Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2013, 19:30   #91
BHPian

Re: 2013 Mahindra XUV500: Now Improved

I'm surprised no team bhp member who currently owns the XUV has test driven the new lot. Would really appreciate of someone can take the effort and point out the differences felt. Of course, nothing like a proper team bhp review if that's around the corner(unlikely IMO).

The reviews so far have been very discouraging, no one has has been able to properly articulate the improvements, mechanical or otherwise.
avisidhu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 20:13   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
I'm surprised no team bhp member who currently owns the XUV has test driven the new lot.
The only thing that is keeping me back is the ride & handling. I thought they would concentrate to improve that, but from the reviews, looks like ride and handling as as bad as before.
Old 7th November 2013, 20:27   #93

Moderator note: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote+) instead. Thanks.

Well, today I test drove a W4 as well as a W6. All I can say is that 1L+ reduction is justified with the number of missing bells and whistles. Both w6 and w4 handled similarly. Striking point was the lacklustre look of the centre console due to the missing screen which is replaced by a plane jane digital clock. This was a deal breaker for me. But thats just me.
As per the sales guy, it would be available in silver and black. It looks the same as w6 and the missing alloys don't really make a lot of difference to me. If one goes through the list of missing features like steering mounted controls ,absence of cruise control and climate control, you "might" see my point. That is I would go for the w6(in case i dont go for an innova)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The only thing that is keeping me back is the ride & handling. I thought they would concentrate to improve that, but from the reviews, looks like ride and handling as as bad as before.
You are right. I was disappointed with the ride quality of both w4 and w6. No improvement whatsoever. Makes me sad. I actually wanted to buy it. The 11k km run demo car(w6) was full of creaks and squeaks. Not to forget the engine roars and grunts seeping through into the cabin. When I asked the reason for all the noise, M&M guy blamed it on the low volume of the music system and suggested increasing the volume. Sweet!
W4 would be nothing new w.r.t handling and ride quality.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th November 2013 at 21:01.
lovethyrev is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 00:06   #94
A.R
BHPian

Mechanical, the W4 is nothing different from the W6 or W8, isn't it? Same engine, same tune, same tranny, same suspension setup and lot of common stuff. They've just removed some of the features and reduced the cost proportionally. It still is better specced than the duster, No?

If there's one thing that M&M needs to work on the XUV on priority is the ride quality. Damn, its hard for the rear benchers.
Old 8th November 2013, 17:03   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
If there's one thing that M&M needs to work on the XUV on priority is the ride quality. Damn, its hard for the rear benchers.
Rear benchers? I find it hard to drive myself in Bangalore roads. They have a lot to improve in terms of ride quality. I am using this car for two years now and the only thing which irritates me the most is the ride quality. Simply pathetic..For those eager to buy the car.. DO A THOROUGH test for yourself and then buy. Don't go by the smart road test in Hosur road (Bangalore) or any other highway.. take it in real Indian roads..

I am in the process of selling this car. Finding a good buyer is indeed difficult. Mine is a W8 FWD and has done 17K miles in 2 years..
sheelapratosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 01:28   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheelapratosh View Post

Rear benchers? I find it hard to drive myself in Bangalore roads. They have a lot to improve in terms of ride quality. I am using this car for two years now and the only thing which irritates me the most is the ride quality. Simply pathetic..For those eager to buy the car.. DO A THOROUGH test for yourself and then buy. Don't go by the smart road test in Hosur road (Bangalore) or any other highway.. take it in real Indian roads..

I am in the process of selling this car. Finding a good buyer is indeed difficult. Mine is a W8 FWD and has done 17K miles in 2 years..
Lets not forget thats its an SUV so these things are part of package of owning a SUV. However in terms of handling nothing is close to this beast under 20 lakhs.
Old 9th November 2013, 02:58   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli

Lets not forget thats its an SUV so these things are part of package of owning a SUV.
It is soft roader with IFS/IRS. It is supposed to be comfortable. Unfortunately the Storme with solid rear axle gives a better ride. Soft roaders are meant to drive like cars and pose like SUVs.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 03:45   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Lets not forget thats its an SUV so these things are part of package of owning a SUV. However in terms of handling nothing is close to this beast under 20 lakhs.
Quite right. Its the price that justifies some of the so called "niggles".
People I have met or talked to always have a polarised view about XUV's performance. But my perception after test driving it(a demo car with 11k km and a brand new XUV with 15km on the odo) three times in two days on different roads and test-driving innova the same day is-

XUV positives-
Price(relative)
Looks (again its love or hate)
Centre console looks nice at night
Seating and stance.
Intelligent car(yet not completely niggle free)
Horsepower can be felt and tamed.
Road presence(yes definitely)
Pretty speedometer.
Liked the staff(test drove with the GM,nice dude)
Features make you smile.
W4 variant neat Duster's price

Negatives-
Kinda overdid the designing
Not as predictable to drive(maybe nitpicking)
Bodyroll(slight but thats fine)
Plastics could be much better
Squeaky seats
Ride quality not top notch
Steering mounted control buttons were hard to press and not as tactile(but you get used to it)
Difficult third row travel is very tiring
Clutch gives in too easy(personal preference)
Deadpedal was missing(not 100% sure)
Bootspace

Great car nonetheless. Would buy it if its third row had been tad bit comfortable and had simpler exteriors. So I need a decent 7 seater. Hence, Innova.
lovethyrev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 11:45   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is soft roader with IFS/IRS. It is supposed to be comfortable. Unfortunately the Storme with solid rear axle gives a better ride. Soft roaders are meant to drive like cars and pose like SUVs.
Softroaders or Monocoque SUVs are not just to pose like SUVs, but, do almost 50-60% of the tasks that a ladder on frame SUV does. These can be ideal for farms, slushy environment where the cars can get struck, handicapped where the terrain gets rough or need to tow loads. These are ideal for most users unless the driver comes across rough terrain &/ or the vehicle has to perform labourious tasks.

But, these are also supposed to be comfortable on road than ladder frame SUVs, where, however, the Safari/ Storme beat it easily.
Old 9th November 2013, 13:51   #100
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A Biased Take

It is amazing how what was once perceived to be a VFM product (XUV) considering the competition then (Aria & Fortuner) is now seen to be a bit expensive with introduction of more options by the competition.

For all the XUV's claims to be an SUV how many would really be AWD sales surely we are talking about lower single digit values. But then the number of Storme 4X4 units too are not necessarily much higher given that it is just the VX variant that come with this option. Infact after the automatic variant introduction in the Fortuner am sure that 4X4 to an even reduced extent as opposed to when it was available by default.

The Duster would hold it's own against the XUV quite well especially when one compares with the non 4X4 variants which are the big big majority.

The EcoSport with it's high ground clearance and higher water wading depth would perform as well.

So while there is a lot of reference to the SUV'ish capabilities of the XUV with it being a softroader with a Mono chassis vs some others with a ladder frame chassis are we all not going overboard is it much more than a stylish vehicle when in non AWD format as far as SUV capabilities are concerned.
Old 9th November 2013, 14:36   #101
BHPian

XUV is a premium vehicle and expectations from it will naturally be premium. The expectations from a Bolero and a XUV are totally different. Scorpio was launched a decade ago and in that time Mahindra have had so much time on their hand to catch up in terms of Ride, Handling, Braking and general fit and finish.

I am a huge fan of Mahindra for their sheer perseverance to change their image from a tractor/jeep maker to the position they are in today where they have dared to attempt a premium product like the XUV. Having said that Mahindra seem to have got their focus a tad skewed in my opinion. Instead of focusing on features they should have pinned their attentions towards the basic fundamental issues.

Innova is what it is today not because of its features rather for its bullet proof reliability, impressive road manners, a near perfect compromise between handling and ride, top class fit and finish, the quality of materials used especially in the interiors which seem to last forever backed up by good after sales service and support.

Getting off the blocks is just the beginning and if XUV has to sustain, if not improve its numbers Mahindra have to first and foremost sort out the fundamental issues like juddering/vibration under hard acceleration, a hard suspension, improve the bite/effectiveness/modulation of the brakes and make the suspension as noise free as possible.

Going by the reviews the much improved XUV has not undergone any major changes to address the issues. More was expected from Mahindra than changing suspension bushes and using a different oil for lubrication.

Scorpio has a limitation with a poor track to wheel-base ratio but with XUV Mahindra have a very good template to improve handling and ride issues. I just think Mahindra got caught up with electronic issues so much that the basic mechanical things were not given much importance in my opinion. The launch of W4 variant alone is not going to be enough Mahindra needs to have a thorough look at the mechanical template of the car and if they do that they can continue to laugh all the way to the bank.
needforspeed88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 17:51   #102

As a recent owner of W4 model (moved from Ertiga VDi) I feel, better ride quality on bad roads (may be due to larger wheels). As much 'fat' was removed wrt W6/W8 models, but little 'muscle' was also removed in this trimming excercise. Basic elements like USB interface on the OEM ICE is what people would expect in a 13L+ OTR car. If mahindra does not intend to provide that, atleast they should have provided a 1/2 DIN slot to fix an after market ICE :(
Old 4th February 2014, 21:36   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradeew View Post
As a recent owner of W4 model (moved from Ertiga VDi) I feel, better ride quality on bad roads (may be due to larger wheels). As much 'fat' was removed wrt W6/W8 models, but little 'muscle' was also removed in this trimming excercise. Basic elements like USB interface on the OEM ICE is what people would expect in a 13L+ OTR car. If mahindra does not intend to provide that, atleast they should have provided a 1/2 DIN slot to fix an after market ICE :(
I agree with you that they should have added USB in this day and age.

Anyways, you can add single din system. Just remove the clock and put in a system there. You can disconnect the CD player thats provided and start using your new single din system with USB.
Old 4th February 2014, 22:57   #104
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, you can add single din system. Just remove the clock and put in a system there. You can disconnect the CD player thats provided and start using your new single din system with USB.
This clock seemed embedded in design and one have to cut the din frame to install CD Player. Also, mahindra sales man told me installing after market system will void the warranty. I insisted what If I don't touch the wires. He said still it will void the warranty! So, If you are planning aftermarket installation, take warranty thing in writing from the dealer or you will risk loosing your warranty.

I agree with Pradeew, they should have left DIN empty for after market ICE and saved few more bucks on the player and center console design changes.
Old 11th February 2014, 13:52   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Agree with nitinralli. Handling of XUV is topnotch. And no, my benchmark for saying this is not "boats" but the Linea that we had in our family which is unbeatable in hadling.

Ride at higher speed is also very very good. It's the ride at very slow speed over potholes that ignites such debates.

Comparing XUV, even the lowest variant W4 with Dusters and EcoSports is like comparing Apples with Oranges (anaemic wanna be SUV with sub-4 meter length and 5-seaters). It's like comparing a B+ segment hatch with entry-level C segment sedan !! In that case, going extreme, it can also be loosely mentioned "a Pulse/ Figo with a higher GC and may be a bit different chasis/ tyres" (not technically accurate but then alas, amidst all kinds of comparisons going on, why not this as well! )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks