Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 15:41   #91
BHPian

Re: New Ford Fiesta to be facelifted in 2014?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I really doubt on that. Do you really think Ford has any chance now? No way .. When there are so many other good cars like new City, Verna, Vento, Linea, etc who will buy this non performing, flop car? If you have to buy one, will you buy it? I doubt. If i am there in the market for new sedan, i will never buy this. I can think of new Linea or new City but surely not Fiesta which is flop from day one. Resale will be a disaster for sure.
Floppiness is a function of several parameters which might lead to reduced sales and 2 significant factors which contributed for Fiesta were
a) Pricing
b) Rear space (rear bench was good for 2 adults only).
Consumers would have still compromised with point b) and the best example of that is Ford Ecosport but what killed the brand as soon as it was launched was Pricing.
What sales you are seeing in last 6 months is because the car was out of production and it was not available for sale.

I have driven this car personally and it carries forward legacy of Ford Classic (erst while Fiesta) till B pillar after which it seems the designers went to sleep and looking at the current shape of new model, it seems the same

What can now save this car is competitive pricing as Ford has lots of enthusiasts who would love to upgrade their Figo's and Classic's with Fiesta.
Just remember, Ford has next to nil presence in C segment right now which was their strong hold till few years back and they would try about every sales trick to get back to winning ways in C segment.

Btw, there are many examples of cars having flopped initially but later went on to become market success and ALTO is one of them. The car once seemed to have no future when Jelly bean Zen and 800 were selling like hot cakes but repositioning of Zen to Estilo and ageing of 800 did the trick and rest is history.
Old 12th June 2014, 17:13   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^ We are coming to same point again. I never said its a bad car. Point I am making is its a Big Flop car already, then why relaunch it with minor changes? It will surely be a flop again, i have no doubt about that. Even if they reduce the price, no body will buy it. Okay, it will sale few, may be average 200 per month for next few months. Will you call it a success? Will it give any benefits to Ford? Don't think so. It has flopped so much that, Most common people don't even know that such car exists on Indian roads, it's a fact, I am not joking.
Aniketi..
Why this fascination about "Flop Car" thing with Fiesta.
Even very good products fail in the market. Fiesta was killed mainly by the pricing.

That doesnt mean that the product is a bad one. Fiesta has a fantastic chassis that gives immense driving pleasure.

Can you comment that a Verna is a great drivers car with a felling like traveling in a boat?
Every car has its pros and cons.
To label a car only by virtue of its standing in the market can never give a true picture of ts capabilities.

Also, please refrain from calling Fiesta a flop car again and again as it does not do justice to its capabilities.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 17:55   #93
Senior - BHPian

Okay, so should i call it as a market dud? Or Unsuccessful car? Or should we call it a pricing disaster from Ford? What difference it is going to make? Things will not change at all. Point i am trying to make is Ford is wasting time, energy and money behind this car which is already a failure. I see no point in it.

If you see current market scenario, I guess if Ford launches all together new car (New Figo, CS version or Sedan) then many people can think of it, will get attracted to it. Or If they increase the production of EcoSport & make it readily available, many new people will be interested and will buy it. In contrast to this, hardly any body will look at the facelifted Fiesta once it is launched. Most people will not even notice it has changed.
Old 12th June 2014, 17:58   #94
Senior - BHPian

Why this anti Fiesta crusade?
Also, probably Ford will also not want a biased customer like you.

They are in the market and offering a product that is successful in the European nations.
Before it is even launched, labeling it as a flop is not justified.
Do you know the launch price? No

Do you know the USPs? No.
Lets not be critical. Pls. see things with an open unbiased mind set.
Old 12th June 2014, 18:17   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, so should i call it as a market dud? Or Unsuccessful car? Or should we call it a pricing disaster from Ford? What difference it is going to make? Things will not change at all. Point i am trying to make is Ford is wasting time, energy and money behind this car which is already a failure. I see no point in it.
Aniket, if every manufacture thought like you, we would have had only a couple of cars in every segment to choose from.

According to your logic, manufacturers should try launching new models if existing ones don't sell.
But you must not forget, that they have already invested a lot in the launch of an existing model, and they have to do everything to make it better before shelving the model.
Launch of a new model is always more costly, and then there is no guarantee either that the new car would sell more than its competitors.

So Ford is doing a very logical thing in trying to spruce up its existing model before trying something completely new.
Old 12th June 2014, 18:53   #96
Senior - BHPian

I am open and unbiased only and not at all Anti Fiesta guy. That is the only reason i want Ford to give us better, new cars. I myself like Ford brand. Its one of the top brands in the world, right? So i expect more from them, something good from them. Is anything wrong in that? When i was in US, i seen 'n' number of models from Ford. So many good cars they have. What we get in India? Ford classic which is decade old now. Figo which is good but again has some oldish looks to it, need new model badly. EcoSport is very good but people not getting delivery only. Lol. Also they have increased prices for it like anything. Anything else? Yes .. New Fiesta !!! Its already being rejected by Indian people, may be due to its price. That's it, nothing else. Also its not necessary that if some model is hit in European market will be hit in India also. See Polo, Punto. Indian people has some different taste, different liking. As a company, Ford should look into that & invest in that.

So IMHO, Ford should give something new, better to Indian customers. Look at Duster. Its costly, still people buy it. Look at their own EcoSport, lots of people still waiting for it. Look at new City, people are buying it. So at the end of the day, if you give something new, fresh, attractive which suits Indian people, it will sell. People will not buy something which is already in the market and not selling. Indian customer has changed a lot in last 5 years. People want new cars, with newer designs, technology, fresh look and not old cars like Ford classic, Figo. See last 1 years numbers for Ford, it reflects that only.

Last edited by aniketi : 12th June 2014 at 18:55.
Old 12th June 2014, 19:29   #97
Senior - BHPian

@aniketi:

Lets make few things clear:
-The fiesta bombed because it was priced wrong.
-It had less than steller rear seat space.

Did I personally find anything wrong in the product per se?
Absolutely not. It's got the most refined diesel, is fuel efficient yet has true usable power required for Indian roads and driving conditions, is the best handling diesel sedan in its class and also is built safe. For once, let the public decide on whether the product should succeed or not. I hear this time it will be priced aggressively, and this car has a great sounding audio and tech like sync applink is something I am looking forward to see. Ford has always positioned this as a driver's car and never highlighted as a chauffeur driven car. Else, this segment would have no choices for either of the category. The H and H were always mass market oriented, and will always appeal to majority of he audience. The linea T jet is a great petrol powered driver oriented sedan, yet it sells in minuscule numbers, but atleast there is a CHOICE available for the customer. Let the public decide on whats good or not. Tell me in this class, which diesel sedan is a true driver's car except this? I bet none. Also, I had personally seen the car at the auto expo and it looks much better in person inside and out. There are choices available for everyone, and this is a free market, for anyone to decide on whats right or not. We need to start looking beyond the cheap hatches and compact sedans and appreciate manufacturers for giving us the choice, even if it has limited buyers.

The old verna and elantra bombed, and see the sales figures of their newer gen models with the same name. This car deserves a second chance,and I hope public will give it, provided its priced and marketed well.

There have been cars which have sold even less, so no point in crying like a spoilt kid fed up of whining, somehow his reminds me of a person who is a H lunatic on FB, John K.

Last edited by sidindica : 12th June 2014 at 19:31.
sidindica is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 21:46   #98
BHPian

Hey Sidindica and Arit,
Aniketi just meant to say why to relaunch a product when it had been already a flop. We shouldn't take it otherwise. He has not said anywhere anything against the car, he has said against the product, in market's perspective. In his support, we have witnessed a few such examples where repricing couldn't help, the Baleno and the Jazz. Both these were good cars but because of bad pricing strategy, poor sales made the manufacturers to reprice, which just didn't work out.
IMO, even then, manufacturers should correct the miatakes and relaunch the product. There is nothing to lose for them. And we, the buyers can only benefit if there are more options. For Ford, if it clicks, well and good, if it doesn't, not much problem, at least they tried.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 10:55   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
@aniketi:

Lets make few things clear:
-The fiesta bombed because it was priced wrong.
-It had less than steller rear seat space.

Did I personally find anything wrong in the product per se?
Absolutely not. It's got the most refined diesel, is fuel efficient yet has true usable power required for Indian roads and driving conditions, is the best handling diesel sedan in its class and also is built safe. For once, let the public decide on whether the product should succeed or not. I hear this time it will be priced aggressively, and this car has a great sounding audio and tech like sync applink is something I am looking forward to see. Ford has always positioned this as a driver's car and never highlighted as a chauffeur driven car. Else, this segment would have no choices for either of the category. The H and H were always mass market oriented, and will always appeal to majority of he audience. The linea T jet is a great petrol powered driver oriented sedan, yet it sells in minuscule numbers, but atleast there is a CHOICE available for the customer. Let the public decide on whats good or not. Tell me in this class, which diesel sedan is a true driver's car except this? I bet none. Also, I had personally seen the car at the auto expo and it looks much better in person inside and out. There are choices available for everyone, and this is a free market, for anyone to decide on whats right or not. We need to start looking beyond the cheap hatches and compact sedans and appreciate manufacturers for giving us the choice, even if it has limited buyers.

The old verna and elantra bombed, and see the sales figures of their newer gen models with the same name. This car deserves a second chance,and I hope public will give it, provided its priced and marketed well.

There have been cars which have sold even less, so no point in crying like a spoilt kid fed up of whining, somehow his reminds me of a person who is a H lunatic on FB, John K.
So you are saying car has no issue, right? Still it failed? Why? Because you only giving 2 reasons. I will give add one more here. Car is not a looker or i would say boring from many peoples point of view. Me also somewhat agree to that. You saying let public decide. That's what is my whole point man. Public has already rejected the car, do you agree? Then why relaunch it? I am not saying Ford to shut their shop in India, i am saying give us something better, different, fresh which will again be like driver's delight. If it is good, people will buy it for sure. People has accepted Figo, EcoSport as those are good products. Similarly people will accept if they give some nice sedan as a option to City, Verna, Vento, etc.

You are saying there is no other car which is true driver's car. I guess we have better cars like Linea, Vento, Rapid, Duster, Terrano etc. which comes in more or less same price bracket only. That's the only reason those cars sell much more than New Fiesta.

You also saying old Verna & Elantra bombed and new models are very successful, very true, i agree. But is there anything similar other than name in the new car?? New cars are completely new with great design, better interiors, better style, better class & what not. Both are better in every aspect than old car. Is that the case with Fiesta? Big NO. Its more or less the same car.

Anyways, i guess let market only decide the fate of the new Fiesta. Only thing i can say to Ford is Best Of Luck, you badly need it

Last edited by aniketi : 13th June 2014 at 10:58.
Old 13th June 2014, 12:06   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, so should i call it as a market dud? Or Unsuccessful car? Or should we call it a pricing disaster from Ford? What difference it is going to make? Things will not change at all. Point i am trying to make is Ford is wasting time, energy and money behind this car which is already a failure.
Actually, there's another view. I am a Linea owner and one of my choice couple of years was Fiesta. If not for the ugly rear, I would certainly have bought it, because that's the only sedan with good handling and automatic transmission. Basically, it had almost everything that Linea offered, but the bad rear ruined all. The current design may not be perfect, but with a wider tail lamp, it definitely looks better. Now it seems to me that it's worth the compromise. I am quite sure there would be some takers for the car.

One of the factors that might help Ford is that the brand "Fiesta" has a good reputation in India.
Old 15th June 2014, 15:15   #101
PPS
Senior - BHPian

The Media drive is happening today in Bangalore.

Source: https://twitter.com/sandeepsrikanth/...975424/photo/1
New Ford Fiesta to be facelifted in 2014 *EDIT* Now launched @ 7.69 lakhs-f1.jpg

New Ford Fiesta to be facelifted in 2014 *EDIT* Now launched @ 7.69 lakhs-f2.jpg
PPS is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 16:27   #102
BHPian

The dashboard plastics in both the pre-facelifted Fiesta and the Ecosport are or at least look HARD and cut-price, if you ask me. This looks better thanks to the change in colours, I just hope they don't still look hard and shiny in person.

The Honda City too is replete with hard, cheap plastics but they manage to mask that through the choice of colours, the grain and the overall drama of the dashboard design and layout. It appears that Ford have tried to do the same with the facelift.

They'll need to price this Fiesta quite aggressively, what with the small engine and the cramped rear. I sure hope it does better than the first time around: despite a few limitations, in the end it is still a much better all-rounded sedan than both the bestsellers, the City and the Verna.
Old 15th June 2014, 18:22   #103
Senior - BHPian

ACI' first impressions of the updated 2014 Ford Fiesta sedan

The lovely steering remains.

Quote:
The Fiesta remains a sweet car to steer; the electric steering is light at low speeds and weighs up accurately as you go faster. The Fiesta’s suspension also remains as impressive as ever, with an uncanny ability to glide over bumps, while still maintaining great poise out on the highway. Straightline stability is simply outstanding. The Fiesta’s stiff body also provides great insulation from engine, road, suspension and tyre noise.
New Ford Fiesta to be facelifted in 2014 *EDIT* Now launched @ 7.69 lakhs-0_468_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20140615072534_img20140615wa0008.jpg
New Ford Fiesta to be facelifted in 2014 *EDIT* Now launched @ 7.69 lakhs-0_468_700_httpi.haymarket.net.auextraimages20140615072549_img20140615wa0010.jpg
deetjohn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 22:10   #104
Senior - BHPian

Another picture of the beautiful sedan clicked by a friend who is a photo-journo.

New Ford Fiesta to be facelifted in 2014 *EDIT* Now launched @ 7.69 lakhs-img_92876822137168.jpeg

Me likes this. Waiting for the pricing. Please ford don't screw it up this time.
SoumenD is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2014, 22:12   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

Saw this car at Nelamnagala on the Mangalore - Bangalore NH75.

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos
speedsatya is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed