Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2019, 17:13   #451
BHPian

Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Hi BHPians, am in a little bit of a dilemma, I’m very keen to pick up a new 5 this June and have been offered really good discounts by the dealers- 520d (around 7L) 530i ( around 9L).
The car will be self-driven in the city for short distances and while making the decision have to keep in mind that I have a 2017 X1 sdrive20d (F48) as well. The price of both diesel and Petrol is coming out to be exactly the same with Petrol M sport being a little cheaper. Which one should I go for considering:

1. Car is city-driven in Gurgaon 90% of the time.
2. My father is finicky about mileage.

Also what mileage can I expect in the city, with a slightly hard driving habit with the 530i?

I will be replacing my 2017 i20 Asta for this.
Old 28th May 2019, 17:40   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post
The car will be self-driven in the city for short distances and while making the decision have to keep in mind that I have a 2017 X1 sdrive20d (F48) as well. The price of both diesel and Petrol is coming out to be exactly the same with Petrol M sport being a little cheaper. Which one should I go for considering:

Also what mileage can I expect in the city, with a slightly hard driving habit with the 530i?
For short distances, petrol would be better as it warms up quicker, and the performance would bring a smile to your face every time you take it on the expressway.

That being said - expect the 520d to be 2kmpl-3kmpl more fuel efficient. I'd expect an FE of around 7-7.5kmpl for pure city driving in the 530i, and 9.5kmpl for the 520d - at least by Bombay standards.

What could work to your advantage: cheaper price of 530i should nullify the fuel difference, and better resale value keeping in mind the trouble older diesels have in NCR.

Last edited by lamborghini : 28th May 2019 at 17:41.
Old 28th May 2019, 18:13   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The price of both diesel and Petrol is coming out to be exactly the same with Petrol M sport being a little cheaper. Which one should I go for considering:

530i anyday!

Mileage won't be too bad as it is a 2L engine, I would presume 7-8kmpl with a mixed driving style in city

Better engine and better discount. Which variant of the 530i are you getting? I believe the cheaper sportline has been discontinued

What is the discounted ex-showroom price?

Last edited by manson : 3rd June 2019 at 16:35. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 18:24   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
What is the discounted ex-showroom price?
Hi Sahil, I'm getting the M sport variant of the 530i.

The discounted ex-showroom price comes out to be 50.20 L.

Last edited by manson : 3rd June 2019 at 16:34. Reason: Trimmed quote.
aman-bh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 01:48   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The sport line variant was really good value for discounted 50L OTR Mumbai. They have now discontinued it to raise the price levels of the 5 to leave enough room for the new 3 series to come in. However, this strategy has never worked and the 5 will continue to cannablise the 3 in the long run. Even at launch most buyers would pick a discounted 5 over a full price 3.

Last edited by Sahil : 29th May 2019 at 01:50.
Old 29th May 2019, 08:31   #456
BHPian

Quote:

How much does it work out to on road ?

Have you driven the 530i m sport ?
Old 29th May 2019, 09:09   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I will be replacing my 2017 i20 Asta for this.
I have a 530i sportline (G30). It is surprisingly good in mileage. In EcoPro mode, it gives 9KPL and Comfort mode, about 8.6 KPL in city driving. On the highways, it easy to get 12 KPL in Comfort mode for speeds of about120KPH. If you go faster than that, the mileage starts to drop.

The mileage was a bit lesser than this till the first service and improved to these levels post the first service when I had run about 8000 kms.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 29th May 2019 at 09:11.
84.monsoon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2019, 10:38   #458

Quote:
The price of both diesel and Petrol is coming out to be exactly the same with Petrol M sport being a little cheaper. Which one should I go for considering:

The new Petrol Engines by BMW are BS6 compliant engines, so Petrol would anyday be better and much much quieter as well. The 5 series Diesel top model is a 2993CC engine and loud.
Personally i just went for the new X3 Diesel due to good 211mm ground clearance, space and took delivery yesterday from Bird, a friend always got stuck during water logging monsoons in GGN in his 5 series. Diesels would be more discounted around Diwali or end of year due to being BS4. So if you can wait. Please do till Dec.

Last edited by manson : 3rd June 2019 at 16:35. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 2nd June 2019, 18:49   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddylaw View Post
Personally i just went for the new X3 Diesel due to good 211mm ground clearance, space and took delivery yesterday from Bird, a friend always got stuck during water logging monsoons in GGN in his 5 series.
Congratulations for the new X3! What was the OTR price quoted by Bird for the X3 and which variant did you pick up?

Last edited by manson : 3rd June 2019 at 16:33. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Old 9th June 2019, 06:29   #460

Quote:
Congratulations for the new X3! What was the OTR price quoted by Bird for the X3 and which variant did you pick up?
Sorry for the late response, had taken my new car for a long drive to the hills. I picked up luxuryline whie color Diesel. BMW has now got into a cartel where 4 to 4.5 lacs is the maximum what they offer.Another 50 k of you are a lixury car owner, corporate discount, etc.etc. so Mine was Noida Registration 62.3 OR. Plus three years service inclusive warranty. Let me know if you need any negotiation help.
Old 12th August 2019, 16:13   #461
BHPian

Dear Members,

Second service coming up in 1000km, any advice,update? and potential charges?
The cars only done 16000km and its only been 13 months so its almost 2 services an year which I believe completely negate the super cheap cost of the first service.
Any other G30 owner, who has already has second service done?

Further some observations at 16000km and 1 year:
The engine is something special and its beautifully suited to the character of the vehicle, and I tend to drive on average much closer the legal limits now without realising.
The chasis and body control is brilliant and miles ahead than the F10 I had .

The only thing which I dislike is the super upright back bench, its outright uncomfortable for anyone above 5'7" on longer journeys.

I swapped my vehicle for a weekend with a friends G30 530d, as we both wanted to check out the other 30 engine.
Some notes from my two days with the car:
1)Torque monster, its something special but its more an in zone car, and the ZF works harder with more changes to keep it in the small band, in comparison to the 30i wherein acceleration and overall speed feels much more relaxed unless you push it all the way.
2)Headlights, the adaptive LEDs are brilliant, really feel sad that when I bought the petrol was only available in the sport line and missed out on such beautiful looking and performing headlamps, sport line ones have a very poor throw to say the least.
3)Seats:- Comfort seats are far superior to the sports seats on my 30i, theres no comparison in there especially for a broad person like me.
4)M sport kit & steering:- Again, its rectified now but in my case the 30d looks better to drive, period.
5)NVH and vibrations:- Now this is where the 30i really shines, alright the 30d is an i6 engine an very quite by diesel standards, it's just not got the 30i's class and subtleness, theres a decent noise coming in after a petrol that is noticeable, and there is a regular slight (Very slight) vibration in the Pedals and steering, its there even on the 730 I test drove, guess it's just the science of diesel bursting engines and you can only negate science as much.
6) Fuel efficiency levels were pretty much the same around 8-9 on the MFID.
7) AC controls :- I did not think of it much, and found the buttons and knobs on mine to be more useful especially on the move.
8) HK Speaker system:- Clearly superior to the BMW Hifi in my vehicle
9)Handling:- Steering feels the same except the very faint slight undercurrent like vibration but in corners and bends,the 30i feels lighter and more eager,I don't know if it's because of the heavier front end on the 30d., or something else, but the 30i feels a tad bit more compact when driving (Might be completely psychological)

Any one else having driven both having any thing to add.
np23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 17:16   #462
BHPian

Completing almost 2 years now with my 530D Sport g30. Not really adding to the above post as they already talked about the acceleration and torquey nature of the 530D - but just wanted to reiterate, its absolutely brilliant. I put my foot down every chance i get, just to get the thrill of the acceleration. I drove the petrol too before making a decision, but that felt like just a regular car. This 3 litre diesel is something special. Whats more inspite of my heavy foot, i;m getting a decent average of 10 km per litre in city driving. Just love it. Look forward to my drive every single day.
manishk123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 09:23   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Completing almost 2 years now with my 530D Sport g30. Not really adding to the above post as they already talked about the acceleration and torquey nature of the 530D - but just wanted to reiterate, its absolutely brilliant. I put my foot down every chance i get, just to get the thrill of the acceleration. I drove the petrol too before making a decision, but that felt like just a regular car. This 3 litre diesel is something special. Whats more inspite of my heavy foot, i;m getting a decent average of 10 km per litre in city driving. Just love it. Look forward to my drive every single day.

Have you gotten your second service done? Can you share the cost and experience? Also, anyother G30 owners who have done their second service, please give your opinions.

Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 11:42   #464
BHPian

I'm thinking about getting the 530i M too. Can any owners comment on the fuel they use? BMW sales guy told me it works fine on normal 87 octane fuel, is that true?
Old 21st August 2019, 12:00   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
I'm thinking about getting the 530i M too. Can any owners comment on the fuel they use? BMW sales guy told me it works fine on normal 87 octane fuel, is that true?
You can’t go wrong with this one, except the back seat if you’ll be chauffeured, it’s too upright.

I see you’re in delhi and regular fuel is 91, that’s what the fuel lid on the vehicle also says and it workins perfectly on it though I like to add 99/97 only because I’ve both stations very close to my residence otherwise regular is good enough .
np23 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed