Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2016, 18:19   #76
BHPian

re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by raihan View Post
A short film showcasing the new 5, I wish Jason Statham was the driver!
This movie is a part of the The Hire series of movies by BMW.

Adding description from Wikipedia Page:

Quote:
The BMW film series The Hire is a series of eight short films (averaging about ten minutes each) produced for the Internet in 2001 and 2002. A form of branded content, the shorts were directed by popular filmmakers from around the globe and starred Clive Owen as "the Driver" while highlighting the performance aspects of various BMW automobiles. The series made a comeback in 2016, fifteen years after its original run ended.
Clive Owen has always been the designated driver and the movies have been made by some of the coolest Hollywood directors in recent times. To name a few- John Frankenheimer, Ang Lee, Alejandro González Iñárritu, John Woo, Joe Carnahan etc.

The series also features some of the coolest stars and cameos. I personally found the movies very stylish and tastefully filmed. However the impact on the brand value- I can't comment as such.

Here are few more:

Season 1:

Season 2:

The series came back fifteen years later and the episode you posted belongs to Season 3, marking the return of Clive Owen as a driver. I'd be surprised if this has not been discussed in TBHP earlier. These movies were made before Transporter Movies came (Which I think is the reason for you wishing Jason Stathom to be the driver). I think Clive Owen did a wonderful job too. The personal favorite is Star and Beat the devil. Star because it features my favourite car- BMW M5 and the latter one because - Gary Oldman (He's reason enough).

Last edited by LordSharan : 28th November 2016 at 18:41.
LordSharan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 15:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

New-gen BMW 5-Series has been spotted in India.

Source: Autocar India

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20161219125605_bm2.jpg

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-0_468_700_httpcdni.autocarindia.comextraimages20161219125602_bm1.jpg
dZired is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 16:42   #78
BHPian

Hello,

Would anyone have some idea on when will they launch the 5 in India? I would have assumed BMW India would take advantage of the delay by Mercedes in the E and launch this head on, but any one with some idea and also would it only be 520/30d?

They already assemble the 740Li so why not expand the range with 540i?

Thank you,
Old 28th January 2017, 20:07   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Would anyone have some idea on when will they launch the 5 in India?
Most likely Q3 2017. It takes a while to start CKD operations given the complexities in manufacturing. Unlike Mercedes, BMW does not normally import CBU at launch.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 21:30   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Most likely Q3 2017. It takes a while to start CKD operations given the complexities in manufacturing. Unlike Mercedes, BMW does not normally import CBU at launch.
Q3? I was under the impression the launch would be in April?
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 22:33   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Akshay,

I am told there will be closed room previews soon, I truly believe BMW India should just launch it and spoil Mercedes-India's party, they can launch and perhaps let deliveries happen sometime later?

I truly hope they launch the new Blue Interior it's so lovely, and Alpine White and not that Metallic White they have on 7. In M-Sport new 5 makes the E look like an Egg.
Old 29th January 2017, 11:35   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No, I don't think they can do so early, even overseas deliveries are starting from Next month.
Indian dealers were given a preview recently at Spain but the date of launch is not publicly shared.

Quote:
I am told there will be closed room previews soon
They have imported one or two cars and might show like what they did with 7 series in 2015 but it will be a while to make a commercial launch.

Quote:
I truly hope they launch the new Blue Interior it's so lovely, and Alpine White
Quote:
In M-Sport new 5 makes the E look like an Egg.
M-Girl- you are a true Auto Enthusiastic Unfortunately unlike global profile of 5 series customer, In India typical buyers of 5 series/ E- class prefers to be chauffeured or seen around driving a big car rather than buying something purely for driving. That's the reason sales of 520 vs 530 must be a factor of 100:1. But MB India will be in a difficult position no matter how they price their car without regular E-Class unless they are able to do some sort of a miracle by pricing it close to regular one. There will be customers for LWB but a large vacuum for MB India in 45-55 Lac segment ( ex-showroom).

Last edited by Turbanator : 29th January 2017 at 11:39.
Old 29th January 2017, 11:51   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesGirl View Post
Akshay,

I am told there will be closed room previews soon, I truly believe BMW India should just launch it and spoil Mercedes-India's party, they can launch and perhaps let deliveries happen sometime later?

I truly hope they launch the new Blue Interior it's so lovely, and Alpine White and not that Metallic White they have on 7. In M-Sport new 5 makes the E look like an Egg.
My guess is that 1: Right hand drive cars are only just coming onto the market and most are earmarked for the UK and 2: They are watching how Mercedes will price the E class. The extended E class will no longer be a rival for the 5 is my guess
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 12:26   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There will be customers for LWB but a large vacuum for MB India in 45-55 Lac segment ( ex-showroom).
I think they want to test the Maruti Dzire formula in this segment where extra leg space trumps everything else like looks, handling, fit and finish etc. I have a sinking feeling that they will be wildly successful. Indian customers have proven we are obsessed with just a single factor when it comes to buying cars - like sedan shape, reliability, fuel economy etc.

Mercedes will bring in regular E class as soon as they feel LWB leverage is over. BMW has a great opportunity to target the regular E class customers during this period.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 18:43   #85
BHPian

Quote:
No, I don't think they can do so early, even overseas deliveries are starting from Next month..
Turbanator,

Yes, as much as time permits away from my make up, cars it is
I truly wanted the Mercedes E to be my other car but I would not even bother check it out in LWB format, I truly am now loving BMW a lot more, the 5 has some wonderful surfacing, I wish I can get one in 540i/30d in Alpine White with the Blue Interior in Nappa and a dark ash wood trim in Gloss.

BMW India says delivery will only be after May. But I believe people here know a lot more than anyone else so any pointers would be lovely. I also wish they keep Remote Park on the top model, I am so addicted to it by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
My guess is that 1: Right hand drive cars are only just coming onto the market and most are earmarked for the UK and 2: They are watching how Mercedes will price the E class. The extended E class will no longer be a rival for the 5 is my guess
Ajmat,

I just hope they dont configure the cars based on how Mercedes-India configures, I find it so hard to understand why Mercedes must skip Memory Seats on most of their cars, I also hope BMW India will allow more choices just like they do in the 7, and not use wood trims like they do in the new E, or how BMW India has used on the X5. I truly believe BMW India could hit a home run with the new 5, if only there was any way they could rush the launch and use India as a priority market, as I believe some of the RHD South Asian markets also have deliveries starting from Feb 2017?

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Mercedes will bring in regular E class as soon as they feel LWB leverage is over. BMW has a great opportunity to target the regular E class customers during this period.
Androdev,

Would economies of scale not be hampered if they had LWB and SWB in our market? I am going to assume that only the niche models like 43/63 will come in SWB, Only my assumption nothing more.

Thanks,
Old 30th January 2017, 15:27   #86
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Akshay,

I'm going to check out the new 5-series on 2nd Feb in Delhi and will let you know the launch details if I manage to get any. I doubt they will get the Nappa Leather interior as all these premium options just push the price further.

Hoping the new boss manages to take keep customers in mind while pricing this car. 5 series has been a great seller for them and this time the pricing will be the key as most buyers today want major changes in the car (interior and exterior), which aren't very visible in this model to most non enthusiasts.
I like how the car looks, definitely love the way the old one drove. Hope this one is much much better as I regret selling my 5 in only 3 years of use, I'd love to get a new one.
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 16:41   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
I'm going to check out the new 5-series on 2nd Feb in Delhi and will let you know the launch details if I manage to get any. D
VSD,

On 2nd feb, I am going to wait for your post updates and please make me smile that day?

If you could ask them to have M-Sport cars with the blue interior? And leather covered Dashboard even if it's imitation leather? And if they can add upgraded seats and remote park and lastly upgraded Audio, Maybe a top model with B&W?

I so so can't wait for your updates, Thanks so much!
Old 30th January 2017, 17:18   #88
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
VSD,

On 2nd feb, I am going to wait for your post updates and please make me smile that day?

If you could ask them to have M-Sport cars with the blue interior? And leather covered Dashboard even if it's imitation leather? And if they can add upgraded seats and remote park and lastly upgraded Audio, Maybe a top model with B&W?

I so so can't wait for your updates, Thanks so much!
I wish they listen to us car lovers on what spec to bring to the country or at least let us spec our own cars. I think, leather dashboard will be available for sure in the top-spec as other car manufacturers are bringing their A-game with features in the luxury segment. Also, audio will most probably be B&W for top spec and 520d might have the harmon/kardon or bose.

Rest will definitely give full details in couple of days. And, if possible some pictures.

Regards
VSD
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 17:22   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
Also, audio will most probably be B&W for top spec
Regards
VSD
VSD,

I am so going to be mad if 5 has B&W considering my 730d Signature also doesn't have it, but still will gladly take the new 540i/30d over the Eggy E!

I could keep singing "Oh! Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes-Benz....." None of their Indian cars make me want to buy them and it's the only brand I've always considered as real cars.

Thank you again can't wait for your report later,
Old 30th January 2017, 18:26   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
audio will most probably be B&W for top spec and 520d might have the harmon/kardon or bose.
BMW does not partner with BOSE so not an option on any models. B&W was launched last year in 7 but only in CBU Models. Harman owns B&W, so it might come one day on CKD as well. As of now given an optional Price of about 3750 GBP for UK Market, I don't think it will come included in a 62-65 Lac Car of which 50-60% are Duties/ taxes.

Quote:
I am so going to be mad if 5 has B&W considering my 730d Signature
Chill, you are in an Indian market, here we get things only when it get's absolutely necessary for manufacturers. If I am not mistaken Harman uses some of the very high-end components on 7 series but Yes upgraded one does sound nice and different, we have one on an older Gen 7 Series signature ( B&O)

Last edited by Turbanator : 30th January 2017 at 18:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks