! It's why I am even considering it irrespective of the 4 lac price increase in 3 years! (I need a 6 seater like now!). Of course then there is that excellent resale value as well.

Have to agree though that there are way better vehicles to plonk 17-18 large ones on!
Old 3rd October 2013, 09:37   #130
BHPian

New Innova Z variant interiors

2014 Toyota Innova Facelift - Now Launched!-new-innova-11.jpg

2014 Toyota Innova Facelift - Now Launched!-new-innova-33.jpg
Old 3rd October 2013, 10:05   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline gtr r34 View Post
New Innova Z variant interiors
Good to see that dirty yellow giving way for black. Hope its a piano black finish. Looks like a wood grain finish from the photos.

The new pricing looks really ludicrous though!
Old 3rd October 2013, 10:24   #132
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2013 at 16:18.
skyline gtr r34 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd October 2013, 12:15   #133
BHPian

The 'refreshed' Innova with the 'ridiculous' pricing reminds me of some one shooting himself on the foot!

I genuinely envy the people who bought the 'un-refreshed' version!

Last edited by GTO : 23rd October 2013 at 16:18. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 3rd October 2013, 12:23   #134
Senior - BHPian

Cannot believe people are ready to shell out 1.8 million for an Innova.
Its good news for existing Innova users. Now I regret my decision of buying Xylo. If I had bought an Innova in 2009, I could have sold it today at the same price or with a not bad margin .

Again Toyota is returning to its Qualis days under-estimating Indians by changing grills and adding some switches here and there?
Old 4th October 2013, 07:41   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Cannot believe people are ready to shell out 1.8 million for an Innova.

Its good news for existing Innova users. Now I regret my decision of buying Xylo. If I had bought an Innova in 2009, I could have sold it today at the same price or with a not bad margin .
jacs, listen to yourself to get the answer. You regret not buying the Innova due to excellent resale value. Maybe, one reason why you didn't buy Innova in 2009 was because it didn't look VFM back then. That's exactly what Toyota wants the prospective customers to think. They protect resale value of the sold cars like a company protects the stock price.

And so, Innova is a very low risk proposition for a new customer now. Even if one spends so much money right now for so little, they can get most of it back when they sell the car. And it will be run without any trouble during that period. That's exactly the thinking which drives more people towards the Innova more than anything else.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks