Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2017, 17:58   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

As far as I can see from the manual, you do have to deactivate every time. I think this may be by design so that the claimed fuel economy can be achieved. I find the start/stop very unobtrusive on the petrol 530i and love the feature. This gives me almost as good fuel economy in my short distance commute with three signals where I have to stop 2-5 minutes each depending on the day. I manage about 8 kmpl on a 4 km commute each way which takes 20-25 minutes. Without the start stop feature the fuel efficiency can drop abysmally on painfully slow commutes like this.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2017, 21:35   #362
BHPian

Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Moderators,

Any updates on the status of the official review of the new 5 series?

Last edited by petroguzzler : 4th December 2017 at 21:37.
petroguzzler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2018, 16:16   #363
BHPian

Was just seeing the brochure for the new 6 series GT and it shows Apple Car as a feature. Whereas on my 5 series the dealer told me it was disabled for India and so it still doesn't work. Anyone know how to update the software to get it working on my 530D?
Old 20th February 2018, 18:45   #364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Whereas on my 5 series the dealer told me it was disabled for India
Don't go by SA version, first, check if 530- D is equipped with Airplay or not by decoding VIN. I believe, 5 series gets wireless Airplay so there has to be a different hardware and old kits may not support.

Last edited by Turbanator : 20th February 2018 at 18:52.
Old 21st February 2018, 00:28   #365
BHPian

I think that BMW screwed up when it comes to different variants. They should've provided the 530i in the msport trim with better kit and features. The sportline is good when viewed as the base offering but there are multiple people who want more features but with the sweet petrol engine. I was in the same dilemma while looking at the 5 series.as I wanted the sound system and headlights from the luxury line but the engine of the 30i. So in the end decided against it and decided to wait for a while.
Old 21st February 2018, 14:56   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Don't go by SA version, first, check if 530- D is equipped with Airplay or not by decoding VIN. I believe, 5 series gets wireless Airplay so there has to be a different hardware and old kits may not support.
Its the new 530D (G30) so its equipped for Apple Car play, however it doesn't show up on my menu. I can use some apps via BMW connected but not Apple car play.

Spoke to the dealer today and he confirmed that the newer 5 series cars being delivered in 2018 have Apple car play enabled, but he has no clue as to when the update will come for cars delivered just 3 months ago. It silly of BMW not to offer it on the first lot of the new 5 series, especially when they call this car a technological marvel.
Old 21st February 2018, 18:45   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its the new 530D (G30) so its equipped for Apple Car play
I know what you are referring, first decode the Vin and check if you see Airplay listed under the options then there might be an outside chance but most likely the old kits won't have it.

Quote:
he has no clue as to when the update will come
I doubt if the hardware is there at first place so unless you specifically see it listed there will be no update.

Quote:
It silly of BMW not to offer it on the first lot of the new 5 series, especially when they call this car a technological marvel.
ha ha, they will even add a soft touch and may be ventilated seats next year, that's the way they run their business. So buying a brand new BMW with Zero Discounts at Launch is a No-No.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 15:45   #368
BHPian

Sorry to sound so naive but how do i decode the VIN?
Old 23rd February 2018, 15:59   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
how do i decode the VIN?
many places, can use this one-

http://www.bimmer.work
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2018, 17:49   #370
BHPian

My 530D delivered on Dec third week doesn't have car play. The SA/ customer support is hopeless. Has anyone tried a software update?
Old 26th February 2018, 15:53   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishad.hameed View Post
My 530D delivered on Dec third week doesn't have car play. The SA/ customer support is hopeless. Has anyone tried a software update?
There is no update as yet. I decoded my VIN as per fellow member Turbanator's suggestion and it does not show Apple car play in list of features for my car. It's only the cars delivered from February 2018 that have them.

I emailed BMW about it and got a call back from one of their rep's. He gave a really stupid excuse that BMW increased prices in Feb by 1 lac so this feature was added. Further he said it can't be retrofitted in our car since they are not equipped for it. I find that hard to believe since there is no additional hardware required for it. I mean if our iPhones are already pairing via bluetooth and even the Connected apps feature is working, its just a question of updating the software for Apple car play.

Moreover it is clearly available as a $300 option in cars abroad which they can just activate from their phone or idrive system. Here's a video which shows that:

Unfortunately that option is not available to us so we just have to wait for when BMW india decides to update our cars.

Really sucks that after paying close to 80 lacs they omit a feature which is available even in Maruti cars now!!
manishk123 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 16:16   #372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
it is clearly available as a $300 option in cars abroad
That's interesting, it appears that this is a Software option rather than hardware as you can subscribe anytime. But since the connected store is not supported for purchase here, we cannot subscribe or buy this.

Going forward, I think they may launch the store with an option to buy stuff in INR & existing owners may see an option unless they specifically removed some components.

Maybe you write on BMW forums abroad and check if the cars overseas do list Carplay as an option on decoding even if someone has not paid for this feature initially?
Old 26th February 2018, 17:09   #373
BHPian

I drive my Baleno when I need Apple Cary Play. BMW India is helpless on technical queries.
Old 26th February 2018, 17:14   #374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
drive my Baleno when I need Apple Cary Play
Ha ha, but tell me what exactly does one gain from Car Play?? I have one on the Endy but have hardly used, there is no support for Maps yet and most of the relevant apps like Spotify get connected on idrive already beside you can tune into multiple internet radio channels.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th February 2018 at 17:15.
Old 26th February 2018, 17:33   #375
BHPian

Trust me, Apple Car Play is one reason if I'm driving a Baleno keeping 530 in the garage. Car play can read the texts, reply messages, use Siri much better way, make and receive calls easy. Looking forward when BMW makes connected drive possible in India.
nishad.hameed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks