Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2016, 20:00   #61
Team-BHP Support

re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
but the front is way too quirky for my tastes.
will second, F10 LCI looks far sportier in front given the profile of crease on the bonnet, maybe they will come out with a change in G30 LCI front headlamps look better and so is the rear profile / lights. But they are going to have a major challenge competing with E. Better they come out with 6 cylinder engines in petrol this time and try to target their self-driven customer base.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th October 2016 at 20:04.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 13:17   #62
Senior - BHPian

Rendering of what the 2018 BMW M5 could look like.

Image source: Carscoops
Attached Thumbnails
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-2018bmwm5.jpg  

Fullrevs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 14:37   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I think they really ought to make some changes in the dash layout. It is indeed becoming too monotonous to see the same design in every car from their stable. Also the speedometer needs to change from analogue to digital. The ICE layout is also quite useless now with too many buttons which do not really serve much purpose.
The more I use mine, I quite like the new, updated dash. intuitive, clean, much better than the dash in the new C-class, and way better than the garbage distracting dashes in Tesla, S90.

The only thing i dislike in the new 5, is the front bumpers. looks wierd below the headlights. Especially in the prestige variants. too much of plastic, and empty space.
Nucliomaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 15:08   #64
BHPian

I quite like the looks of the new 5 especially from the front. The strong resemblance to the 7 is good. The interiors though familiar look classy. BMW should try and replace that instrument cluster with a technology like that of Audi (virtual cockpit).
nurni76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 23:40   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmm, so this is how it's going to be from now on :

- More squarish angel-eyes/corona rings. Suffice to say the eyes/rings are no more.

- More flat headlamp assembly directly connecting the kidney grille.

- An ice-hockey stick-like chrome lining starting from the front tyre arch going back till the rear wheel arch, accentuating the air-flow slits.

- Hornpad the size of a coin with a very slim centre spoke *facepalm*.

- A remote key resembling a t.v remote crossed with a touchscreen phone.

- Self-park assist (old tech, BMW had it in some variants ages back)

- VERY little mention of driving feel.. totally against their driving DNA and motto.

Personally I've stopped admiring BMW for style since the E90 3 (versions 1 & 2) which I deem the best ever sedans. The current 3 is massive, I almost always confuse it for the 5 in the side profile. BMW's are enormous cars these days, and their focus is in making them more and more spacious and comfortable and pleasing the Audi/Merc potential buyers to change their mind into buying a Bimmer. Bit disappointed there, also BMW shouldn't go all straight-lines and boring that VWAG is only famous for.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2016, 21:13   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Am wondering if this is an all-new car? Took a detailed look at all the pictures and the structures of the G30 & F10 sure seem awfully similar to me (in fact, identical from many angles).

BMW has only marginally increased the wheelbase. Unfortunate as I don't think the rear bench space problem would be solved.
Very true - makes you wonder why the change in chassis designation from F to G when the changes are more like a refresh. Agree with you on the looks - even the nav screen also looks like they scrimped on cost compared to the W213 E's bigger digital dash, apart from being a tacky add-on like a 2-series instead of integrated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Hmm, so this is how it's going to be from now on :

...gimmicks...+ VERY little mention of driving feel.. totally against their driving DNA and motto.

BMW's are enormous cars these days, and their focus is in making them more and more spacious and comfortable and pleasing the Audi/Merc potential buyers to change their mind into buying a Bimmer.
Yep, the F10 was already larger than the E38 7-er, so the cars have become massive. This one, to answer GTO's query, is still 1.2" longer - there's probably only so much they can increase them with every generation without getting too big for European roads. And yet packaging is not doing as good a job since interior space doesn't seem to be getting roomier. Maybe it's all those crash safety side-bars and stuff.
Activ8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 08:52   #67
Senior - BHPian

Here is the CAD renderings of the upcoming M5.

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-loejuamgn0u3aapp7bgb.jpg

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-zopdx1tf7xyn4bvkkq6w.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopnik
As already pointed out, given that the new M550i is an AWD 455 horsepower V8 monster that is quicker than the current M5, the G30 M5 is probably going to have some slightly insane performance specifications.
Source
Old 17th October 2016, 09:12   #68
BHPian

Looks like the new 5 is trying to be everything to everyone. They clearly want to tap deeper into that executive market that is usually captured by a Merc/Audi.

But they are missing something big and that is this - When you try to please everyone, you end up pleasing no one. It's almost like that Bollywood movie which has a little bit of everything to appeal to every segment of the audience. Romance, action, drama and comedy all mixed into one just to make it a commercial success.

But at the end of it, it just ends up being confusing and slightly annoying. Will it be a commercial success? Only time will tell, but this car definitely isn't something that will keep someone up at night out of sheer excitement. This will be just another car at the company parking lot. Nothing too exciting about it.
rahul_jo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 10:39   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

I will have to say I prefer the current 5 over this one. The M sport version looks decent, but the non M version looks too quirky with excessive chrome in the front end. The headlight meeting the grill looks horrible in the new 7 and its looks bad on the 5 as well. Overall stance and dimensions look similar to the F10.

Weight savings will have improved performance and dynamics. The sophisticated iDrive and tech carried over from the 7 will impress customers and is a must in this class. Interiors were never a strong point for BMW and looks like that trend will continue with the latest generation 5 Vs. E Vs. A6. The dash with its heavily driver tilted facia looks kind of asymetric and disproportionate although quality of materials look to have improved. That steering rim of the M sport version will need some big palms!!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 17th October 2016 at 11:04.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 11:29   #70
BHPian

Looks like one of Mahindra's design engineer ended up in the design team of Ze 5er

BMW needs to up the game seriously and this one will most likely not pose as great challenger to awesome looking Jag XE and Merc, not in the looks department.
It's high time BMW comes out with all new interiors, almost all BMWs look more or less same inside, especially to a layman. If I am not wrong this interior theme is around for last 7-8 years, people expect ground breaking stuff now a days.
May be, it's too much to expect but when you pay the top moolah, it should be justified by wow factor, which is seriously missing.
Acharya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 00:13   #71
Team-BHP Support

Video shows the evolution of the 5 Series over seven generations, from the E12 till the current G30. Not a very pretty picture though, as I like the earlier generations more than the recent ones.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st October 2016 at 00:15.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 09:56   #72
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Am wondering if this is an all-new car? Took a detailed look at all the pictures and the structures of the G30 & F10 sure seem awfully similar to me (in fact, identical from many angles).
Take a look at this picture from The Truth About Cars. To their eyes too, the new 5-Series looks too much like the F10.

I'm still not convinced if this is an all-new platform:
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-20172014bmw5seriesprofile_128768x461.jpg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 09:05   #73
BHPian

A short film showcasing the new 5, I wish Jason Statham was the driver!
raihan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 11:46   #74
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
It's high time BMW comes out with all new interiors, almost all BMWs look more or less same inside, especially to a layman. If I am not wrong this interior theme is around for last 7-8 years, people expect ground breaking stuff now a days.
Yes, the interior design of 3 series, new 7 series and new 5 series are similar. It would have been better if they follow the interior design theme of BMW Z4
Attached Thumbnails
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-bmwz42014interiorwallpaper1.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2016, 02:59   #75
BHPian

Originally Posted by Acharya

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Yes, the interior design of 3 series, new 7 series and new 5 series are similar. It would have been better if they follow the interior design theme of BMW Z4

While agreeing with a post saying the interior looks dated, atleast don't try to look ignorant by subsequently suggesting the adaptation of an interior that is actually from 2008 itself (E89 Z4)!

The way forward is not to go backward. And just FYI, the Z4 itself is due to be replaced by the Toyota-BMW collaborative new car (Supra/Z6), so that suggestion is a non-starter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks