Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2017, 11:01   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
F10 has always been considered as one of the best handling cars. The G30 is even better.
I hope that's a typo and you actually meant the E60 is one of the best handling cars. Coming from a racing driver, I can't digest that you think the F10 is one of the best handling cars.
Sahil is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 12:36   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I was told F10 was the worst handling 5 ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I hope that's a typo and you actually meant the E60 is one of the best handling cars. Coming from a racing driver, I can't digest that you think the F10 is one of the best handling cars.
I should have been more specific. I meant the F10 was one of the best handling cars in it's segment.

I've driven pretty much all models of the F10. Dynamic Dampers transform the ride. Which sadly we did not get in India. Hence is was not as good as it can be.
Old 15th June 2017, 15:22   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingout View Post
I've driven pretty much all models of the F10. Dynamic Dampers transform the ride. Which sadly we did not get in India. Hence is was not as good as it can be.
As a previous owner of the E60, the F10 530D only impressed me with it's added punch.
The steering and suspension were still not upto the mark unfortunately; and all reports suggest the G30 is a truer replacement for the E60 than the F10.

I sincerely hope they do not soften this up for India and take away the only attribute that will attract buyers to the BMW showrooms, as compared to the similarly priced E Class LWB.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 15:48   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
As a previous owner of the E60, the F10 530D only impressed me with it's added punch.
Case in point just this morning: We have a E60 520d and a F10 520d in the family, when I stepped down this morning both were standing and I picked the E60 without a blink of an eye.

The steering is a night and day difference.
But yes, I too have read that the G30 is the perfect blend between the E60 & F10. Fingers crossed !
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 16:36   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The steering and suspension were still not upto the mark unfortunately; and all reports suggest the G30 is a truer replacement for the E60 than the F10.

I sincerely hope they do not soften this up for India and take away the only attribute that will attract buyers to the BMW showrooms, as compared to the similarly priced E Class LWB.
Quote:
Case in point just this morning: We have a E60 520d and a F10 520d in the family, when I stepped down this morning both were standing and I picked the E60 without a blink of an eye.

The steering is a night and day difference.
But yes, I too have read that the G30 is the perfect blend between the E60 & F10. Fingers crossed !
Compared to the E60 definitely the F10 was not as good. Especially the first gen EPS combined with an overall softer ride and RFTs.

I really enjoyed driving the G30. In my personal opinion, steering feedback and driving dynamics are a step in the right direction. Felt a huge difference when I drove the F10 530d back to back with the new 530d.

I am not a fan of the weirdly shaped exhaust tips but they don't look that bad on the move.
goingout is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 16:42   #171
BHPian

Had an hour long hands-on with the G30 (520d luxury line and 530d M sport) in a basement ( so no driving experience).

First impression is that the exterior in person feels much better than pictures. Interior is awesome. Blows the Mercedes E class away in terms of quality and feel. Design is a personal choice and i preferred the ultra modern look over the regal approach of the E class.

520d feels more refined at idle and stationary rev-ups than last generation. It is specified very well ! The base model is the 520d sportline. It gets display key, LED lights (350 metre range) and adaptive dampers as standard.

The 520d luxury line gets remote parking and harmon kardon audio and Adaptive LED lights (550 metre range) over and above sport line.

530d comes only in M Sport guise and gets Nappa leather, the brilliant heads-up display ,rear screens and the creamy 3 litre engine over and above the rest.

530i specifications were not available yet.

Really feels like BMW have gone to town with making the 5 series desirable. Except for the monstrous leg space that the E class offers now, i really don't think they will be able to match the 5 series for sheer tech and quality of interiors. If this rides and handles on the indian roads better than the last gen F10, then we really have a winner on our hands. Sales numbers might still be in favor of the E class but for car enthusiasts the winner might be unanimous....the G30 !

Looking forward to the pricing and detailed reviews of this one eagerly !!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th June 2017 at 14:14.
Dieselite is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 13:37   #172
BHPian

I have a feel that the new 5 would beat the E class in terms of sales. The E, though opulent feels a size too big and cumbersome for the self driven. The LWB E would also scrape its under body while crossing scientifically designed speed breakers littered across our roads.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 28th June 2017 at 13:41.
Old 28th June 2017, 15:10   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I have a feel that the new 5 would beat the E class in terms of sales. The E, though opulent feels a size too big and cumbersome for the self driven. The LWB E would also scrape its under body while crossing scientifically designed speed breakers littered across our roads.
Almost 90% of buyers in this segment are chauffeur driven. The balance 10% will certainly pick the 5 over the E. Hence the E LWB is a clear winner and no chance will the 5 beat it in sales until and unless a 5 LWB comes in.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 16:19   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Almost 90% of buyers in this segment are chauffeur driven. The balance 10% will certainly pick the 5 over the E. Hence the E LWB is a clear winner and no chance will the 5 beat it in sales until and unless a 5 LWB comes in.
I'm really not sure whether 90% of buyers would be chauffeur driven. I guess that would be applicable for the S/7/A8 segment.

Anyways, it would be really interesting to watch the sales charts once the new 5 is launched.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 28th June 2017 at 16:22.
Old 28th June 2017, 18:23   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm really not sure whether 90% of buyers would be chauffeur driven
Even if most buyers are not chauffer driven but more than 90 % of previous generation sales of BMW used to come from 520-D variant which should be the case now as well. Now tell me advantages of buying a 4 cylinder BMW over a long 4 cylinder E-Class

BMW can only hope that people buy 5 series due to gizmos which are aplenty in the newer generation but the moment someone from family or self, sits in rear, whole equation changes.

I saw 520 as well 530 today at Dealership, interiors do feel premium but on the exterior, you can easily mistake with outgoing 5. As per sales staff, there is an appreciable difference in the way new car drives and handle. Let's see how BMW prices this tomorrow and whether they include 2-3 Year BSI complimentary on the pattern of current 7 series. They will have to price it sensibly if they need volumes else it will continue to be MB advantage.

Last edited by Turbanator : 28th June 2017 at 18:29.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2017, 18:44   #176
BHPian

I have a feeling that just to beat the E, BMW will start offering crazy discounts that they are pretty well known for.

If something is already produced and is being churned out of the assembly line, it is never easy to plan a longer/different model just to match the competition. However, offering mouth watering discounts is definitely an easier strategy.

The 5 might not seem that mouth watering when compared to the E, but if they create a massive price difference then it suddenly becomes a no-brainer for the Indian buyer.
Old 28th June 2017, 20:44   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
As per sales staff, there is an appreciable difference in the way new car drives and handle.
Most international reviews also mention that the G30 handles way better than the F10. Though their silhouettes are almost similar, the G30 looks more athletic than the barge-like F10.

Last edited by petroguzzler : 28th June 2017 at 20:45.
Old 29th June 2017, 08:46   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I'm really not sure whether 90% of buyers would be chauffeur driven. I guess that would be applicable for the S/7/A8 segment.

Anyways, it would be really interesting to watch the sales charts once the new 5 is launched.
A lot of people in this segment would be upgrading from superb/Camry etc. So they would be used to the legroom and wouldn't want to compromise.
Same for majority who are upgrading from the A4/3/C segment - most are chauffeur driven.

Plus most of these guys have a smaller car which they take out for when they have to drive. Even the S/7/A8 segment.

Personally, if and when I have to pick - I'll be torn between these two choices myself but see the E class as better for everyday needs provided it can handle the speed breakers.
Old 29th June 2017, 10:40   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Launching precisely at 12:30 PM today, the all new BMW 5-Series!

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-capture.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2017, 11:03   #180
Team-BHP Support

Anyone from Mumbai going for the 5 series launch event at NSCI tonight?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks