Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2013, 10:26   #76
BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Stingray : Picture Preview

Woah..good uplift, much good looking than the traditional WagonR's. I am pretty sure another couple of months' down the lane, the after market will have enough accessory lists for jazzing up this car more.
Old 28th August 2013, 10:44   #77
BHPian

Good upgrade on some features as per the pictures. Projectors, Black interiors, side skirts.
Though I still wouldn't put my vote for it in the looks department. IMHO, the overall package looks more cheesy than earlier. Wouldn't want to be seen driving in one.
Old 28th August 2013, 10:51   #78
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Stingray (WagonR) - Launched @ 4.09 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Hell no! I would not want to buy a sporty car running on gas. But who am I? I believe most of the Wagon R's sold are either the CNG or LPG variants so, this makes perfect sense for the company.

Any plans for the CNG variant of the Swift, Maruti?
sparsely sporty you mean .

To find a CNG Variant of Swift, just head over to Gujarat where almost every vehicle is CNG powered.

But imho, the Stingray (Indian) looks good, and borrows heavily from the Korean / Japanese styled tall boy designs.

What is nice is this new trend of 'democratization' of features, now in hatchbacks we get project lamps, electronic OVRMs, sunroofs, automatics gearboxes. Also proprietary high end technologies are now featuring in their entry level cars, viz the i-vTec in the Brio, the TSi on the Polo.

This is a great sign for the folks who want the features but don't want to spend them on the big brands.

sorry got a bit offtopic here.

cheers,
ac
Old 28th August 2013, 13:02   #79

Just got my Waggy VXi delivered on 9th Aug with an onroad price of 4.65 lakhs in Pune. I am not sure if I should feel sad about not waiting for Stingray, its just a new car on the outside and I am not sure whether a premium of 40k to 50k is justified. Anyways I wasn't aware of the launch whne I booked the car in July.

By the way I am a new member and this is my first post on team-bhp :-)
Old 28th August 2013, 17:10   #80
BHPian

What I feel of the stingray is that it is just a market gimmick. It might be a 'New' model for a novice car owner or the huge chunk of population who 'Simply' buy a Maruti. For eg:

1. The interiors are hardly anything different from the older siblings.
a. The air cons are from the 90's especially the air circulation modes
b. The steering controls are fighting for space. I am sure the driver will have one eye on the controls when using them
c. The seats are hardly welcoming (by looks, i have not seen one in flesh) with a recline not made for long drives.

2. The rear is no different. Yes the glass covered chrome is really not going to make any difference.

3. The comic of all, the important upgrades that a customer would love to have is under the 'Additional Accessories'. This is purely unethical from Maruthi. It is just another way to keep the tag price low.

What i Liked in the sting:

1. The headlamps being first-in-segment is really cool
2. The higher end getting ABS and airbags
cogweelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 17:32   #81
BHPian

The stingray could have been the much needed booster dose for wagon r had it been launched at the same price point and replaced the outgoing model. The facelift would have kept the brand alive and kicking for a couple of years atleast.

In addition the looks are sufficiently different. The front looks strong, butch and a tad mini range roveresque . The additional features including electronical orvms and the alloys would also have been appreciated.

However a 50k premium does seem to take the glitter off.
gaurav_3000ad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 21:07   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Extremely smart way of expanding the WagonR's market. Maruti knows best that style sells in the hatchback segment. Just ask the Swift.

Lets not forget that the Ritz & previous-gen Swift were identical cars. In fact, the Ritz was always the more practical. The Ritz' introduction added another 5,000 - 6,000 sales to Maruti's kitty, without affecting the Swift's sales at all.

The StingRay is a low-cost risk for Maruti. Their long-time strategy of having multiple, overlapping models is served well by the Stingray.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2013, 23:55   #83
BHPian

Does the inspiration for Stingray come from the Americas?
'Stingray' from Corvette and styling from Ford Flex cross over?
May be front grille make me think like that..

Old 29th August 2013, 11:44   #84
BHPian

Anyone tried the beams at night?
How is the throw and the brightness. If they aren't sufficient, then I would see many users using the high beams also adding to the nuisance on the road.

The stingray, as seen from the pictures looks good. The straight creases up-front make it look a more boxy than the WagonR, also the missing roof-rails add to the feeling. I am waiting to see one in flesh.

Is the Head Unit provided in the Stingray same as to what was being offered in the WagonR or are there any changes? Would have been more better if they had introduced Bluetooth functionality in there.

I like the blue lit console more than my orange lit one, but when changing the backlight of the console, I feel they should have changed it for the Head Unit and AC controls as well. Some in blue and some in orange might not just go well. Seems like it has been changed after-market. Also, the piano finish looks nice in the pics, hope it stays the same way till the life of the car.

The optional accessories that MS is providing is for making the car more sportier in visuals, I just hope that there is something from MS that provides the sportiness from under the hood.

As some guru's have pointed out here, it is more of a marketing gimmick that might pay off well for MSIL.
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 12:05   #85
BHPian

Bad looks compared to its competitors I feel, is this a successor to the Wagon R?
Old 29th August 2013, 12:44   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernaCular View Post
is this a successor to the Wagon R?
No, it is going to be sold along with the current WagonR with a premium of around 30k-40k.

WagonR was also never meant for looks, WagonR always for practicality. I never fell in love with the way it looks, but yes, I really appreciated the practicality part of the Waggy and it sells due to that plus.
Old 29th August 2013, 19:22   #87
BHPian

The Stingray is more like a body-kit to the existing Wagon-R costing 40-50k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakra View Post
I am not sure if I should feel sad about not waiting for Stingray, its just a new car on the outside and I am not sure whether a premium of 40k to 50k is justified. Anyways I wasn't aware of the launch whne I booked the car in July.

By the way I am a new member and this is my first post on team-bhp :-)
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new buy
Don't feel sad and spoil the fun of owning a new car. You brought this car because you loved it then why change your opinion now.
TheG2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2013, 13:25   #88
BHPian

Not So Happy with It

The car does look striking on first view.
But look any closer, and you start to see:
  1. Low quality plastics in the interior
  2. El Cheapo Head Unit
  3. Blue speedo light, blue floor well light, and orange light on head unit?
  4. Chaotic design in the front & rear exteriors, mostly due to part sharing - refer to the video link below for Japanese Variant
  5. The aweful front overhang
And the list goes on.

The only thing I really like on the car are the Projector headlamps. Although I'm not quite sure of their effectiveness. Look good, nonetheless.

I would suggest taking a look at the Japanese Stingray:

So many shortcuts might be very important to keep the price low, but just look at it - the Japanese variant looks so much better, seems well made, and overall such a better package.

Cheers and drive safe,
Sam
Old 30th August 2013, 17:41   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheG2 View Post
The Stingray is more like a body-kit to the existing Wagon-R costing 40-50k.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new buy
Don't feel sad and spoil the fun of owning a new car. You brought this car because you loved it then why change your opinion now.
Thank you TheG2 for the warm welcome to the forum. with you that Stingray is just an exterior job and doesn't justify the price quoted by Maruti Suzuki. Instead of paying the premium price one can consider a next segment car like Swift, Ritz or cars offered by other manufacturer's at that price point.
Old 30th August 2013, 22:14   #90
BHPian

Quite an interesting car, IMHO. Could ideally appeal to the following set of consumers:

1. A typical 19 yr old, hippy, college guy. He loves the Beat for everything it offers but is shying away from it either due to the car being slightly old, or because he is born to typical Indian parents who refuse to buy him anything but a Maruti. (BTW: I too, am a 19 yr, hippy, college guy )

2. A young professional who loves the Swift for its looks and peace of mind but wants something slightly cheap and spacious.

3. A 40 yr old facing midlife crisis but has a very tight budget.

All in all, being a Maruti, I expect it to rake in significant numbers and bring home profits. However, what remains to be seen is how the Indian customer compares it to an almost similarly-priced Ritz, an overall better (albeit slightly feature-less) car on its own right.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks