Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2013, 21:20   #46
BHPian

Re: 2013 Mahindra XUV500: Now Improved

Here is the Overdrive test drive of the Improved 2013 Mahindra XUV5OO. As per OD, the XUV500 is now a better vehicle than it was. Mahindra has worked on a number of shortcomings of the SUV.

The improved changes are:
  • Suspension gets new bushes and revised damping rates.
  • Braking has significantly improved.
  • Premium grease used for front drive shaft.
  • Relatively light clutch operation
  • The infotainment system has been upgraded (maps and the Bluetooth system)
More details: http://overdrive.in/reviews/2013-upg...a-first-drive/
Satshan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 13:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

Have been trying to get a TD of the XUV for sometime now, but unfortunately the timing could not match. This Sunday, on the way to Raipur had been to the M&M dealership to see the car.

During the discussion with the SA/RM I was told that there have been some 42 changes that have been made to the XUV since inception. This was a news for me as I've never come across such news and also doubt if the SA/RM is to be taken at face value.

Last edited by Sommos : 15th October 2013 at 13:01.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 21:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

By any chance did you get the list from the SA/RM whom you spoke to? Or any new thing which was mentioned by them apart from the above features?
Old 15th October 2013, 22:17   #49
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Have been trying to get a TD of the XUV for sometime now, but unfortunately the timing could not match. This Sunday, on the way to Raipur had been to the M&M dealership to see the car.

During the discussion with the SA/RM I was told that there have been some 42 changes that have been made to the XUV since inception. This was a news for me as I've never come across such news and also doubt if the SA/RM is to be taken at face value.
Sommos, can you please get the list of those 42 changes?
Since you are in the sales-cycle, they would be ready to bend over backwards to please you.
Old 17th October 2013, 13:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Sommos, can you please get the list of those 42 changes?
Since you are in the sales-cycle, they would be ready to bend over backwards to please you.
I very much doubt what you said above (in bold).
I've been trying for the last one month for a TD and they are yet to provide the same, though they call me after every couple of days. Last Sunday i was on my way to Raipur with my family. The dealership is on the way and seeing them open (Sunday is normally closed) I decided to just see the vehicle and have an initial opinion of the others in the family.

I am not a technical person, so it was no use discussing in details, but what they said involved the clutch, suspension, brake etc. all that are listed in this thread.

The above statement has raised a doubt in my mind about whether this is the right time to buy the XUV ? Or maybe I should wait for another year and let the product mature.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 22:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

Folks, When is the launch scheduled? This might just be the most VFM in its class!!
I am very positive, this SUV would have grown up significantly now.. Hoping the review will cover in detailed all the niggles reported by the existing owners!

Last edited by Equus : 21st October 2013 at 22:14.
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:09   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Basically more electronics are to be blamed for the issues with the XUV500 (I understand that clutch is another problem area of the m-Hawks) & with few of electronic features going out, it should make sense to most buyers in this segment.
I am a W8 owner from the 2011 batch. I would any day go for a W4 if its 2-3 lacs lesser.. 2 airbags and ABS was all I wanted. Most of the electronics gimmics come with their own share of head aches. You are better off fitting aftermarket accessories of your choice - Core vehicle is all you need. Getting DVD player which you can't use, getting some fancy light which you rarely use etc are not worth it..

W4 if it comes out will be a definite hit.
sheelapratosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 21:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post
I am a W8 owner from the 2011 batch. I would any day go for a W4 if its 2-3 lacs lesser.. 2 airbags and ABS was all I wanted. Most of the electronics gimmics come with their own share of head aches. You are better off fitting aftermarket accessories of your choice - Core vehicle is all you need. Getting DVD player which you can't use, getting some fancy light which you rarely use etc are not worth it..

W4 if it comes out will be a definite hit.
Totally agree. I went for W6 since their was no W4 at that time. I would anyday skip all these gimmicks like steering wheel controls, voice command etc and have a reliable mechanically safe car.
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:10   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra XUV500 W4 to cost Rs 10.99 lakh. ( ex- showroom Delhi)

Mahindra will launch a new, more affordable W4 base variant of the XUV500 .
The W4 XUV500, which is expected to be launched in the days just before Diwali, is approximately Rs 1 lakh cheaper than the W6 variant. The carmaker will achieve this low starting price for the new W4 base variant by ditching some of the features the higher W6 and W8 variants get.Mahindra has not altered the looks of the XUV500, which has always been a big part of its appeal for customers.

Mahindra also recently carried out a host of subtle improvements to enhance the way the car feels and sort out the issues the original car had. This included re-engineering the braking system to counter the complaint about noisy brakes, improving the clutch operation and improving the build quality to make the car feel tauter and better screwed together. Like the W6, the W4 will be two-wheel-drive only.

W4 variant gets is a more basic infotainment system with four speakers and CD and MP3 compatibility, and no monochrome display screen as seen on the W6 variant. It misses out on kit like rain-sensing wipers, automatic cornering headlamps, front fog lamps, telescopic steering adjustment, automatic climate control, powered wing mirrors, cruise control and steering-mounted controls.

However, features like projector headlamps, LED parking lamps, dual airbags, ABS with EBD, disc brakes all round, dual-tone interiors, tilt adjustable steering, six-way adjustable driver’s seat, and remote central locking.

Mechanically, the W4 gets the same 2.2-litre 140bhp diesel engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission

Source:ACI

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd October 2013 at 14:13.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:05   #55
BHPian

^^ so basically this is a Scorpio cannibal
Old 23rd October 2013, 18:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
And a potential people carrier. I just hope I don't see the damn yellow plates.
Old 25th October 2013, 17:48   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
It'll only cannibalise the VLX variant, not the SLE and LX, whose ex-showroom prices are a lot cheaper than 10.99 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
And a potential people carrier. I just hope I don't see the damn yellow plates.
IMO, the chances of that happening are slim. Taxi operators prefer vehicles in which 7 adults can sit without too much of discomfort. The XUV doesn't offer that.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 25th October 2013, 18:19   #58
BHPian

Good to know that they have not removed any safety features/rear disk brakes. There is no doubt that XUV becomes more VFM now.
Not just Scorpio VLX/Storme VX 4X2 but personally, this is a serious alternative to Duster also.
Old 26th October 2013, 12:09   #59
Senior - BHPian

The pricing of XUV500 is exactly what a monocoque chassis has to offer for general public with AWD SUV aspirations. I am sure if they launch the W2 variant they can blow up any product from Europeans & even the Japs. However, W4 is, in itself, a serious threat to Scorpio & Xylo (upper variants) & the W2 would mean cannibalisation of their sales.

I am inclined to praise M&M for retaining most (relevant) of the safety & comfort features on the W4 & I am sure this will help sell few hundred XUV500 more.

Hopefully, M&M keeps on working the quality & customer satisfaction proactively, unlike Tata, which needs to realise the importance of these two aspect.
CARDEEP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2013, 11:16   #60
BHPian

I had a question regarding the XUV ownership:

I have read about XUV having issues which bring the car to a halt (like gear assembly etc) although the Mahindra service is upto the mark and they change the part in warranty. My worry would be that till the time I am covered in warranty I am fine but once the warranty expires all the expenses will be borne by me and the point that these parts are failing there are chances they will fail after the warranty as well.

What does everyone think about this aspect.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks