Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2019, 15:24   #421
BHPian

Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Have completed a little over a year with my 530D Msport. Still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. Great power and handling, love driving it hard, even though I don't get enough opportunities in over packed Mumbai.

I didn't take any of the service packages as I found them too expensive for my kind of running. First service cost me only around 24k which was a big surprise. My Merc on the other hand always costs at least twice as much.

Also had a tire issue - Hit a massive pothole near Hajiali while cruising at around 80 kms. Not only did it cut the runflat tire but also dented my rim. Kept losing tire pressure on that wheel every 5 - 6 days so I sent it to the workshop for an inspection. I was told the tire and the rim would have to be replaced. Cost was around 80k but thankfully covered under warranty.

I did see a software update available for the car on the BMW website. Has anyone tried updating their car yet?
manishk123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 17:14   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post

I didn't take any of the service packages as I found them too expensive for my kind of running. First service cost me only around 24k which was a big surprise. My Merc on the other hand always costs at least twice as much.
Excellent!
Even I find the service packages expensive and haven't bought any for my new 330i yet. Your first service figures are encouraging!

Regarding the car putting smile on your face - I can imagine, just had my first express way drive yesterday and man 330i is surreal
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 09:18   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Have completed a little over a year with my 530D Msport. Still brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. Great power and handling, love driving it hard, even though I don't get enough opportunities in over packed Mumbai.

I did see a software update available for the car on the BMW website. Has anyone tried updating their car yet?
Completely second your point, I love the stiffness of the new chasis, its perfectly in between the E60 and F10.
The M kid looks the bit on the G30, and is a head turner, which colour do you have?
I have been equally surprised by the service costs, with my service costing me just above 18k net, I will attribute it to cheaper oil than required for the Diesel version, but on the other hand my E class even though service was around 30k (as far as I remember) was only once an year whereas in the G30 its come up in just over 6 months agreed I have done 8500km but still I fear it might eventually per annum come up to about the same if not more than the Mercedes .

I am not aware of the software update,but I'll check with the service head an revert here.
Regards
np23 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 12:23   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
After a service or when you get the car, the service requirement will be at 1 year / 12,000 kilometers. After this, depending on the usage, the interval gets updated. For example, if the car is driven mostly in bumper to bumper traffic, you can get the oil change request in 8500 km.
Mine is showing 1 year/12000km to oil change service. This is from the day I got the delivery - as you said. Does this update in steps of 1000km? Now I have done 850 km and it includes lots of city traffic + 1 express way trip at relatively high speeds and liberal use of Sport mode. It's still showing 1 year/12000km to oil change service. Hence the question.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 12:51   #425
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Mine is showing 1 year/12000km to oil change service. This is from the day I got the delivery - as you said. Does this update in steps of 1000km? Now I have done 850 km and it includes lots of city traffic + 1 express way trip at relatively high speeds and liberal use of Sport mode. It's still showing 1 year/12000km to oil change service. Hence the question.
Yes. When the kilometres are at the higher end, the service reminder decrements at 1000km steps. Then somewhere down the line, it changes to 500km decrements, and below 1000, it becomes 100km steps.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 14:22   #426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. When the kilometres are at the higher end, the service reminder decrements at 1000km steps. Then somewhere down the line, it changes to 500km decrements, and below 1000, it becomes 100km steps.

May be I didn't ask correctly. Let me try again:
If I drive 1000km and the notice decrements to 11000 does it mean I am an ideal BMW driver?

In many cases the owners finally had their service due in 8500. So the decrement from 12000 - 0 was not linear and was compressed to actually 8500 - 0. So when did you first observe that it's deviating?
Old 5th February 2019, 16:31   #427
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I drive 1000km and the notice decrements to 11000 does it mean I am an ideal BMW driver?
very difficult to predict the outcome. BTW, why do you feel that ideal BMW driver will have such a linear usage, should it not be contrary for an ideal BMW driver ?
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 16:40   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also had a tire issue - Hit a massive pothole near Hajiali while cruising at around 80 kms. Not only did it cut the runflat tire but also dented my rim. Kept losing tire pressure on that wheel every 5 - 6 days so I sent it to the workshop for an inspection. I was told the tire and the rim would have to be replaced. Cost was around 80k but thankfully covered under warranty.
How come rim and tire was replaced under warranty? Doesn't rim and tire come under the 'wear and tear' category?
Old 5th February 2019, 17:10   #429
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
May be I didn't ask correctly. Let me try again:
In many cases the owners finally had their service due in 8500. So the decrement from 12000 - 0 was not linear and was compressed to actually 8500 - 0. So when did you first observe that it's deviating?
I have not exactly measured how the service reminder distance reduces with actual distance. In fact, as I have taken the BSI+, I have not worried about the service intervals at all. I just drive the way the road permits me to drive and take it to service when the car asks me.

Also, as Turbanator has rightly pointed out, if you are an ideal BMW driver, you should have the highest level of non-linearity in the service interval prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
How come rim and tire was replaced under warranty? Doesn't rim and tire come under the 'wear and tear' category?
BMW Secure (which is provided by BMW apart from the regular insurance policy) covers damages to tires and alloys.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 17:42   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
Completely second your point, I love the stiffness of the new chasis, its perfectly in between the E60 and F10.
The M kid looks the bit on the G30, and is a head turner, which colour do you have?
Regards
Mediterranean blue with ivory seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Sorry my bad! I meant it was replaced under insurance since i had the full cover. I only had to pay around Rs.8000.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 18:04   #431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
very difficult to predict the outcome. BTW, why do you feel that ideal BMW driver will have such a linear usage, should it not be contrary for an ideal BMW driver ?
Hahaha

Quote:
I have not exactly measured how the service reminder distance reduces with actual distance. In fact, as I have taken the BSI+, I have not worried about the service intervals at all. I just drive the way the road permits me to drive and take it to service when the car asks me.

Also, as Turbanator has rightly pointed out, if you are an ideal BMW driver, you should have the highest level of non-linearity in the service interval prediction
Well, throughout my buying journey, BMW was trying to sell me the 320d. No 330i available for TD or even in the stock to take a look. So I am confused who is an ideal BMW driver
Old 5th February 2019, 18:29   #432
BHPian

After having had the car for a considerable period of time, and the first service done.
I think it'll be beneficial if the G30 owners make a primaface list of the Positives and Negatives they've experienced in their initial year of ownership.
I will like to begin and would request others to add in:-

Pro's:-
1)Engine Performance :-30i Engine is a gem it's super silent when cruising or in town and when pushed hard has solid punch and sound.

2)Engine Efficiency:-The icing on the cake is Fuel Efficiency, I get on average 9kmpl in Delhi and 15 on the couple of highway runs I have had. (I've had the E90 325i previously and such fuel Efficiency from a German sedan was unexpected)

2)Chassis:- I think it is a beautifully set up chassis with a very pliant and composed ride and not the floaty ride which deterred me in having much fun in my F10 530d which felt to Japanese (similar to my accord especially on undulations) in my liking.

3)Interiors:- The quality of material is definitely a step above if not two, especially the steering wheel leather, the older steering wheel just felt a bit too average on leather quality to me personally. I am happy atleast BMW allows you to do some level of customization on the interior colour part, I have the Cognac interiors with Imperial Blue Exteriors which create a lovely contrast in the vehicle (beige roof lining, Cognac base and black foot-wells and dash), a friend who on my suggestion took the Dark Blue interiors with Imperial white is the best combination in the 5 right now, too bad there are limited stocks because of the huge demand of beige and followed by cognac here.

4)Switch-gear Ergonomics:- Coming from any BMW you are right at home and that's how it should be, I do not want to go through touchscreens to change my Air Con Temperatures.

5)Features:- This is one area where I think the 5 series has really moved forward, I admit I used to think that gesture control is the most over rated party trick ever but I admit it's the most useful feature I use the most often , infact I've gotten so used to it sometimes when I drive my W212 Face lift I mistakenly try increasing the volume by this, it's super convenient to change the stations/ volume/decline calls on the move without having to move your hand to the steering buttons first.
I am glad they still give a CD changer upfront (Call me old school) but was easier for me to save my old tracks on the Cars Hard disk directly (Another great feature).
The in-car GPS with the 3D images has to be the best OEM customization and display of MapmyIndia and I appreciate BMW has gone this length to customize it and integrate in their Idrive and Instrument Display.
The remote control for the few days you sit at the back and gesture control doesn't work is a simple yet good addition unlike previous 5 in which the remote was only reserved if you had the rear seat package.
Another small feature I find handy is that you can now choose for the ORVMs to folded out/in on locking/unlocking the car from the I drive itself without any coding.
6)Exterior Looks:-
The exterior looks have really grown on me and inspite of the increase in size it looks more compact and "tighter" than the F10 which I love, and the low stance when its parked really has an understated aggression to it. I personally prefer the Alumnium/ black trims of the sport line and M sport to the chrome of the Luxury lines but it's a personal choice.
Also the from the front seat because of the increase in the glass area, and slightly shorter bonnet length the car almost wraps around you more like the E90 if I may put so.

6)Spare wheel:-
In this world when everyone from Audi to Mercedes has shifted to RFT's I really appreciate that BMW has carved out this space for the Donut wheel in the boot which is so much more elegant and pracitcal than strapping the sparewheel on the boot. MY GLA even without RFT's has a donut wheel in the already small boot rendering the boot almost useless for any proper luggage when travelling outstation when I wopuld actually carry the space saver.

7)Sport Seats:-
I really like the front seats (Except one problem mentioned below in the cons) , the adjustable width and under-thigh support is a wonderful addition and the fact that they are much slimmer than the older one makes it feel much more roomier.

Cons:-
1)The headlights:-
The headlights (Semi LEDs) on the sport line not only do not look as good as the Full LED ones but the throw is really poor. Maybe last 3 years I have driven the W212 Face lift with the brilliant full LEDs (with those Diamonds etc) but there is no denying the fact that you often at night have to switch on the high beam (Which I personally hate) for a few seconds just to reassure yourself. Also another common problem is especially when it's overcast or raining and you are trailing a white vehicle , the headlights appear to have a bluish tinge at the top. Four of us bought the 530i here together and we all have the same blue line at the top of throw.

2)Front Seats:-
The sports seats look great, and feel good for a while but on long drives I think at this price point the omission of lumbar support is shocking, especially for a person of big built like me on my drive to Chandigarh recently I was really missing my W212's throne like seats after the drive.

3)Rear Seat Recline:-
I would attribute this to the space for the spare wheel at the back but the rear seats are now a bit too upright for my comfort.

4)Service Interval:-
Though I really appreciate the very reasonable cost of the service for the oil change etc but I think the first service at 6 months/8500km mark is just too early, though having spoken with my adviser he said the Engines while running in tend to burn a bit more oil that is why the earlier interval, will know for sure in the second service.

Posting a couple of pictures , would request other owners to add to the list
Attached Thumbnails
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-img_7949.jpg  

Last edited by np23 : 5th February 2019 at 18:42. Reason: Addition
np23 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th February 2019, 14:13   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post

Pro's:-
1)Engine Performance :-30i Engine is a gem it's super silent when cruising or in town and when pushed hard has solid punch and sound.

2)Engine Efficiency:-The icing on the cake is Fuel Efficiency, I get on average 9kmpl in Delhi and 15 on the couple of highway runs I have had. (I've had the E90 325i previously and such fuel Efficiency from a German sedan was unexpected)

Cons:-
1)The headlights:-
The headlights (Semi LEDs) on the sport line not only do not look as good as the Full LED ones but the throw is really poor. Maybe last 3 years I have driven the W212 Face lift with the brilliant full LEDs (with those Diamonds etc) but there is no denying the fact that you often at night have to switch on the high beam (Which I personally hate) for a few seconds just to reassure yourself. Also another common problem is especially when it's overcast or raining and you are trailing a white vehicle , the headlights appear to have a bluish tinge at the top. Four of us bought the 530i here together and we all have the same blue line at the top of throw.

4)Service Interval:-
Though I really appreciate the very reasonable cost of the service for the oil change etc but I think the first service at 6 months/8500km mark is just too early, though having spoken with my adviser he said the Engines while running in tend to burn a bit more oil that is why the earlier interval, will know for sure in the second service.

Posting a couple of pictures , would request other owners to add to the list
Thanks for the candid review! It helps.
As a I drive the same engine and gearbox but in another car (330i), I have quoted above the points that are common:

- Engine performance: Yes, nice engine it is. Terrific acceleration. Just for the records: there is a diesel like clatter upon start-up that diminishes after say 30 sec. From what I have read, it's because of direct injection. On hind sight, the 1st gen 1.8 TSI in my Laura had it, but the 3rd gen 1.8 TSI in the GTI doesn't!

- Engine efficiency: Yes, it's very efficient.

- Head-lights: Not sure what is semi-LED. The 330i has full LEDs but the high-beam brightness is lower than I had expected.

- Service Interval: My ODO crossed 900km last night and this morning the service interval started showing 11000km. I am still running in so, haven't really pushed the engine much so looks like 12000km interval is just fictitious. Rather than such a gimmick, BMW should have just advertised 8000km service intervals. In fact, this really makes me admire VW. GTI is an equally performance oriented car but oil change service interval is 15000km and I did my first annual oil change service at 10700km simply because I couldn't driver her more than that in the year!

Two more points:
- Engine start/stop: this is another thing that's way better implemented in the GTI. In the 330i, there is a distinct vibration when this kicks in and if I shift to N, engine restarts. This is extremely weird. In the GTI, engine restarts only when I shift to D and left off the brake pedal.

- Head Up Display: Brilliant feature and makes me forgive BMW for a lot of things!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 6th February 2019 at 14:22.
Old 6th February 2019, 15:55   #434
Senior - BHPian

530i owners, do you run on 91 octane fuel or 95?
Old 6th February 2019, 16:41   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
530i owners, do you run on 91 octane fuel or 95?
I run a mix of 99/97/91, no particular order but I try getting 99 whenever possible, though the fuel lid says 91 unlike my Mercedes which says 95 rec so I don’t think there’s any performance problem.

Also for out station trips, BMW gives some cans of additives to be added if getting refuelled from somewhere not so “perfect”
np23 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks