Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2013, 17:47   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

X3s to provide 'Secure Assistance' to BMW Owners in India

X3s to provide 'Secure Assistance' to BMW Owners in India-bmw-secure-assistance.jpg

BMW announces the launch of ‘BMW Secure Assistance’ (road side assistance) across India.

A specially-equipped fleet of 17 BMW X3 Customer Service Vehicles (CSV) across the country will provide roadside assistance to BMW owners in need of help. The fleet carries professional equipment to enable the BMW technician to diagnose & solve issues.

To avoid dangerous situations while working next to moving traffic, the CSV wears reflective warning decals around the car. The X3s have been designed to provide transport for up to 3 people, should they be required to leave the breakdown site.

BMW India runs a training program for Dealer staff on the technical, functional and operational usage of these vehicles. BMW India is currently working with Allianz Global Assistance (AGA) to ensure customers are provided suitable assistance in the event of a breakdown. Under Secure Assistance, AGA will continue to coordinate and monitor the breakdown situation between the customer, dealer and other relevant parties.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 18:29   #2
BHPian

Re: X3s to provide 'Secure Assistance' to BMW Owners in India

I am sure that there will be a cost, and a substantial one at that. At the same time, looking at the BMW threads, what will this team do other than provide spare gas and fix tyres? Most of the time perhaps they will coordinate for flatbeds.

P.S. Where can we get that awesome looking toolkit with drawer?
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 19:29   #3
BHPian

How do 17 cars provide assistance to the 'whole' nation? It would me more like catering to some select cities. And the cost would be stratospheric I suppose.
wantarangerover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 13:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

About time they used their own vehicles as opposed to using Boleros etc (I still laugh about the fact that a Bolero Storm came to try & start up my X1 when the battery died last year)! However, I guess this would translate to maybe one car per dealership/workshop helpline only - definitely a start but nowhere near enough.

Last edited by suman : 20th August 2013 at 13:23.
Old 20th August 2013, 13:36   #5
Team-BHP Support

I would have gone with Innova's. What happens if the X3 is going to service a car out on the highway that has broken down and develops a puncture. Will they have a spare on board for the CSV as well as the customer car.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 13:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What happens if the X3 is going to service a car out on the highway that has broken down and develops a puncture. Will they have a spare on board for the CSV as well as the customer car.
They normally have tyre inflators on board the demo cars so I guess they'll just pump air in and keep going if its just a puncture

And the customer car is expected to keep going on its runflats if its developed a cut or a tear
Old 20th August 2013, 13:43   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
They normally have tyre inflators on board the demo cars so I guess they'll just pump air in and keep going if its just a puncture

And the customer car is expected to keep going on its runflats if its developed a cut or a tear
Yeah but only for a short distance right? Say you are 200kms away from a BMW dealership. Will the RFT's work for that distance? I remember only 80kms.
Old 20th August 2013, 13:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

There are varying opinions on this - BMW talk about a distance of 150kms at reduced speeds (http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...lat_tyres.html), I remember Bridgestone talking about 80kms or so.

Last edited by suman : 20th August 2013 at 13:53.
Old 20th August 2013, 15:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yeah but only for a short distance right? Say you are 200kms away from a BMW dealership. Will the RFT's work for that distance? I remember only 80kms.
Roadside Assistance programs given by automotive companies generally limit the coverage to, say, 50 or so kms from the city center/the dealership. Even if BMW is willing to cater "across the country", with the kind of network of dealerships they have, response time will be upwards of 6-7 hours!
Old 21st August 2013, 13:27   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
How do 17 cars provide assistance to the 'whole' nation? It would me more like catering to some select cities.
The 17 top cities & towns would easily cover 75% of BMW owners out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
There are varying opinions on this - BMW talk about a distance of 150kms at reduced speeds
I H-A-T-E runflats! Completely unsuited to India. At best, they are complimentary to a real spare tyre, but certainly not a replacement (for a spare).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A major downside is the absence of a spare tyre. Not only that, but there isn’t room for a spare in the boot either (the E60’s boot could accommodate a space-saver tyre). Good luck if you have a flat tyre mid-way to Goa (with Bombay & Goa, both, 300 kms on either side). The maximum distance that you can drive on a runflat puncture is either 240 kms (Driver + 1 passenger), 145 kms (Driver + 3 passengers) or 48 kms (Driver + 4 passengers + luggage). All of this at a maximum speed of 80 kph. I’d much rather pull over and change to a spare in 10 minutes. To add to that, if you drive the stipulated distance on a flat tyre, you will need to replace it. Cost = Upward of Rs. 20,000 each. Click here to view an interesting discussion on runflats.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks