Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2013, 21:48   #76
BHPian

Re: Nissan Terrano Unveiled : To be launched in early October

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Abhi View Post
It all depends upon competition and people' prefrences at a time point.
Earlier only suvs available were scorpio/sumo and were really cherished. I am not saying they are not aspired any more, but still some people are find them bulky and naturally Duster was a more refined and frugal suv option available since one year and hence its sales figures.
So, now you see VFM for the Duster. The goodwill of a product has a price that is not calculated on the manufacturing cost. And thats how the Duster justifies its price and so does Nissan Terrano.

Nissan wouldn't spend loads of money spinning the same car for a higher price with cosmetic changes, when everyone knows its the same Duster in wraps. There it is bridging a gap that most people talk of. To give a more premium feel to Duster. And that takes it a notch higher when compared to other SUVs in the market.

The magic carpet drive quality on various terrains and a proven engine itself gives Duster a fair advantage over others. If someone can beat that at a lower price, that is when Nissan and Renault will start offering discounts and freebees.

Last edited by HillMan : 21st August 2013 at 21:53.
Old 21st August 2013, 22:50   #77
Senior - BHPian

The Terrano's front grill and headlights has resembles the Nissan Path Finder here in the US. Attached is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Nissan Terrano Unveiled : To be launched in early October-nissanpathfinder.jpg  

tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 22:53   #78
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

But for some (minor?) differences/changes from the Duster(good for a game of 'Spot the differences' ) I'm left wondering what is the differentiation?

Even the rear air con vent (rightly mentioned as the 5th occupant repellent) issue is not fixed from the Duster experience so what's improved in the Terrano compared to the Duster ? I think it's really a great opportunity wasted (to improve on the Duster's shortcomings).

Last edited by NPV : 21st August 2013 at 22:54.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:38   #79
BHPian

Re: Nissan's Duster-based SUV, the Terrano: Full Pics are out!

Hi ,

The mighty players in our indian market Maruti , Hyundai , Toyota and Honda are yet to venture into this segment. Till then we have to tolerate vehicles such as this one which is almost the same as old duster. I feel that Nissan knows that very well and hence has produced this new avatar of the old duster in haste. I am sure it wont help them much !

Regards
Amol
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:29   #80
BHPian

The certainly is appealing with its butch looks, are Nissan planning a AT gearbox on this, as now even the micra and sunny have got CVT options?
Old 23rd August 2013, 06:39   #81
BHPian

Head lamps and grill are clearly inspired from 2013 nissan pathfinder. Front end looks much better and well proportioned compared to Duster.
Old 23rd August 2013, 09:56   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
As a Scorpio Owner for the past 5 years and in the market for a change now and fence sitting for the last 6 months with:

Duster: Rejected on looks front
Ecosport: Too small
Fortuner & Rexton : No VFM

XUV 5OO: Almost on the verge of buying but holding on account of

Terrano : Hope it looks better than Duster
Korendo : Still no news on the India launch
Sailing in the same boat. As a scorpio owner in the 7th Year and looking for a replacement, i exactly feel the same.
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:26   #83
Senior - BHPian

I had posted my wishlist with regards to improvements that I would like to see in the Terrano over the Duster here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3142284

Interiors:
Overall enhancements in fit and finish, maybe use some more modern looking components and switches (raid the Sunny/Micra bin?)

Nothing marked. If anything, the HU looks like an aftermarket fitment and the rectangular/circular vent combo looks odd. The steering looks better in the Duster, as does the overall black-beige combo IMO. Beige interiors and carpets would be more prone to dirt and hard to maintain.

Traditional placement of orvm switch and steering controls ON the steering

ORVM switch stays put and steering controls have disappeared!

Centre armrest and storage unit

Nope

Slightly redesigned central console bin to liberate more leg space in the (cramped) footwell

No change from what I see

Dead pedal
Traditional seat height adjustment lever and lumbar support adjuster
Better under thigh support for front seats
Remove that idiotic rear ac unit and free up space for the 5th passenger and a front centre console unit

Nope to the above 4

Better insulation, including rubber beading for the doors

Not sure this has been done, but chances are slim

Maybe a touch screen 2din system for the top variant

Old school unattractive 2 DIN - even the Duster gets a touchscreen now

Driving/mechanicals:
A clutch that is easier on the left foot
Improved steering feel, especially at higher speeds
Better low end response for the 110

I read that the mechanicals remain the same in the Terrano

Exteriors:
Nothing much (they'll do a bit of rebranding anyway). Just one thing- maybe use paint/plastic to fill in that gap between the C pillar and the window at the rear... an integrated window design looks better than the segregated one IMO

Looks good from the outside... definitely distinct from the Duster. Rear looks better with the new tail-lamps and front is very Nissan. Lovely alloys too. But grouses remain - C pillar-window gap still there, old school "lift" door handles, silly silver coloured handles and ORVMs.

Verdict: Hasn't really met my expectations. I don't see any justification of the 70k additional price over the Duster. If anything, they've made it less premium by removing the touchscreen HU and steering controls. I think Nissan have missed a trick here. Looking forward to a TD in any case!
Old 23rd August 2013, 11:40   #84
Senior - BHPian

not sure if this has been shared earlier, but, FYI Renault/ Dacia Duster & Nissan Terrano are rated 3-star in Euro NCAP.

Reference - http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2013...comeback-38402

Quote:
... the Dacia Duster scores a three-star Euro NCAP safety rating...
The M&M XUV500 scores 4-star safety ANCAP rating. I would rate the XUV500 (with current improvements as per ACI) better option against the Duster/ Terrano any day.
Old 23rd August 2013, 20:02   #85
Senior - BHPian

Looks are subjective and all that but looking at these pictures, it does seem to be a nice design, so Nissan has done well as far as the exterior change(s) are concerned. [Has even got that 'butch' look that some poeple want in their vehicles].

And for motoring's sake, some lovely looking alloys right out of the factory.

But their opportunity to fail is considerable, when you notice they mentioned on record that they will be priced from sub-10 lakhs 'onwards' [when Renault Duster is already considered pricey by many and their base petrol starts from 7.99 lakhs Delhi].

Name:  Nissan Terrano.PNG
Views: 3230
Size:  388.8 KB

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/21935003.cms

Last edited by k_ajay : 23rd August 2013 at 20:07.
Old 23rd August 2013, 20:41   #86
BHPian

No matter how good you made it and how much each one of us want it purely for the way it looks you can't sell this thing to us for 13-14 Lacs On-road purely because we have our options (XUV in size and Ecosport in style). Period.
gaurav_diavolo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 02:15   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
not sure if this has been shared earlier, but, FYI Renault/ Dacia Duster & Nissan Terrano are rated 3-star in Euro NCAP.

The M&M XUV500 scores 4-star safety ANCAP rating. I would rate the XUV500 (with current improvements as per ACI) better option against the Duster/ Terrano any day.
It is not as straightforward as it seems.

It lost 1 star for a missing audible seat belt reminder and another because the entry level trim lacks an electronic anti skid control, yes these are important features but it doesn't make the duster an inherently unsafe vehicle.

Rest assured the duster is a pretty well built car.
superdunkaroos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 08:59   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

If the 1 star lost is only for features mentioned by @superdunkaroos, its no big deal as these features are only seen on top end models of any cars in India.

Alto 800 is the top selling model in India, has a 0 rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdunkaroos View Post
It lost 1 star for a missing audible seat belt reminder and another because the entry level trim lacks an electronic anti skid control, yes these are important features but it doesn't make the duster an inherently unsafe vehicle.
Whats the source for your info?
You are right, the Duster is a well built car.
Old 24th August 2013, 09:49   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_diavolo View Post
No matter how good you made it and how much each one of us want it purely for the way it looks you can't sell this thing to us for 13-14 Lacs On-road purely because we have our options (XUV in size and Ecosport in style). Period.
Agreed price makes lots of choices come to us. But then there is a need angle too. While price range and cross segment gives you options, it also complicates the choices if we are not clear as to what we need.

- If for the same price one can buy an XUV (with current changes it would be good), then the person needs to note, that he would have use it for city drives as well with an FE of 11-13. And also need to lug it around every where in the city. If his needs were a frugal egine and a compact footprint, then there is a decision to make.

- If for a lesser price point, he wants to go with Ecosport, that is also a very good option, but if the person has a 5 person comfort and boot requirements, he needs to weigh his options as well.

- Please note, I am in no way advocating one vehicle versus the other. But the person in question who has to buy the car, needs to evaluate all this before he makes his choice.

- So definitely Ecosport, Duster/Terrano and XUV have their place under the sun. We just need to see how they pan out. But of course with some price sanitisation.

As regards to Duster Vs Terrano, to me it feels only cosmetic. When they announced sheet metal changes, I thought they might make it more solid. But later I realised it was not meant to be. So again its going to be a question of how it appeals to one's aesthetics, branding and sensibilities.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 10:56   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravanakumar07 View Post
Sailing in the same boat. As a scorpio owner in the 7th Year and looking for a replacement, i exactly feel the same.
I may just go in for a XUV500, before Diwali.

Dwindling between W6 & W8.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks