Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2019, 12:03   #466
Team-BHP Support

Re: The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
I'm thinking about getting the 530i M too. Can any owners comment on the fuel they use? BMW sales guy told me it works fine on normal 87 octane fuel, is that true?
I use regular petrol for my 330i GT and it works perfectly fine.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:16   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
You can’t go wrong with this one, except the back seat if you’ll be chauffeured, it’s too upright.

I see you’re in delhi and regular fuel is 91, that’s what the fuel lid on the vehicle also says and it workins perfectly on it though I like to add 99/97 only because I’ve both stations very close to my residence otherwise regular is good enough .
Regular fuel in delhi is 87 RON. 91 is Extra Premium from Indian Oil and Speed from BP. I think there are talks of 91 becoming normal fuel from next year with BS6, I might be wrong.
Old 6th September 2019, 10:43   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this hotel-owned 520D at KIAL couple of days back. Zoom into the rear tyres to note that both are space-savers! Does BMW at all condone this practice?

It was driving sedately (at that moment) without anyone in the back, so I assume it was heading to the nearest puncture shop. Does the 520D come with RFTs or normal tubeless tyres?

*Picture was taken by my rear seat passenger before anyone flames me
*Mods: was unsure where to post this – please move if inappropriate.
Attached Thumbnails
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-520d.jpeg  

itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:49   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
It was driving sedately (at that moment) without anyone in the back, so I assume it was heading to the nearest puncture shop. Does the 520D come with RFTs or normal tubeless tyres?
As far as I know, no Bimmer comes with tubeless tyres. Though I am not sure about the M series.

Running car on two space saver tyres is no problem. We had to do it once in Germany and there was no issue at all. One of-course needs to drive carefully as the handling becomes quite poor.

This car being a hotel owned car, there is a high probability that they have more than one 520d hence multiple space savers available in case of an emergency.
the_skyliner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:51   #470
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Spotted this hotel-owned 520D at KIAL couple of days back. Zoom into the rear tyres to note that both are space-savers! Does BMW at all condone this practice?

*Picture was taken by my rear seat passenger before anyone flames me
*Mods: was unsure where to post this – please move if inappropriate.
These are Emirates courtesy cars. It is quite possible that it was being driven to the BMW service centre near Decathalon for tyre replacements. not sure if it was being driven from the airport. They must have switched tyres in the parking lot and sent one car out for the replacements to avoid downtime.

Last edited by ajmat : 6th September 2019 at 10:53.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 14:39   #471
BHPian

Friends, so my 530i, came back from its second service at 18000 km last week and I thought I will share my opinion with other members:-

There was no complaint with the car, apart from the headrest leather detailed below and it drove as new.

Total Cost:- Rs 35,000
Major work done:- Oil change, air filter .etc., regular service

I paid the bill, but after a day through the forum, I realized that the service plans have become so much cheaper now that it makes full sense to pick it up, I did not take them last year as it was the same cost for a 4 cyl Petrol vs 6 Cyl Diesel at Rs 1.25Lakhs Plus GST, but now its down to Rs83000 plus GST (Rs 1 lakh total) for the 3years/40k plan that had I taken it at Rs1 lakh, I think it would have made more sense considering I have already paid Rs 18000 for the first service so in effect almost 50% of the amount already till 18000km, it is disappointing that I was not informed of this by the service centre and when I called the next day to see If I could purchase it then and negate the balance paid, they refused stating it's all online now and that the service records have been updated with BMW India. This was the only negative part of the service apart from the as always great service I get the workshop from my trusted adviser who's been taking care of our BMW's for about a decade now.

Further problem:-
1.)The driver headrest had leather chipping off, completely unacceptable in an 1 year old car, has never happened in my 4 year old E200 or even in my older 530d F10, brought it up, the car has gone for some work (mentioned below) and he has promised to get this sorted.

2.) I have always felt the headlights on the sport line had poor throw, though attributed this to me being used to the Full LED diamond lights on my w212 which was my daily drive over the past 4 years and so never made any official observations or complaints to the service centre, however on this service, my adviser himself noticed some issue, my driver asked but didn't really understand the problem and voluntary ordered replacement lights for both front lights, the vehicle has gone today for the replacement and I am looking forward to what changes eventually happen and if the lights were actually faulty in my vehicle and not just having a poorer throw by design.

Observations:-

1.)The car drives like a gem, and I love driving it on every occasion, infact have clocked almost 20000km in an year, for the record my E did 36000 in 3 years and only 4000 in the last since I picked up the new 5, so clearly I feel like driving it everywhere.

2.)The engine responsiveness is beautiful as is the sound, however the biggest surprise is the Fuel economy, my father owned the 528i(E39) and 325i (E90) and I remember the economy's were so bad better not be mentioned, and that's why he upgraded to the 530d F10 afterwards.
However the 530i is a different machine all together, I get 8-9kmpl regularly in Delhi traffic, and on a recent trip to Agra before the service, doing comfortable legal speeds 90-120kmph, and on my return being stuck in Delhi rush hour for about 8 odd Km, I still averaged 15kmpl at the end of the 450km journey. This is similar to the 2000 Honda City 1.5 exi we had back in the day, all of us remember that car right? Especially in that heathermist colour

3.) The more time I spend with this car, the more I love it looks, the sleek, aggressive and bent front end makes it seem like its ready to pounce, the fluid side lines, Uploading few pictures to show this point. I loved the regal stance of my F10, but the G30 has completely changed that now, it's super sharp and pleasing, plus it drives the way it looks, unlike my f10 where the handling and bouncy suspension never fully matched the Engine performance available. The best part I like about the G30,is that in today's world where every new generation is getting bigger and more mainstream, the G30 seems to be going back to it's root, I know it's grown bigger on paper, but I don't know why, maybe because of the better glass area and less bulked up front end, or what reasons the experts here might suggest, it feels much more compact (tighter is the best word) from the driving seat.

Clearly my dogs prefer the GLA

Glad to say I have put off my decision top replace this with the 7 (was tempted after the deals on the prefacelifted ones) and buy something different near the end of the year, maybe a livable sports car like the 718/C43 or an SUV like the RR sport or the x6 (when it comes out), lets see and this is reserved for another thread.

Happy to answer any queries.

Best
NP
Attached Thumbnails
The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-img_8607.jpg  

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-img_7141.jpg  

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-bmw-2.jpg  

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-bmw1.jpg  

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-bmw-3.jpg  

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-bmw-5.jpg  

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-bmw-6.jpg  

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-bmw-7.jpg  

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-bmw-8.jpg  

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-bmw-9.jpg  

The next-gen BMW 5-Series (G30). EDIT: Launched at Rs. 49.90 lakh-bmw-10.jpg  

Last edited by np23 : 13th September 2019 at 14:45.
np23 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 14:55   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
was tempted after the deals on the prefacelifted ones) and buy something different near the end of the year, maybe a livable sports car like the 718/C43 or an SUV like the RR sport or the x6 (when it comes out), lets see and this is reserved for another thread.
Are the prefacelifted ones yet in stock? What deals are on them?

You should check out the RR Velar if you want a SUV. It's not the quickest and no substitute for a sports car if that is what you want. However, it does feel really special!
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 15:06   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Are the prefacelifted ones yet in stock? What deals are on them?

You should check out the RR Velar if you want a SUV. It's not the quickest and no substitute for a sports car if that is what you want. However, it does feel really special!
Hi, I don't know now, but last month on the diesel top end, 30-35 Lakhs plus 3 years maintenance without even negotiating, sadly they didn't have a petrol so I skipped.

I will checkout it, So basically I do not need to replace any car, just that I got tempted by the offers on the 7 and now having the urge.

Basically if I go for the 7 I will replace my 5, else keep it and a buy leisure car mostly the cayman, drove it extensively loved it, can consider a SUV for the utility aspect and all LR's (except for the RR)are in the scheme of things so lets see. Even the all new Defender might be something different.

Last edited by np23 : 13th September 2019 at 15:09.
np23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 20:14   #474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is disappointing that I was not informed of this by the service centre and when I called the next day to see If I could purchase it then and negate the balance paid, they refused stating it's all online now and that the service records have been updated with BMW India.
He is correct, besides, service pack activation is done via BMW and they Invoice to BMW India instead of the customer.
Quote:
Further problem:-
1.)The driver headrest had leather chipping off, completely unacceptable in an 1 year old car,
Looks some sort of Oil or reaction with something. Mercedes uses Artificial leather so it may have stronger resistance and the leather on your older BMW was also different kind. They will replace under warranty. Nothing to worry, perhaps you can order some disposal covers as they use on Aircraft to prevent in future. It can repeat on the new one as well.

Quote:
I have put off my decision top replace this with the 7 (was tempted after the deals on the prefacelifted ones)

last month on the diesel top end, 30-35 Lakhs plus 3 years maintenance without even negotiating, sadly they didn't have a petrol so I skipped.

I will checkout it, So basically I do not need to replace any car, just that I got tempted by the offers on the 7 and now having the urge.

Basically if I go for the 7 I will replace my 5, else keep it and a buy leisure car mostly the cayman, drove it extensively loved it,
If you sit in the rear, nothing beats the 7 and the price at what you get the last few units is really tempting. 95-1 Cr was until last month which might have increased a bit now as there are hardly any cars left. If you must upgrade, don't wait. I am not convinced with RR stuff, it's no different than TATA to me, a match made in heaven surely
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 00:19   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
He is correct, besides, service pack activation is done via BMW and they Invoice to BMW India instead of the customer.

Looks some sort of Oil or reaction with something. Mercedes uses Artificial leather so it may have stronger resistance and the leather on your older BMW was also different kind. They will replace under warranty. Nothing to worry, perhaps you can order some disposal covers as they use on Aircraft to prevent in future. It can repeat on the new one as well.
Well it's driven by me 99% of the times and I don't remember the last time I drove with oil or anything, every evening I go to a five star hotel club post work and maybe the Valet there might be to blame, thank you will checkout these covers

Quote:
If you sit in the rear, nothing beats the 7 and the price at what you get the last few units is really tempting. 95-1 Cr was until last month which might have increased a bit now as there are hardly any cars left. If you must upgrade, don't wait. I am not convinced with RR stuff, it's no different than TATA to me, a match made in heaven surely
I am very seldom driven and for that I have kept me W212 facelifted E class and therefore the 7 is slowly being ruled out, plus at 29 I don't even think it'll suit me especially driving one, plus theres no 40i left except one unregistered but decently used one in the Jaipur showroom. What do you suggest sir?
So basically it was only considered because I got real tempted by the deal and was getting a surprisingly get offer for my 530i but now it doesn't seem the most logical

A dear friend who picked up a 530i along with me last year just picked up a new RR Sport (the new 2L 300hp petrol engine) and I liked the car, but the cabin quality was nowhere near the Germans, even not as good as my previous gen X5, but their cars look so special I might still check them out.
np23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2019, 06:53   #476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well it's driven by me 99% of the times... plus at 29 I don't even think it'll suit me especially driving one, plus theres no 40i left except one unregistered but decently used one in the Jaipur showroom. What do you suggest?[
Definitely not, at 29 and as a self-driven on Delhi Roads, there are certainly better things. Have you seen the new Z4? I saw one being delivered here at Chandigarh in white with Red and some very subtle changes. I didn't click the pictures but can get you the build if you are keen. Cayman's are good the way these looks and ride but you will soon be wanting more from the engines. On 6 cylinders Z4, you can have most of the "M" fun.

Quote:
A dear friend just picked up a new RR Sport (the new 2L 300hp petrol engine) and I liked the car, but the cabin quality was nowhere near the Germans, even not as good as my previous gen X5, but their cars look so special I might still check them out.
The interior quality and the kind of equipment JLR uses is usually nice, I haven't seen the 4 cylinder Petrol specifically, they might have skimmed somewhere. But the problem is the Electronics and overall reliability. Consumable and regular/ body parts are priced higher and it takes a while to get any non-regular stuff. At your age/ physique () Sports will definitely be a good vehicle if you can overlook service costs/ downtime.

Or perhaps, wait for the firsthand feedback from your friend. I don't think it should take long

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th September 2019 at 07:01.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2019, 00:30   #477
BHPian

What kind of discount can I expect on the 530i M-sport? Given that it's a petrol car, will there be lesser room for negotiating? And with the overall auto economy in a slump, is it realistic to expect enough discount to get the ex showroom price down from 60 to low 50s?
Old 5th October 2019, 00:56   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk997 View Post
What kind of discount can I expect on the 530i M-sport? Given that it's a petrol car, will there be lesser room for negotiating? And with the overall auto economy in a slump, is it realistic to expect enough discount to get the ex showroom price down from 60 to low 50s?
You can easily know off 10 lakhs from ex-showroom on BMW's. Just negotiate, don't be content with the discounts they claim as mouth watering.
stanjohn123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2019, 23:37   #479
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

GTO, All,

On Wednesday 30 Oct, I will be taking delivery of my car which is carbon black with Ivory white interiors.

Few questions on which I request your comments, thoughts, advise -

1. In comparison to the light coloured cars - white or silver, will black colour affect the heat absorbed /generated inside the car's engine bay? and if so will that cause variations in the cooling systems?
2. Which one recommended - Run flat tyres v/s regular tubeless? obviously I will utilise the initial RFT set that comes along. perhaps your advise can influence my next change.
3. Is BSI for 6 to 8 years worth the initial spend?
4. while taking possession, how many kilometres on the ODO should be taken as acceptable? As of now its 5 kms
5. my friend fills up Shell V power only for his 320D. while on outstation trips, he carries a sachet of some additive. Whats your take on type of diesel that I should fill up? Normal or premium? would you recommend additional additives?
6. in continuation to the above question, also need to consider that soon BS6 fuel only will be in supply; perhaps thats already in place! BS6 fuel wouldn't have the same lubricating properties (for the fuel injectors)in comparison to the BS4 fuel due to the less sulphur content. So whats the best alternative solution to this to not cause damage to the injectors.
7. Believe the 530D comes with double arm suspension at the front. Is this similar to double wishbone suspension set up that exists in Jag and Volvo?
8. During my TD, I felt very comfortable while in comfort mode and sturdy while in sport mode. Brilliant personality shift. should I be worried about the suspension's durability due to Indian roads? How many kms can be attributed to the suspension's life?
9. Now this is a critical question - We all know BMW's air intakes are lower than any other car in India. I was told that the car can slowly creep through water thats at half of the wheel's height. Is this true? and Any advise / demonstrative experiences in handling BMWs through water clogged roads?
10. does the initial driving pattern influence the timing chain's movements? should I be below any set speed for the first 1000 kms or so? will there be any run in behaviour sensed by the car?

Thank you all for reading through my questions. I eagerly look forward to all your comments and guidance.

Thank you
Old 29th October 2019, 09:05   #480
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
1. In comparison to the light coloured cars - white or silver, will black colour affect the heat absorbed /generated inside the car's engine bay? and if so will that cause variations in the cooling systems?
2. Which one recommended - Run flat tyres v/s regular tubeless? obviously I will utilise the initial RFT set that comes along. perhaps your advise can influence my next change.
3. Is BSI for 6 to 8 years worth the initial spend?
4. while taking possession, how many kilometres on the ODO should be taken as acceptable? As of now its 5 kms
8. During my TD, I felt very comfortable while in comfort mode and sturdy while in sport mode. Brilliant personality shift. should I be worried about the suspension's durability due to Indian roads? How many kms can be attributed to the suspension's life?
10. does the initial driving pattern influence the timing chain's movements? should I be below any set speed for the first 1000 kms or so? will there be any run in behaviour sensed by the car?
1. I don't think you need to worry about dark colored cars affecting temperature in the engine bay. Usually the engine bay temperature will be quite high way above ambient temperature and the dark color cannot add any heat due to the negative temperature gradient with the ambient. What you should be asking is how the dark colored car would affect cabin temperature and how it loads the AC and if AC would be strong enough to cool the cabin.
2. I think the 5 series comes with Michelin PS4 ZP run flats. TBHPian Dr_AD has lots of positive feedback on these tires. Earlier Bridgestone runflats had very harsh rides and many have changed to tubeless. But in case of Michelins you may not need the change to tubeless. But this is very subjective and only you will be able to decide after you drive the car.
3. Definitely take the 6 year BRI which is the extended warranty. BSI makes sense only if your yearly running is more than 15000 kilometers. If it is less than 10000 kilometers a year, BSI does not make sense.
4. I think anything below 50 should be fine.
8. I believe suspensions are covered under BRI. In this case, if you have a 6 year BRI, you really don't have to worry about suspension life.
10. Follow the run-in procedure listed in the user manual. That should take care of everything.

Last edited by graaja : 29th October 2019 at 09:06.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed