Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2013, 11:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

2013 Mahindra XUV500: Now Improved

As per ACI report (refer link - http://www.autocarindia.com/News/354...-improved.aspx), M&M have worked on to improve their flagship product XUV500 on few (albeit previously sticky) grounds to render an improved new XUV500 for buyers.

The changes are as under:
1. M&M has upgraded the whole brake system with better quality brake pads that improve feel and don't groan when used constantly
(ACI Verdict - The brakes now work noiselessly and are quite effective. The top half of the pedal travel still feels spongy & hence, the brakes lack initial bite);

2. M&M has also worked with clutch supplier Valeo to improve the reliability of the oil seals and improve clutch operation.
(ACI Verdict - M&M still needs to work on as clutch operation is still not as progressive as we would have liked, & you have to concentrate to engage the clutch smoothly. Plus, there’s still a fair amount of torque steer under hard acceleration which tugs at the steering wheel);

3. Improvement in perceived build quality - The latest Mahindra XUV500 feels tauter & much better screwed together. M&M has worked hard on eliminating squeaks & rattles by carefully matching different materials & panels on the dashboard and interior trim. But, what has really improved the torsional stiffness of the Mahindra XUV500 is closer spot welds in the body-on-white;

4. The suspension too feels more pliant thanks to better bushes, which have taken the harsh edge out of the ride.
(ACI Verdict - The Mahindra XUV500 still lags behind its rivals in terms of overall dynamics);

Regarding ducking the SUV Tax levied by the Government, M&M has achieved all by basically done no major changes.

Quote:
M&M previously used the European 'Arc' system to arrive at a 200mm ground clearance, which undoubtedly looks good on the spec sheet of an SUV. However, in addition to the European system of measuring ground clearance, the regulatory authorities also accept another method which is by measuring the distance from the lowest point of the car to the road. By simply switching to this way of calculating ground clearance, M&M dropped 30mm to bring the XUV500’s clearance to 170mm. A re-profiled stone guard which, in effect, is the lowest point of the Mahindra XUV500 lowered the ground clearance by another 10mm.
CARDEEP is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 11:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: 2013 Mahindra XUV500: Now Improved

It is good to see that the XUV is becoming a better product by the day. Seems like they have taken note of the biggest pain points such as brakes and general build quality.

However there were issues in the on board software running application on which we do not have any updates. Hopefully they have addressed it as well. A clever way of getting around the ground clearance law by changing design of certain parts without affecting a lot in terms of performance on rough surfaces.

Hope all these finally get it back to its high perch in sales that it ruled for some many months since its launch and becomes a regular bread winner for M & M like its sibling Scorpio

Last edited by girishglg : 21st August 2013 at 11:48.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 12:30   #3
BHPian

Definitely welcome these changes and the effort from the company.
Also goes to prove that there will be version 2.0 of products from the stables of almost all manufacturers which are better than their predecessors.

But then, for a buyer who is quite conscious / concerned about small issues which crop up, and cannot put up with them, is it advisable to wait for the Ver.2.0 or stick to already established products (those which crossed the 1st versions)?
karpusv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 13:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

This stone guard for ground clearance is comical. What next? A 300mm GC hard core offroader hanging a "truck wala shoe" 160mm from the ground to get 160mm GC

But then, when you make stupid regulations, you get such brilliant ideas.
tsk1979 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 16:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: 2013 Mahindra XUV500: Now Improved

One thing that Tata needs to learn from Mahindra is the way they react to market data and make the product better/more successful.

The Aria never clicked, Storme is doing okay. What does Tata do to get over hurdles? Nothing but sit on their but and watch their brands get blown to smithereens.
4x4addict is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 16:21   #6
BHPian

Definitely a welcome step. Though they have replaced older vehicles with new brake kits/clutch assemblies etc.. Fixing the problem once and for all in the design will go a long way in regaining the credibility.

Though there are different alternatives these days (Though at different price points/capacities - such as Duster/Terrano etc..), For the 15-16 lac range, I still don't see any credible alternative - Again.. Spare me from compating XUV with a Duster..

Steps such as these will definitely help M&M regain some confidence and do better. I also see them making some proactive calls to old owners of XUV to offer some goodies such as free AC cleaning, Interior cleaning and Wash..
Old 21st August 2013, 16:28   #7
Team-BHP Support

Is the XUV 2.0 (if it can be called that) version coming in black ORVM's for their W8 models in white? Just saw one.
Old 21st August 2013, 16:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the report.
I would like to know if the said changes are already in effect for cars booked currently(month delivery?) or will they take effect in the near future, If so by when? Or are the changes meant for a facelift model entirely?
My family would like to purchase a 3rd car and this is one of many we have our eye on.
Old 21st August 2013, 17:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Is the XUV 2.0 (if it can be called that) version coming in black ORVM's for their W8 models in white? Just saw one.
That's surprising and interesting. I think something is up with Mahindra. Haven't been able to get the prices for the XUV500 from their site since morning.
Old 21st August 2013, 17:15   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
1. One thing that Tata needs to learn from Mahindra is the way they react to market data and make the product better/more successful.

2. The Aria never clicked, Storme is doing okay. What does Tata do to get over hurdles? Nothing but sit on their but and watch their brands get blown to smithereens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Definitely welcome these changes and the effort from the company.
Also goes to prove that there will be version 2.0 of products from the stables of almost all manufacturers which are better than their predecessors.

But then, for a buyer who is quite conscious / concerned about small issues which crop up, and cannot put up with them, is it advisable to wait for the Ver.2.0 or stick to already established products (those which crossed the 1st versions)?
1. Yes, TATA needs to be more responsive to market demands.

2. The ARIA failed on the price count and the fact that the average SUV (read village bumpkin and have-money-will-buy types) buyer wants a butch looking vehicle, not a docile car-like looking crrosover. Over priced examples are the Ford Fiesta and the Nissan Terrano (if priced at a premium to the over priced Duster).

I would call that sticking to your ethics and principles rather than use just any street smart techniques to achieve your sales targets. tsk's comments reflect the shallow nature of M&M's attitude. Not that the XUV sales soared after the 30K discount was offered due to this gimmick.

The Storme is doing very well, and going by the problems reported in this very forum, speaks of a mature product from TATA.

The XUV V2 speaks of a similar story of the initial Indica and the bug-fixed V2 launched later. TATA did not repeat that mistake again, except for the Nano wiring harness replacement (it underestimated the Indian buyer's ideas).

Consider the ARIA, the Storme, the Sumo Gold.. they are all matured products and the first will need a push with the pricing, the second with some real-dirt marketing (off-roading) whilst the third does not need any marketing, the product sells for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This stone guard for ground clearance is comical. What next? A 300mm GC hard core offroader hanging a "truck wala shoe" 160mm from the ground to get 160mm GC

But then, when you make stupid regulations, you get such brilliant ideas.
@tsk, thanks for that comment, close to what I had in mind (a lemon with a couple of green chillies)
Old 21st August 2013, 17:24   #11
BHPian

Good to see Mahindra plugging away. At least from this board what we have seen is a persistent effort from Mahindra to address customer issues and improve the product.

Given the number of complaints, indifference and sometimes arrogance from other automakers and dealers this is a huge step forward. Of course some folks have simply given up dealing with the chinks in the XUV and moved on but there are others who have soldiered on, done thousands of kilometres niggle free and given us great travelogues.

I like the base of this product but the design to me never worked. I hope Mahindra are already working on the next generation with a more refined design that compliments this base.

Less squarish, more curvy would be a welcome change. For instance more more rounded horizontal rather than vertical indicaish rear lights would improve the look. I like VWs design language, look at the new Taigun, nothing complicated they keep things simple, and then can iterate on top of that, rather than jump into some polarizing design.
Old 21st August 2013, 19:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

This is my take on the whole V2 version of XUV.

I dont seem to see what exactly did they eliminate. They say, clutch still lacks that feel, brakes still spongy, Gear shift still notchy, still torque steer and suspension feels better but thats how they do initially, its only after few runs that you get to see their real side, so this too seems unsolved.

So except for tightening few nuts and bolts (which again needs to be seen in long run as initially older XUV held it parts), what "zero-defect" vehicle did they bring.

@Mods: Sorry we started talking on this topic in Niggles thread, so i pasted this comment of mine here where it belongs.
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2013, 20:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Good initiative and if they have really tightened their QA process, it is highly appreciated!

Once they have made the process improvements, if they use it for PR effort, nothing wrong with it. However, if it is only PR exercise then the Customer is not so gullible in today's world.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 11:23   #14
Senior - BHPian

The whole effort of improving their products by listening to the customers is welcome.
But one thing that I could not understand was the GC issue without M&M actually doing anything. The 160mm GC of the XUV is even less than most of the sedans and the hatchbacks sold in the country.

In the future when we purchase a vehicle we need to ask whether it is "Indian System of GC" or any other (say European) system. Or will there be two different spec sheets for the XUV; one for the government and the other for the public.

Though I firmly believe Mr. PC will not allow this sort of duty evasion to happen.

Last edited by Sommos : 22nd August 2013 at 11:25.
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:55   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

While it is great to know that Mahindra is actively trying to resolve issues within their cars based on customer feedback, this would have been a great time to also launch/include the following:
- A desperately needed A/T variant. There is a growing demand for A/T vehicles, and even in this particular segment.
- I would have loved to see the addition of a few more features, like a Sunroof. Mahindra is planning a W4 variant, but would have liked to see a W10 variant priced at a small premium over the W8 with the sunroof and additional features.

Most Viewed