Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2013, 23:10   #91
BHPian

Re: Not So Happy with It

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
The car does look striking on first view.
But look any closer, and you start to see:
  1. Low quality plastics in the interior
  2. Blue speedo light, blue floor well light, and orange light on head unit?
  3. Chaotic design in the front & rear exteriors, mostly due to part sharing - refer to the video link below for Japanese Variant
And the list goes on.

Cheers and drive safe,
Sam
but I disagree. Comparing the Indian Stingray with it's original Japanese counterpart is like, as has been said on this forum a gazillion times, comparing apples to oranges!

The Jap Stingray is a completely different product, right from the the way it looks on the exterior(both front and back) to the way they've set things up inside.

*The plastics quality has definitely been a step up from the current standard Wagon-R, as per my observations. This can be noticed if you do a one-on-one comparison of the 2 vehicles in question for sale in the Indian market; dashboard-to-dashboard and door trim to door trim.
*The blue floor-well light you mention is part of the accessories list; not part of standard equipment. And as far as orange light on head unit goes, it fuses well with the piano black finish of the HU and parts of the dashboard.
Old 1st September 2013, 09:12   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti Suzuki Stingray : Picture Preview

Had been to a dealer yesterday and also was shown the stingray. It is Maruti's recipe to make a wagonR owner

Saw a red coloured one and though the front looks a but quirky, everything else is well put up.
There were already deliveries being made and the interiors are surely very premium compared to what is seen in the WagonR, both grey variant and the later launched beige variant. Maruti has definitely come a long way from just stickers and add on accessories, as projector headlamps, leather wrapped steering, etc are a new game for them. Else we would see the usual side graphics, wheel covers and a truckload of MGA.

According to the sales info, the stingray has not eaten into wagonR sales. Think the sales figures will tell the truth. However the manager was confident that the two cars would sell well together. Gun metal finish alloys is also a good addition.

Have planned to ditch the silver theme in my WagonR and transform it into piano black. Silver has become an eyesore for me after seeing the piano black.
Old 1st September 2013, 14:10   #93
Senior - BHPian

Saw the Stingray at Rohan Motors, Noida yesterday. Must say that the exteriors are the highlight of the whole package. But, the interiors are only a bit better (mainly because of the all black theme), otherwise all other things (design, quality, etc.) are same the Wagon-R standing by side.

However, I fear the catchy interiors could also be a magnet for expensive repair, because of the transparent plastic grill & it may also loose its shine over time causing the same to look dirty.

Still I feel the premium over Wagon-R for the Stingray is justified to a great extent, definitely a good differentiation of product & (as GTO has mentioned) clever marketing by Maruti-Suzuki .

PS: This car looks good in Dark shades, in lighter shades (refer test drive car), it looks even taller than regular model & definitely not as good.
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:26   #94
BHPian

I feel the price difference between the existing Wagon R is slightly high. If you are not very keen on having projector headlamps and gun metal shaded alloys, the tendancy would be to go for the regular Wagon R which is comparatively cheaper with almost similar specs in the other departments. I feel unless Maruti stops selling the current version, this will become like the Fiesta classic outselling new fiesta. Let us wait and see.
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:41   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
I feel unless Maruti stops selling the current version, this will become like the Fiesta classic outselling new fiesta. Let us wait and see.
Unlike Fiesta classic and new Fiesta which had nothing in common, Wagon R and Stingray share most parts. So its a very low risk game for Maruti.

From a manufacturing perspective, it would be slightly costlier than producing a higher end variant of Wagon R. Hence they would not be having much of an issue even if Stingray sells around 1-2k per month. I guess even the Swift ZXi variant might have sold just around that mark considering their availability in used car market.

With Estilo production stopped and the slump in the auto industry in general, they certainly have enough bandwidth to produce some Stingrays without compromising the capacity of anything else.
Old 2nd September 2013, 21:42   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
The Maruti Suzuki Stingray has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 4.13 - 4.70 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

Reflector grille at the front is one of the differentiating features of the Stingray. You can add a LED surround for the grille as an official accessory.
Looks El Cheapo. Like those 100 rupee plastic toy cars sold on the footpath having the silver/chrome-ish paper interiors.
Old 3rd September 2013, 00:16   #97
BHPian

Was passing by a Maruti showroom so just decided to stop by and take a look at the Stingray. I must say, Maruti guys are the Kings of packaging the same vehicle with a different look and selling it.

I guess even this car will be lapped up by the innumerable Indians who just want to buy a Maruti.
Old 3rd September 2013, 10:55   #98
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Yesterday I passed by Shivam Motors, Kandivali West, Mumbai & had a close look at new Maruti (WagonR) Stingray - Red Color.

I must say the car looks good (atleast in showroom). The glass in place of front grill & the projector lamps really looks great. Though this is a matter of personal choice, but in general the projector lamps enhance the look of the car & clearly distinguishes the car from other hatchbacks.

But as I said earlier the car looks incomplete without roof-rails. I still fail to understand the logic behind removing roof-rails.

Thanks,
Old 17th September 2013, 18:38   #99
BHPian

Attached the ARAI documentation for Sting ray.

Thanks to @DazzlerKiran for splitting up the attachment into smaller and manageable chunks!

Last edited by SupratikDebnath : 17th September 2013 at 18:43.
SupratikDebnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 19:26   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupratikDebnath View Post
Attached the ARAI documentation for Sting ray.
As per the first pdf file, there will also be a taxi variant of the Stingray.

Mods, will there be an official review of Stingray?
Old 3rd October 2013, 11:15   #101

Hey guys,
I have come to believe that the Wagon R is going through some mid life crisis..
But nevertheless, I am sure there is a lot of feasibility for modifications for its sisters (existing Wagon R, Estilo, A Star and Alto K10(?)). All thanks to the stingray.
At the top of my head, for A Star, I think we can use the steering wheel (Vxi or VXi(O) variant) from the stingray and throw in those alloys as well. Maruti presents to you the the limited edition AStar.
Which reminds me, let me call up Mandovi and find out.

Cheers,

Vikram
Old 30th December 2013, 18:36   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

The premium variant of the Wagon R model, the Stingray, is all set to receive the diesel treatment by Maruti, as scooped exclusively by Motorbeam.

Quote:
The latest version of the WagonR, the Stingray is all set to join its elder brothers in the diesel market. The diesel variant would be launched in the Stingray version only and not in the standard one.

We are expecting the car to be equipped with an 800cc, twin-cylinder, turbo diesel engine with a peak power of 55 BHP. The 800cc motor would be owned by Suzuki and hence we can expect the car to be priced low. This engine would also be used in the YL7 which is replacing the Zen Estilo and A-Star in our country.

We are expecting the Stingray diesel to be priced somewhere around Rs 4.75 lakhs (ex-showroom).

SOURCE - http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/maruti...stingray-only/
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 19:24   #103
BHPian

2 pot diesel? Thats is the limit for cost cutting. This is really crazy. Vehicle size has gone up and power gone down. And I am sure there will be a premium for Diesel. Buyers deserve better in a car. I am sure, it will sound like a rick on four wheels.

I can live with a two pot in Nano, because it was positioned that way for being a low cost car and they did what ever possible to cut costs keeping high quality in mind.

Something similar coming from India's largest car manufacturer, cutting corners like this, is unacceptable to me.

Last edited by HillMan : 30th December 2013 at 19:29.
Old 30th December 2013, 19:54   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
2 pot diesel? Thats is the limit for cost cutting.
This is what you get if you remove 2 cylinders from a 4 cylinder 1.6L engine. I guess that's how they derived this engine! I think the original R&D by Suzuki might be done for a 4 cylinder 1.6L diesel engine which would be a respectable engine for most of its European models.

Multiple configurations possible with modifications to this engine would be:
2-cyl 800cc
3-cyl 1200cc
4-cyl 1600cc

May be the engine bay of Wagon R is not big enough to accommodate a bigger engine and turbocharger.
Old 30th December 2013, 20:38   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The premium variant of the Wagon R model, the Stingray, is all set to receive the diesel treatment by Maruti, as scooped exclusively by Motorbeam...
Did they mention any approximate time of launch? Sorry, could NOT open the link at office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
2 pot diesel? Thats is the limit for cost cutting. This is really crazy. Vehicle size has gone up and power gone down. And I am sure there will be a premium for Diesel. Buyers deserve better in a car. I am sure, it will sound like a rick on four wheels...
With Maruti, I would be inclined to believe that the weight also would have gone down. But whatever we say, Maruti knows how to make a peppy enough car with high FE and that's what the masses want. If Honda could get away with a noisy diesel, am sure Maruti can run away with one too.

Plus, as long as there are buyers for these cars / engines, we can never expect a change in manufacturer attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post

Multiple configurations possible with modifications to this engine would be:
2-cyl 800cc
3-cyl 1200cc
4-cyl 1600cc

May be the engine bay of Wagon R is not big enough to accommodate a bigger engine and turbocharger.
I would see it this way; The first one for Wagon R, second for Swift / Ritz and the third one for the premium hatchback + (YL1) Sedan! Product differentiation + Total paisa vasool with just one engine.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 30th December 2013 at 20:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks